HKDL on Jan 1 or Jan 2?

fabfemmeboy

DIS Veteran
We're starting to plan a China/China-adjacent trip for next December/January, and there's a very high chance we'll be in HK over (Western) New Years. That would mean going to the park on one of the following days:
Sun. Dec. 30
Mon. Dec. 31
Tues. Jan. 1
Wed. Jan. 2

Obviously there are going to be holiday crowds, I've resigned myself to that. But are crowds likely to be smaller on January 1 (when people are recovering from the night before) or January 2 (when some - but not all - schools and workplaces are back in session)? Or, with everything else going on in the city for NYE itself, is that a quieter day (unlike Orlando or Anaheim)? Anyone been stupid enough to try what we're (very stupidly) contemplating and lived to tell the tale? Thanks!

Depends on when they end their holiday offering. 2nd will be less busy for sure, but maybe they won't have the mini Christmas parade anymore. Check their schedule before you decide.

We were there on 3 and 4 January this year.

Most rides were walk on, or only 5-10 minute wait. The park wasn't empty, but it wasn't full either, if that makes any sense.

Jan 2 will have less people but the Christmas event may be over (official dates aren't released yet). Crowds on Jan 1 would be comparable to a slow season weekend at an American park. If there was a choice, I would recommend most people to go on Jan 1 because there's probably more unique stuff happening.

Jan 1 at HKDL is not a big deal crowd wise. The only ride that has a chance of breaking the one hour mark is Winnie the Pooh which you can Fastpass or rope drop.

I went to DisneySea one year on Jan 1 which is truly a tale to tell. People rushed to claim spots on the waterfront at park opening and sat there till Fantasmic ended. I think the park reached capacity at around 1PM if I recall correctly and I only managed to get 1 Fastpass for the entire day.

Jan 2 will have less people but the Christmas event may be over (official dates aren't released yet). Crowds on Jan 1 would be comparable to a slow season weekend at an American park. If there was a choice, I would recommend most people to go on Jan 1 because there's probably more unique stuff happening.

Jan 1 at HKDL is not a big deal crowd wise. The only ride that has a chance of breaking the one hour mark is Winnie the Pooh which you can Fastpass or rope drop.

I went to DisneySea one year on Jan 1 which is truly a tale to tell. People rushed to claim spots on the waterfront at park opening and sat there till Fantasmic ended. I think the park reached capacity at around 1PM if I recall correctly and I only managed to get 1 Fastpass for the entire day.

Thank you! I know HKDL is usually pretty slow compared to the American parks I'm used to, and I know it's not nearly as crowded for Western New Years as it is for Lunar, but I wasn't sure if it would still be a bad idea. As long as we can hit Mystic Manor a few times and not spend all day waiting for Iron Man, I'll be happy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!