HoH Help Please

Sasha917

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

I am new around here and I need a little help. I am hoping this is the place to find it.

My aunt and uncle will be taking a trip to Disney this September, and because my college bound cousin can't go, I have been invited to join them.

The trouble is that I am hard of hearing and have only recently (in the past year) begun to learn sign language. I find sign language to be preferable to lip-reading.

I haven't been to Disney before so I am not really sure what they offer for services, but a friend of mine has told me they do have interpreting. If someone could fill me in on what they offer I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks alot,
Sasha

Welcome to disABILITIES.:wave:
There are people who who post on this board who have just the information you are looking for.
I'll start you out until one of them answers.
First, WDW has a variety of things that would be helpful to you. Some attractions are signed, some have reflective captioning (The text of the show is projected in red lettering from behind you. It reflects onto a plexiglass screen so you can look thru the screen to see the attraction and still read the text). There is also closed captioning for some shows and there are handheld captioners for other shows. Some people are able to use the assisted listening devices available at other shows.
Then, if you go to the official Disney site , you can find more information.

Yes interpreting is available. I sent you an email with the name of the contact person and his email. The interpreters are excellent. Also available is reflective captioning, closed captioning, a handheld PDA that scrolls the scripts of rides, written text, and assistive listening devices. Reflective captioning you request as you enter the show. Closed captioning and the handheld PDAs are obtained at Guest Services in the park and require a deposit that is fully refundable when you return the device on the same day to Guest Services at that park. CC deposit is $25 and the handheld is $100. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
I am HOH myself and also use sign language. I am an interpreter as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter