HO-HO-HOLY GRINCHMAS...10 JOLLY HOLIDAY NIGHTS AT RPR..NOV/DEC 2018

So good to have you back. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!
I looked into that camera Tom has and yes, it is pricey, so I wont have one this trip. However, it takes the most wonderful pictures. It is just amazing. Well worth the cost. He made an outstanding choice, especially because its not huge and heavy.

Thanks Vicki.....hope you had a lovely Christmas too........nice to get back to normality though, and I adore Christmas and all the craziness that goes with it sometimes!

It’s larger than a normal compact, but still fits in waist packs....but yes, he loves it and I’m glad we got it, he’s convinced me it was the right buy......now our other cameras just sit and do nothing!!!

What a fun morning, we found that area in April and loved it. It is really fun to watch people getting drenched!

Hey Caroline........

It is so much fun watching everyone else get drenched!!! And it’s never too busy down there as most folks don’t wander down beyond either Bluto or the ship. Yep, we love it too......::yes::

We had finally watched enough people get drenched to sate even our nasty evil side...…..we then headed down to the lagoon, where it was peaceful right now...….and it was hot now. You could really feel the change in temperature even though it was still dull......and of course we were loving it!!!

You do get some lovely views and slightly differing views of things like Hulk from down here...…and it usually is very quiet with very few folks to disturb the perceived solitude......and today is no different.....Kyle jokes it`s like total gridlock at one point.....there`s another 5 people around us......

i-QLqLRfF-XL.jpg

i-CFn4R4f-XL.jpg

It is a quiet area and well worth having a wander down to if you can....there are some cute little items dotted around that fit with the theme of the area.....I`m sure I`ve posted them on other trip reports...…but when it`s busy it is nice to get away for a little bit from....well, people...…..lol

i-mfJZbfx-XL.jpg

We can really see the sun is coming out now and it is heating up nicely......thankfully!!! Glancing over to Dr Seuss, I`m reminded I want to have one of the very huge cotton candy that they sell......it is mahoosive!!! But, I never seem to be ready for it when we pass......and I guess today will be no different...….Kyle doesn't like what we call candy floss......and Tom could eat a little, so maybe one day I`ll have a little of it to try.....

Seuss looks so good from here...…

A lady who is with her maybe granddaughter stops, points over to the trolley train ride and asks Kyle and I if that train thing over the water is a ride suitable for children or not...….

I can see the wicked side of Kyle ready to say, no, that's not a ride.....it`s for Team Members only...…..but, he wouldn't do that to anyone, however tempting.......but again it only emphasises to us how many people visit the parks and don't do even the most basic of research...….I was once asked in the MIB store in the Studios one day where in the park was Jurassic Park ride!!!! I don't even think they were aware there was two parks!! But we do tell them what kind of a ride it is and the little girl will love it...….they don't say thank you and head off to find what I assume is grandpa and begin to argue whether to do that or go do ET????? Think they need to check the maps...…..

i-8bPC7Xz-XL.jpg

As we wander around Me Ship the Olive we see there are a few people using the soakers on the higher deck and hitting some of the folks in the barges......they find it as funny as we do by the sounds of them!!!

i-4FVD58V-XL.jpg

And of course we have Mythos over the other side too. I still mentally thank @keishashadow every time I see this view......I honestly didn't see Atlas until she pointed it out once in a post...…....now, of course you can`t not see him...……

i-NVTrZKc-XL.jpg

i-gmwHXBf-XL.jpg

i-bMLvB9B-XL.jpg

i-56pC2fm-XL.jpg

This little river is almost like a river to nowhere......you half expect to see little boats being sailed up and down for some reason.....

i-shJKGsJ-XL.jpg

i-bgfQFgP-XL.jpg

This is another area where you just get wet on the ride.....not as bad as the first deluge, but this is where if you are sitting with your feet up to keep your shoes dry.....you may just be wasting your time as the water comes in over head.

i-JnQqZ88-XL.jpg

Rather reluctantly we head out of this little area and head round to Kong which Kyle is keen to do again......but of course first we stop off at our usual little haunts and take some snaps...….and even show I do have my lovely husband with us today!!!

He really is much happier behind the camera, and often describes himself as my personal photographer...….bless him!!! Better than a selfie stick!!!

This sign below is one we would love to recreate at home......most trips we get home whooped....and that's not just jetlag...….we do keep busy on our trips, wouldn't have it any other way of course.....but we do feel we need a vacation to recover at times. Of course it helps neither of us has to work.....Tom retiring early was the best thing ever for us and we wouldn't change it for the world.....

i-zQgF9cH-XL.jpg

The park doesn't feel too busy today in certain areas.....and it is quiet here right now.....although there`s not too many folks on the water ride right now...….certainly wouldn't be me today...….

i-MPfpmz4-XL.jpg

Loving every second with my boy!!!!

i-gS8h7ft-XL.jpg

Kong is quite impressive.…..you can`t really see the main doors where you go into the ride from here, but they are impressive....the ride for me is one I`ll do every trip, not every day we`re here....it`s decent, but not fabulous. Although it`s one of those rides that whole families can go on together which I suppose is the way Universal is going now. Yes, I still haven't forgiven them for getting rid of the best coaster in the park that was Duelling Dragons...…..yes, I hold a grudge!!!

Although I believe what is going in it`s place will be amazing. Nothing like the junk that is Fallon or Fast & Furious....but a real ride with a fabulous storyline......and now we don't have long to wait till it will be open to the public.....well, not too long!!!

i-sW4Z78w-XL.jpg

There is no line for EP and the regular line is around 25 minutes at this point......we walk straight on and get our favourite rows which is row 11 and to the far right of the vehicle......row 12 is decent too, but the further back you sit the better the view is I believe.....especially at the end.

We do enjoy it again, and Kyle is happy he`s done it again......although I doubt we`ll bother again this trip.

i-jj8tB57-XL.jpg

As it isn't a zillion degree outside today, we won`t be doing even JP...….this ride can totally drench you....give you a half soaking......mildly sprinkle you with water.....or you can come off bone dry...….or any mix of the above depending where you are sitting and how the boat is loaded...…..but we don't want to risk getting soaked as it will take a little longer to dry......I think it`s high 70`s right now.

We do however like to watch the boats come down and see the massive splash at the bottom.....I have to admit we do love this ride.....we love the slow steady and gentle start, and then onto one of the best drops around...….I do wish it was higher and longer....but I love drops!!! The bigger the better now...….I hear a lot of people say they can`t handle the drop on this ride, and yes it is quite steep.....but...…..so much fun!!!!!! I hope if they do the revamp that is being talked about at some point....they don't make the drop child friendly.....it`s supposed to be scary!!!

i-gnLLwk5-XL.jpg

Again there are a few little bits of the beaten track that are relatively peaceful and pretty......we don't hang around long today though……

i-Kp9Lvtd-XL.jpg

Up next......Potter, HE and Lombards for lunch...

I appreciate your TR has pictures taken with a thoughtful perspective, often off the beaten path. Seems like each time I trip over something new lol. the ‘school of fish’. On the to-do list:)

Thanks Keisha...….

Yep, there are hundreds of little touches all around the parks, sometimes right in front of you!!!! I`ve had many "has that always been there" moment...…….

i-KNKK3Mm-XL.jpg

We were straight to Potter now.

This whole area is amazing......the castle itself is beautiful......we are never less than impressed every time we see it.....and I think this is a Universal feeling. I`ve never seen anyone underwhelmed by it. Of course there are always those that go into it having already made up their mind that they won`t like the whole area....thankfully these are few and far between.

The bridge is a classic photo opportunity....and many of course take a whole load of pictures. Folks are always happy to take pictures for each other.....and today was no different......I swear Tom could make a fortune if he charged for all the pictures he takes for others...….

i-x44S6V2-XL.jpg

i-WHQdjbL-XL.jpg

We turn up right to go on FJ. But, today I decide to give it a miss......I was worried I had a headache coming on....so would rather it miss it today, but told Tom to go on as many times as they wanted to.....I`m fine wandering around on my own for hours if need be......it`s one place I never mind being alone. So many do the parks solo and no one genuinely looks at you odd if you are on your own......it`s such a comfortable place to be and I could wander around all day.

So I get the camera!!!!!!

And this was where the bulk of the crowds were...….if you could call them crowds.....I didn't take any low crowd pictures today.....this is where I miss Tom as he does all this naturally......I was more looking up and around me...….

i-ksZZzbV-XL.jpg

i-qjwhG27-XL.jpg

i-dzL7GPN-XL.jpg

The detail in the windows alone are phenomenal. You do have to look in every window and look beyond at times...….you can see a typewriter being used in one and a quill being written with and there`s no one there.....so much detail...…

At this point I have to use the bathroom. I don't really take pictures in bathrooms and don't today either. But, even if you don't need to go and use the facilities, always have a wander in and just listen....Moaning Myrtle is as clear as a bell in there…….it`s very weird knowing it`s her you here...….and very cleverly done.

I go into a stall and I noticed a ladies handbag hanging up on the little peg......oh I know that feeling of losing a handbag!!!! It`s dreadful...….I open the door and the lady who works there is in the stall next to me so I take it off the peg and hand it straight to her......I wouldn't have left it hanging there if she hadn't been right there.....I know it could easily vanish in a few seconds if I did that. She immediately says she knows the lady who is looking for it......and puts it in her little room while she sees if she can find her outside.

I go back in and after I`ve washed my hands and exiting the bathrooms, the custodian is walking in with the lady who`s bag it was. The custodian introduces me and the lady is so grateful, she shakes my hand and thanks me again and again. It`s a pleasure I tell her. Another lady saw and said she wished me good fortune and hoped it would be payed forward. I was just glad I had found it and not someone who might not have handed it in. However, I do believe most folks are honest and would have done so. But, there`s always the small minority.

So, I head into The 3 Broomsticks and take a couple of pictures...….I also order a pumpkin fizz.....usually I share this with Tom as it is a little too sweet to drink a whole one on my own, but, as he wasn't here I`d drink as much as I felt like...……

I sat down beside the 3 Broomsticks themselves...……

I`m always amazed at folks who say they didn't realize they were there.....but, as I mentioned earlier I had also missed some very obvious things in the parks!!!!

i-vxpLfsc-XL.jpg

I have no idea of the time right now, but I think they had already started serving lunch...…..the smell of the food in here is always lovely, but just doesn't appeal to us very much. And sitting here is lovely.....you can watch the world and his mother go past.....every nationality you can think of judging by the accents I heard. There was definitely a Norwegian family close by as I recognised a few phrases and words.....I don't speak the language, just know a few words from our previous trips there.

I do finish the drink today, and then head back out into the daylight...…..I told them I would be in the owlery and to wait there if I wasn't there.....I wouldn't be far away......I had a quick look and they weren't back yet....I guessed they were re riding FJ as many times as they could. I can do FJ once, maybe twice on a good day...….it knocks me a little....nothing like Simpsons of course....that is the worst ride in the parks for me. But, FJ is such a fantastic ride...….I don't think there`s anything else quite like it...…Tom and Kyle have no motion sickness issues thankfully. Kyle was always a child who could read in the car for hours......I can barely look at my phone when I`m a passenger......I`m fine driving of course as you`re focused, but always envied folks who can read while the car rolls along.

i-L96cP3s-XL.jpg

i-fffPsTC-XL.jpg

i-nM4Lb4S-XL.jpg

I wander around for another 10 minutes or so and then spot them coming down the path.....with the biggest grins on their faces.....they had loved the ride and went on around 6 times...….that's how you spend a morning!!!!

We had already decided to get the HE over to the Studios this morning...…..so we headed back out of Hogsmeade and go for the train...……

As most know you do need a park to park ticket to ride the Hogwarts Express.....we had usually seen folks arguing at this point that they didn't know and should still be able to ride it......nice try usually...….but today we didn't see anything like that.

For Potter fans the train is a must do......it encompasses all that is the essence of the journey Harry made...….we really enjoy it and have ridden it more times than I care to think about. And we still never get bored of it.

On the way we try and see what developments have been implemented since we were last here in September, and the answer was not too many.....but you could see where the main construction has gone up....and of course they had added a load of trees so you couldn't see anything very clearly...….

But, you can see what is going to be Hagrid`s Hut...…..don't think it`ll be any surprise when this ride is revealed. It does look amazing!!!!

i-BTTNWrf-XL.jpg

i-JbWQ9Wq-XL.jpg

The EP for HE is handy......today there`s a reasonable line for non EP so we basically tootle right to the front.....you don't miss much using the EP on this...….

i-2dSNww9-XL.jpg

The very lovely young lady station guard directs us to the front line...….I was sure we`d have people join us as there was a load of people filing in behind us...….but no, we had the first little area to ourselves.

We do love having a compartment to ourselves...….although it`s usually quite nice to chat to others if they`re nice. We did have one very uncomfortable journey years ago where we shared with a couple who were German I believe and had been rowing like crazy......and then never spoke a word to each other as they sat together looking extremely irate!!! Awkward...….

i-Kdw9pTL-XL.jpg

i-ztm6TCz-XL.jpg

And we do get the compartment to ourselves.

We like the train. Some folks we hear make such derogatory comments about it.....never quite understood the hatred for it from some. Some folks object to having to upgrade tickets to be able to ride it...........some folks say it stinks......can`t say I`ve noticed that in any of the many, many journeys we`ve made in it......of course some people are a different category of course....but it`s a fun ride, very short but they make it as pleasant as they can and the views from the window vary each way...…and you also have to watch the doors to the compartment too......you can see and hear some stuff too...…

The compartment itself is retro fitted and is almost exactly like rail carriages in the UK from the mid 70`s....minus the pictures on the wall. But, the seats and windows are identical.

i-ckTtxcC-XL.jpg

i-2tLKhJ6-XL.jpg

We enjoy the brief journey, get out at King`s Cross and again, it`s fairly quiet...…..I have to admit, even though I had the pumpkin fizz.....I am starving now!!!! My boys very rarely claim to be starving.....but even Kyle said today he was ready for some food.

i-ZRK85Zq-XL.jpg

Lombards is an incredibly pretty restaurant. It is a classic style and doesn't really look like it should be in a theme park at all...…

We give our name and I head into the bathroom first.....when I come out they've already gone in......so I go seek them out and for the first time we are over by the window on the far side. Nice table.

i-fSjJS3x-XL.jpg

Kyle orders a strawberry smoothy, Tom a plain and simple lemonade....and of course the cocktail queen orders a drink with Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum, Malibu Coconut Rum, Orange, Pineapple and Cranberry Juice.....it was called a Waterfront...….I love rum, but not overly fond of spiced rum...….it`s funny as all my brothers and sisters love it!!! It`s the drink most of them would choose......but then they`re all huge football fans and I hate it.....maybe it is me!!! I guess I am the odd one out......but I prefer it that way...…..

But, we all love rum!!!! In one form or other...…..

i-TNP9LGJ-XL.jpg

And very nice the drinks were too!!!

i-wWvwZVW-XL.jpg

We enjoyed our drinks as we perused the not vast menu...….there is plenty to choose from if you are fish eater or not. It`s not an upscale restaurant by any means, it has very reasonable prices as with most places in Universal and we have had hits and misses in here over the years.

We had taken it out of rotation for a few years after a meal that wasn't excellent and service wasn't the best......so we gave it a miss for a couple of years and today was the first day we had been back in a while.

As well as seafood, you can have chicken and also burgers, I imagine even the fussiest of people could eat here and enjoy it. And it is such a beautiful setting...….

We eventually ordered and Tom and Kyle went for the fish and fries, I opted to try the Fishermans Basket...….this would include wild Alaskan cod, shrimp, calamari, and oysters in a very light batter, with French fries.....it sounded nice. I had thought about getting an appetiser of a shrimp cocktail, but as we were eating at The Palm tonight and I really wanted to be ready to enjoy a much nicer meal...…

i-hRZk4Ls-XL.jpg

Tom went outside and took a few snaps.....one included my favourite statue of the fisherman that used to be in the original Jaws area.…...they keep moving it and then it mysteriously appears again...…really, it had to stay within the San Francisco area as it wouldn't really fit anywhere else...

i-tBxgDS3-XL.jpg

And of course Bruce is still visible and will happily pose for pictures with anyone...…..

i-95ZsqGH-XL.jpg

He came back in as the food arrived, and I think Tom and Kyle will really enjoy theirs...….for me there was slightly too much batter on them....it should have been less, but they were all nice nonetheless.....

i-tk8Lwdx-XL.jpg

Apart from the calamari..…..I`m extremely fussy with calamari and like it barely cooked.....but this wasn't quite as it should be. It wasn't rubbery thankfully, just slightly overdone. But, the fish itself, the shrimp and the oysters were delicious...…..

i-wG3FQRF-XL.jpg

Service was lovely...….we had a very nice lady taking care of us and she was pleasant without being overly attentive...

I did wish I had ordered something else, but not because it wasn't good....I just wished I`d gone for the shrimp cocktail.....I adore shrimp and should have just got it......but we would go back to Lombards again as we all enjoyed our food.

We sat for a little while and then decided Tom and Kyle would do Fast and Furious as Kyle hadn't done it yet......I would give it a miss...…I thought it was the worst ride Universal have come up with since Jimmy Fallon!! But, of course Kyle wanted to see for himself.

More to follow...………….

Last edited:
I tend to not order seafood on vacation as we are used to very fresh seafood in Boston, where we live. But I do find that for things that are covered in batter, it really doesn't matter :)

Purple is my favorite color, too! I love your tree, so clever to have one devoted to those awesome Universal ornaments -- now anytime you see one you want it is justified :D

Maria :upsidedow

My mr can vouche for Lombard’s shrimp cocktail lol. I’m Not a fan of neither Lombard’s or finnegan’s breading on seafood,bit of a soggy mess

I’ve always been puzzled by those who rant re the HP train. Not a fan of the lines we tend to encounter, but really enjoy It as an attraction unto itself. Guess you can’t please everybody

I love to hold my son’s hand and hug him so much when I am with him, ha I love your Wizard of Oz moment, my son wouldn’t let me do that either!

I agree about Hogsmeade area it is so wonderful, I love FJ, it is the best ride I have ever been on. I can only do 1x in a row or I feel the effects. Andi did it 9x in a row one time and she was white as a ghost after and had to sit for awhile!

I love The Hogwarts Express, TM gave us a train car to ourselves one time because Andi was dressed as a Slytherin, he said he was one too and wanted her to get back to Hogwarts on time!

I love shrimp, your meal looks good to me, sorry the calamari wasn’t the best, Andi and I try calamari at almost every place we go!

I’m with you Fallon and F&F were bad!

Love all your pictures!

I love the way they tied the lemon up in a little parcel on your plate! I have never seen that before. I wonder if Kyle will like Fast and Furious any better than the rest of us. I'm guessing no! I'm excited to say that Santa renewed our annual passes!(S)he is such a sweetheart:rotfl: So, we've got a lot to look forward to in 2019. I'm ready for it, because 2018 was so very rough for our family. Your purple tree is lovely. I'd love to see pictures of all your trees. I'm keeping my decorations up until epiphany, as we usually do. I want to enjoy them as long as possible

I tend to not order seafood on vacation as we are used to very fresh seafood in Boston, where we live. But I do find that for things that are covered in batter, it really doesn't matter :)

Purple is my favorite color, too! I love your tree, so clever to have one devoted to those awesome Universal ornaments -- now anytime you see one you want it is justified :D

Maria :upsidedow

Oh I agree......where we live we have lovely seafood......but where we used to live we had the best lobster, scallops and langoustines around, heck any seafood was good.......like you I prefer fresh seafood.......I can imagine Boston having sublime options!!!!

Another purple fan!!! There are quite a few of us who love purple.......we did have a pretty awesome shop in the Christmas shop later in the trip with a friend.......we did well that day!!!!

My mr can vouche for Lombard’s shrimp cocktail lol. I’m Not a fan of neither Lombard’s or finnegan’s breading on seafood,bit of a soggy mess

I’ve always been puzzled by those who rant re the HP train. Not a fan of the lines we tend to encounter, but really enjoy It as an attraction unto itself. Guess you can’t please everybody

I should have got the shrimp cocktail!!! Yes, the breading isn’t great......I usually don’t as I prefer naked fish....you know what I mean....lol......yes, if I have to have something battered or breaded it’s got to be crisp and fresh.....this kinda wasn’t.......but it was ok.

Yes, I think some folks get a kick out of just slating Universal wherever they can........I’ve read some weird and wonderful comments on here alone........you just know some are nonsense and out for a reaction in some cases......yep, guess you really can’t please some!!

I love to hold my son’s hand and hug him so much when I am with him, ha I love your Wizard of Oz moment, my son wouldn’t let me do that either!

I agree about Hogsmeade area it is so wonderful, I love FJ, it is the best ride I have ever been on. I can only do 1x in a row or I feel the effects. Andi did it 9x in a row one time and she was white as a ghost after and had to sit for awhile!

I love The Hogwarts Express, TM gave us a train car to ourselves one time because Andi was dressed as a Slytherin, he said he was one too and wanted her to get back to Hogwarts on time!

I love shrimp, your meal looks good to me, sorry the calamari wasn’t the best, Andi and I try calamari at almost every place we go!

I’m with you Fallon and F&F were bad!

Love all your pictures!

Lol......that dance was never going to happen!!! Yep, we’re lucky to have such a “huggy” family......he never minds me hugging him in public.....

9 times in a row!!! Oh my......I’d be white too!! I remember Kyle did Duelling Dragons 26 times in a row one day!! He was loving it!! Not me........but yes, FJ is an amazing ride.

Oh how lovely you got the compartment to yourself.......we do prefer it and have been lucky a lot of times......oh I adore shrimp......one of my most favourite foods!!! Love calamari too but prefer it barely cooked.......

Glad you like the pictures, thank you.........that’s nice to hear........:wave2:

I love the way they tied the lemon up in a little parcel on your plate! I have never seen that before. I wonder if Kyle will like Fast and Furious any better than the rest of us. I'm guessing no! I'm excited to say that Santa renewed our annual passes!(S)he is such a sweetheart:rotfl: So, we've got a lot to look forward to in 2019. I'm ready for it, because 2018 was so very rough for our family. Your purple tree is lovely. I'd love to see pictures of all your trees. I'm keeping my decorations up until epiphany, as we usually do. I want to enjoy them as long as possible

Lol.......the first time I saw the lemon like that was in Bahama Breeze back in 2007.......love it.....so cute....and I have so much lemon on my food it’s ideal as no pips to worry about......

Oh congrats on Santa being kind and delivering new Annual Passes..........fabulous!!!

After such a rough year I hope this one is much better for you........things take their toll don’t they.......(((hugs)))

Although I do adore Christmas trees, soon as New Years Day is over I want the house back to normal........so much work to put everything up.....but seems to take forever to get everything down and pack away carefully......but we do it don’t we.........

Glad you’re still reading along........:goodvibes

With full and mostly contented tummies we left Lombards with the intention of coming back at some point....I want the shrimp cocktail!!! I should have asked mr keisha of course as I know he enjoys shrimp too......but, now I know.....but overall we had enjoyed the meal and the service. So, maybe March or May we`ll pop back for a lunch.

Kyle and Tom then went over to do Fast & Furious...….I said I`d go sit down somewhere and wait for them....Tom was happy to go back on and let Kyle see what it was all about......I guessed already what he`d think.

So, I sat and people watched for a while and enjoyed some sitting and watching the world pass by.

Chez Alcatraz is another of those little gem type places, and again one of places when you talk about it, some folks say "where?" I guess some pass it by and if it`s closed, they may not pay attention to it......…..but, the TM who work there are fabulous and make a decent cocktail....it`s been a while since we had some of their food which is definitely snack style......and it was good. Anything I saw being served looked so good.....this is one of those places we have a drink at but are never hungry while we`re there...but we really should try their snacks sometime.

i-GnPb9CJ-XL.jpg

i-M2tmgZ7-XL.jpg

i-qD2MVvP-XL.jpg

After around 25 minutes my guys appeared again. The had gone through the regular line as opposed to using EP so Kyle could see the whole thing...….and give an honest assessment.

They were laughing as they walked over to meet me......I wondered if he actually had enjoyed it.....but, no....they were laughing at how ridiculous the whole ride was. Kyle had liked the garage area and that was about it......he also thought the whole "family" thing was superfluously overdone. He wouldn't be wanting to do that ride again. Tom was pleased too...means he needn't do it again either...….it really is a mystery how it was so badly done. Universal have created some fabulous rides and themes....so to get this so wrong was amazing......and of course JF too.....wonder if it was the same designers for both rides!!!

Kyle as always was in the mood for something chocolate...….and one of his favourite things is Ben & Jerry`s ice cream....chocolate of course....and this was going to be our next stop...…..

i-4t35XLz-XL.jpg

Tom and I decided we wouldn't have anything as we wanted to enjoy our dinner at The Palm tonight.....and even the small ice cream from here is quite large. We did think of getting a caramel one between us, but it was just Kyle for this one……..

Chocolate fudge brownie with extra chocolate sauce...….

i-n5VGcR8-XL.jpg

Where he puts it at times I have no idea!!! He once told us when he was a child he thought he had a separate tummy for chocolate...….even when he was full, he still had room for chocolate!!! And he usually did.

We came back out to some sunshine...…...it was now much warmer too......not that it was cool, but it felt significantly warmer now………

i-VDBd784-XL.jpg

i-m3zzK6T-XL.jpg

You could see them preparing the route for the small parade they have in the afternoon......we aren't big parade folks generally....if we see it we see it, but don't usually go out of our way to catch it. It`s decent.....very enthusiastic dancers and characters...…

Even though Kyle has had ice cream seconds ago, he wants to do The Mummy...….and why not.....I do wonder if I should sit away from him....that was a lot of ice cream and The Mummy is still a coaster. We had seen someone throw up once years ago......not pleasant......some folks just find it rougher and if you`re not a coaster person I suppose it can make you bad.

But, we nevertheless go on. The regular line is fairly long today, but with EP we are almost straight on.....our biggest wait is when we ask for the front row and have to wait on the next set of cars...….

Love this ride...…..we all love it!!! At times it seems faster than usual and you really get that fast dropping experience on the drop which we love. I hear someone behind me screaming and hope she`s enjoying it.....when we get off she clearly hasn't enjoyed a second of it...….

Now we come off laughing and on a high every time...….this woman.....no. She was crying and berating her poor husband who we assumed had persuaded her she`d love it...….you try not to look but you can`t help it....this woman was genuinely upset and was in no way ever going to go back on this ride......and if her words were to be believed he was now languishing in Hell...….lol...….

We did go back on again and this time it was a quieter ride with no screaming in our ears!!! Such a good ride......and the theme is fabulous......and don't forget to look out for the little nod to King Kong in there...…

i-PqmGqbp-XL.jpg

We get the bag out of the lockers which is a much nicer experience since they changed the locker area here...so much more room.

We head down to Delancey Street and admire the Christmas decorations.....again, subtle and not too overly done...…

i-gF9c4Nk-XL.jpg

i-vt2wJxZ-XL.jpg

i-bPRS2z5-XL.jpg

i-n8pKRZK-XL.jpg

So many of the windows have great detail in them.....and even now I still notice something I`ve missed before......but, there really is lots to see in the windows alone.

i-Kbp2GcR-XL.jpg

i-7NtT369-XL.jpg

They decide they`re going to do Transformers.

Although I can do Spiderman just fine with no issues whatsoever...….TF has a screen that plays with my brain and addles it like a blender!! I came off this ride feeling fairly nauseous......not as bad as Simpsons, but bad enough to know I probably won`t do it again...….and I``m not really a fan of the movies.....I have no clue who any of the characters are and thank @keishashadow for telling me who the good guys and the bad guys are, I didn't have a clue...….but they enjoy it but they do like the movies too which helps I suppose......so I tell them I`ll meet them outside after they`ve done it.....

I had forgotten the parade was coming around, so decided to hang around the store until they came out....and caught some of the parade...…..

i-jXFSqdW-XL.jpg

i-QMcRN3Q-XL.jpg

Something I usually keep to myself...…..

I have a real aversion to SpongeBob Squarepants……..I find him very eerie and a little creepy......I have no clue of the stories as thankfully I don't know any little ones that ever wanted to watch it......but there is something about that weird little yellow thing that spooks me a little!!! Yep...I know....I know......

But, apparently I have this look whenever it used to come on...……

Still do I suppose!!! lol

i-cKqwfKK-XL.jpg

i-3P52D3Z-XL.jpg

i-9LkVtR6-XL.jpg

i-r3sfw7f-XL.jpg

As it finished they came out of the ride....there had been a delay as there was an issue with the ride for a short time......I did think they had been longer than usual.

We decided then to head out of the park...but first we dismissed the idea of RRR, we`d be doing that another day....but we did do Minions......the regular line was 90 minutes at this point of the day.....with EP we were straight on. There were around 10 people in front of us, so when they moved it had only been a few moments since we joined the line...…

This is the joy of EP!!!!

We always enjoy this ride…..simple.....and Kyle enjoys it too. But no way in heck would I wait any length of time for it......maybe 15-20 minutes max.....but 90 minutes, and we had seen it longer in September, no, not for us...…..

We left the park and headed to see if there was a boat waiting, if not we`d walk...…..and there was a boat so we hopped on it and were back at the hotel in no time...…..

Coming up.....The Palm..….

My daughter is the same way! She loves riding Spider-Man but has sworn off Transformers forever because of motion sickness. It messes with my head bit too.

My daughter is the same way! She loves riding Spider-Man but has sworn off Transformers forever because of motion sickness. It messes with my head bit too.

Add me to the club. Can’t figure out what exactly triggers my nausea on the ride as I do love the franchise

Carole - no idea you had an aversion to spongebob, interesting. He’s quite big in my corner of the world, Patrick even moreso lol.

Nice to read you still were doing well as to crowds and the EP. I agree with Kyle, the best part of the F&F is lingering in the garage area for the eye candy.

The boat was swift and we were back at the hotel in a few minutes...….the boat captains are usually engaging and very humorous. They always make the short journey a giggle...….

Once we are back up in the room, Kyle decides to go for a sleep.....so we think we`ll head up to the lounge for a while to let him have some peace and quiet.....he does look tired.

So, up to the lounge and we chat to the manager who is in....she is so much fun and a genuinely nice lady....we chat to her most of the time we`re in so time passes so quickly. We could sit all day and talk to her.....it`s fairly quiet most of the time until food begins to get served....and alcohol too. We do have some wine as we`re not driving tonight. We don't touch the food though as we are so looking forward to the food tonight and don't want to ruin our appetite. I didn't notice what the option was tonight at all, but it seemed popular.

We go down to our room around 6.15 and wake Kyle up......he feels better. It`s funny how a sleep can work wonders.....I love a snooze!!!!

We all get showered and changed and then head downstairs to get and ODC...…..we do however meet someone and start chatting to her...….and don't realise the time....eventually though we say our goodbyes and head outside. We do still take a couple of pictures by the lovely tree in RP.....it is impressive and the little gingerbread village is beautiful.....they do this every year and add to it each day, twice a day.

Me and my boy!!!!

i-nfZh3xB-XL.jpg

i-4fMXKZp-XL.jpg

The entrance to the hotel is always beautiful...….but it is extra special at Christmas...….

i-PZSqXGB-XL.jpg

The valet guy says we may need to wait for a car as they are all out......he asks what time our reservation is and he checks his watch, asks us to wait a few moments and disappears...….

The ODC are fabulous......between the deluxe hotels they are free to all registered guests, except for a tip of course......you just give your name and room number and the valet guy hands the paper to the driver so he knows it`s technically a free ride. I guess most people tip as you should do, but have heard that some don't. To use the cars to go anywhere else you do pay for them.....we are usually $20 to take us to Sand Lake Road area plus tip.....you can call them to come back for you if they`re not busy. The drivers we have always had are usually lovely and quite chatty.....

We wondered where Joseph went, when one of the hotel cars appear in front of us......he gets out and tells us he`ll take us over as if we wait for an ODC we`ll be late for our reservation...….nice of him to do so, we really appreciated it.

And we are there in a few minutes...….we give him a nice tip and thank him for taking the time to do this for us...…he says no problem…..it wa s anew hotel car and they all love to drive it, so whenever they can they take the chance.....lol....love it!!!!!

We did plan to take some pictures beside the guitar fountain, but the seats close by and the fountain itself was very busy with smokers.....we could smell them as we got out the car so we decided to give that area a miss tonight...….shame as it is pretty.

I don't like the HRH very much....I find it quite cold and not the most welcoming....staff for the most part are very nice and we do have a good friend that works there as a manger, but behind the scenes...... she`s not working tonight though....

We do have time to take a few pictures here in front of their tree too......there is a couple who are taking individual pictures of each other.....Tom asks if he would like them to have one or two together....and of course they do and are very grateful......they were very nice and of course asked if we would like a picture together with the three of us which we would love them to take.

i-zH35WPP-XL.jpg

The Palm is a beautiful restaurant and one of the nicest onsite restaurants there is......food is spectacular and service is always the best there is around. I always smile when people say the food at Universal is no good/bad/bland/tasteless/awful/boring/typical theme park food...….

Maybe they need to rethink their options for places they have eaten...….there are some not so great choices in the parks.....Monster Café, Mels and Café 4 to name a few we wouldn't eat in....and even in Citywalk there is Bubba Gump`s which we find dreadful. I wouldn't describe it as a seafood restaurant at all...….I much prefer places that are genuine seafood options and serve only fresh or as fresh as possible seafood......

But, all around the parks, Citywalk and the hotels there are some wonderful places to eat...whether it be a quick service place like Thunder Falls Terrace or Louie`s pizza, plain table service like Confisco Grill and then the finer places like The Palm....whatever your budget there is some darn good food around....despite what the naysayers will pledge.

And for us The Palm is up there with the best.....

We have never, ever been disappointed in food or service...….it is fine dining but without the stuffiness associated at times with such places.

They recognise us straight away as we enter the little check in area and we are escorted to our booth which is now our usual apparently.....lol.....seems to happen in a few places...…

The lady who we usually have look after us Joyce, is on vacation......so we are lucky to have Jessica tonight who is actually dog sitting Joyce`s dogs...….she is lovely and we know we will be well looked after...….

We order a bottle of chardonnay we know we love, easy and maybe a little dull choice, but it`s what we feel like tonight......and that ordered we peruse the menu as she brings bread.....and our water waiter, who we always find to be very attentive here tops us up straight away...….

The bread is very nice......Kyle opts for a slice, and then another....not like him really but it is nice and he likes the butter!!!! I manage to abstain as Tom delves in and has his second slice too...….he likes bread!!!

i-6pWpNNm-XL.jpg

Our dinner choices were easy, Tom was having the bacon wrapped sea scallops with watermelon radish and jicama slaw, I opted for my favourite shrimp cocktail.....this comes with cocktail sauce and the nuclear horseradish sauce....they do warn you it is beyond hot, and I`ve only ever managed to taste the tiniest bit, even then my eyes watered almost immediately, they aren't joking when they say it`s nuclear hot …after I tried the tiniest smidge...…….

Kyle wasn't having an appetiser but did order the 9oz filet served medium and opted for the fries which we had been told were delicious......I went also for the 9oz filet but medium rare and Tom chose one of the specials that was the huge Chairman's Reserve Boneless Rib-Eye Steak, I think it was either 18 or 22oz and we would share the au gratin potatoes....the smaller size as it was just the two of us eating...…….

The shrimp are huge...…....

i-kWrHKcr-XL.jpg

And the scallops are divine.....they really don't need the bacon to be honest as they have so much taste on their own...…

i-qzbDbv8-XL.jpg

We were so looking forward to this meal!!!

i-7XfNbsd-XL.jpg

i-3fFdqnw-XL.jpg

The appetisers were beautiful.....and again I abstained from tasting the atomic horseradish....once was definitely enough with that one!!! And I like hot...….Tom point blank refused to even try it first time.....he trusted Joyce`s opinion that is was not a fun experience to eat it...…..I wonder if anyone does actually eat it, not just a tiny taste, but a full on taste...….brave person!!!

We waited an appropriate amount of time for our entrees...….we don't mind waiting a little longer as we can sit and chat and enjoy the restaurant...….we like the booths and the main area of the restaurant can be quite noisy at times......usually large groups who are naturally louder than couples at tables.....but everyone seems to be having a wonderful time.

The entrees arrived and Jennifer asked we check the steaks were cooked as we had asked...….mine was perfect, as was Kyle`s.....Tom agreed his was just right and it was, only it was slightly more rare than he had asked......may be an issue for some, but it was just right for this steak...…when we looked at Kyle`s too I would have said it was more medium rare but he loved every mouthful of it...….I always tell them medium rare is best!!!!

i-z8qJH8k-XL.jpg

i-txVNPLM-XL.jpg

Tom`s steak was huge in comparison to ours......so we did get a taste...….it was lovely I have to say and perfectly cooked...…...but I still prefer the filet as does Kyle.....ours were beautiful.....really beautiful and well worth every cent this meal would cost.

i-nT2dp4r-XL.jpg

The au gratin potatoes were as always lovely...….but Kyle`s fries were something else!!!! Oh my goodness how good were these fries.....and why had we never ordered them before. They were more like what we would call chips in the UK than fries and maybe triple fried.....gorgeous...…..we didn't eat much of the gratin potatoes after we saw and tasted the fries...….and this was the small portion....it was huge for us......but, there is a larger option to choose from. This would have happily covered the three of us easily...….

i-ChtdXFF-XL.jpg

We were full...….really full...…..or so we thought...…..we had no plans to have a dessert tonight, we would enjoy watching Kyle eat his...…..

After a brief break Kyle was ready to order his dessert......he had a choice of the seven layer chocolate cake or the flourless chocolate cake......decisions decisions...…..he finally opted for the flourless version......it is so rich and utterly decadent beyond anything I had ever seen...…

Tom and I decided to share a crème brulee…….why, I don't know...….

i-ScsFsQb-XL.jpg

I cannot find the picture we took of the crème brulee…….Tom says he can`t remember taking it as he had gone to the bathroom and I think assumed I had taken it...…..and full as we were....we couldn't stop eating this little taste of heaven...…..

Kyle loved every single piece of his.....and ate it so slowly as to savour almost every single morsel.....you can see the sheer delight on his face as he enjoyed his long awaited dessert from here...…..

After a brief period while we recovered from our opulence, we asked for the check and Tom duly paid it and thanked Jennifer for taking such good care of us...….she said she would tell Joyce we had been in and we would see her next time we visited...….

A quick bathroom visit and we were heading out.....we find getting an ODC from here the most difficult...we always have to wait an inordinate amount of time usually.....every time. And tonight is no different.....but, as we are about to say to just call us a cab one appears and we get in.

I am ready for bed...….it`s maybe only 10.45pm.....but I just felt tired and said I`d rather not go for a drink in the bar and go straight to bed...…..they both whole heartedly agreed...…..I always feel we are like fuddy duddies going to bed at 11pm on a Saturday night while we are in Orlando......we should be heading into Citywalk and plan to do some clubs...….

The reality is I`d rather have a cup of tea and go to bed.

So, we did. Well, we put the tv on watched something rather bland till we were all ready for bed.....eventually Kyle chased us and said we could watch the tv in our room if we weren't tired...…..so we did. We said goodnight and went through to our room...…...I looked out the window for a little while.....the pool looked beautiful and sparkly under the lights and what I could see of the park looked colourful. I loved this view and never tired of seeing it...…..

Tom was now asleep and I put the tv off and crept as quietly as I could into our huge bed...….and looked forward to another park day tomorrow……

It is weird....one of the TM told me what it was, but I forget the exact description...it made sense.

It`s not worth the dodgy head feel afterwards...….I`ll stick to Spiderman too...….:thumbsup2

Add me to the club. Can’t figure out what exactly triggers my nausea on the ride as I do love the franchise

Carole - no idea you had an aversion to spongebob, interesting. He’s quite big in my corner of the world, Patrick even moreso lol.

Nice to read you still were doing well as to crowds and the EP. I agree with Kyle, the best part of the F&F is lingering in the garage area for the eye candy.

Oh I didn't know TF affected you too!! I know you enjoy the movies though...…

lol......tend to keep it on the down low about SBSP...….it is a little odd. Or so I`m told.....weirdly by a friend who cannot and will not empty her Dyson as she hates the feel of the stuff she has to empty......lol...we all have our little oddities I suppose...…..::yes::

Yes, EP was fabulous.....it always is for us as we detest queuing up for anything!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter