HK Disneyland April 2020

Version 6

Mouseketeer
Hi Guys

We are a family of 4, considering a trip to HK Disneyland in April 2020.

The tentative plan at this stage would be 3 days on Hong Kong Island staying in the Pacific Place area (with a day or 2 at Ocean Park, shopping, some sights and lots of food). And then over to the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel for 5 or 6 nights just to relax and enjoy the resort and the park.

I have a few questions.

1. Is 5 or 6 nights too long on Lantau Island?
2. Is April a good time to visit in terms of weather and crowds?
3. Any other input/tips?

Thanks in advance.

1. Well...not really, there's one more tourist attraction on Lantau Island: Ngong Ping 360. You take a cable car up a mountain to Ngong Ping Village. You can easily spend a day here. It's an easy day trip from Disney (just 2 stops on the MTR). I personally would add 1 more day in the city and remove 1 day in Disneyland

Ngong Ping 360

2. April temperature is around mid 20s (Celcius). Crowd should be low in Disneyland and not too crowded in the city.

3. Ride the Star Ferry, visit Victoria Peak, see the Walk of Fame in the Avenue of the Stars (Hong Kong's version of Hollywood's Hall of Fame)

Get the Oyster Card (prepaid tap card). Makes public transport easier.

Thanks for the feedback. Forgot to ask- when is the new frozen themed land expected to open?

1. It could be a bit long but if you plan to take advantage of the things at the hotel I don't see why you couldn't stay at the Disneyland hotel the whole time.
2. April is good for crowds and weather. But if this is a once in a lifetime type of trip, you may want to wait until the castle is finished. Halloween/Christmas time would probably be better for that although crowds may be slightly higher.
3. The zoological + botanical gardens on Hong Kong Island is a not well known free park that could be worth a couple hour visit. Noah's Ark and the Nature Garden across the street from there are worth a visit if you're Christian. If you are able to go into China, Chimelong Ocean Kingdom in Zhuhai is a lot more impressive than Ocean Park. About 1.5 hrs from Hong Kong but I stay a night when I go.

I live on Lantau. I prefer it to the rest of HK. I think it’s fine to stay for 5-6 nights. It’s not like you can’t get out or away if you don’t want-you will be right by the MTR with links to the rest of the city if you need a break.

It will start to get warm in April, but won’t be as miserable as the summer.

Tips: buy an octopus card for transportation. If you go to Ngong Ping, buy tickets for the cable car in advanced (or take a blue Lantau taxi instead). The line to buy tickets can get very long. Avoid Citygate Outlets on the weekends. The crowds are unbearable! If you want some different food options while staying at Disney, take the MTR 2 stops to Tsing Yi. The mall there (Maritime Square) has lots of restaurants, and a better selection that Citygate in Tung Chung which is the same distance.

My family of 4 went in October of 2017, and hands down, I think Halloween is just done really well in Disneyland parks in Asia in general. While we were there, it was very chill and lines were not long at all for one of their busiest times of the year. So I think you'll be fine in April. Compared to Disneyland in California; 30-60 minutes waits are nothing.

As amazing as I love our trip, what I haven't seen people comment is HK is the smallest of all the overseas Disneylands. It doesn't have a secondary theme park near it like everyone else. You can easily spend half a day going through all the rides, and the other half enjoying shows and the little details. A 2nd day would be to go back on favorites and shop/dine. We went for a 2 days at the beginning of the trip, and because it's so cheap to go, we went for 6 hours before we flew out on our last day.

To answer your questions:
1. Six days is a lot to spend on Lantau Island, HK is so friendly to get around, stay more centralized and get around! It takes about 45 mins - 1 hr to get on and off the island and there's just so much more to see and eat off Lantau. Plus, all the delicious food you are 60-75% cheaper outside of Disney. One thing I would have loved to do was may resort hop at 2 or more of the resorts, they're experiences themselves. So if you're into hotel hopping within Disney, stay on the island. But you'll find, you may not go into the Park as often as you think.
2. April can be a bit rainy, but it's not as hot as the Summer. Even on the worse day of crowds, you're not going to wait more than about 60 minutes for any rides, and Fast Pass the bigger ones help. HK is more of an afternoon to evening crowd compared to most parks as they're a working culture. So if you go first thing in the morning through about 3p, you're good. After 3p, because the park has specials for after hours, it gets a wee bit crowded.
3. Definitely get an Octopus card, load it up like a debit card cause you're going to find that you can use it at markets and cafes as well as taking trains. Don't hesitate to ask for directions when you get on the train stations versus trying to fumble around. The reason their transit works well is that people follow lines and directions well to maintain order. Train station agents are super helpful, English is spoken everywhere. Have the transit website saved on your phone, it's super detailed and can help plan a route in no time. YouTube has one amazing videos on short things to do in HK that will be helpful too.

Disney tips!
- Create a cool little book for stickers! In HK Disneyland, Cast Members hand out stickers of every theme and variation. During Halloween, we got so many cool Halloween themed and villains you just don't see ever! Kids and adults can ask for stickers and it's just a cool free thing to collect. I loved it more than the button. I made my daughter a sticker book of the different lands, and cast members just loved helping her complete sets of stickers.
- Food in the hotels can be comparable to US markeup prices, I really enjoyed eating in the park before heading back to the hotel. Again, better yet, explore outside of Disney for better food. Ginger Chicken at Disney is like $69HK at Disney, then of Lantau Island, it's like $8HK.
- Mystic Manor. Hands down, my favorite ride anywhere Disney. Ride it often!

Have fun!

Hi Guys

We are a family of 4, considering a trip to HK Disneyland in April 2020.

The tentative plan at this stage would be 3 days on Hong Kong Island staying in the Pacific Place area (with a day or 2 at Ocean Park, shopping, some sights and lots of food). And then over to the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel for 5 or 6 nights just to relax and enjoy the resort and the park.

I have a few questions.

1. Is 5 or 6 nights too long on Lantau Island?
2. Is April a good time to visit in terms of weather and crowds?
3. Any other input/tips?

Thanks in advance.

5 or 6 nights is too much on Lantau Island. One day is just enough for me and I'd spend a day checking the three hotels at HKDL. Add another day for the Golden Buddha and that's 3 days on Lantau Island. Ocean Park is a nice park and unlike Chimelong Ocean Kingdom, you won't need to deal with visas to go visit it. It now has its own MTR station and easy to access. A waterpark is scheduled to open sometimes in 2020-2021 at Ocean Park as well.

Do you like Lego? There is a cool mall selling all kinds of Legos in Mongkok, near Yau Ma Tei. As a bonus, I discoved a store that sells used Disney goods too there.

Thanks so much for the responses guys. So you'd only recommend 2 days max in the parks?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!