HO-HO-HOLY GRINCHMAS...10 JOLLY HOLIDAY NIGHTS AT RPR..NOV/DEC 2018

Catching up with your new trip report.

I have to say I love you red blouse/dress!

WELCOME...…..smiths02.…...lovely to see you back on this one too...….:)

Thank you....I love that dress....it`s a revamp from last year....Tom calls it my Palm Christmas dress.....lol.....hope you enjoy this one too...…..::yes::

Still reading! Last night I was in bed (on a Saturday night) chuckling about you going to bed "early" -- what, 10:45? It was 9:30 here. Hahaha. :) Going to New Orleans Thursday and I'm not sure I can keep with everyone going out at night!

lol.....my sister laughs at our "late" nights as she very rarely goes to bed before 1am.....and she works full time in a hospital!!!! How she and her husband do it I`ll never know.....

I love going to bed early with a book and used to do that a lot when Tom was working away in Saudi....but now I just never seem to do it.

Oh it`s this Thursday you go on your trip.....that crept up!!! Oh you`ll have a blast.....they sound fun folks....you`ll manage just fine!!! Look forward to hearing about it...…..::yes::

He was a really dumb pink starfish that's friends with Spongebob, it's a strange show :rotfl:

I'd like if they had another Mexican place and maybe more breakfast/brunch choices, but other than that I think they have a good mix. I regret not trying Emeril's before they left though. But in the future if we rent a car again, I'd definitely go offsite again there's so many restaurants in Orlando.

lol.....strange is the right word!!!

Emerils was good, but the menu didn't change much and for me there weren't that many options I preferred Tchoup Chop and miss that more. Doesn't look like anything will replace that anytime soon as it`s now used for Minion breakfast and convention crowds. Maybe something will replace it at some point though......

That's one thing we do a lot of is go offsite....yep, there`s so much choice out there and all of it, well, most of it fabulous. And so many options that we just don't have at home.....Red Lobster may be cheap and cheerful and not a high end seafood place......and we get teased mercilessly for going to it....but we love it!!! lol......I know......:laughing:

SUNDAY DECEMBER 2ND………….

Today was going to be The Studios for the day......although the best laid plans...……

We all slept again like those babies that sleep all night. I did get up for the bathroom and thankfully Kyle never heard me.....I didn`t put any lights on which helped...….and I know the rooms well enough to be able to rumble around in the dark and not get lost!

We were again up early and we all felt quite refreshed...….although I kept it to myself but I had a little bit of a headache, it felt like a tired head, but would carry on regardless.

Breakfast was as always a fun and friendly affair...…..we all enjoyed our choices...and they were almost the same every day....sometimes I added a doughnut or mini muffin......but it`s always nice and of course passing the time chatting to staff is the best part. We again, didn't hang around for long as we wanted to be in the parks...….

Tom once we had sunscreen on picked up the camera and said something to me that I didn't quite hear so I just said yes to what I thought he had asked......…..

My not listening would bite me later...…..

But, we headed out and as we were going to Studios....it`s the boat for us today.

It takes seconds to do the security check and wasn't a long wait for the boat, maybe a few minutes......and it was a full boat. I think we had appeared at peak time for folks hitting the park.....I have no idea of the time as I rarely glance at my watch while we`re there......time already goes too fast. But, we get on the boat and the usual thing happens.....someone tries to sit on what will be the outside of the door to the boat......I swear at least twice a trip someone thinks that looks like a good place to sit!!!

We set off and are at Citywalk in no time. The boats really are a nice perk of the hotels.....yes, walking is short and it is a lovely walk, but sometimes it`s just nice. Anyone can take a boat from Citywalk to have a wander or a meal at any of the hotels....you don't need to be a hotel guest. The only exception being late at night during events like HHN......they will ask for room keys at certain times, but usually it`s absolutely fine.

It feels like today is going to be a hot one...…..it already feels warmer than we expected.....and I`m so glad.....we love heat. I may have mentioned that once or twice before...……

As we head to the Studios we see there is a gap in front of the classic globe.....we very rarely stop for a picture here anymore.....but as it`s empty why not. We have many from years ago, but this is the first for a while...….

i-pRpXgCC-XL.jpg

We also manged to get a picture in front of the huge inflatable......there weren't many folks around at this point.

i-SLXsM22-XL.jpg

i-C8z8hhG-XL.jpg

As always we walk through the store and have a snoop at what`s on offer and admire some of the simple holiday offerings in the form of cookies and treats in the store...……

As I have crowns I never eat apples......but I would have loved this purple one!!!

i-xPvTrhw-XL.jpg

i-K3sx6CR-XL.jpg

i-NgJqpJN-XL.jpg

i-hFcW7s2-XL.jpg

We never did buy any of them to eat!!!

Our first stop was Minions...…..and already the line was 50 minutes. There was 6 people in front of us in the EP line and as soon as this picture was taken we were going in...….I of course can understand why folks in the regular line get annoyed when they see this.....and there are sometimes a few vocal folks who will make comments as you bypass them again and again...….

i-X5wSsJC-XL.jpg

It was looking increasingly busy this morning now......it`s always hard to judge with crowds as there can be clusters of people but not everyone rides of course.

i-Z5VFPM7-XL.jpg

Minions was fun...…..and getting straight on is fabulous...….we genuinely wouldn't be without the EP when our trips are park focussed. I wouldn't stand in line for the length of time some of the rides are, so it is worth it`s weight in gold for us.....even in so called quiet times. Nothing is quicker than walking straight on...…

We head to RRR and again, it`s a walk on. I admit to only doing this once today.....once was enough.....and it was fun......Kyle and Tom had the very front row and I was the one behind. I sat beside a man who clearly loved this ride...….he was so excited and asked me what song I chose......I`m so dull. Gloria Gaynor I will survive......always have, always will...….he did tell me what he chose but I forget......then as we started to climb I could see Tom waving his hands around as he usually does and the guy beside me froze in absolute terror...…..holy cow he was scared!!!!! I leaned over as best I could and said he`d be fine...….he didn't look it and I thought this guy is going to pass out or throw up!!!! Then he started yelling...…..

By now we were dropping the first drop which is so smooth......love it!!!! Ride companion was now gripping on for his life and not making a sound...….but we were all loving it...….although the rear of the track can get busy and bumpy......for me anyway, Tom and Kyle are fine.

We come to the end and this guy looks so relieved...….we are all laughing and joking around and I turn to see he`s alright when his wife and daughter join him...they were on the back and turns out he hadn't ridden it before!!! His wife laughed and asked me if he had been alright on the ride.....I told her to go watch the video of him on it...….she said she didn't know you could see it so off they went to see it while the guy looked green......Well, I knew that feeling!!! Hope he was alright but I suspect he wouldn't be going back on that one again!!

Tom and Kyle went around again, I however cried off in the claim I wanted to make sure I could ride the Mummy and other rides today...….so I said I`d take the camera and wander around. I knew they`d go back on at least 3 times. So I had plenty of time to wander around this area on my own.

i-H7vs2wL-XL.jpg

The stage is pretty for Manheim Steamroller, but it looks much prettier at night with the lights and effects.....

i-W4LGCTs-XL.jpg

i-6kjvP4q-XL.jpg

i-dHHH5DF-XL.jpg

Again, love this little area...and it`s very quiet this morning with only one man sitting with a coffee....and it is delicately decorated with the slightest hint of Christmas...……no ostentatious overtones here...…when you do go in here, even though it`s in the centre of the park, it does feel a little peaceful despite what`s going on around you. But, it is a smoking area, so I very rarely wander in.

i-832vzFm-XL.jpg

I swear at this point I heard Tom yelling in absolute joy on RRR......his voice can carry and I`m sure it was him.....Kyle did confirm his dad yelled and wooooed all the way round...….he usually does......

i-bdGTV9R-XL.jpg

Then of course there is the highlight of this area...…...the Christmas Tree...……

I love Christmas trees with a passion...….the bigger the better.....and this one was beautiful. Not overly decorated and so pretty..…..I looked forward again to seeing it lit up by Father Christmas during the parade...

i-fGfrJfj-XL.jpg

i-5VkdjpD-XL.jpg

I had a good old wander around and took loads of pictures of all the facades decorated...…

i-DP5K3kj-XL.jpg

And the Christmas Store in this park.

It`s not as big or as well stocked as the one in IOA but it still has the wonderful aroma and you can get gifts and purchases personalised here too. Nice little store...….

i-pccmR9J-XL.jpg

i-3DKMTh3-XL.jpg

i-xgj8TTf-XL.jpg

I headed back round to the Mummy as this was where I said we`d meet once they were done with RRR.....as they weren't here I knew they were having a blast on the ride and I guessed poor Tom would feel it in his ribs again today.....lol.....he loved it really.

i-drvPScX-XL.jpg

i-vNs8BNH-XL.jpg

It did look deserted today but it was still reasonably early.....I was sure it would be busier later...…

i-Gdt6BZq-XL.jpg

i-THTt5tB-XL.jpg

It is almost perfect down here today......Christmas music is playing and the place is deserted...…and it is warm!!!! Which is weird as it feels so Christmassy here now...….that is hard to get your head around over here at this time of year...….

Heat.....Sunscreen......usually associated with summer.....then Christmas Music and decorations...….our senses were being assaulted but in a good way...…..I loved it!!!!

i-85c5k9S-XL.jpg

More to follow...……

I remember when Spongebob first came out I was maybe 9ish? I thought it looked really silly, but ended up loving it. Patrick was my favorite :laughing:

Before kids, my reaction to Spongebob was... uh... that looks... um... interesting.

But when our oldest was little, she could watch Spongebob compulsively. She didn't do that with a lot of shows. Before long, Mindy and I found ourselves enjoying it too. I wouldn't put it on myself, but if our daughter left the room I might not think to turn it off right away.

And yes, Patrick is awesome. He still cracks me up. The kids are a lot older and Spongebob is no longer a fixture, but we still quote Patrick sometimes.

I am a firm believer that the only way to do Uni is with EP! I know it's possible to not have it, but I just don't have the patience anymore. We haven't been since 2016, and I'm starting to really miss it. We keep going to WDW to run races which is nice, but the crowds, the lines, even staying club level isn't enough to offset some of the misery. I think we're on our last visits with AP, and then we'll be switching to Uni for a bit. I'd rather wait until the Star Wars mania dies down, as I think it's going to be nuts all across property when it opens...

My first visit to the Palm was in Chicago, and now I'm hooked. I can't wait to try the one at Uni! Your meals looked amazing, and such a nice evening out. No way would I be taking the boat back to RPR...

Loving this TR, so many wonderful photos from your "wanders"! :D

Maria :upsidedow

The desserts look amazing. I'm not a real dessert person and will pass, and instead would eat more bread, fries...carbs carbs carbs!!!! lol. But the rest of the family have a big sweet tooth. And I love a good steakhouse steak. I have yet to find a steak as good as an " good old Alberta Canada " beef:rolleyes1 And yup I'm biased...but those who have traveled here will say that we have the best beef ;) You might have to travel here in the summer ( Banff and Jasper are breathtakingly beautiful in the summer ) just to see if it is up to our american counter parts ::yes:: :laughing:.

I'm sorry you got so sick during and after your trip. There must have been something going around Florida. A co-worker (who was in Florida around the same time as you )at the second job was very sick and off work for almost a week ( before xmas and we work retail :scared1: so you can imagine how that works at the busiest time of the year ) I made a wide berth around her as I didn't want to get whatever she had and have our xmas ruined. A couple others caught what she had and were sick over xmas and it was not pretty. I hope your on the mend now. She and the others were pretty sick with whatever cooties she had picked up.

Can't wait to hear more. And currently our temp is -29 C ( with the windchill :eek: :faint: :cold:) so I'm enjoying seeing your sunny warm pictures!!!!!

the cocktail queen orders a drink with Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum, Malibu Coconut Rum, Orange, Pineapple and Cranberry Juice.....it was called a Waterfront
You should see my notebook for our May trip. It is filled with all these drinks I have to try. I'm almost more excited for the food and drink and as I am the rides.

Before kids, my reaction to Spongebob was... uh... that looks... um... interesting.

But when our oldest was little, she could watch Spongebob compulsively. She didn't do that with a lot of shows. Before long, Mindy and I found ourselves enjoying it too. I wouldn't put it on myself, but if our daughter left the room I might not think to turn it off right away.

And yes, Patrick is awesome. He still cracks me up. The kids are a lot older and Spongebob is no longer a fixture, but we still quote Patrick sometimes.

Lol........it probably wouldn’t have bothered me as a kid.......but yes, it is odd.

We had a show that was made in Germany in 1957 shown in the U.K. when we were kids....it was the weirdest thing ever.....called The Singing Ringing Tree......it was claimed to be the scariest thing shown to kids back in the early 1970’s....yes, it was meant to be a cartoon. No wonder we all grew up a little........wary of things.....lol......

I am a firm believer that the only way to do Uni is with EP! I know it's possible to not have it, but I just don't have the patience anymore. We haven't been since 2016, and I'm starting to really miss it. We keep going to WDW to run races which is nice, but the crowds, the lines, even staying club level isn't enough to offset some of the misery. I think we're on our last visits with AP, and then we'll be switching to Uni for a bit. I'd rather wait until the Star Wars mania dies down, as I think it's going to be nuts all across property when it opens...

My first visit to the Palm was in Chicago, and now I'm hooked. I can't wait to try the one at Uni! Your meals looked amazing, and such a nice evening out. No way would I be taking the boat back to RPR...

Loving this TR, so many wonderful photos from your "wanders"! :D

Maria :upsidedow

Oh I think when SW opens it’s going to be mayhem beyond anything we’ve seen!!! I know folks who have no interest at all in Disney but love SW and want to go see it........doesn’t sound like a lot of fun so don’t blame you waiting....

Oh it’s time you were back Maria........2016 was a long time ago!!!

The Palm is lovely.......it’s always a lovely experience and food is so good!! And thank you......glad you’re enjoying this one too........:)

The desserts look amazing. I'm not a real dessert person and will pass, and instead would eat more bread, fries...carbs carbs carbs!!!! lol. But the rest of the family have a big sweet tooth. And I love a good steakhouse steak. I have yet to find a steak as good as an " good old Alberta Canada " beef:rolleyes1 And yup I'm biased...but those who have traveled here will say that we have the best beef ;) You might have to travel here in the summer ( Banff and Jasper are breathtakingly beautiful in the summer ) just to see if it is up to our american counter parts ::yes:: :laughing:.

I'm sorry you got so sick during and after your trip. There must have been something going around Florida. A co-worker (who was in Florida around the same time as you )at the second job was very sick and off work for almost a week ( before xmas and we work retail :scared1: so you can imagine how that works at the busiest time of the year ) I made a wide berth around her as I didn't want to get whatever she had and have our xmas ruined. A couple others caught what she had and were sick over xmas and it was not pretty. I hope your on the mend now. She and the others were pretty sick with whatever cooties she had picked up.

Can't wait to hear more. And currently our temp is -29 C ( with the windchill :eek: :faint: :cold:) so I'm enjoying seeing your sunny warm pictures!!!!!

Oh my goodness that is so cold!!!!! Once and only once from my memory of weather, our temps in the UK went to -25 with wind chill.......I seriously doubted I was going to make it through that winter......lol......I’m such a wimp with cold.......

Yes, I’m more savoury over dessert........I prefer an appetiser but Kyle and Tom would prefer dessert.......

I have always wanted to see Banff. Since I was a little girl, can’t remeber where I saw it but the memory stayed with me as it was so beautiful........maybe one day and yes, definitely in the summer.....lol.........I do like the sound of the beef though!!

In Scotland we have Aberdeen Angus beef.....which is “the best of the best” over here......amazing beef if you pay for the genuine article.....very expensive, but so worth it........Yep, a good steak is the best meal ever!!!

Oh I’m glad you missed catching the flying germs!! Yes, everyone seemed to have something........it’s the same over here too.......folks are getting coughs and colds and in some cases real flu and it’s taking forever to clear. I still have a relentless cough, but I am sleeping most of the night now which helps....if you can sleep well you can usually deal with the day time ails. But think I’m on the up now.......thank you! I was more annoyed Kyle was poorly last few days.......he says this December he’s bringing winter hat, gloves and scarf......lol.....just in case!! But weather aside he definitely caught a bug rather than a cold day.........but hope you continue to avoid all the nasties still going around!!

And glad to have you still reading along.......:)

You should see my notebook for our May trip. It is filled with all these drinks I have to try. I'm almost more excited for the food and drink and as I am the rides.

Lol........that’s us!!!

We look at menu’s and plan what cocktails I’ll usually have.........food and drink definitely plays a large part of our trips too.......as they should......we’re all on vacation........::yes::

Lol........it probably wouldn’t have bothered me as a kid.......but yes, it is odd.

We had a show that was made in Germany in 1957 shown in the U.K. when we were kids....it was the weirdest thing ever.....called The Singing Ringing Tree......it was claimed to be the scariest thing shown to kids back in the early 1970’s....yes, it was meant to be a cartoon. No wonder we all grew up a little........wary of things.....lol......

Oh my. I had to look that up. We had some disturbing shows on here in the US when I was a kid in the 70's, but it seems like Europe always manages to outdo us in that department. For example, in the 80s, we had a TV movie called The Day After about nuclear war. Scared the living crud out of me as a kid. But I understand you guys had Threads which was supposed to be much, much worse.

The early episodes of Spongebob tend to be weirder than the more recent ones. Early on, the show appealed to the drug culture and I think they played up to that. Now it's primarily aimed at kids while still making an effort to entertain adults (medicinally altered state of consciousness or not). The store is very nice, but I would actually like to see Universal do a little more with the property.

Oh my. I had to look that up. We had some disturbing shows on here in the US when I was a kid in the 70's, but it seems like Europe always manages to outdo us in that department. For example, in the 80s, we had a TV movie called The Day After about nuclear war. Scared the living crud out of me as a kid. But I understand you guys had Threads which was supposed to be much, much worse.

The early episodes of Spongebob tend to be weirder than the more recent ones. Early on, the show appealed to the drug culture and I think they played up to that. Now it's primarily aimed at kids while still making an effort to entertain adults (medicinally altered state of consciousness or not). The store is very nice, but I would actually like to see Universal do a little more with the property.

Isn’t it the creepiest thing ever to show to kids!!! I wonder if that started my fear of dwarves and not the film I always blamed it on!!!

Oh The Day After was like a day in Disneyland after watching Threads. You are correct it was much worse......very gritty and genuinely horrific........unlike The Day After, which gave some kind of hope for the future......Threads left you devastated and traumatised with no sense of hope....only horrific death visuals.

Everyone watched it.....and no one escaped unscathed. Some of the scenes I’ll never forget as long as I live......I always think of the expression “you can’t unsee it” when I think of that film. I wish I could.

Had no idea Spongebob was aimed at the alternative cultures......lol.......medicinally altered state is a nice description!!.

Hi enjoying following along! As I read your report there are a few areas I have missed due to trying to get to much done. I am going to make it a point on our next trip to take time and explore some of the sites you have mentioned. I agree the pictures are beautiful and I enjoy seeing all the holiday decorations.

It is so easy to see how you and Tom are enjoying having your son with you. The happiness is radiating. That is so nice to see parents with their adult children. I hope you have many more trips together.

The Palm food looks lovely. Brian loves his steak rare to medium rare. I just can't do that. I know it is a great way to eat it. The best I can do is Medium. I am glad you enjoyed Lombard's. We were there a few years ago and had a great experience.

Thanks for the great report!

Enjoying this report too schumigirl! I want to visit uni soon during the Star Wars mayhem coming to my Disney parks - but I cannot ride coasters or simulators. Will I find lots to do anyway like I do at the other parks?

Hi enjoying following along! As I read your report there are a few areas I have missed due to trying to get to much done. I am going to make it a point on our next trip to take time and explore some of the sites you have mentioned. I agree the pictures are beautiful and I enjoy seeing all the holiday decorations.

It is so easy to see how you and Tom are enjoying having your son with you. The happiness is radiating. That is so nice to see parents with their adult children. I hope you have many more trips together.

The Palm food looks lovely. Brian loves his steak rare to medium rare. I just can't do that. I know it is a great way to eat it. The best I can do is Medium. I am glad you enjoyed Lombard's. We were there a few years ago and had a great experience.

Thanks for the great report!

Thanks so much bobbie.........

There reallly is a whole host of little places to explore just a little off the normal path.......and yes the holiday decorations were so pretty.....

We adore Kyle being with us again....although we are so lucky he is still at home and see him every day, you know what it’s like, he has work and his life to be getting on with. So spending all that time together is a real blessing.......and yes, we’ll be back together this December again.......Have you been during the holidays??? I forget if you have been at that time before.......

The Palm is lovely......and nothing wrong with a medium steak......lol......

Yes, we’ve been visiting Lombards since 2007, but it just lost it a little for us couple of years ago when food and service weren’t the usual standard, but they seem to have picked up again......so we’ll go back again at some point this year........

Glad you’re still reading.........:goodvibes

Enjoying this report too schumigirl! I want to visit uni soon during the Star Wars mayhem coming to my Disney parks - but I cannot ride coasters or simulators. Will I find lots to do anyway like I do at the other parks?

Glad you’re still reading too Minniedoc........

There are times we don’t concentrate on the rides but still go in the park. We love the whole atmosphere of the parks......we can wander around for hours.

The only simulators I can’t do are Simpsons and Transformers. And I’m fine with coasters.

Minions and Shrek have non moving seats that are ideal for those that can’t do the simulators....that might be something to consider. Jimmy Fallon although I hate the ride has a very cool entrance building to walk through.....full of nostalgia from the shows over the years......

There are shows like Horror Make Up Show.......it’s the coolest show ever! Also around the parks there are shows at set times, Blues Brothers, Beat Builders and singers around Finnegans area.......the times will be on the guide you can pick up on the way in to the parks.

If you enjoy water rides Universal has a couple that are very good!!

Of course Harry Potter will take up a lot of time to explore.......even if you’re not the biggest Potter fan, it is an amazing experience in both parks.....so much detail and cute little stores to explore.

There are areas you can sit and enjoy some peace and quiet in both parks and plenty of food choices....some better than others of course.

So, yes, I think you can still enjoy the parks. There are only 2 coasters which are Hulk and RRR although Mummy is a coaster but it’s not as severe as the big two.

Have you looked at the park maps and see everything that’s there?

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/plan-your-visit/resort-maps/index.html

This link will allow you to open up the maps of both parks and Volcano Bay and Citywalk too.

And of course if you stay onsite, the hotels are lovely for the most part........and you can have some resort time too which is always nice.

Pool hopping is positively encouraged between the on-site hotels and they all have some kind of entertainment.......RP has the luau and Sapphire has their Caribbean Carnival show........

At Citywalk you have a good mini golf place......two courses, one alien themed and one a haunted theme......both best done at night. And the cinema too if you enjoy a movie now and again.

There is more, but I think you could pass your time easy...........:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter