HO-HO-HOLY GRINCHMAS...10 JOLLY HOLIDAY NIGHTS AT RPR..NOV/DEC 2018

I am so sorry to hear you were unwell and hope you are all recovered now! I think the reason you have such good luck with flight crews is you are genuinely nice to people. It's amazing how rare that is these days. Global entry is worth it's weight in gold. When my son came home from his semester in Paris he just waltzed through immigration with a smile on his face. It is wonderful that feeling when you start to really relax and believe you are on vacation. How lovely to have that feeling in your favorite place with your favorite people! :D

Maria :upsidedow

I like your hair cut, very cute!

Once through immigration it sounds like a wonderful first night.

The room looks lovely and it sounds like Jake’s is a winner for you all!

I think the special gifts your friend gets you all is such a great gesture and really shows RPR appreciates repeat guests!

I am so sorry to hear you were unwell and hope you are all recovered now! I think the reason you have such good luck with flight crews is you are genuinely nice to people. It's amazing how rare that is these days. Global entry is worth it's weight in gold. When my son came home from his semester in Paris he just waltzed through immigration with a smile on his face. It is wonderful that feeling when you start to really relax and believe you are on vacation. How lovely to have that feeling in your favorite place with your favorite people! :D

Maria :upsidedow

Thank you Maria........we are slowly getting back to normal.........

And thank you for such a lovely comment........I detest rudeness to anyone, so being polite and friendly is just the way we are........I know what you mean though......some folks seem to find rudeness easy.

How lovely for your son! Global Entry is truly fabulous........did your son enjoy his time in Paris?? We haven’t been there for a good few years, but it used to be one of our favourite cities to visit......

Yes, it’s the best feeling arriving there with it all in front of us.........::yes::

I like your hair cut, very cute!

Once through immigration it sounds like a wonderful first night.

The room looks lovely and it sounds like Jake’s is a winner for you all!

I think the special gifts your friend gets you all is such a great gesture and really shows RPR appreciates repeat guests!

Awww thanks Caroline.........I’m just not used to it being so short.......when I straighten it, I’m trying to pull it as long as possible.......lol......

Yes, it really was the perfect first night.......Jake’s never disappoints. And yes, we really do always feel very appreciated as guests, always have done......and our friend really is the most special of men, he is such a busy man, but always makes time for us, many times every visit.....he is the best and truly the nicest man on earth!

Glad you’re reading along.........:goodvibes

FRIDAY NOVEMBER 30TH..……………

We all slept incredibly well....until around 4am. Which of course, is really now 9am in our minds...and I couldn't remember when I last slept till 9am anytime!!! We just aren't folks who sleep late, very much morning people in general..

I had gotten up for the bathroom and hoped I didn't wake Kyle, but he was out for the count and genuinely hadn't heard either of us get up. For as sure as I had gone to the bathroom, Tom needed to go to.....of course. We had shut the door to the sitting area, again hoping we hadn't disturbed him too much and tried desperately to get back to sleep....I even turned the heat up in the room, and that seemed to work as we did eventually fall back over around 5am and slept till maybe 6.30.

Now it was time to get up whether everyone else wanted to or not...….and to be honest I really didn't want to get up just yet...………….

But, this was our first day.....and by lord we would make the most of it...…..although Kyle and Tom at this precise moment could have delayed the start of our trip by another hour or so...…..but, no such luck....once I had actually dragged my sorry and exhausted backside out of bed......everyone was awake...…..lol.....
But, I went through and very gently, or maybe not so gently woke Kyle up with singing......now I cannot sing a single note, so this was undeniably cruel......but it worked......he sat up...…..as I grinned and headed for the shower.....should have checked if anyone needed the bathroom first I suppose...….oops!!!
But, wasn't long till we`re all up, showered and ready to go get breakfast upstairs. It`s a personal preference for us to have our rooms on the 6th floor. Most prefer 7, but not us...….and it takes seconds to get up there every morning, especially as we were so close to the elevators in this room. The hallways aren't long, so even if you are at the far end, it takes a few moments to get to the elevators.
We had a look out before we set off upstairs...….we loved this view...……

i-65MFLwD-XL.jpg

i-PRV6bZJ-XL.jpg

i-Bx3R7Gx-XL.jpg

Yep, we could even see the pool Christmas Tree...……

We love the Club Lounge staff...….they are so nice and most we know fairly well......and it`s always a pleasure to go in and be able to chat and catch up with them again...….and we have to knock this morning as our room key isn't working correctly against the scanner this morning......we would go down to the desk and get that sorted easily later......and it was the newest girl who answered the door...she didn't know us, but the other girl did and of course we got in.

We got ourselves some breakfast and Kyle was loving being back again......he hadn't met some of the staff so it was lovely to be able to introduce him to them......we sat over the far side of the lounge as it was quite busy this morning and we had just finished when the manager Kayla came in and came straight over to greet us. She is just so lovely and again, we felt as if we had known her forever, when in reality we just met her in September.....but we got on like a house on fire and she is someone you could chat to for hours...….so, it was lovely to catch up again..….she pulled up a chair and we had a good old catch up with her......we have such a giggle, and Kyle really took to her too......eventually though she had to go to a meeting and we left at the same time too...…..but we would see plenty of her over our trip. It was nice to be back.

We headed downstairs to the lobby and we saw two of the supervisors from the lounge and had a hug and a good old catch up with them too...….they are so lovely. And after a good old chat we headed over to the desk where one of the check in staff immediately recognised us and waved us over......we have known her a couple of years too....again, we catch up and she asks how the pull out sofa was, Kyle tells her it wasn't the best, but he slept all the same...…..she immediately says she`ll organise a rollaway to be sent up today and hopes that will be better for him. Hopefully it will be......we then organise a safety deposit box behind the front desk for our stuff including passports and documents that although we know will be safe in the room safe, we do like the added security of this box. Takes a few seconds and it`s done. You have a key you keep and they have a key.....you only have to sign with the authorised signatures each time you want to access it and make sure you have the key.

We thank her for that and for organising the rollaway bed for Kyle....she says if it`s not any use they`ll send up more blankets and padding for the pullout...….I`m hoping the rollaway works as then we have full use of the sofa in the sitting area......instead of it being used for a bed.

We are on our first day of course, and we had asked Kyle what he wanted to do today..... he said he wanted to go to the Mall at Millenia for Chocolate Fudge Cake.......……

We had kind of guessed that part!!!!

But first we stopped and admired the tree and the work being done around the tree by the pastry chef.....they work on it twice a day and the times are there for all to see......the chef`s are happy to talk about the display and answer any questions on their work for the display...…..and it is impressive...….

i-7p7g6BQ-XL.jpg

i-HSV6GqG-XL.jpg

i-XznqLqF-XL.jpg

i-k7QQspH-XL.jpg

The work continues from the day it is put up, and each day you can see additions to the display.....watching them work is interesting as some of it is very intricate.....and with folks watching I often wonder how they can concentrate...…but they do an amazing job and there is a lovely aroma around this area too...…it is fairly quiet this morning but some days there are plenty of people around the tree chatting and of course taking pictures...…..

Next up...….Mall and Chocolate Cake...……..

Welcome back! So glad you are feeling better. I was checking furiously everyday for updates!! It's so nice to see Kyle with you guys. Off to a wonderful start. Can't wait for more.

That Christmas display is gorgeous!

Looks like a lot of work and care went into it.

First time I have seen pictures of it so many thanks for sharing it in your report!

Welcome back! So glad you are feeling better. I was checking furiously everyday for updates!! It's so nice to see Kyle with you guys. Off to a wonderful start. Can't wait for more.

Thanks tammy........we are beginning to perk up a bit now.......finally!! I’m such a wimp with having a cold/flu.....

We loved having Kyle with us again, it really did warm our hearts having him there........a year was a long time for him to wait with us disappearing every few months!

Glad you’re enjoying reading along........:)

That Christmas display is gorgeous!

Looks like a lot of work and care went into it.

First time I have seen pictures of it so many thanks for sharing it in your report!

Oh it really is beautiful, glad you like them.......they do take immense pride in it and watching them was fun. They do like to chat about their display.......

I can’t remember if I have more later......I think I do......will post them as I come across them........:)

I am FINALLY caught up! First of all:

I would love to know why the guy behind us has his hands clasped over his face...…..lol...….
I can tell you why -- he knew he couldn't compete with Tom's brilliant smile, so he just hid his whole face. DUH. ;)

Excited to read the rest -- concerned about getting to the illness part!

I am FINALLY caught up! First of all:

I can tell you why -- he knew he couldn't compete with Tom's brilliant smile, so he just hid his whole face. DUH. ;)

Excited to read the rest -- concerned about getting to the illness part!

Lol......Alice we love you!!!!

Tom is grinning like a Cheshire Cat at your comments.........:D

Kyle being poorly is a good few days away yet.......but most importantly he made NASA next Thursday......of course you know that as you had a sneak preview.......::yes::

Glad you’re all caught up!

All caught up! I always seem to get sick right after vacation. I'm sorry that you guys went through that! So looking forward to reading more :lovestruc

Waiting an hour to clear customs in Orlando would be like torture!

We are able to pre clear customs in Canada before boarding the plane so when we get to Orlando it's free sailing!

It's the most amazing feeling when we get off the plane in Orlando. Knowing that we made it and the vacation has begun. We head straight to the luggage rack and our driver Gene is always waiting there to greet us. Gene always has stories to tell and my wife just shakes her head as we chat it up on the way to the resort. I also love that first look when we walk through the front doors at RPR. I'm really missing not going this year more than ever reading your report. :teeth:

Did you happen to find out how they are implementing the new security room checks? I'm hoping they are doing it in a more courteous fashion than Disney. Although the latest reports are that Disney has abandoned these checks at most resorts. Too many upset guests and taking a heavy toll on the staff.

All caught up! I always seem to get sick right after vacation. I'm sorry that you guys went through that! So looking forward to reading more :lovestruc

Thanks Cyndi........we are definitely on the mend finally!

Oh so many folks say that, they get sick after a trip......I suppose it’s a real melting pot of folks from all over with all sorts of localised germs.......lol......quite a thought! Hope you never got anything really nasty and it was over quickly.....

Glad you’re reading along.......:)

Last edited:
Waiting an hour to clear customs in Orlando would be like torture!

We are able to pre clear customs in Canada before boarding the plane so when we get to Orlando it's free sailing!

It's the most amazing feeling when we get off the plane in Orlando. Knowing that we made it and the vacation has begun. We head straight to the luggage rack and our driver Gene is always waiting there to greet us. Gene always has stories to tell and my wife just shakes her head as we chat it up on the way to the resort. I also love that first look when we walk through the front doors at RPR. I'm really missing not going this year more than ever reading your report. :teeth:

Did you happen to find out how they are implementing the new security room checks? I'm hoping they are doing it in a more courteous fashion than Disney. Although the latest reports are that Disney has abandoned these checks at most resorts. Too many upset guests and taking a heavy toll on the staff.

Oh it really can be a nightmare if one or more jumbo jets arrive at the same time! But next visits we’ll be using Global Entry again, so no delays......hopefully!!! We loved when we flew from NYC before we had GE and it was straight through in Orlando..........must be nice to pre clear all the time.

You’ll be back before you know it I’m quite sure....I know what you mean though, I’d miss it terribly if we didn’t go one year now. Yep, walking in the doors......into the room......walking around the resort......all amazing feelings.

We didn’t ask honestly........we have housekeeping every day so it’s not something that we thought about. The signs are still up so I assume it’s still going on. The suite opposite us had the do not disturb sign up for 5 of the days we were there, we didn’t see anyone go in or out at all! But, I guess someone did. Didn’t hear anyone talk or mention it.......but I’ll try and remember in March and ask how it’s working out.

That is such a gorgeous view! Happy you started your trip report before Christmas. It's such a great way to relax among all the Christmas hustle and bustle. Like all the other posters pointed out, "Your hair looks great"!

Yep, we love the view......I’m one of those folks that even though I don’t have a balcony, I still love having that view to look out too.......night or day it’s beautiful.

Thanks for the hair comments :)........I think it’s finally growing a little.......but can’t get used to it being so short. One of my friends has a tiny little face and has a great but very short cropped pixie style......she looks at me very funny when I moan how short mine is.....

Yes, I was glad I started it early......it’s a relaxing couple of hours as I write......no thoughts of Christmas gifts I haven’t bought yet....lol.......will need to get a wiggle on though!

Hope you’re all sorted for Christmas and the holiday season!

Nice start once at “home”! I find the airport incredibly tiring even with the excitement of arrival day. I actually don’t mind the drive we have as we’ve made the drive to Florida many many times now.

Since we did the Disney resort hop for holiday decorations last year, hoping to find time to see Universals resorts this year. Somewhat sad that we aren’t staying at Cabana Bay, but money saved means more for other things. And we have a 1 bed suite just across the street.

Can’t wait to hear about KSC!

Nice start once at “home”! I find the airport incredibly tiring even with the excitement of arrival day. I actually don’t mind the drive we have as we’ve made the drive to Florida many many times now.

Since we did the Disney resort hop for holiday decorations last year, hoping to find time to see Universals resorts this year. Somewhat sad that we aren’t staying at Cabana Bay, but money saved means more for other things. And we have a 1 bed suite just across the street.

Can’t wait to hear about KSC!

Yes, we visited 5 of the Universal hotels this year to see the decorations and trees....nice way to pass some time.....they are lovely.

I`m sure you`ll be perfectly happy in your hotel......sounds nice.

Oh yes, tiredness can abate even the highest of excitement at airports...….when we saw that long line our hearts sank......but it wasn't as bad in the end...…...:)

So, we drove the 5 minutes or so to The Mall...….the exit on to the I4 has been opened up again for a while so it`s straight on there......and boy it never gets any quieter on this road!!!

This is our favourite of favourite malls...…..plenty of high end stores, but regular stores too like Bath and Body, Williams and Sonoma, Macy and several other normal stores for want of a better word. And it never feels mobbed the way the Florida Mall can be at times...….the car park can be extremely busy but it`s usually not a true reflection of the crowds inside.

Of course Father Christmas was here right now, so that does add crowds....and lots of little ones around....but they`re usually all contained in one area around Santa.

We decide to wander around before we go for lunch which of course will be in the Cheesecake Factory.....no doubts there...….

But, first of course as we are huge fans of Christmas trees...…….

i-Cp8GZ6T-XL.jpg

i-HQ7r7R4-XL.jpg

It is a beautiful tree, as most huge ones are......but strangely we had never come to the Mall at night to see it properly lit up, I think we`d have to rectify that next time...…..

i-f3DHNMH-XL.jpg

Santa`s Grotto is an impressive little place......when you come down the escalator you can see the main man himself, and very jolly Father Christmas he was too......exactly the way he`s supposed to look...…and the line last year at some points were 3 hours!!! 3 hours.....and no Express Pass here.....lol...…..

i-pcdKtRF-XL.jpg

i-cFvHBfx-XL.jpg

We went into the Tag Heuer store where they all remember us of course and Christian happily chats to Kyle about his watch and how much he enjoys wearing this one...….it`s definitely a watch to be worn and not stuck away in a drawer collecting dust.....he did have an idea if there was something that caught his eye he`d get another one....he does have a beautiful collection already, but to be honest there`s nothing on sale to beat the one he bought last year...….

We chatted a little more and then said we`d pop back in March time to se if they had anything new...….they really have a few nice guys working in there.

i-qFqSbxq-XL.jpg

i-V4S5hZr-XL.jpg

We head down to Macy where I pick up some lipsticks and moisturiser…...then we wandered to the back of the store as Tom was looking for a jacket....he had seen it online but they didn't have it instore...…so we had a wander up the back as Kyle was looking for a new wallet.....but just wanted to see what they had in here although he had no plans to buy it in here...…..we passed by a couple of ladies and I did notice they had a British accent but never thought anything else as I hadn't looked at their faces...…..then I heard a voice say I`m just going to tap this lady on the shoulder...….and I turn to see a lady looking at me...…….

Now, I`ve never met her before but I recognise her from her pictures on her trip reports that she is a member of the Dis and the UK site too....it was Wilma-bride...….or Joh as she`s otherwise known...…..big smiles and hugs all around...….it`s funny when you`ve never met someone but know them from the web, you feel as if you do actually know them...…..Joh didn't know we were visiting this time and of course I didn't know she was going to be here either...…..very small world.

She was visiting with her daughter and was here today with her and friends too......I think they went home next day as they had been here a while already......but, it was so lovely being able to meet up and she really is as lovely a lady in real life as she is on the boards......we could have chatted all day!!! It was a surprise but very welcome Dis meet......albeit short...….it is always lovely to meet folks in real life after chatting online...…..

We had a few laughs and giggles then parted ways although they were planning Cheesecake Factory too, so we may run into them again.....but for now, we glanced at the wallets, he didn't see anything he liked...…..then we headed upstairs to the Christmas store they have up there...…..it`s not huge, but they do have some lovely items......we managed to pick up two rather large Christmas mugs in boxes which would be handy to get home......some Moscow Mule pewter tumblers and a couple of little novelty items for the tree...….although it wasn't without event.

I`m the clumsy one of the three of us.....usually. To had leaned over the display to get to the pewter cups at the back as they looked untouched...….but, as he brought one forward.....he bumped one thing and of course it turned into the domino effect...…..oh dear!!!! Kyle and I took off and disappeared immediately...……

As we disappeared into relative safety of the electrical department we chuckled or more howled with laughter as several items were still rolling gently off the shelves that had been oh so carefully stocked neatly that morning I was sure...….

By now a lovely lady had appeared to help my woefully abandoned husband.....she was assuring him it was fine and nothing could break, but did tell him it wouldn't have mattered if they had all broke....accidents happen...…..we rather miraculously reappeared at this point still giggling at his obvious clumsiness...….he was less than thrilled we had disappeared like Exocet missiles...….which was even funnier now...….then we were admonished by the sales lady for running off like that and leaving this "lovely man" to face the music on his own......oh dear...this just got better and better!!!!

We did make it to the checkout and paid for our purchases…..then headed down to get some food as we were all feeling a little peckish right now...….and we had been forgiven by Tom which he did admit he saw the funny side of it now...…..but at the time he had visions of everything shattering before his eyes...….lol...…

So, straight to food.

It is busy, but we do only have a short five minute wait for our booth to become available...…..we do like it in here......it has a huge menu that even the fussiest of people could find something to eat....portions are large so we always have the lunch size if the option is available. It`s not cordon bleu, but decent food at good prices......and of course Cheesecake.

Tom orders coffee, Kyle goes for a fruit smoothie and I have the strawberry lemonade....it is lovely in here.....but I keep forgetting to ask for no sugar round the rim of the glass......it makes it sticky......but I forget...…...

i-8KprFTP-XL.jpg

i-9qs6s6q-XL.jpg

We get some bread while we decide what to have...…..well, really it`s just me as Kyle is having his favourite and Tom is having the Dulce de Leche cheesecake......hmmmm. I love cheesecake, but it doesn't really agree with me, I can have a little bite here and there but not a full one...….so I eventually decide to have the Turkey Club Sandwich with sweet potato fries and hope Tom will take one of the quarters as it is huge...….but, I always told Kyle since he was young, and do the same ourselves......just eat what you want and don't worry about leaving too much.....long as you enjoy what you have...….but of course sometimes things are so good that even when you`re full, you can keep picking at things......and on a few occasions we have pleaded with waiters and waitresses to please take the food away before we burst!!!!

i-LZJQZPZ-XL.jpg

i-KXrDL2J-XL.jpg

Finally.....this boy was going to enjoy his favourite cake...….

i-LJkqb2v-XL.jpg

i-2tgtb8W-XL.jpg

i-tTjStWC-XL.jpg

Oh my goodness!!!! Kyle and Tom cleared their plates with relish...….Kyle especially savoured every single piece of the decadent cake he so coveted every year...…Tom loved his too and although he offered me a bite, I`d better not...……

I made a dent in mine......the sweet potato fries were beautiful...….and the tomatoes and turkey were gorgeous...….I swear they were the nicest tomatoes ever!!! I ate just over half the sandwich with Tom having one quarter...…..it was a lovely lunch.

Joh and friends passed our table on their way out with Joh mentioning how gorgeous the peppermint cheesecake was......I laughed as I hate peppermint things......we did joke we couldn't be friends now.....lol......it`s funny as my niece loves minty things and her favourite ice cream is mint choc chip.....we are incredibly similar but not with this...…..but, we wave Joh off again and pick at the remnants of our food.....not that there`s much left...….

We pay our check and head out of the place which is now mobbed. Wait for a table is 25 minutes.....

The first place we go is the Montblanc store...….Kyle has seen a few wallets from there online and would like to see them in the flesh...….online is fine, but you do need to see things sometimes.....

So, he looks at a few and they are lovely, but then spots one he hadn't seen online and likes it.....it has a lovely feel and he thinks he wants it......only thing is the only one left is the display model......he doesn't want that, it`s too much money to want to have one that has been touched and laid out for whatever length of time.....so we arrange for the guy to order one and it`ll be here Tuesday......ideal......we can come back then and pick it up...…

Now we wander around to look for gift ideas for family and friends...….well, that was the idea...…..

Oh dear.

Frist stop is Williams and Sonoma......I didn't see anything for anyone else...…..but did get a whopper of a lime squeezer and ice cream scoop for me...….well, the ice cream scoop is really for Kyle...….he likes gadget things....although technically this wasn't a gadget.....but he liked it.

Then up to Bath and Body.....I`d be bound to get friends stuff in here...…..right!!!! So, picked up a whole load of stuff we wanted...…..and we got a load...…..after we paid Tom pointed out rather delicately I hadn't picked up anything for anyone else...……..

Oops!!!! How did that happen...………

Oh well, we`d just have to come back again when we picked up Kyle`s wallet next week...……

We went up to Bloomingdales as they stock Bobbi Brown products...….so I managed to get what I wanted in there...….as I turned I saw a face I recognised. Not someone I`d have chosen to see......but it was Jose Baez......those who followed the Casey Anthony trial will know he defended her...….I have a genuine dislike of the guy...….of course I understand everyone hates defence attorneys.....until you need one of course......but I watched the whole trial and was thoroughly disgusted she got off, which in my opinion and many others opinions she was no doubt guilty. He was a lot shorter than I realised.

But, we went back to what we were purchasing and had a quick look around the store......Bloomingdales here is a lovely store...much nicer than Macy`s now...….but for today our purchases were over....

Avoiding going in Pottery Barn as we had bought enough today, it is hard to pass though.....we headed back down to the main exit and back to the car.

Time to head for home...……..

Tonight was StrongWater Bar...…………..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter