Holding hands in the parks?

We are a same sex couple and were married at Disney World in October 2014 (at the Germany Pavillon in Epcot) with 50 of our closest family and friends (none of which who are gay!) , wore our "happily ever after" pins the whole time, and the trip a year before we wore the "just engaged" pins the whole time... never a bad word...just love and congratulations from all we saw and had encounters with. A great, great wonderful experience. We are affectionate in public but never cross the line of being inappropriate- I don't like seeing that in any couple no matter the orientation. I believe people are basically good and wonderful at their base... and am rarely disappointed ... especially in the happiest place on Earth

If my husband and I saw a same sex couple at disney holding hands or kissing, we would find it incredibly sweet :)
Old, young, gay, straight, couples are just cute at disney!

I'd probably cry a little too.

the huz and i have been to disney a whole bunch of times (usually in October for Food & Wine); we hold hands and rock PDAs with no fear. we've never gotten so much as a dirty look; disney is it's own microcosm of fabulousness. cast members and guests are always completely unaffected.

My fiancé & I hold hands and have never had any looks or comments...be comfortable with who you are and don't mind those that don't.

I was wondering. I'm planning a vacation with the bf, but we are not doing the gay days thing. How comfortable is it to be able to hold hands like other couples do? We're not going to be making out all over the place. Maybe a quick peck now and then. Has anyone experienced any uncomfortableness?

Oh, the Horror of that!!!! Holding hands, my gosh. I'm being sarcastic, sorry. But why shouldn't you show your affection by holding your bf's hand? It's a natural thing that all couples do, so go for it!!! I don't like to see Anyone making out or deep kissing in public, whether you are gay or not! Just Ick, get a room, there are children at WDW! I don't know why people get upset over anyone holding hands, though! Have fun:)

We were just there last month, and we were happily surprised to see many same sex couples and quite a few of them with children. No one batted an eye, at holding hands or hugs. Please go and enjoy yourselves, and hopefully, as others have said, no one will have to ask this question someday.

I cant wait to take my Boyfriend on his first trip to WDW next year. If all goes well between now and then, i even plan to propose to him at WDW. I really want to walk about holding hands with him and as lovely the previous comments are, i cant help but still be in fear that there will always be that ' one person or family' who don't approve and make it known. The last thing i want to do is upset other people while there.

You're thoughtful of others, but try to remember, the people who may be "upset and make it known" are really the type who are easily upset about almost anything. You can't please everyone, and as Shakespeare said, "To Thine Own Self Be True."

Last edited:
Hold hands, kiss who cares! You're not harming anyone and you're at Disney which can be super Romantic.

*fireworks kisses*

It bothers me that people get all stressed about something which is nothing. They can just mind their own business.

It's a sad world when you even have to ask...to think that the slightest show of affection toward another human being would be considered improper or inappropriate. I say, think more about your feelings for the person you're with than about what those around you think and you'll be fine no matter what you do--hold hands, kiss, have fun together, that's the important thing.

So I'm going to tell a story because every time I tell it people love it. Some background: I'm a 45 year old woman, married to a 45 year old man for 21 years, and we have two sons who are 11 and 15.

In 2008 we were in WDW during Gay Days. We didn't know anything about it, but we overheard someone on the monorail say something about how we should avoid all the red shirts with our small children (our boys were 4 and 8 at the time). Once we figured it out my husband and I were ticked off (to say the least) that someone would be so rude. Unfortunately, I couldn't even reply to the man because in that moment I had no idea what he was talking about.

My husband and I decided we should discuss it with our boys because we had no plans to "avoid all the red shirts" and even though we have several LGBT friends, our children (to our knowledge) had not seen any public displays of affection between same *** couples. We didn't want our kids to ask us loudly (as kids will sometimes do) in the event they saw same *** couples kissing because we wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings or appear offended in any way. Yet, we didn't want to make a big deal out of it because (newsflash) it's not a big deal. ;)

So, we sat down with them and I asked if they knew what the word gay means. Of course, they said it means happy. (we smiled) I said, "It can also mean you love someone who is the same gender as you, but not only do you love them as a friend, you also love them the way mommy and daddy love each other...as a couple who wants to be together and be affectionate with one another." Older son said, "that's cool" and younger son said, "well, if you really love someone I think that's nice." (Seriously, kids are so unfazed by things. They both were just like "okay can we go to Magic Kingdom now? People love people. Isn't this how it's supposed to be?") I told them a celebration called Gay Days was going on and many of those celebrating would be wearing red shirts.

Then I told them some people think it is wrong for two people of the same gender to love each other in this way, and I wanted them to be prepared in case something ugly was said. I also told them their mommy and daddy don't believe it is wrong. We believe it is only important that we all love and respect each other, and it doesn't matter what your gender is, you should love whomever you choose.

As we were walking through the entrance to MK later that day, two men walked past us holding hands. My younger son (remember, he was 4 at the time) turned to me and said, "Oh look, Mommy. They're so in love. Isn't that nice? And they remembered their red shirts too!"
That's one of my proudest moments.

I hope someday VERY soon we can all hold hands and give a kiss to those we love in public without having to wonder what others might think. Love is love.

^ Such a lovely story, thank you for sharing! If only the world could be filled with more parents like you and your husband :)

So I'm going to tell a story because every time I tell it people love it. Some background: I'm a 45 year old woman, married to a 45 year old man for 21 years, and we have two sons who are 11 and 15.

In 2008 we were in WDW during Gay Days. We didn't know anything about it, but we overheard someone on the monorail say something about how we should avoid all the red shirts with our small children (our boys were 4 and 8 at the time). Once we figured it out my husband and I were ticked off (to say the least) that someone would be so rude. Unfortunately, I couldn't even reply to the man because in that moment I had no idea what he was talking about.

My husband and I decided we should discuss it with our boys because we had no plans to "avoid all the red shirts" and even though we have several LGBT friends, our children (to our knowledge) had not seen any public displays of affection between same *** couples. We didn't want our kids to ask us loudly (as kids will sometimes do) in the event they saw same *** couples kissing because we wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings or appear offended in any way. Yet, we didn't want to make a big deal out of it because (newsflash) it's not a big deal. ;)

So, we sat down with them and I asked if they knew what the word gay means. Of course, they said it means happy. (we smiled) I said, "It can also mean you love someone who is the same gender as you, but not only do you love them as a friend, you also love them the way mommy and daddy love each other...as a couple who wants to be together and be affectionate with one another." Older son said, "that's cool" and younger son said, "well, if you really love someone I think that's nice." (Seriously, kids are so unfazed by things. They both were just like "okay can we go to Magic Kingdom now? People love people. Isn't this how it's supposed to be?") I told them a celebration called Gay Days was going on and many of those celebrating would be wearing red shirts.

Then I told them some people think it is wrong for two people of the same gender to love each other in this way, and I wanted them to be prepared in case something ugly was said. I also told them their mommy and daddy don't believe it is wrong. We believe it is only important that we all love and respect each other, and it doesn't matter what your gender is, you should love whomever you choose.

As we were walking through the entrance to MK later that day, two men walked past us holding hands. My younger son (remember, he was 4 at the time) turned to me and said, "Oh look, Mommy. They're so in love. Isn't that nice? And they remembered their red shirts too!"
That's one of my proudest moments.

I hope someday VERY soon we can all hold hands and give a kiss to those we love in public without having to wonder what others might think. Love is love.

That is such a wonderful story! I love hearing stories like this!

My wife and I were married at Disneyland in December and had a photoshoot in the park the morning after our wedding. Toward the end of the shoot we ended up in front of the floral Mickey right outside the gates where guests had already lined up at the gates to get in the park. It made us a little nervous because we were so concerned someone would shout out something awful at us. Thankfully, nothing happened. However, later that day we were walking around Fantasyland (with our hair and makeup from that morning still) and this man walking by us pushing his 3 or 4 year old daughter in a stroller stopped and went "You're the brides from the the photoshoot this morning right?! Oh my gosh! You made my daughter's day! She was so excited to see you both and kept going 'look at the brides, daddy!'"

It was an absolutely amazing life moment. Children are so wonderful sometimes and they really don't concern themselves with all the politics, and parents who encourage their children to continue to be loving and accepting of others are just as awesome imo.

i know this is sort of an on-going and old-ish post. but I hope you were able to go and enjoy just as you would anywhere that you would feel comfortable.
My wife and daughter and I all hold hands at WDW. We've gotten nothing but smiles from people.

DW is not a big hand-holder, but I really like it when I can get her to do it. I'm cis and she's trans and our daughter is black where we are both white, so in our fairly small, conservative town we have gotten some dirty looks. I plan to enjoy being at Disney and try not to worry about what others may think. Our family is LOVE and I'm not going to let others spoil that.

Older post...some people have issues with that. I don't know why.

A couple of years ago I was visiting WDW with a younger man. He insisted on holding my hand when we were walking around the park. I'm old school and wasn't used to that, so I was attentive to other people's reactions. I also never did that because, even when I was a teenager and tried to walk hand-in-hand with a girl, which I did because it's what I thought I was supposed to do, it never worked for me. It was just uncomfortable.

Well we figured out it worked if I held his left hand in my right hand. Or he held my right hand in his left hand. Not entirely sure which is which.

We had no issues. I noticed a couple of occasions of teenage girls (?) looking at our hands, then up to our faces, then back to our hands. Like they were trying to figure it out. But no one said anything.

Same experience at Seaworld that same week.

I was all ready for someone to say something and was just going to reply "get over it." Fortunately I never had to use my prepared line. I'm so glad most people are over it.

Unfortunately, there's always going to be homophobic people in the world, but if there's any huge public place where you can feel relatively safe at PDA, it's Disney World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter