• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HoJo's - don't stay in building 1

lillady718

Earning My Ears
We just returned from our trip- and stayed four nights at Howard Johnson.
We got into our room, of course the air was off(was 78degrees upon entering the room)- we turned it down to 60degrees, and went on to supper, etc.

Well we came back and opened the door, and of course didn't get that "rush'" of nice cool air when you come in somewhere that is nicely air conditioned...

So we look at the thermostat, and it still says 78degrees. Now the air conditioner is not a unit in the room, but a central air system, coming through the vent above. It is blowing out air--but just ' air' , almost like the freon is gone.

We call the front desk, they say they'll send maintenance- and do
But the guy comes in- goes straight to the vent- makes sure its' slats are open, then peeks up into the ceiling (through a tile)
He doesn't speak the clearest english by far- but we manages to express to us that it is working.
I said, "I know the unit is blowing- but it is NOT working- this should be cold coming out- not just 'cool'" "And the temperature in this room hasn't went down any- and actually went up a degree since we took our showers"

He just kinda stood there stammering around- so we go to the front desk and she talks to the maintenance guy, and he tells her "It's working"
So she acts like we're stupid, but agrees to move us to a different building- her name was "Joanne" I believe- I wrote it down on my receipt will have to verify later-
Well she says she has two queen beds in blding 2 (which I was scared would be bad from what I read here about freeway noise) Or she says she has two double beds in another building.
Well I was greatly disappointed to lose our "Fireworks View" room, but we gathered all our stuff, and went on to building two. We had an individual air unit, and was nice and cold and worked fine.

Once I thought back, of the gameroom we had let our son play in while waiting to check in, and looking around the little shop (both in Bldg 1) it was EXTREMELY stuffy- stuffy like our room had felt- all locations which are obviously running on a central air unit which needs some attention.

Sorry you had a bad time with the A/C. We stayed in Bldg. 1 two times, the most recent in June, and ours was fine and I like it COLD! The only time we had a problem was in a skylight room on the 7th floor, were you in one of those? That was the only time that it just wouldn't seem to cool down. Glad to hear you had a better experience after your move!

Andrea

I am so sorry to hear that you had a bad time and lost your firework view because of an A/C issue and then they didn't fix it properly.

Hojo's is my fourth favorite Disneyland area hotel next to the three Disney run ones. I've never had a problem with traffic noise in building 2, ever. The rooms face away from the freeway and all A/C units work best in that building.

On building one, I avoid rooms on the freeway side, although twice I've stayed on that side and after a while, the noise surprisingly became white noise and I slept well.

Please, why don't you write to William Simpson at Hojo's of Anaheim and let him know what happened. He's a straight-arrow manager and he likes hearing from guests good or bad.

Also, if anyone has the chance, try to see the Fireworks from the Hojo's Jacuzzi (near Speedy's Sprayground). You don't get the music, but if you are beat after a day on your feet, it's awesome to relax and bubble-massage your feet and get a great view of the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter