Holding hands in the parks?

I can't imagine why you'd say this. I have held my bf's (now husband's) hand while walking around Magic Kingdom, while waiting in line for Tower of Terror, and (my favorite) while watching Illuminations at Epcot, among many other times.

If it's fine for a straight couple to hold hands at such times, then it should be fine for us as well.

Love is love.

My preference. I don't like PDA in general, and don't require to hold hands. Love is love is right, and I am very proud of who I am and who I'm with...I would do anything for him. :hug::hug:

Ladies and gentlemen and those in-between and otherwise...I present my nominee for Mom of the Year. You, ma'am, are awesome.

Oh gosh-very humbled by your sweet "atta-girl." Thanks so much for your kind words. It brought a little tear to my eye to read it. Thanks so much :-)

I'm so sorry this is something you have to worry about. I hope this isn't offensive for me to say, but as a mom of 2 kids I am HOPING for my kids to see some gay couples kissing, holding hands, hugging, sharing loving looks, etc as we live in a smallish town and our only "normalizing" example of "see-we're all the same, we love who we love" is Ellen and Portia. If either or both of my kids are gay I want them to have lots of happy images stored in their brains of what life will be like for them. And regardless, it's important to us that the kids grow up to be inclusive and celebratory of everyone regardless of similarities or differences. You are more than "an example" certainly, but your bravery might let other ppl feel brave, too. I've never witnessed any gay couples being harassed at Disney, but if you would get a weird glance or whatever, know there are lots of ppl who have your back and think its sweet. Disney is a happy place. Hopefully it brings out all sorts of loving feelings for you two and you feel comfortable enough to show it. Best wishes for an awesome vacation!

(And no worries, I won't be all, "Look over there, kids! Gay people!")

This x 100. Another straight-y that wants my kids to see love and loving families in all of it's many variations.

I wouldn't enjoy Disney much if I couldn't hold my partner's hand and even kiss her-- and we have done both with no issue.

As long as it doesn't bother anymore, I would prefer to do it private with my hetersexual old man.

:confused3 O k ay, no, most likely nobody will be bothered if you hold your heterosexual husband's hand in private :confused3

Hand holding is one thing. Kissing and the like that is another thing. I this kissing in public whether gay or straight is tacky. Holding hands is quite enough PDA for WDW. I am no prude, but i feel how I feel. I get a little embarrassed if my DH pats my behind when people are around. But hey he still sees me as being the girl he married 27 years ago-so I can't complain.

Either way - enjoy your vacation with your loved one.

YOLO

as someone who is unquestionably out, I can't explain how little I thought this would matter, and how much it did, when my partner and I celebrated 5 years together last August. when we made our reservations we mentioned our anniversary, and when we checked in we were given anniversary buttons, which we wore through most of the trip. we were congratulated dozens of times by cast members, characters, and other guests. I ordered a surprise custom cake for one of our ADRs, and the table was decorated (and at another restaurant we were gifted a slice of celebratory cake). no one asked if we wanted our bill split, and only one character asked if I had "found my prince." I'm sure there were folks who didn't like seeing us hold hands (or exchange the occasional kiss), but they didn't put their homophobia on us. For me, it's more than being able to hold hands comfortably (well, at least when it was uncomfortable it was because of the absurd heat), it's that we weren't constantly read as sisters. its an odd, but extremely satisfying, feeling.

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry that you even have to ask this question... :(

There is always someone, somewhere who will judge something.

I hope you have a great vacation...and not let people who would otherwise have an issue with it, stand in your way... :banana:

Completely agreed! I was just scrolling the main boards and saw this post title, it is so sad someone would have to ask this!! My family and I are going this Summer and yes it coincides with gay/friendship days. Do we care? NO! My kids are being raised to treat with respect EVERYONE the same! The only part I dread is if they see the horrible hateful plane flying overhead I have heard about, kids do not need to see such hatred for no reason, in my opinion. I am still not sure what to say to them if they do, the ones who would notice are 10 & 11. On the other hand, not that you plan to as you mentioned but the only thing I would find inappropriate , for anyone is to see hetero or **** people fully making out like teenagers? Of course not, but holding hands and showing your affection is something no one should have to feel self conscious about. Tell a cast member if someone is mean for no reason and have them ejected ;) You have more support than you may think, if anyone even notices that is. Most people will probably be so into their own thing they wont notice much of anyone or anything else anyways... Have a great vacation and make magical memories!

wow, sorry, not sure why it put my word as a curse word?! sad in itself. I put the abbreviated word for homosexual like the abbre. word for heterosexual just before it, which it allowed, hmm,... sorry...

wow, sorry, not sure why it put my word as a curse word?! sad in itself. I put the abbreviated word for homosexual like the abbre. word for heterosexual just before it, which it allowed, hmm,... sorry...

once I was talking about one of my favorite old time TV shows. the one with Robert and Laura Petrie.... starrin dick van dyke and mary tyler moore. we'll see what happens ;)

as someone who is unquestionably out, I can't explain how little I thought this would matter, and how much it did, when my partner and I celebrated 5 years together last August. when we made our reservations we mentioned our anniversary, and when we checked in we were given anniversary buttons, which we wore through most of the trip. we were congratulated dozens of times by cast members, characters, and other guests. I ordered a surprise custom cake for one of our ADRs, and the table was decorated (and at another restaurant we were gifted a slice of celebratory cake). no one asked if we wanted our bill split, and only one character asked if I had "found my prince." I'm sure there were folks who didn't like seeing us hold hands (or exchange the occasional kiss), but they didn't put their homophobia on us. For me, it's more than being able to hold hands comfortably (well, at least when it was uncomfortable it was because of the absurd heat), it's that we weren't constantly read as sisters. its an odd, but extremely satisfying, feeling.

This question is the exact same question that got me to the Dis a little over 5 years ago and now I am a planner of Hershey DIs Meet. I have to say Ditto to everything in this quote. My Fiance and I went and had the just engaged buttons and everyone was very congratulatory towards us including most other guests of the parks. We even had a photopass+ person take a bunch of shots almost like a make shift photo session in front of Animal Kingdom. Like most people say enjoy your vacation and don't worry about anyone else and certainly don't let any negative people affect your vacation.

my boo and i first visited disney together two years ago. we are a SUPER cuddly couple and my boo always gets awkward stares from kids for being gender nonconforming, but it was totally chill. we are getting married at WDW in april - still figuring out how we will signify that we are getting married in the parks (hats, t shirts, etc) but we definitely want everyone to know!

I would say that whatever is appropriate for a straight couple at a family park, is appropriate for same-sex couples at a family park. Whatever is inappropriate for a straight couple, likewise for a same-sex couple. Seems pretty simple, unfortuately, there will always be the occasional person....whether at Disney, Wal-Mart, the mall or a restaurant...that will get their knickers in a knot. Just ignore them, and have fun.

Saw the title and had to chime in. As a straight woman who would be bringing my kids to WDW (or anywhere) I am completely ok with with same sex couples holding hands or even just showing affection. I am raising my kids to celebrate and respect love in all forms. Now if you wanted to have an all out PDA fest in the middle of the park I would object, but just as I would if it was a straight couple. While I am ok having the talk that love comes in all forms not quite ready for the other talk yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter