HO-HO-HOLY GRINCHMAS...10 JOLLY HOLIDAY NIGHTS AT RPR..NOV/DEC 2018

Merry Christmas to you, Tom and Kyle. All caught up on your report - it was so nice to run into you at The Mall and again in Cheesecake Factory. I will continue to follow your report with interest as we have 4 nights at Royal Pacific at the end of this month and considering a nice place to go for our Anniversary dinner on the 29th (looking for inspiration). Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and wishing you a blessed New Year and Hogmanay.

WELCOME Joh.........:flower3:

Lovely to see you here!!! Hope you and all your family had a wonderful Christmas too!!

It really was lovely to see you there, I was so glad you are more observant than I am!!!

So, you’re back again!! How lovely........and 4 nights at RP! Yay! I do hope you love it.......as for special dinners.......for us The Palm at the HRH and Ocean Prime on Sand Lake Road are classics......can’t go wrong with either........perfect food and service make it an amazing night.......

And a very Happy New Years to you and yours too Joh.......hope it’s a blast! :)

Hi I had a chance to catch up while you were away! The king room looked really nice and spacious and I am finding I like a little more room these days. The new lounge looks pretty and I agree the club level staff do a great job at the Universal resorts. I am hoping this summer staying off site and doing more of Orlando we can try some new places. I could just picture me and Liv giggling and running away if that was Brian. He is always so careful about stuff like that, I wouldn't have helped myself. I am glad that everything turned out well and that the associate was very nice.

The Cheesecake Factory has very good food. We have one close to my house and get there once in a while. I am glad everyone enjoyed their food and desert.

The Christmas Tree is so tall. I don't think I have seen one that tall inside before. It was absolutely beautiful. I love Christmas trees and could look at them for hours. The ginger bread houses look amazing as well.

I hope you had a great trip and look forward to reading more.:goodvibes

WECOME bobbie............:flower3:

Glad to see you here.......and glad you’re all caught up! I have been away for almost a week, so time for an update........

Yes, we love all rooms at RP, but the King Suite is going to be our room of choice now at RP I think......even for the two of us. Space has never been an issue for us as we honestly enjoy sharing our room together, but it is nice. And Kyle was glad of his own room as one of us snores.......lol.......and yes, we were like giggling schoolchildren when he dropped all the stuff.......it was funny! It would have been hard not to laugh.......lol.....

CF is a reliable choice.......food is good although portions are just a little overwhelming........but ideal if you want to share some choices.

My friends and family have always called me Mrs Christmas.......lol......and I’m a little bit of a Kevin McCallister with Christmas trees too.......love them!!! And the hotels all had beautiful trees everywhere.........it was a lot of fun seeing them all.

But, glad you’re here and hope you enjoy the rest of the trip when it comes up.........:)

I just found this TR...I've been pretty pathetic on the DIS lately but remember enjoying some of your previous reports! I love reading about all the restaurants you guys get to!! The food looked amazing!!

I just found this TR...I've been pretty pathetic on the DIS lately but remember enjoying some of your previous reports! I love reading about all the restaurants you guys get to!! The food looked amazing!!

WELCOME KathyM2

Lovely to see you back again!!!! ::yes::

We did enjoy some lovely food again this trip, not much roaming around outside the parks and hotels, especially once Kyle wasn't great, but we always enjoy our food!!!!

I do hope you enjoy this one too......finally getting back into it!!! :D

SATURDAY DECEMBER 1ST

It feels ages since I last updated this report...…and it`s lovely to be back updating.....hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and glad to see you all again...…..

We all slept like babies last night. Tom and I don't think we moved the whole night.....and around 6.30 I slowly began to waken and thought I might like to get up...but it was early. Once I`m awake though I struggle to get back to sleep. Tom was still sound, so I got up quietly and slowly pulled back the drapes a little and saw it was indeed still dark outside.

I went through and slowly opened the door between us and Kyle was also still sound asleep......although not for long when I stubbed my toe on the door into the toilet...….oops!!!

Kyle is like me, once he is awake he gets up.....and he said he had slept fabulously on the rollaway last night.....we were relieved. It`s a good size of a bed and not just for small children. Kyle is 5 foot 9 and he was perfectly fine in it. So much better than the pullout. So, we would keep this and of course we could stick it away by the door during the day and it only took seconds to bring back over at night......very handy.

It was getting a little lighter outside now, and we could see it was fairly dull looking.....we had hoped for brilliant sunshine, but maybe not today....

I showered and then they all followed.....Tom was always last for some reason....lol....he likes his bed!!

We headed up for breakfast when we were ready...….we always look forward to seeing everyone in the lounge....they are the nicest people and some we know so well and always enjoy seeing them. This morning one of the girls we adore was on and it was lovely to see her. Elida reminds me of my niece, only my niece is very blonde and Elida is dark haired, but they have similar mannerisms and it`s just lovely to see her.

Breakfast is always lovely. We aren't folks who look for too much at that time of day......they have fresh chopped fruit, cinnamon bun, eggs, yoghurts, continental meats, cheeses, assorted cereals, croissants, muffins, donuts, mini pastries, toast, preserves, bagels, muffins, juices and of course teas and coffee...….if you can`t get a breakfast out of that you must be very fussy!!!

Kyle always has cereal.....he`s the same at home, a man of simple tastes. Tom has croissants with honey and I opt for white toast with cream cheese and grape jelly......would never have that at home, but here.....I love it!!! And coffee of course. Kyle has water as he doesn't drink tea or coffee...…

Since the lounge has been revamped it is of course beautiful, but they have added cold fridges for water and soda cans......you used to have to ask for water as it was stored in the back, but now you can help yourself.

We don't stay long this morning as we are keen to get to the parks...….so we thank the guys who are working this morning and head down to put our sunscreen on. Even though it is dull outside, we still cover ourselves in sunscreen. Being from the West of Scotland we could burn sitting too close to a table lamp!!! We have the whitest pastiest skin around......so we do have to be careful.

Our room has already been cleaned and the lady is gone.....impressive!!!! Housekeeping is always excellent here....our rooms have always been immaculately clean and no issues if you ever need any extra items like shower gel or similar. The ladies are always lovely.

Now we are ready to head off.

When we go to IOA, which is our usual first park day choice, we always walk.....it is around 7 minutes to IOA....everyone says HRH is closest to the parks, but the truth is it`s only closer to Studios, but RP is so close to IOA it makes no difference. The walk to the parks from all the hotels on the waterway is short regardless of park. It just seems longer after a long day!!!

The walk is lovely.....you pass the boats heading back to pick folks up, the trees shield you from the sun usually, but today it`s still dull and honestly looks like it is going to rain.

But, we are incredibly happy this morning.....we all have big smiles on our faces, Kyle`s is the biggest as he is so looking forward to getting back to the rides and parks. I keep hugging him and taking his arm as I am so over the moon he is back with us again...……

As I take his arm at one point I try to do the yellow brick road dance......and sing too......but they are having none of it...……lol

The Wizard of Oz is one of my favourite classic movies...…..

But, no singing or dancing this morning...….ok I kinda grumble......lol...…..

We arrive just as the park is opening and lines are fairly long......we veer over to the far left, where the lines aren't just as bad.....why do most people congregate in the busiest lines and don't look further behind??

The lady on the gate welcomes us back.....Tom and I have an AP, but we bought Kyle the UK ticket for 14 days....we didn't look to see if it was cheaper or more expensive to buy him an AP...it was just convenient at the time. And we all get through with no issue......Tom`s AP sometimes doesn't register but it was fine today. We had just renewed ours before we left, they are doing the offer of an extra 6 months when you renew, so nice deal!!!

Once through the gates we all smile and Tom already has the camera out.....I don't think we actually have any of him this morning.....he had a vicelike grip on the camera and wouldn't pass it over......he loves taking pictures and this camera he was really enjoying using. Now I can say I think it was the ridiculous price it was.....it certainly is the best camera we`ve had for years.

i-hDzhsQM-XL.jpg

We of course take the classic stance on entry...…….doesn't everyone...….

i-57JqXfp-XL.jpg

We love Port of Entry and do take only a few pictures of it......but it is so pretty....and with all of Universal, we find the decorations very understated and classical.

i-8zFXKR6-XL.jpg

i-Mkw7QW8-XL.jpg

It is fairly hot this morning, but no humidity so we didn`t feel it overpowering, certainly not like the searing heat of September......but, we do walk through the Universal store as we do like to have a quick look at what they have on the shelves. We are a business dream customer. We love souvenirs, but useful ones like mugs and tees.....and we do buy some other things like the shrek notepads and pens. We also buy a lot of items for friends kids and grandkids......I am a sucker for memorabilia too!!!!

And I do see a few things that we`ll pick up over our trip.

Staying onsite one of the perks is having your purchases sent straight to your room, unless you leave the next day of course as they don't guarantee it`ll be delivered before you check out. It usually is but I can see why they won`t offer it this way.

We come out of the store and head round and have a brief stop down by the lagoon.....it is so peaceful and quiet by the water, especially this early. Although there are a few crowds already.

It looks so dull today!!!!!

i-tGv85NH-XL.jpg

i-8T6k9JT-XL.jpg

i-XHbHtFP-XL.jpg

i-CSq7Mxx-XL.jpg

i-Gn98Wwk-XL.jpg

i-xSsHQGF-XL.jpg

i-SzJwBtv-XL.jpg

Our first ride of the day is Hulk. Kyle is so keen to get on this!!!! We put our things in the locker after Tom takes these pictures, the lockers takes seconds to work. They really are easy when you dnt have 50,000 folks gathered around to empty one locker!!!

We go in and there is a bit of a line already......but with EP it`s not an issue....we are straight on.....we are always torn between whether we want to go on the front row or the last row....both are fabulous. The back row gives you more airtime but the front row is fabulous. We opt for the front row today. Since the revamp it is smoother overall, but the rear parts of the ride are still a bit twisty and jerky and your head can get rattled around a bit...…..but the take off more than makes it worth it......it is swift and so much fun. You are propelled out of the tunnel before you know it, but it is so smooth......and the speed is fun!!! The guy at the end of our row is screaming like a baby...….but he was loving it too......very odd...…..

We get off and I know my limitations......I feel I only want to do it once today, that way I`ll be fine for other rides.....but Tom and Kyle go back on. I think they did it another 4 times, before Tom felt a bit beaten up...he claims he`s not as young as he used to be!!! You wouldn't guess seeing him wave his arms around on the ride!!!

Next we move on to a ride that splits opinion.....Dr Doom. We love it......but some folks think it`s too short to be any fun. It is a short ride......but when you are propelled up in the air and you feel the incredible thrust that shoves you up......that's fun!!!! And what a view....albeit short......but you can see for miles in any one direction...…

It does take a little longer to load and unload now since they put in the new safety harness system. But, they are quick and you are in and out without too much effort. We do this ride 4 times then head over to one of the stores opposite.....

We like this store, only ever bought the villain tee shirts out of it, but they do have some nice and unique items on display......and of course my favourite colour is purple......and they have purple trees!!!

I am very traditional usually. My trees at home are all green, and fake. I have no desire for real trees in my home, so apart from the big one outside which is real, the rest are artificial. My friends call me Mrs Christmas and I do have a kind of Kevin McCallister fixation with Christmas trees...…..

But, I do like this one.....….despite not really liking skinny trees either!!!!

i-zHL4qf7-XL.jpg

i-F49G2K2-XL.jpg

The parks are delicately decorated all around.....and these ponsiettas are classic...….not overkill with them.....

i-nWMqL4C-XL.jpg

Round to Toon Lagoon, we pass the fairground type of games which are very rarely utilised. Some folks do use them of course, but you have to feel for the TM who try and muster up some interest for them...they do seem out of place now. It would be lovely if they could change them out for something else...…

i-mmSr8D6-XL.jpg

We seem to have got ourselves in a little bubble this morning...….there are loads of people behind us and loads in front of us......but it was lovely and quiet in this area...…..nice for pictures of course...….

i-2mqpgC9-XL.jpg

i-F8JgPrN-XL.jpg

We were getting quite wet standing under here......but it was quite nice as the heat was slowly building already...…..little splashes were welcome.

i-74VJ8VK-XL.jpg

i-T5vscjw-XL.jpg

We had taken a picture at this spot every year since we started visiting in 2007. And when Kyle was with us it was a tradition we reintroduced. We had to wait till a couple took 100 pictures with their selfie stick.....a man beside us commented 100 pictures with the same pout. He wasn't wrong.

I suppose they are useful to some!!!!

But, we got our picture...…..

i-5hBGX5v-XL.jpg

Now, we head down to Bluto.....no plans to go on it today at all......far too cold for me to do water rides....had to be over 90F for that.......Kyle and I used to put at least $30 into the coin machine to drench everyone as they went under the second bridge....it was the shower effect ones we used and we loved doing it.....we laughed like drains as some folks got annoyed and that was even funnier!!! But, they replaced the money option for a token option, and it wasn't worth it anymore......that annoyed us.

So, we head down to Me Ship the Olive...……

i-s5DNN8m-XL.jpg

i-Sdtk2P8-XL.jpg

This is a fabulous attraction. Many seem to miss it out and some don't know it`s there and that you can go inside and explore.....kids love it. There are a few interactive things to do like play the Popeye theme on the piano.....and on the top deck you can still use free water jets to soak, well, gently soak unsuspecting folks on the barges below. However, it is just after the massive drencher you pass so if they are already soaked, this fairly weak water jet isn't going to make a massive difference to them. But, it`s fun and free!!!

We don't go into the ship today, we stand and watch the barges as there are quite a lot of folks going on the barges today...….love it!!!!

i-nzWBs2j-XL.jpg

This bridge is the perfect place to stand as you can see the barges coming behind you, and then see the look of horror as some see the massive deluge of water about to hit them...…

As to whether it hits you or not is...……..

i-ftGzs5H-XL.jpg

We see one girl of around 12 with what I assume is her family......she is directly under it.....comes out and then screams......screams again...then bursts into tears!!!! Her family and us are weeping with laughter as it was incredibly funny seeing her delayed reaction......and she sees us laughing which makes it funnier somehow, we are howling now....…..are we bad!!!!!

i-ST8dMpR-XL.jpg

We stand here for around 20 minutes and see every reaction you can imagine......some love getting soaked and some don't...….but most just laugh.....well, you`ve got to haven't you...……

The bridge got quite busy with folks heading down to the lagoon which used to be deserted…..Tom blames me and tells me to stop mentioning the secret little places that no one knows...….it`s true, some folks don't venture off the main paths to see some real little delights of places. Of course time is a premium for many folks and just want to do the main things in the park. But there are some beautiful little off the beaten path places to enjoy...……..

More coming up...….

Last edited:
Wait...your Xmas tree at home isn’t purple?

I’m mulling over the thought of doing 4 consecutive trips on the hulk, color me green. Tip of the hat to Tom for hanging with the big dogs!

You made me think on two counts I haven’t given much thought.

didn’t realize that we tend to hit studios up first; then work our way back via HP train Wonder if most have a preference or pattern?

2nd, had always considered HRH closest resort to parks. Now I’m rethinking that impression but admit to rarely skipping the boat ride I enjoy lol

I loved how the parks were decorated for Christmas all the way through. We nearly always start in IOA - never gave it much thought though LOL. We didn't do Hulk this trip, lines were longish and wasn't sure how long EP would take, and wasn't comfortable leaving the 12 year old non rider alone for really long. He would be fine, I know. One thing I do so wish Universal would do is carve out an actual waiting area for non Hulk riding folks to actually wait in. The crowds at Christmas made this area way way way way too congested with peeps just waiting, poor crowd control.

Tom's pictures are great, as always!

It looks like we might have walked by each other on the 1st! We went from Hogsmeade towards Toon Lagoon and out of the park that morning. We had a great day in the park, looks like your day is starting splendidly as well!

Welcome back. Nice update. I used to be able to ride Hulk over and over but once or twice these days is enough for me. I swear, as you get older, the more intense rides mess with your head more.

This was the day we were headed home, so we spent the day at Disney Springs and went to see the latest Wreck it Ralph film. I am so happy we go back in less than 4 weeks, I'm already having withdrawals.

Wait...your Xmas tree at home isn’t purple?

I’m mulling over the thought of doing 4 consecutive trips on the hulk, color me green. Tip of the hat to Tom for hanging with the big dogs!

You made me think on two counts I haven’t given much thought.

didn’t realize that we tend to hit studios up first; then work our way back via HP train Wonder if most have a preference or pattern?

2nd, had always considered HRH closest resort to parks. Now I’m rethinking that impression but admit to rarely skipping the boat ride I enjoy lol

Lol....you know me so well!!!! No purple trees in our home.....but one of our trees is themed mainly purple, white and silver decorations.....all intertwined with most of our Universal ornaments from the Christmas store......all with brilliant white led lights.....I love that tree.....but branches are green! It does look very purple though.....

Just a couple of close ups at night.........

00E89C19-D535-4C70-9092-330F1B29141E.jpeg

672FEC8C-DAC1-4F39-BFB1-D6A4C3D99682.jpeg

38BE213F-091C-4C67-97F8-A0B3C6B0F153.jpeg

Yes, long ago I could do the Hulk many times.......and have to admit Tom did feel rather battered when he came off.....but he so enjoyed being back on with Kyle he endured it as you do!

HRH is absolutely closer to Studios but takes no time to get to IOA from RP......very close. Always tickles me when I read folks saying it’s a long walk.......it really isn’t........we do like the boat coming home if there’s one there I have to admit........

Yes, I wonder if folks have a favourite park on their first day.....

Glad to see you back again!!!

Last edited:
I loved how the parks were decorated for Christmas all the way through. We nearly always start in IOA - never gave it much thought though LOL. We didn't do Hulk this trip, lines were longish and wasn't sure how long EP would take, and wasn't comfortable leaving the 12 year old non rider alone for really long. He would be fine, I know. One thing I do so wish Universal would do is carve out an actual waiting area for non Hulk riding folks to actually wait in. The crowds at Christmas made this area way way way way too congested with peeps just waiting, poor crowd control.

Tom's pictures are great, as always!

Thanks....I’ll tell him!

The decorations were lovely again this year.....I never thought of a non rider waiting area at Hulk.....yes, I know what you mean....you know they’ll be fine.....but even so......it would be nice to have a specified area......I’ve never noticed they don’t have that there.

Can folks wait at the ride exit area?

It looks like we might have walked by each other on the 1st! We went from Hogsmeade towards Toon Lagoon and out of the park that morning. We had a great day in the park, looks like your day is starting splendidly as well!

Nice to have you post here.........I’m going to check my pictures now and see if you’re in the background somewhere......lol.......

It can happen......we once took pictures at the top of the Empire State Building and one of my best friends spotted her friend who I didn’t know in the background!!! Weird coincidence........

Glad you had a great day there.......we certainly did :thumbsup2

Welcome back. Nice update. I used to be able to ride Hulk over and over but once or twice these days is enough for me. I swear, as you get older, the more intense rides mess with your head more.

This was the day we were headed home, so we spent the day at Disney Springs and went to see the latest Wreck it Ralph film. I am so happy we go back in less than 4 weeks, I'm already having withdrawals.

Thanks Joh......nice to be back!

Yep, I think it’s as I get older too, my brain just can’t cope with being flung round about as much......head ends up feeling like mush! So Hulk is a definite one and done now.......I can do The Mummy many times over.....but strangely have one friend who cannot ride that one at all........just sets her off bad.

Oh how lovely you’re going back so soon........have you stayed at RP before? I forget if you have or not.......I hope you have a lovely time there anyway.......yes, I understand the withdrawal symptoms......lol........

Let Tom know his new camera is fantastic! I can really tell the difference in the pics from previous trip reports.

Thanks!!!

It really is a fabulous camera.......he took some very weird shots up in Scotland with fog, mist and frost and they came out beautifully........the other cameras wouldn’t be as clear.........although my mum is kinda lost in them as she was dressed in white, has white hair and very pale skinned.......lol.......

More coming up...….
So good to have you back. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!
I looked into that camera Tom has and yes, it is pricey, so I wont have one this trip. However, it takes the most wonderful pictures. It is just amazing. Well worth the cost. He made an outstanding choice, especially because its not huge and heavy.

Those tree pictures are awesome

Very elegant looking

Thanks mac.......

I think that’s my favourite tree in our home.......it’s only around 7 feet tall, but I love it......especially the purple....

Think everything is coming down today though....once it’s all over, I just want the house back to normal.....::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter