Holiday blues...vent

Re: your DDs' trip with friends to run the Disney marathon in January -
It is not your job to find transportation for them to the airport. Your DDs are adults. If they are adult enough to book their own Disney trip, then they are adult enough to figure out how to get from the college to the airport. Do not solve this "problem" for them.

Do you stay at your Mom's from 12/27 - 1/11?
Why in the world would you need to do that? That's 15 days with your passive-aggressive mom. 15 days that you could instead be at home with your DH and your dog. I'd be much more inclined to do whatever necessary to avoid constantly spending the night at her house on a regular basis, especially since she always has a big long "honey do" list of work/chores for you to do for her when you are there.

By the way, this is why you need something of your own to do at home on a regular basis. Stop throwing your wants & needs away for everybody else.

Re: worrying about your DDs' car breaking down on a road trip:
Buy them a AAA membership for an early Christmas gift.

You're a strong, self-assured, capable & confident woman who can take charge of her own life. You just don't realize it yet. :-) You haven't seen the forest for the trees yet. You're headed in the right direction, though. I think you should consider counseling to help you sort out some of this. It might be helpful. Navigating things with an increasingly needy manipulative aging parent is very very hard unless you have firmly defined boundaries.

You need to choose between the paragraph above and the one below.

You can't have it both ways. You either want a simpler life or you don't. In the 1st paragraph I quoted above, to my untrained eye, it all honestly just sounds like you trying to justify why staying at your mom's for 2 weeks is a good idea. You say that you're tired of having to help her so much, but then you also say that you don't mind helping her.

Which is it?

Your mom isn't an invalid. I mean, she can still drive herself places, right? My MIL legally isn't allowed to drive anymore so she HAS to rely on others to take her places for everything...totally different situation.

For example, what are the errands that your mom can't take herself to? If they're doctor appointments, why can't she drive herself or why can't she arrange for a ride?

Is the real reason for the justifying you staying 2 weeks at a stretch with your mom is because you're tired of listening to her passive-aggressive hinting around? No offense, but you're a grown woman and you're married. There's no reason why you HAVE to be staying for weeks at a time at your mom's. Go live with your husband!

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It sounds like he's getting up in years and that can be pretty hard.

Why can't your college student kids figure out on their own how to get home for the holidays? No time like the present to learn how. :-)
Yeah, it is conflicting and my own doing...I know. The 2 weeks thing is if we have to be up there for X event and then again 2 weeks later for another X event it is easier for me to stay than drive the 5.5 hour (through DC/NoVa mess) back and forth like 10 days apart. You know what I mean.

My DDs do drive from college to my mom's to meet us. First year we had to get them as they couldn't have a car and then second year they were allowed a car on campus but it is mountainous snowy driving they weren't used to so we still would get them. This 3rd year we just let them now drive down since they are used to driving in it (one DD is EMT and drives the ambo in it all). But it is easier to meet them at my mom's since all our family is there and we have some event or another there. It would be a 9+ hour drive for them to come all the way down to us at our house. Next Thanksgiving I want to stay here and fly them (though that isn't straight forward either as no direct flights here). But they only get like 4 days so driving 9 hours each way really eats into it. We can fly them, direct, 2 hours from us and pick them up.

My mom can drive but has trouble walking. Doing one thing will tire her and then she'll get in her recliner and sleep for hours. She works just 3 days a week and comes home around 3pm and sleeps. Days off she gets in recliner and sleeps almost all day. She goes to a doctor appt and that wipes her out for the day. The knees, even though she had them replaced 18 months ago, they still kill her for some reason. She can't bend them well, to bend over and pick anything up. She can't get on her knees, like to weed garden or set up her fireplace (wood burning) for example. I really think it's partly the extra weight and the not being able to take ibuprofin (so the swelling and pain persists). She does have a lot of stairs though, to get in her house to go up to her bedroom, to go down to the back yard, to go down to basement (storage room). She manages but limits herself in how many times she goes up or down (not running up and down all day long like I can do and she used to be able to do). Really she does need a better set up, one floor living with no outside maintenance.

The dog....he can't get on the bed. We, for a while, would lift him on it but then he'd jump down 30 mins later. Because he keeps having a disc issues in his back we stopped putting him on the bed. Don't want his jumping down to hurt his back. He has a dog bed in our bedroom and will lay in that and on the floor, he moves back and forth through the night. But the scratching on the side of bed in the wee hours, I have figured out, is from DH's loud snoring. When DH is away or when I have the dog with me at my mom's the dog sleeps through the night and doesn't get up until I do. Sometimes I will sleep in guest bedroom, with and without the dog, so as to get a straight night sleep. Last night it was 2:30am when the dog scratched the bed. I brought him to the living room, like usual, and laid on sofa and he laid in his dog bed he has out here (we have 3 beds in various rooms). He can jump on sofa after several tries but I now have pillows and blankets blocking the edges so he won't jump. The dog might have dementia too. That may be part of it because sometimes he will get up in middle of night and leave the room for a drink or to just wander the house or even scratch to go outside (he is also nearly blind and I think he has day and night mixed as he sleeps hard during the day). I have posted in the various dog threads about him as it's been an ongoing problem. I keep thinking his days are numbered and then he bounces back. So who knows...maybe he will live to 16. 😩

The part you said about my mom. Yes, she is lonely. She moved from family home to being married to my dad at age 20 and never knew how to be alone. After she grieved my dad, about 18 months later, she was on the hunt for a boyfriend and has had 2 long term and a couple short term. This past few years, which also coincided with me moving away, she has not had a boyfriend. I think she works her little side job for some social aspect as she doesn't need to work and it is a kind of far drive and early start time (like 35 min drive and like 7am start). She has been going to a lot of doctors for her ailments (like a couple a week....it's always something) and we started to wonder if this too was for some attention. I think it's 2 part...one is she is terrified that she'll have a sudden death kinda like my dad and two is she gets attention from people (the doctors and from me). And having arthritis but not being able to take ibuprofin (she is on blood thinner for A Fib) is painful for her. I, myself, am starting to have the joint pains so I can't imagine not being able to take ibuprofin.

And she does say 'if your father was here...' all the time. He was not only handy but he built a 2 story garage, decks, finished basements, put up fences, made gardens....he could do any repairs. He maintained the cars. He dealt with people, like when buying a car or disputing some bill or something. So she's had to figure all this out on her own, as an older person not being used to doing these things. I do commend her for having to do that. She has bought a few cars on her own, hired companies to renovate her house, dealt with insurance issues and the such. She goes on trips with friends as a solo. I took her to HHI this past Aug and she did drive down to me to go. When my dad first died, we lived 2 hours from her and she drove herself to visit and got lost and was anxious and came in 4 hours later all a mess and in tears. For 34 years she had relied on my dad to drive and navigate. Now she can drive 5.5 hours to me (she won't do it often, and maybe only to go to HHI which she LOVES).

She has had to learn to do all these things for herself. And for years I didn't do much, if anything, to help. She even worked full time for many years after my dad died. But her knees went out (she got really heavy), I moved away and she dumped the boyfriend all around the same time (2-3 years ago). This summer I didn't do her yard care...she did it herself (DDs and I may have done it once when up there but I wasn't driving up every week to do it, no way). And when I was just up for Thanksgiving we (my DD) drug her fake tree up from the basement but didn't set it up. I did do the decorating last year (just inside decor, never outdoor). I know she would have liked me to set it up but I wasn't about to. She doesn't really ask me to do these things for her (well, she did at first and then I lost it with her one day and now she won't ask outright). She does a passive aggressive thing, like "you don't have to do this, I am not asking you...BUT...I need X" and if I don't do it she might snark about it later.

It really is all my own fault as I should just shrug and not do it. But I don't mind doing some stuff and helping when I can. I actually would love to help more...but on my time (without being dictated to, like the Thanksgiving meal) and without the horrible drive to get there (nothing I can do about that). And I am having to go up there a lot due to it being the halfway point for DDs and all our other family is up there (we have to go back for various family events like so-and-so's anniversary party and the such...don't HAVE to but we then also visit with our DDs who drive down from college and I can help my mom...and if we have a couple events over a 2 week period I will just stay 2 weeks...like I have to figure out here at the end of the month if I am doing that...when I stay 2 weeks I can run my mom on her errands and take her to her doctor appts which then I can hear what's going on firsthand...and I do end up doing some chores too). When we moved, and DDs went off to college, my mom finished her basement (full bathroom, mini kitchen, room with TV and 2 pull out sofas). So we do have a nice space there. Though I detest the 2 little pull outs.

I just want calmer though and it's not with all this running. And DH pushes all the running because he himself can't sit still. DDs graduate one year from now so there is a light at the end of that tunnel (unless they stay up there, which is prob about 60% likely). Past 24 hours they have been blowing up my phone...fighting with each other and moaning to me about it (they live off campus in a house together with 2 other people). Le sigh!

Yeah, my Mom depended on my Dad for so much. She was very, very young when they married and moved to a military base. She did a lot by teaching herself how to cook, taking care of the kids all by herself (when he would be deployed) and the household when she couldn't drive, living in strange towns and making do with very little money. But she still felt like she always had Dad to fall back on. He was the one who fixed everything. He did the driving (even after she learned to drive) and the navigating.

Keep in mind that at that age, what she did last summer may not be something she can do today. I don't know your Mom so I can't say this with any certainty but with the arthritis, it is going to get harder and harder for her. My mom had arthritis in her hands and her hips, mostly. There were days she would be out raking her huge yard, taking care of flowers, mowing, etc. And then she may not get out of the house for a week. We (my sister and I) tried to encourage her to keep doing things but doing what she could. If all she could do today was water all the plants, then that was what she did that day. There are three of us and we live right there, but that same thing would be best for your mom when you can too. Don't do things for her, but say you will help her do it. And don't do it unless she does it with you. The more she doesn't do things, the worse it will get.

Would she have enjoyed decorating the tree with your dd's? My mom would have loved something like that. So, either me or dsis would pull the tree out, put it up and all the decorations and then have all the great grands come over and help great grandma decorate the tree. Or if they weren't all available, just dd and dsis's granddaughter (same age as dd).

Honestly, we had to figure this all out as we went with mom. But we had to decide how to make sure she got what she did need (as for as help) and was still doing for herself and still enjoying the things she was doing. Holidays were tough but we tried to do them so Mom enjoyed them, got to spend time with the family and didn't get too far from tradition. I will say though she would have been 110% on board with catering it. She like her homemade pies and a few things but the rest could have been store bought.

I’m empathetic because it’s hard but to be frank...it’s way past time to set boundaries.

I had to do this with my mom several years ago. Basically, if you can no longer maintain your home/life then it is time for you to move to something easier to maintain. Or in your case, possibly time for her to move nearer to you. My mom would not consider it and I was the bad guy because I wouldn’t step in.

Re: your DDs' trip with friends to run the Disney marathon in January -
It is not your job to find transportation for them to the airport. Your DDs are adults. If they are adult enough to book their own Disney trip, then they are adult enough to figure out how to get from the college to the airport. Do not solve this "problem" for them.

Do you stay at your Mom's from 12/27 - 1/11?
Why in the world would you need to do that? That's 15 days with your passive-aggressive mom. 15 days that you could instead be at home with your DH and your dog. I'd be much more inclined to do whatever necessary to avoid constantly spending the night at her house on a regular basis, especially since she always has a big long "honey do" list of work/chores for you to do for her when you are there.

By the way, this is why you need something of your own to do at home on a regular basis. Stop throwing your wants & needs away for everybody else.

Re: worrying about your DDs' car breaking down on a road trip:
Buy them a AAA membership for an early Christmas gift.

You're a strong, self-assured, capable & confident woman who can take charge of her own life. You just don't realize it yet. :-) You haven't seen the forest for the trees yet. You're headed in the right direction, though. I think you should consider counseling to help you sort out some of this. It might be helpful. Navigating things with an increasingly needy manipulative aging parent is very very hard unless you have firmly defined boundaries.
Let me explain and maybe someone can help clarify for me as I am not sure how we'll do it.

They are done classes around Dec 13. They will drive to my mom's. Then I can meet them there to get them back down here to our house. Or I could let them drive down here on their own (4 hours to get to my mom's then 5.5 through DC/NoVA to get to our house). They do need to bring the 7 year old 130K mile car to get safety inspection that was due 11/30 (oops). So I could go up to meet them and bring it down with them.

Then Dec 18 we drive to Florida. For WDW trip Dec 19-26. It's about 10 hours to WDW. Then 10 hours back here.

MIL is having Xmas dinner on the 28th. And between the 26-28 I need to figure out a way to do an Xmas at home with my DS who won't be able to go to any of the trips (WDW or up to MIL's). We get to MIL's for the 28th. Could drive back home on the 29th or stay as DH has a slow week with it being Xmas to New Year's.

DDs fly back to Florida on Jan 9 for marathon. They fly back on Jan 12. They fly from near my mom's house with 2 HS friends (who live up by my mom). On the 12th, they will get in and drive back to college. (their airport has no direct flights to FL either, little crappy airport so best to fly from the Balt/DC area).

So they can stay up there after the 28th at MIL's and I can go home with DH. It's just so much back and forth in short period of time (and that drive is super awful....95 DC/NoVA used to be 4.5 hours straight through and now it's 5.5 straight, 6 if we add quick stops...traffic and construction) that it's easier to stay up.

Last edited:
Writing everything out on here and hearing other's advice and similar experiences has been helpful. It is very conflicting and discombobulating in my mind. So this helps sort it all out and clarifies things. Thank you all.

For the mess above I think I will let DDs drive to my mom's and stay the night and then drive down here on their own. Then we will drive to FL and back and then up to MIL's Xmas dinner and back the next day. Then on Jan 8th, they can drive themselves up to my mom's or MIL's and stay, get a ride to airport and then picked up on the 12th. Then drive back to college after. Bam, easy!

Let me explain and maybe someone can help clarify for me as I am not sure how we'll do it.

They are done classes around Dec 13. They will drive to my mom's. Then I can meet them there to get them back down here to our house. Or I could let them drive down here on their own (4 hours to get to my mom's then 5.5 through DC/NoVA to get to our house). They do need to bring the 7 year old 130K mile car to get safety inspection that was due 11/30 (oops). So I could go up to meet them and bring it down with them.

Then Dec 18 we drive to Florida. For WDW trip Dec 19-26. It's about 10 hours to WDW. Then 10 hours back here.

MIL is having Xmas dinner on the 28th. And between the 26-28 I need to figure out a way to do an Xmas at home with my DS who won't be able to go to any of the trips (WDW or up to MIL's). We get to MIL's for the 28th. Could drive back home on the 29th or stay as DH has a slow week with it being Xmas to New Year's.

DDs fly back to Florida on Jan 9 for marathon. They fly back on Jan 12. They fly from near my mom's house with 2 HS friends (who live up by my mom). On the 12th, they will get in and drive back to college. (their airport has no direct flights to FL either, little crappy airport so best to fly from the Balt/DC area).

So they can stay up there after the 28th at MIL's and I can go home with DH. It's just so much back and forth in short period of time (and that drive is super awful....95 DC/NoVA used to be 4.5 hours straight through and now it's 5.5 straight, 6 if we add quick stops...traffic and construction) that it's easier to stay up.

Are you meeting your dds because you are worried about them driving on their own? You are over thinking this if that is the case. If the car has to be brought back to your house anyway for the inspection, let them drive on home without you.

Why does the time with your son have to be right in the middle of all that? Would he be hurt if you just wait until after you go to your MILs? Just come back home with your dh and your dds and have it then.

As for the 9th, they should be able to figure out how to get there.

I have been there and done that. I still do more than I should for being empty nesters and our parents have passed. I have started talking with a therapist. I found one who listens to your life story, where you've been and where you are now. It helps to see how I got where I am. I found a third party can give me a good perspective on things. She has been helping me to set boundaries with family and how to advocate for myself like getting time for me etc. I have found this to be very helpful. Plus I have been journaling things that bother me or that I just want to get out and find that has been helpful with venting. I know I was kind of programmed to keep on helping and doing even when I should just say no. Go to WDW and enjoy yourself without thinking about what you should be doing.

At the risk of sounding like an old geezer regaling you with the tale of how he used to walk uphill both ways to school in ten feet of snow...

This entire past summer I drove from Baltimore to Atlanta by myself, pregnant, with a two year old every 10-14 days. Durham (about where you are, I think) was my halfway point, and every time I got that far I would think how nice it would be if that was the end of my commute because it would be such an “easy” drive. (I know there’s nothing “easy” about DMV traffic, but relatively speaking...) You can leave around 10am to avoid the worst of the morning rush hour and get to your destination mid-afternoon. Use the E-Z Pass Express Lane to make better time and follow your GPS’s suggested routes for avoiding traffic.

It’s a half-day drive. You have a husband and two adult daughters to share the driving and/or who can travel by themselves. No way would being stranded at someone else’s house for two weeks be the preferable option to me.

Yep. You're on the right track considering it a "commute" and not staying there so long. I go over 400 miles each way. sometimes twice a month. We used to only go visit family two, maybe three times a year, so doing it so often felt overwhelming at first. Now I go for a few days, get stuff done I need to do, and then come home. It really does become a "commute." It takes less time than a day at work. Set yourself up with books on CD to listen to or podcasts etc. if you have access.

I keep going back to the long haul considering the age of your mom. You can't do this for the rest of her life. She is still at an age where she should be functioning independently. Her choice is to do more on her own or hire help. Your dd's should be independent too. Let them handle their transportation.

Good
Writing everything out on here and hearing other's advice and similar experiences has been helpful. It is very conflicting and discombobulating in my mind. So this helps sort it all out and clarifies things. Thank you all.

For the mess above I think I will let DDs drive to my mom's and stay the night and then drive down here on their own. Then we will drive to FL and back and then up to MIL's Xmas dinner and back the next day. Then on Jan 8th, they can drive themselves up to my mom's or MIL's and stay, get a ride to airport and then picked up on the 12th. Then drive back to college after. Bam, easy!

Good job!!!

for Christmas with your DS, how about a nice family meal out somewhere special and maybe a movie or family game night? Do NOT prepare a huge dinner just after coming back from vacation and just before going to your MILs.

I think this sounds like a pretty reasonable solution.

My mom can drive but has trouble walking. Doing one thing will tire her and then she'll get in her recliner and sleep for hours. She works just 3 days a week and comes home around 3pm and sleeps. Days off she gets in recliner and sleeps almost all day. She goes to a doctor appt and that wipes her out for the day. The knees, even though she had them replaced 18 months ago, they still kill her for some reason. She can't bend them well, to bend over and pick anything up. She can't get on her knees, like to weed garden or set up her fireplace (wood burning) for example. I really think it's partly the extra weight and the not being able to take ibuprofin (so the swelling and pain persists). She does have a lot of stairs though, to get in her house to go up to her bedroom, to go down to the back yard, to go down to basement (storage room). She manages but limits herself in how many times she goes up or down (not running up and down all day long like I can do and she used to be able to do). Really she does need a better set up, one floor living with no outside maintenance.

Ah ok, I see! :-) So what you're saying, then, is that your mom's physical health has reached a point where she really shouldn't be living where she currently does. That is a hard conversation to have with a person who is stubborn and refuses to listen to you. My MIL is like this. One of these days, she will have a big health event which will require her to have an extended period of time of 24x7 assistance. My DH and his sister have discussed the various options with her many times. She gets emotional and refuses to talk about it, usually ends it with a manipulative comment like "You just want me dead so you can get rid of all my stuff. Maybe I should just die now so I'm not such a burden anymore."

In the meantime, there are probably some reasonable accommodations/changes that your mom could make in her current home so she could continue to stay living there longer. Weeding? Hire somebody to do it. She probably needs a regular landscaper. Her bedroom upstairs? Well, is there a bedroom on the 1st floor that she could use instead? The fireplace? That's simple...don't use it. Picking stuff up that's fallen on the floor? Easy - get her one of those grabber tools (my MIL has one, she loves it).

The getting tired thing...that's probably not going to get any better. There's nothing you can do about that. Your mom is slowing down. That's ok.

Something to think about for the future: grocery delivery services for your mom. She might not need it now, but she might at some point down the road.

There were so many times that I missed out on being with my family because of my grandma and my brother missed nothing. These siblings need to get their heads out of their behinds and SEE what stress this causes. I hate my brother because of it.

Maybe your brother wanted to be with his children instead of missing things? Maybe his children were more important to him than your grandmother? Maybe he doesn't really care about your grandmother? Some people (for whatever reason) just don't care about certain people in their family. It's obvious your brother didn't want to do things for his grandmother. Did he agree to split her care 50/50 that you expected him to do so?

What was your grandmother's plan for when she could no longer clean, or do bills, or shop?

I would rather die than watch my children leave their families for days on end in order to do my bills and clean my house and do my shopping.

The minute I can no longer do those things, I will go into assisted living. No child or grandchild should have health-altering stress because they have to take care of my basic needs. We plan for so many things, but rarely our elder years. It really needs to be addressed.

(I want to add that your grandmother is lucky to have you as a granddaughter)

Also, re: your upcoming Disney trip -

I think that you should consider embracing it. Prep your immediate family ahead of time and set expectations with them. Tell them that at SOME point during the trip, you need some quiet time. In fact, you could go ahead now and make a spa appointment at one of the spas on property. If that isn't in the cards, then at some point EVERY DAY you are in a park, when the rest of your crew wants to go on attraction X, you say, "I'm going to grab a cup of coffee and sit on this bench for a little while and watch the world go by."

EVEN IF everybody else in your group balks and complains and tries to convince you to go with them, stick up for yourself and just kindly say, "No thanks."

It doesn't have to be a cup of coffee. Maybe you decide that you want to browse and go shopping but the rest of them are go-go-go ride people. Same sort of thing.

I understand where you might be coming from because my DH gets Theme Park Fatigue. Our trips are usually to Disneyland because geographically, that's closer to us than WDW. I KNOW that by lunch time, he's had enough and wants a break. So I plan for that accordingly. By comparison, my kids and I would love to go commando style all day long from open to close, but we compromise and we ALL take a break at our hotel room for a couple of hours. Usually, my DH needs about a 4 hr break in order to feel ready to face the masses in the evening. So on MANY trips, the kids & I have gone back to the parks an hour or 2 earlier than DH has. He just meets up with us later.

I used to get upset about it, but I realized that when we did it this way, DH had a much better time and wasn't so stressed out and it would take him longer each day for his TPF symptoms to kick in.

And when you're at WDW, don't think about your mom. Live IN the moment. Stop to smell the roses. Look at the small details. You could decide, let's say, to photograph them. Stop to talk to a CM and ask him/her about their day, ask them what their favorite ride is, etc. Go and buy a Mickey balloon for a family with a young child. Stop at City Hall or Guest Services each day before you leave the park in order to leave a thank you for a CM.

OP you kinda remind me of my aunt. Oh she complains about all the work that goes into Christmas at her house every year. All the concern over it all working out and this and that. She's the worry wart of our family. She's very sweet and kind but she's always worried about other people (rarely herself).

Anyways we had Christmas at our house the first year we lived here because it was our newly built home and we wanted to share our new home and do something new with my side of the family. I had always been thinking about how stressed out my aunt was and how she would be very vocal about it all. Well that was the year it cemented that as much as she complains she really wants to be the one in control of it all. To not be in control or I guess another way of phrasing it to not be the point person stressed her out even more.

I see it this way. You really do want to ease up on the stress and let others do their own thing and yet at the same time you've been so used to being that person for those around you that to just step back and not be is such a foreign territory. You might not like how your mother talks to you and all that she says and yet at the same time you might be worried and concerned if you're not that person will she be taken care of and things actually done. Sounds like you're working on not being so worried about other people as much and I say that's a good thing :)

Obviously moving out of one's current home can be a touchy subject. I know when my grandfather passed away my grandmother was not in a position to really take care of the house herself-both physically and knowledge know-how.

She ended up taking the $ from the sale of that home and bought a 1-story/1-bedroom yet still quite spacious unit of a duplex in a 55+ community. It was a great compromise at that time. She got a home still but things like yard care and a few other things were taken care, not everything of course but that was something that was still the point for her--independence yet assistance. I think that helped eased her into a living facility when it was time for that transition. She was not in full assisted living but a much smaller apartment, cafeteria for food, and more things all just under a roof rather than having to drive out (or get rides) to places other than appointment.

The picking up pre-cooked thanksgiving dinner...I have tried and she says 'ew, no'. I suggest we go out to eat and she say 'no, I want home cooked'. Stubborn and gotta be HER way. i also have to make the things she likes. I try to do different and she says 'ew, no'. I made a pecan pie this time because it's my DDs' fave (and I too like it). She was like 'gross'. So I ask what she'd like me to buy for her at the market. She chose cherry pie. Ew. I think that was the worst one at the market. And....she didn't even eat any that night. Nobody did.

So I did make clear to her and my brother that I'd be cooking in MY home next year and they were welcome to come. They won't. And she'll grumble and make passive aggressive comments. But, so be it. I am having Thanksgiving with my 3 kids next year.

But see, that’s where boundaries come in. If she isn’t cooking, then she gets an invitation not menu planning access.

As far as your brother, cut him some slack. It sounds like he has established the boundaries that you need. Outside of her surgery recovery it doesn’t sound like she actually needs help. Take a page from his book. Your brother isn’t rushing in and she loves him anyway.

it sounds like YOU feel like, you don’t work so it’s your job to do everything for everyone. It’s not!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter