holding a table

It's a societal norm.

If there aren't enough tables at a given time, somebody and their small child are going to have to wait. As long as each is a paying customer, there's nothing unfair about it.

Just because it is a societal norm does not make it polite.

I understand the frustration when there's no table available. It's happened to all of us. I just don't think its realistic to ask the mom with the 2 and 5 year old to stand against the wall for 10 minutes instead of getting a highchair and getting the kids settled in at a table while dad gets the food.

I dont' see how this matters. The kids are going to be standing much longer than 10 mintues in lines during the day, so who cares about a small wait at a restaurant? Although, I'd never argue about someone holding a table only 10 minutes since I couldn't sit down, eat and clear the table in that amount of time anyhow.

Now, I've travelled at only two times of the year, August and September. In September we've had minimal table waits. If the place isn't busy and you want to save a table, that's fine by me! It's just me and DBF travelling right now, so we don't really get to reserve tables because we usually need both of us to carry the food!

If it's really busy and there's a 30 minute wait to get food, then you should wait until your family is closer to the front of the line to reserve a table, and here's my reasoning: It takes me and DBF about 15 minutes or so to eat once we get our food.. not too long. If your family just gets into the back of the line and decides to hold a table for 30 minutes, well, that's a table that we could have sat at, eaten at and cleared before the rest of your family came by with the food. If you're only going to be at a table for 5-10 minutes before your food gets there I have no problem.

True, but just because a societal norm doesn't benefit a given individual, that doesn't make it rude either.

Princess Stitch said:
If you're only going to be at a table for 5-10 minutes before your food gets there I have no problem.

2 problems with that:

1- That's just your standard. Who is to decide the acceptable length of time for everybody?

2- How exactly does one know how long it will be before you are going to get your food? Now you're asking people to figure that out and try to time it to meet the standard you set.

Really, this is much ado over nothing. Paying customers have the right to sit at a table. Its not rude, and you are never going to convice the vast majority of people that they should stand against a wall and stare at an open table.

We were at Pinocchio's Village Haus in Magic Kingdom in April....we had 4 adults and my daughter who is one. We had a corner booth that probably could have fit one more person......but it was the only table avaliable when we ate. My mother and I got finished eating and went to some gift shops while DH and my dad waited with DD1 to finish eating. She is just learning to eat and it takes her awhile.....a long while.......she plays then she eats, then she plays.....but nothing unusually drastic maybe about 10-15 minutes longer than us. Well after we left my dad and DH were approached and told by several other customers that if they were finished eating they needed to leave. Everyone who was looking for a table was very rude to them, they could not get up and move to a smaller table because by the time a family cleared a smaller table someone else had already sat down. One guy even almost started an altercation with my DH, cursing, and being beligerent.....they finally left....but I felt like my dd has the right to eat also...... Now I am all for reserving seats if you want, I have done it myself......but if you do just be respectful to those still eating.......watching them is understandable......but deciding when they are done eating is another story

True, but just because a societal norm doesn't benefit a given individual, that doesn't make it rude either.

2 problems with that:

1- That's just your standard. Who is to decide the acceptable length of time for everybody?

2- How exactly does one know how long it will be before you are going to get your food? Now you're asking people to figure that out and try to time it to meet the standard you set.

Really, this is much ado over nothing. Paying customers have the right to sit at a table. Its not rude, and you are never going to convice the vast majority of people that they should stand against a wall and stare at an open table.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to tell people what to do. Everyone has to do what they feel is right and what is acceptable for their family. Someone may have medical problems and need to sit down, or sensory issues with waiting in line.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.. just giving my opinion since this is a discussion board :goodvibes no need to get nasty and tell me i'm trying to set standards or anything. I understand that some people have to do it. Some people also choose to bring in outside food and sit at a table in a restaurant and take up a table when they haven't actually bought anything there. Everyone has their own standards and own reasons why they do things. I'm just giving my opinion.

If this is such a huge issue for you why don't you make ADRs for lunch? That's what we do and it usually isn't any more costly for us than counter service. In MK a sandwich at the Plaza is enough for two adults. In Epcot we usually use Chefs de France, it's cool and peaceful and not expensive if you order wisely. We tend to splurge and use Brown Derby in MGM. I've found having a peaceful meal in a TS place is really restful and charges our batteries for the rest of the day and there is no stress about finding a table.

If this is such a huge issue for you why don't you make ADRs for lunch? That's what we do and it usually isn't any more costly for us than counter service. In MK a sandwich at the Plaza is enough for two adults. In Epcot we usually use Chefs de France, it's cool and peaceful and not expensive if you order wisely. We tend to splurge and use Brown Derby in MGM. I've found having a peaceful meal in a TS place is really restful and charges our batteries for the rest of the day and there is no stress about finding a table.

If it was such a huge issue I would but it isn't, just because I wish to contribute to a discussion why do you have to think it is a huge issue?:confused3

I prefer, actually, a TS dinner not lunch.

In our recent podcast, we were asked to discuss threads from the DIS that we thought were interesting. This one caught my eye and bcame part of the show.

I do not believe that there is a right or wrong answer to this debate. I think it all depends on what side you find yourself on. I have been in the position of having to get a table when traveling with someone in a wheelchair. There are not many tables in any location that are "accessible", and carrying trays of food and pushing a chair is difficult at best. I have also found myself in the position of walking through a restaurant with my food and drinks looking for a place to sit.

I find that I am often able find a table that is bigger than what I need and try to make sure that when that happens, that I offer the extra seats to those wandering around.

I think some good old fashioned manners and some basic kindness would make this less of an annoyance.

Kevin

If I was in your place and I saw an empty table next to a large family (and they looked nice) I would probably explain to them that you can't leave your daughter alone and ask if one of them would mind sitting at the empty table for a few minutes until you can come back with your food. I would do this in a heartbeat if someone asked me to.

I think I would be reluctant to leave my child in the care of strangers even if "they looked nice". I know we're at Disney and all but "nice looking" people do bad things every day, everywhere. Please be careful.

I do not think the poster was suggesting leaving your child with a stranger, but rather having a stranger sit at a empty table close by while you and your child got your food.

I do not think the poster was suggesting leaving your child with a stranger, but rather having a stranger sit at a empty table close by while you and your child got your food.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought the OP meant leave your child at the table with the stranger while you go get food, which concerned me:o . I apologize.

I read it, and thought the same thing......I was like this is crazy.....then I had to think about it for a minute, and figured it out.......I saw that the other poster thought the same thing I did......and I was like.....I am going to post a clarification, so others do not think this is common practice just because it is disney world. You never know someone out there may not think it is as crazy as we do~

I read it, and thought the same thing......I was like this is crazy.....then I had to think about it for a minute, and figured it out.......I saw that the other poster thought the same thing I did......and I was like.....I am going to post a clarification, so others do not think this is common practice just because it is disney world. You never know someone out there may not think it is as crazy as we do~

Oops -- lost in translation!!! My suggestion was to have someone at the other table just scoot over and hold the empty table for a few minutes while the mom/daughter got their food. FWIW...my kids are both in middle school and I still don't leave them alone at a table!

I think I'll edit my original post. :thumbsup2

If it was such a huge issue I would but it isn't, just because I wish to contribute to a discussion why do you have to think it is a huge issue?:confused3

I prefer, actually, a TS dinner not lunch.

Sorry, you seemed upset about it. We found the table issue to be a problem for us so we do dinner and lunch at TS. We never used to but after paying quite a bit for not very good food and having to stalk a table we gave up on CS most of the time and now do ADRs for lunch and dinner. I just thought it'd be an option for you. Only trying to help.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.. just giving my opinion since this is a discussion board :goodvibes no need to get nasty and tell me i'm trying to set standards or anything.

Truly sorry. I'm comfortable with a more direct writing style and did not mean it to come across as nasty. Like you, just expressing my opinion based on what I see and do.

Maybe it would help if I shared how I look at it when I'm on the other side, like when I'm going to lunch by myself, or have the kids by myself, and don't have the ability to grab a table before getting my food.

I can say in all honesty that it never even occured to me that the group who did grab a table when I couldn't was in anyway being rude to me. Its like when you leave somewhere and one person gets the car and the other the coats. Or at WDW, sending one person to go get the FPs for the group. Or being in line at the grocery store and realizing you forgot something so you go get it while your spouse stays in line. If I'm by myself or just with the kids, I can't do these things, but I don't see it as being rude when somebody else does. Its just a convenience they are in a position to take advantage of while I'm not.

To me, its more rude of me to expect them to leave a table open and try to keep their hungry kids occupied against the wall so that I can have that table in 5 or 10 minutes when I get my food.

Again, this is just how I look at it, but I'd feel like I was expecting the world to revolve around me if I expected others to do that for my benefit. Just to be clear, I'm not saying that anyone who disagrees is championing the "me first" attitude. Like I said, its just how I would feel myself.

Kevin, I wouldn't worry too much about the debate being a little rough on this thread. This is a new board with people posting who aren't familiar with each other, so things will probably get taken the wrong way until things get more, well, familar.

Your comments did remind me though that there are always exceptions to the rule. Similar to getting a seat on the bus. Being first on the bus may give you the right to a seat, but that doesn't mean giving up the seat to someone in greater need isn't the right thing to do.

In this case, we may have the right to grab a table as soon as we walk in, but if we see somebody in a tougher situation it doesn't hurt to help them out.

While I do find holding the table thing rude it is not that huge of a thing. In grand scheme of things it is really not that important. As the moment when I am carrying a tray full of food, trying to manage a small child, and trying to find a table - that is when I get irked.

DD and I prefer to do TS for dinner so we try to eat at off times to avoid this. We also often will share our table with others since it is only the two of us.

It seems to me this debate creates a lot of misdirected anger. Maybe the CS restaurants who have inadequate seating for the volume they service should be hearing about it.
Everyone who is in the restaurant is entitled to a seat, for as long as they need it to eat their meal. Is it really up to the patrons to fight for a place to sit and eat?
Yes manners are a wonderful thing, but the restaurant shouldn't depend on the kindness of it's customers, since eating is such a cultural and individual situation.

I wanted to put my two cents in here..

DBF and I do this ALL the time. And not just at Disney either, any place that is crowded, I always go and find a table and DBF goes and gets the food. Once when we were at AK, I had gone to grab a table and DBF went to get food. I happen to find a table for 4, but I sat at it anyway, since it was the only table available. Halfway through our meal, I saw a family of 3 looking for a table. I motioned them over and told them if they could find another chair they could share our table with us. In addition, I gave the little boy the toy I had gotten from my kids meal (yes I got a kids meal, I wasn't very hungry...and I am sure this is a whole other controversial thread in and of itself about adults buying kids meals..)

Now, the situation where you have a single parent and a child, I would certainly understand their point of view where they are walking around with a tray of food and a hungry child looking for a table.

I guess there really is no right or wrong here, and either way has its plusses and miuses. What is important is that we all respect one and another and help eachother out every now and then. If you have room at your table, offer it to share with another family. Can't we all just get along??? :hippie:

Truly sorry. I'm comfortable with a more direct writing style and did not mean it to come across as nasty. Like you, just expressing my opinion based on what I see and do.

Oh it's not a problem at all. I'm not even upset, I just more wanted to clarify things.... I don't want to sound like I'm telling people to do, it's just hard to get your opinion in here sometimes without coming off like you're trying to preach to people I guess! Still learing the delicacies of the Dis :thumbsup2

I can understand how my first post might have sounded a little bad, just wanted to make sure you know it wasn't what I meant. I also have a feeling alot of my opinions will change if I have kids one day. I'm sure I have a whole different perspective on alot of things then moms and dads do!

Thanks for being so understanding though, I'm so happy that there's so many nice people here :goodvibes

Sometimes I will go and get a table and send DH to get the food and sometimes we both go get food then a table. It all depends on how crowded it is. If its really crowded then I'll go and grab a table and wait for DH to come back with food. I see no problems people getting tables and waiting for someone to return with food. Now I do see a problem people coming in to sit down and relax and not order anything. If your that tired, go back to the resort or go sit on a bench somewhere. If that your hot, there are stores with AC you know and not to mention 3/4 of the rides ARE indoors. One way Disney could fix this problem is to have a rope line from the entrance door all the way to the register, that way people cant just walkin and grab a table and not order anything. Have an exit door where you can only open the door from inside the restraunt. For people wanting to grab a table and another person grab food, have a CM stand at the beginning of the line, tell them they are getting food and ur grabbing a table and they can let you through the rope line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter