Holding crutch on EVC?

ktate82

DIS Veteran
I've had a hip surgery, and while I'm getting around decently, I know I can't walk the parks. MIL has an EVC that I will be borrowing for the trip (we are driving down), but I'm not sure what to do with my crutch. I have two, but I'm getting around decently with one, so only bringing one. I have tried using a cane, but I don't feel as secure as I do with the crutch.

I have looked at different holders for a crutch, but it doesn't seem like any will work with the EVC. It's is a pride mobility celebrity x, so there isn't a good spot across the back to put a holder (or make one with PVC). My crutch is about 5ft tall, and I'm nervous about it wobbling back and forth. The best solution DH and I have found is it fits perfectly under the seat and onto the foot rest. It sticks out in the front about 3 inches. Would that be a problem? Any other solutions? It does fold in half, but it's not the easiest to fold down. We also thought maybe a deep backpack on the back could hold it if it was folded. We will be there for two weeks, first off site, and the second on site.

If you rent from Gold Mobility, they offer a crutch/cane holder as one if the optional free accessories you can choose from. Perhaps if you call them they would be willing to rent the accessory to you or at least tell you where to get one?

Alternatively you could just rent an ECV from them, they are very reasonable priced, but then you wouldn't have it st the airport, etc.

I would hang a backpack off the back of the seat. And fold down the crutch and tuck it inside. Even if it sticks out some.
I would be afraid to place it under the seat, sticking out the front a little. If it got knocked off somehow, somebody could trip on it.

If you rent from Gold Mobility, they offer a crutch/cane holder as one if the optional free accessories you can choose from. Perhaps if you call them they would be willing to rent the accessory to you or at least tell you where to get one?

Alternatively you could just rent an ECV from them, they are very reasonable priced, but then you wouldn't have it st the airport, etc.

We are driving down so no need for the airport. I didn’t want to spend $250 to rent one when we have one free to use. I will contact them though to see what type they have. Thanks for the idea!

We are driving down so no need for the airport. I didn’t want to spend $250 to rent one when we have one free to use. I will contact them though to see what type they have. Thanks for the idea!
Just one thing to keep in mind, if your ECV breaks down while at the parks, you will have to get it to the front of the park and back to the room/car. If you rent from someone like Gold Mobility, they will come to you anywhere within the park if something does go wrong.

Personally, even if I did have a personal ECV, I would still speed the $250 for that peace of mind alone, as neither my wife nor I could physically push it out of the park. Given the cost of going to Disney World, it seems a small price to pay for the peace of mind to me. But everyone has to make their own decisions on what is best for them.

That being said, if you are going to use your own, I am quite confident Gold Mobility will do everything they can to help you out, they are very nice and do everything they can to not rip people off, but instead find the right solution for that person's needs.

Bungee cord.
Or place it between your knees, upright, with the bottom on the floor close to the seat and the upper part leaning against the tiller.
Or have someone else carry it.
Or this https://www.amazon.com/Diestco-Scoo...r+for+scooter&qid=1557107597&s=gateway&sr=8-5 or possibly this https://www.amazon.com/CRUTCH-HOLDE...r+for+scooter&qid=1557107597&s=gateway&sr=8-3
That being said, if you are going to use your own, I am quite confident Gold Mobility will do everything they can to help you out, they are very nice and do everything they can to not rip people off, but instead find the right solution for that person's needs.
While aware of the preference against Buena Vista Scooters, they are literally onsite and open until 11 PM daily, and do repairs - so might be a better phone number to have.

Bungee cord.
Or place it between your knees, upright, with the bottom on the floor close to the seat and the upper part leaning against the tiller.
Or have someone else carry it.
Or this https://www.amazon.com/Diestco-Scoo...r+for+scooter&qid=1557107597&s=gateway&sr=8-5 or possibly this https://www.amazon.com/CRUTCH-HOLDE...r+for+scooter&qid=1557107597&s=gateway&sr=8-3

While aware of the preference against Buena Vista Scooters, they are literally onsite and open until 11 PM daily, and do repairs - so might be a better phone number to have.
I wasn't referring to repairs, I was referring to a company that would help meet the OPs needs on trying to get something to hold crutches.

Gold Mobility doesn't handle repairs (last I checked), but if you rent from them, they show up, usually within 30 minutes if you do have a breakdown. Buena Vista takes days to get to you in my experience, their customer service is just very bad. Also, Gold Mobility helps people no matter if you re t from them or not, for example Buena Vista would most likely tell the OP they can't help him find an appropriate solution since they are renting from them (again, based on past experience), Gold Mobility will do all that they can.

I wasn't referring to repairs, I was referring to a company that would help meet the OPs needs on trying to get something to hold crutches
I was referencing this
Personally, even if I did have a personal ECV, I would still speed the $250 for that peace of mind alone, as neither my wife nor I could physically push it out of the park.
statement.

I was referencing this statement.
Well that one, I would definitely recommend Gold Mobility over Buena Vista, much more peace of mind knowing that the equipment is newer and that they get to you faster than Buena Vista, seriously BV took a long time (more than a day) to replace the equipment.

Also, BV just has a small storefront on property, with a large warehouse off-site.

I just can't in good recommend Buena Vista given the issues, add in the high price and they are not a great choice compared to Gold Mobility. I mean $250 vs around $900 for the same length of stay with similar (not identical as BV doesn't offer all the features GM does) features. Counting all of that, it is a no brainier.

I would not count on timely repair of your own equipment with BV based on what I have read on these and other forums.

I do stand by the comment that I would spend the $250 for the peace of mind knowing that if I have a problem, they will come to me in about 30 minutes with a replacement unit if I rent from GM. Even if BV did have that same level of service, I wouldn't spend $900 with them if I had personal equipment to use, but $250 is a no brainier.

Can you tell I had a REALLY bad experience with BV? And I have heard many others that have as well, I also saw how beat up their ECVs looked on this past trip. And that we had an AMAZING experience with GM on this last trip? Seriously, I can't talk them up enough, seriously they are incredible and the battery lasts all day from park opening to close without even dropping a bar or dot or whatever you want to call the indicator. I have never had an ECV from any other provider that could do that. BVs on the other hand only.lasted part way through the day before dying on the first one we had from them and as I said to get a replacement took quite some time (more than a day). Hopefully that helps explain why I said I would rent an ECV from GM anyway for the peace of mind and I don't have to worry if the ECV breaks down in the park. I wouldn't want to have to spend the time getting it repaired if it did (even if BV has somehow managed to fix their customer service since we used them), I would much rather have a replacement in a short amount of time.

I just can't in good recommend Buena Vista given the issues, add in the high price and they are not a great choice compared to Gold Mobility.
Again, I am talking about the potential need for repairs as implied by, "Neither...can push...". Buena Vista does repairs. The OP has apparently zero interest in renting equipment which they have already arranged to borrow.
would not count on timely repair of your own equipment
I would not count on expect equipment I borrow from a relative to break down.

Again, I am talking about the potential need for repairs as implied by, "Neither...can push...". Buena Vista does repairs. The OP has apparently zero interest in renting equipment which they have already arranged to borrow.

We actually bought the EVC for MIL after a few trips of renting them for her. It was “used”, but it sat in a garage the majority of its life as it was large for home use. The batteries were replaced before we bought it. We store it at our home as we have the room and she only uses it when with us due to not needing it day to day. I feel fairly confident it will be fine (knock on wood),

I have a hard time justifying to myself spending the money on a rental when I have one in my home. I should have also said my crutch isn’t a regular one, but a different design. I attached a picture

Attachments

• 2BF0EEF4-D9E4-422A-A426-A8F7EEAD8115.png
    2BF0EEF4-D9E4-422A-A426-A8F7EEAD8115.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 15

I wouldn't expect it to either, but it can happen, anything from a flat tire (depending on if they are air filled or not) to mechanical failure. Even if BV arrived quickly, it still would take a couple of hours to repair, during which they would be stuck without an ECV unless BV was kind and loaned them one, which I doubt based on past experience.

I was simply pointing out why I would reconsider renting, they may or may not agree, but if no one points out the potential issue, they may not consider it.

And you would still need to get the ECV to to the front of the park at bare minimum for repairs.l, even with BV. There are other threads on these boards that talk about that with people with their personal equipment. If the OP is ok with being able to do that, then that is their decision, but I am a big believer in you have to have all of the information to make an informed decision.

Admittedly, I also tend to plan for the worst and hope for the best. But it has served me well in the past.

We actually bought the EVC for MIL after a few trips of renting them for her. It was “used”, but it sat in a garage the majority of its life as it was large for home use. The batteries were replaced before we bought it. We store it at our home as we have the room and she only uses it when with us due to not needing it day to day. I feel fairly confident it will be fine (knock on wood),

I have a hard time justifying to myself spending the money on a rental when I have one in my home. I should have also said my crutch isn’t a regular one, but a different design. I attached a picture
I understand the difficulty in spending the money when you have one, as I said for me it is a matter of peace of mind, but to each their own. I just wouldn't feel right not at least mentioning the potential for issues.

A quick thought to check before you go, you might want to make sure how many miles you can make it on a charge, just to be safe to ensure that the battery is still in good shape. I would say a bare minimum of a 10 mile range (15+ mile would be better) for Disney World to help ensure you don't need to charge during the day, otherwise plan accordingly, just so you know what to expect. I am not saying don't take it with a shorter range, just be aware you will need to plug in when you can if it does.

Given the design of the crutches, I would definitely call GM, they are very good at figuring things out like that. Be sure to let them know the type of crutch it is and what type of ECV you have, I am quite confident that they can and will help find a solution for you, no matter if they rent or sell you said solution or not, they are in business to provide what best fits the needs of the person, not try to rip them off.

Lemme put this on a list ... condensed and reordered a few points...
  1. I have looked at different holders for a crutch, but it doesn't seem like any will work with the EVC. It's is a pride mobility celebrity x, so there isn't a good spot across the back to put a holder (or make one with PVC). My crutch is about 5ft tall, and I'm nervous about it wobbling back and forth.
  2. The best solution DH and I have found is it fits perfectly under the seat and onto the foot rest. It sticks out in the front about 3 inches. Would that be a problem?
  3. It does fold in half, but it's not the easiest to fold down. We also thought maybe a deep backpack on the back could hold it if it was folded. Any other solutions?
okay ... now in order...
  1. It will wobble and it's annoying as you might imagine. Consider something like a Mop and Broom Hanger. Self drilling-tapping screws would be best to attach the clamps but it's not your ECV so use steel hose clamps or zip ties to secure it. Oof, just looked at the model of ECV ... tough to find a spot to mount a hanger ... maybe on the steering ... hrmm...
  2. YES. You can probably maneuver the scooter with this thing hanging off your front with no problems, but other people simply will not see it and WILL walk too close and probably will trip on it and blame you.
  3. Maybe another solution. Consider switching to a forearm crutch. I honestly don't know why these are not the more popular crutch option in this country. In Europe and Asia anyway this style of crutch is what people are given when discharged from the hospital for just about everything mobility related. In your case, this style of crutch is much smaller than an axillary crutch. It's shorter and less complex, just a single shaft; it should be much easier to carry and stow.

Is this the actual crutches?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017PAN7E8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_l3q0CbXGXFPD2

This is a link to the Pride Mobility Celebrity X manual:
https://www.pridemobility.com/pdf/owners_manuals/us_scooter/us_celebrity_x_om.pdf

I thought it might be helpful for people to see more pictures and/or measurements.

Here are some links to crutch holders that say they would fit most Pride mobility scooters(they may be the same ones that other posters found)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FQF8BM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Gpr0CbSJ0VVPQ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JNQYQTM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_KAr0CbYVSTWZY

I see on the Pride website that they also have crutch holders as an accessory, but it says to contact your dealer.
If you know where the scooter was bought, you could contact them to see if they can help you. They could also do a reading on the battery to check how well it is holding a charge. We found out the hard way that a power wheelchair that is not being used can drain the battery to a level where it won’t hold a full charge.

One caution about bungee cords - I would avoid them. Even though they can help to hold things, if they let go, they can cause serious eye injuries. https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/news/20000502/bungee-cords-eye-injury#1

I’ve got a flexible holder -not sure what it’s called, but it looks like a vinyl covered rod, but bends and holds. We use it for securing things do they don’t rattle.

Is this the actual crutches?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017PAN7E8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_l3q0CbXGXFPD2

This is a link to the Pride Mobility Celebrity X manual:
https://www.pridemobility.com/pdf/owners_manuals/us_scooter/us_celebrity_x_om.pdf

I thought it might be helpful for people to see more pictures and/or measurements.

Here are some links to crutch holders that say they would fit most Pride mobility scooters(they may be the same ones that other posters found)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FQF8BM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Gpr0CbSJ0VVPQ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JNQYQTM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_KAr0CbYVSTWZY

I see on the Pride website that they also have crutch holders as an accessory, but it says to contact your dealer.
If you know where the scooter was bought, you could contact them to see if they can help you. They could also do a reading on the battery to check how well it is holding a charge. We found out the hard way that a power wheelchair that is not being used can drain the battery to a level where it won’t hold a full charge.

One caution about bungee cords - I would avoid them. Even though they can help to hold things, if they let go, they can cause serious eye injuries. https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/news/20000502/bungee-cords-eye-injury#1

I’ve got a flexible holder -not sure what it’s called, but it looks like a vinyl covered rod, but bends and holds. We use it for securing things do they don’t rattle.

These are actually my crutches. I have the "tall" version of the link you had posted. That is a great idea about contacting the dealer. It was bought local, so I can contact them to do a battery check and see what they suggest. I ordered the flexible holders you posted yesterday thinking we could try those. The biggest issue I have run into with suggestions are that there is no good place to attached a holder to the back that would allow the crutch to not stick way out the top. I guess I could always attach a flag to it so my family could find me lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!