HOA requires garage doors stay open all day

Yeah I think making people leave their garage doors open is crazy. Totally agree an inspection is more acceptable. I think given the alternative the homeowners in that neighborhood seem to be more willing to do that then just leave their doors open.
Both would get a hard no from me. Law Enforcement needs to go to a judge and get a warrant to come into my home there’s no way I’m letting a bunch of busybodies “inspect” my home because they voted on it. Keeping up the outside appearance of the neighborhood is one thing, come onto or into my property and we’re going to have a problem.

Both would get a hard no from me. Law Enforcement needs to go to a judge and get a warrant to come into my home there’s no way I’m letting a bunch of busybodies “inspect” my home because they voted on it. Keeping up the outside appearance of the neighborhood is one thing, come onto or into my property and we’re going to have a problem.
Agreed. I was saying it's more acceptable (as in given only the two choices) not that I would want it to actually occur.

Yeah I think making people leave their garage doors open is crazy. Totally agree an inspection is more acceptable. I think given the alternative the homeowners in that neighborhood seem to be more willing to do that then just leave their doors open.

Neither of these options would fly with me. We live in a lovely little town but lately there is a lot of theft occuring. Our PD constantly reminds folks to keep cars and doors locked, especially after dark. I woudl imagine they mean garage doors are included in their PSA. As far as an inspection of my garage, (well if I had a garage) what next? You want to inspect my basement? No.

I am not a candidate for an HOA, even though I probably fit into the group of folks who would seldom have any issues with the rules, because a vote like this one woudl put me right over the edge.

Neither of these options would fly with me. We live in a lovely little town but lately there is a lot of theft occuring. Our PD constantly reminds folks to keep cars and doors locked, especially after dark. I woudl imagine they mean garage doors are included in their PSA. As far as an inspection of my garage, (well if I had a garage) what next? You want to inspect my basement? No.

I am not a candidate for an HOA, even though I probably fit into the group of folks who would seldom have any issues with the rules, because a vote like this one woudl put me right over the edge.
Agreed that's why I clarified in this below comment what I meant:

Agreed. I was saying it's more acceptable (as in given only the two choices) not that I would want it to actually occur.

I'm sure the HOA (well anyone really) knows leaving the doors open all the time increases theft chances and I don't think you'll find anyone actually recommending it. But as I mentioned earlier the HOA is deciding that the risk of illegal tennents is more important than the risk of theft (that is though until the stopped their decision to make people leave the doors open for now that is as mention by another poster upthread). I had questioned early in the thread if the homeowners had the opportunity to speak and come up with a different solution as the one the HOA mandated to me was a rash decision to fix one problem that created in the grand scheme of things a much larger problem (theft, feelings of private property being inspected, etc).

She is a piece of work. Her DH was on the board at some point from what I understand so she seems to be under the mistaken impression she has some pull in what happens in the neighborhood. Before we had our current trash system (provided by the city and paid for by homeowners) you would flatten your cardboard boxes, tie them with a string and put them out for recycling. My DH did just that but for whatever reason recycling didn’t pick them up. She took a photo of the boxes on the sidewalk and sent it to the HOA. They were out less than 12 hours and you get 48 but she didn’t like it, lol.
Omg....just crazy!

Agreed that's why I clarified in this below comment what I meant:

I'm sure the HOA (well anyone really) knows leaving the doors open all the time increases theft chances and I don't think you'll find anyone actually recommending it. But as I mentioned earlier the HOA is deciding that the risk of illegal tennents is more important than the risk of theft (that is though until the stopped their decision to make people leave the doors open for now that is as mention by another poster upthread). I had questioned early in the thread if the homeowners had the opportunity to speak and come up with a different solution as the one the HOA mandated to me was a rash decision to fix one problem that created in the grand scheme of things a much larger problem (theft, feelings of private property being inspected, etc).
Who are these illegal tenants that everyone is so concerned about?

We have house color rules here too. We actually had to get our house color approved by the board (it's a grey with blue undertones but it looks a lot more blue). The darkest shade of any color isn't allowed because in our area the sun tends to fade it really bad thus it looks bad and needs to be repainted more often.

Anyways house colors matter quite a lot in terms of desirability. It can bring down values of homes. But on a simple level a prospective homebuyer usually doesn't want the task of repainting that bright yellow house for example; same as how the colors of the interior of a house can become a negative to a prospective homebuyer.

HOAs aren't for everyone but not all HOAs are the same not even close.
How do I find out what the requirements are in a perspective HOA? I am looking to move into an over 55 community and don't want to end up in an extremely ridiculous environment. I want peace before I die...LOL.

How do I find out what the requirements are in a perspective HOA? I am looking to move into an over 55 community and don't want to end up in an extremely ridiculous environment. I want peace before I die...LOL.
Ask the realtor you're working with. I'm sure they can get you a copy of the covenants.

They’re supposed to give you a copy of the covenants before you sign anything. Don’t just skim them, READ them, ALL OF THEM. It’s tedious and a pain in the butt but you need to know what you’re agreeing to.

They’re supposed to give you a copy of the covenants before you sign anything. Don’t just skim them, READ them, ALL OF THEM. It’s tedious and a pain in the butt but you need to know what you’re agreeing to.
Exactly. Although the reality is, some are unenforceable. My subdivision has very very very few CCRs and no HOA to enforce them. But it IS a violation to work at home according to them. So much for telecommuting! Guy across the street made violin and other string instrument bows in his bedroom for 30 years, no customers there, he shipped everything. Nothing said. Former next door neighbor ran is "small" business accounting firm from his extra bedroom. Again, no customers there. The current owners of the home did ask me why there were 10 landline circuits into their house.

From the several articles I was reading about this particular HOA in the OP a homeowner was discussing their displeasure in having to have their garage door open during the day but stated he understood it was because with a different homeowner in the neighborhood had people living in their garage illegally. The HOA in the article decided to combat that was to force all the homeowners to have their doors open during the day.

Agree with other comments. I would speak with your realtor.

In my case the developer of the neighborhood had a specific in-house (meaning they had an office inside one of the model homes) real estate company that they used. We obtained the documents from them prior to reserving the lot we wanted to build our house on. And again at closing (which was just over 7 months after we signed the contract to build the home) we were given documents.

Exactly. Although the reality is, some are unenforceable. My subdivision has very very very few CCRs and no HOA to enforce them. But it IS a violation to work at home according to them. So much for telecommuting! Guy across the street made violin and other string instrument bows in his bedroom for 30 years, no customers there, he shipped everything. Nothing said. Former next door neighbor ran is "small" business accounting firm from his extra bedroom. Again, no customers there. The current owners of the home did ask me why there were 10 landline circuits into their house.
I just didn’t want to get caught out with something stupid like, “Plant A must be exactly 1.3 inches shorter than Plant B unless Plant C is exactly 2 inches taller than Plant A and every other leaf is yellow but no amber.”

She is a piece of work. Her DH was on the board at some point from what I understand so she seems to be under the mistaken impression she has some pull in what happens in the neighborhood. Before we had our current trash system (provided by the city and paid for by homeowners) you would flatten your cardboard boxes, tie them with a string and put them out for recycling. My DH did just that but for whatever reason recycling didn’t pick them up. She took a photo of the boxes on the sidewalk and sent it to the HOA. They were out less than 12 hours and you get 48 but she didn’t like it, lol.

She needs the D pelter turbo.

Ok I am outing myself. I used to live in this town. I used to live in this condo complex. This is considered the "bad side of town". Auburn is a really nice place, but this is more lower income. There is a HUGE homeless encampment across the street or HWY 49. We had a chair stolen while were moving in. We left it in the carport because we had no room in our condo with the boxes. The next morning it was gone. The Greens has some very nice generous people who live there. Seeing the same homeless people day after day, you can easily get to know them. I can easily see someone letting someone live in their garage. There is also a huge immigrant Mexican population. They might have let a family or friend live in their garage. All my neighbors were very nice. Aside from the chair incident I never had any problems. I know further in there is more of a drug problem closer to the park. A lot of the condos have been bought up and used as rentals, so I can see how a rental company might want to pressure the HOA into doing something that might hurt their value and possible chance at rental income. When I lived there I never saw the HOA do anything except announce when there was some road work being done. We lived there for a little less than 18 months.

Unbelievable....why couldn't someone work from their home, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! As long as there are no customers coming to the home, why would it matter?

Ok I am outing myself. I used to live in this town. I used to live in this condo complex. This is considered the "bad side of town". Auburn is a really nice place, but this is more lower income. There is a HUGE homeless encampment across the street or HWY 49. We had a chair stolen while were moving in. We left it in the carport because we had no room in our condo with the boxes. The next morning it was gone. The Greens has some very nice generous people who live there. Seeing the same homeless people day after day, you can easily get to know them. I can easily see someone letting someone live in their garage. There is also a huge immigrant Mexican population. They might have let a family or friend live in their garage. All my neighbors were very nice. Aside from the chair incident I never had any problems. I know further in there is more of a drug problem closer to the park. A lot of the condos have been bought up and used as rentals, so I can see how a rental company might want to pressure the HOA into doing something that might hurt their value and possible chance at rental income. When I lived there I never saw the HOA do anything except announce when there was some road work being done. We lived there for a little less than 18 months.
What state do you live in?

Unbelievable....why couldn't someone work from their home, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! As long as there are no customers coming to the home, why would it matter?
Not at all unbelievable. In some areas it isn't a local CCR, it is a City Ordinance. They won't issue you a business license if your location is in an area zoned as a residential area. They want residential areas to be just that. But, practically speaking, it is ignored in this telecommuting age.
The unbelievable ones are the race based ones. A co-worker and his wife bought a house built in 1916 and they had to sign a form acknowledging they understood the CCRs prohibited people of his wife's race from living there unless they were employed by the household as a servant. It is clearly illegal, but has been on the books for 100 years. Due to the difficulty in changing CCRs, and the very high cost of doing so, it remains on the books, but is entirely ignored.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter