Hojo or Candy Cane Inn

Sjwillia

Mouseketeer
I am trying to decide which would be best for our family of 4 adults and 2 teens. Has anyone stayed at both? I plan to get connecting double queen rooms. I think the Hojo splash area is too young for the teens but how do the swimming pools compare - size, shade, lounge chairs? On the map the walk to the park looks to be about the same distance? Any other advantage of one over the other? Any help making the choice is appreciated.

Hojo is my go-to place. The pros for me are that it's a hotel rather than a motel. I prefer interior corridors. The rooms are also more spacious, and the beds are definitely more comfortable for me. In my experience, the rooms have been very clean, and the staff is great. If anything has been amiss, the response has always been prompt, professional, and helpful. My family and I have stayed at Hojo dozens of times over the years.

I agree that the water play area will not interest your teens. The pool is larger at Hojo than Candy Cane and more interior to the grounds, so less of that motel parking lot swimming pool feel. We aren't pool people so haven't visited the pool in a couple years. It was very busy when I was there in July and had a room overlooking. I did see quite a number of lounge chairs, and there was definitely significant shade at some times of the day. There is no lifeguard. The Candy Cane pool is smaller and closer to the parking lot but well kept. There are chairs and loungers located near the pool. I remember greenery also in the form of potted plants perhaps. I'm not sure about shade.

Both Hojo and Candy Cane offer free parking, and the walk is similar distance. The Candy Cane walk is a smidge better in that you don't have to cross Harbor which is something that matters to some people but not a factor of concern for me. The Candy Cane also has a free shuttle that runs regularly through the day, so if mobility is an issue for anyone in your party or the idea of the repeated walks is too daunting, that can be an advantage. I personally prefer walking and often walked even when we stayed at the Candy Cane.

Candy Cane rates include a continental breakfast, and my memories are that it is one of the best motel continental breakfasts I have experienced. It has been many years since I have stayed at Candy Cane, but more recent comments from others on the boards seem to support these recollections. For six people, included breakfast might be important depending on habits and budget. We almost always drive to Disney, so we just pack some breakfast foods that will help get us out the door in the mornings and eat in the parks and downtown Disney the rest of the day. Hojo does not serve breakfast.

I think you can have positive experiences at both places. The choice really comes down to knowing which factors are more important to your family. I choose Hojo almost every time over other available options including Candy Cane because Hojo is where I have had the most positive experiences overall and where I am most comfortable.

Candy Cane. We love the premium rooms. Nice welcome gift, free parking, very good breakfast (premium gets breakfast delivered to the room), shuttle to the park or back as needed, premium room check out is 2pm.

I’d do neither. Homewood suites includes dinner Monday through Thursday. Breakfast every day. Is new, separate beds for everyone in the bunk room

Easy for teens and adults to walk and take the free toy story shuttle.

Candy Cane. We do two connecting Premium Rooms. That configuration works as a suite for us. Plenty of room, two bathrooms (very helpful!), small refrigerator and small microwave in each room, generous continental breakfast delivered on time each morning (very convenient and helpful when everyone is trying to get ready for the parks in the morning! -- and the teens are welcome to go to the breakfast room for more food, if needed), various discounts offered (call to see if you qualify for something), very clean rooms and great customer service, private shuttle runs on time, etc. (If walking at a casual pace, estimate about 10-15 minutes to bag check.) Pool area is small, but nice and clean. Nicely landscaped. We always enjoy our stays there.

Last edited:
I stayed at hojo in 2005, candy cane 2016, & homewood 2017. I was happy with all 3. I like CC best myself, for the option of walking or shuttle and the breakfast was sufficient for me. Also beds were great, fridge was cold but rooms are small. DH prefers homewood for spacious suites, full breakfast, & some dinners. We used the toy story shuttle and saved quite a bit of $$ by eating at hotel. All 3 of these were sparkling clean. It's been a long time since I stayed at hojo but I remember staff scrubbing pool chairs daily. At CC staff mopped the sidewalk. The homewood does have a full size fridge & cooktop.

I’d do neither. Homewood suites includes dinner Monday through Thursday. Breakfast every day. Is new, separate beds for everyone in the bunk room

Easy for teens and adults to walk and take the free toy story shuttle.
While I do like Homewood Suites, the walk is much further. And we would rarely make it back in time for the evening meal. The prices for the 3 are about the same.

To the OP, the pools at both Hojos and Candy Cane are nice. Not a lot of difference. The regular pool at Hojos is towards the back of the hotel by I believe building 2.

I've never stayed at the Candy Cane Inn. We stay at the Hojo often. Their main pool is big compared to many in the area. It does not face the parking lot so thats nice IMO. Its btwn building 2 and their 2 story buildings. Not the best pic but it might help.

Attachments

• hojo  pool.jpeg
    hojo pool.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 24
  • hojo pool 1.jpg
    hojo pool 1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 22
Thank you all for the great information. Everyone was very helpful. I decided on 2 premium connected rooms at Candy Cane Inn. Here was my thought process on this. The major difference of concern is pool size – Hojo’s is larger. However, Hojo is also a bigger hotel so the bigger pool could be just as crowded. Also the spa at Hojo is next to the splash pad rather than the pool. That is great for parents watching young kids. However, I would like to soak my aching feet in a hot tub while the teens are in the bigger pool. They would to use the spa between dips in the pool too. It will be nice to have a close early breakfast and fresh COFFEE early. If we do take a break in the middle of a hot day it might be nice to catch an air conditioned bus back to the hotel for a break even if the walk is just a .6 mile. Hojo rooms have a more modern décor and inner corridors which I would definitely prefer. But the most important thing is both are reported clean so I can live with flowered bedspreads, an old fashioned décor and exterior corridors for the early coffee and hot tub use. However, I think the main amenity that made Candy Cane my choice is, with the premium room, we get 2:00 check out. This is really helpful to us.

Thank you all for the great information. Everyone was very helpful. I decided on 2 premium connected rooms at Candy Cane Inn. Here was my thought process on this. The major difference of concern is pool size – Hojo’s is larger. However, Hojo is also a bigger hotel so the bigger pool could be just as crowded. Also the spa at Hojo is next to the splash pad rather than the pool. That is great for parents watching young kids. However, I would like to soak my aching feet in a hot tub while the teens are in the bigger pool. They would to use the spa between dips in the pool too. It will be nice to have a close early breakfast and fresh COFFEE early. If we do take a break in the middle of a hot day it might be nice to catch an air conditioned bus back to the hotel for a break even if the walk is just a .6 mile. Hojo rooms have a more modern décor and inner corridors which I would definitely prefer. But the most important thing is both are reported clean so I can live with flowered bedspreads, an old fashioned décor and exterior corridors for the early coffee and hot tub use. However, I think the main amenity that made Candy Cane my choice is, with the premium room, we get 2:00 check out. This is really helpful to us.
You can also check out DVDs for the room. Premium rooms have DVD players. And we usually order extra muffins and milk for the fridge for afternoon/evening snacks. I love ordering breakfast to arrive early (615-630) so we can wake slowly. Starts getting us moving. And I believe the bedspreads are gone. Floors are now "wood" and no longer carpet.

Both properties seem to be favorites on this board so I really don't think you can go wrong with either! Enjoy your trip!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!