Hollywood and Vine Or Chef Mickey

Kim Keenan

Earning My Ears
We have reservations for Chef Mickey breakfast as well as the Minnie Holiday dinner at Hollywood and Vine. It will be my husband and I and our three year old. I have read mixed reviews on both and the price difference between the breakfast and dinner is nominal. I am trying to decide between the two. Any feedback or suggestions would be welcomed! Thanks!

You have chosen restaurants that are both on my never in a million years list. Neither has a great reputation k hence the mixed reviews you are seeing

I would pick whichever fits best into your plans for the day.

Have a great trip!

Thanks! Yeah it is hard and I understand it’s more about the characters then the food at these locations just try to figure out the lesser of the two evils. What restaurants would you recommend?

We thoroughly enjoyed Chef Mickey's and were disappointed in Hollywood & Vine. The H&V reservation was one of my few regrets on our trip, but a lot of that had to do with the poor choices my kids had for things to eat from the buffet. I might have felt differently if it were just hubby and I as the "adult" menu choices were interesting.

Chef Mickey's is pretty standard breakfast buffet fare, if you're looking for something a little finer dining I would suggest the breakfast at Trattoria al Forno at Boardwalk, or one of the AK restaurants.

As you can see, this is a very subjective question. We enjoy both Chef Mickey's and Hollywood & Vine. And as two adults, we don't care much about the characters.

Between the two, I would be inclined to choose the Minnie holiday dinner at Hollywood & Vine because its something unique only offered this time of year. Its also easier to get to, assuming you are doing it on your DHS day. And assuming you're not staying at the Contemporary.

Honestly, they’re pretty similar. I’d pick the one that fits better into your plans. Our first 3 trips we were happy with dinner at CM, but last trip I was very disappointed in seating, service, and food. My kids love it though.

I had a very lovely breakfast at garden grill last month. The characters there are super playful. The food was really good

It is aycte served family style
A big as your head cinnamon roll, fruit salad, regular breakfast fare. It was hot and fresh and the server was awesome! That is my favorite breakfast character meal. It’s nice too to not get up for food and I love that the restaurant turns so you see part the land boat ride.

Tucker’s house is my other favorite. I love a late bfast seating and can have both bfast and lunch options.

Thanks! Do those other places offer character dining?

Trattorio is a character breakfast with Ariel and Rapunzel, Tusker House does a breakfast with the Fab 5 in safari gear! It's a good idea to look at the menus (either on the Disney site or on touring plans) to make sure you would like the food being served.

Thanks! Yeah it is hard and I understand it’s more about the characters then the food at these locations just try to figure out the lesser of the two evils. What restaurants would you recommend?
Tusker House.

We have reservations for Chef Mickey breakfast as well as the Minnie Holiday dinner at Hollywood and Vine. It will be my husband and I and our three year old. I have read mixed reviews on both and the price difference between the breakfast and dinner is nominal. I am trying to decide between the two. Any feedback or suggestions would be welcomed! Thanks!

We really enjoy Chef Mickeys. It is a must do every trip. It is tradition that my son picks out a t shirt in the gift shop at the contemporary then all the characters sign the back while we are at dinner. He's done it the past 4 years in a row. We leave Monday for this years trip and he's already asked me what day we are going! We thoroughly disliked Hollywood and vine. It was so bad (atleast that day, for us) that we will probably never return.

Also, Tusker House has fantastic breakfast. We do that every year as well. Even though it's the same characters, it's neat to see them in safari gear!

Chef Mickey's is really hectic and chaotic. I found H&V to be much quieter and they characters are really cute in their holiday attire. Food is decent in both.

I love Tusker House if you get a chance to go there, but it sounds like your plans are pretty soon so have fun. I am sure it will be great whichever you do.

I would vote for Chef Mickey's breakfast. We did both last trip and Chef Mickey's was good breakfast food. I feel like you can't really mess that up. Now the dinner at Hollywood and Vine felt *food wise* like a Golden Corral. But the characters do look super cute. Character interaction was good at both. We saw the characters only once at Chef Mickey's but several times each at Hollywood and Vine.

Both places tend to get very mixed reviews but it sounds like your goal is to pick between the 2. Having said that ... I tend to pick things that fit easiest into our plans of the day, where we are staying, travel considerations etc.

Unless you are staying at the Contemporary, I would not make a special trip there for breakfast at Chef Mickey's if you have a park day planned. If you already plan to spend the day at Hollywood Studios, then Hollywood & Vine seems like the better choice. The Holiday and Dine is also unique to this time of year so characters will be in holiday attire whereas Chef Mickey's is the same year round.

Mixed reviews exist for every restaurant at Disney. Character meals are about the character experience...not the meal. Chef Mickeys Breakfast. It's nicer than dinner and provides a Disney icon experience/memories. H&V no icons...not as memorable as Chef's. Your choice, but reviews are always mixed and I prefer to dine with Mickey and Goofy than others. :)

I'm not a huge buffet fan, but I think breakfast is harder to mess up than dinner so I would choose the breakfast at
Chef Mickey's.

I also think part of the issue wth the mixed reviews is that some people are reviewing breakfast and some dinner. For example, I found breakfast at Chef Mikey's to be not bad, but dinner I would never do again.

Chef Mickey’s for sure. H&V is the only restaurant in all of WDW we will NEVER return to

We just had lunch at H&V this week. We were happy with the food (went in with low expectations, but there was a good "holiday" selection), and the characters were super cute all dressed up!

We had lunch at Hollywood and Vine 10 days ago. I found several dishes that I loved, and my picky daughter managed to find plenty to please her. The character interactions were wonderful, and they looked so cute in their holiday outfits. Daisy Duck stole my heart when I saw her sitting on the floor spending time with someone's toddler. Our server was attentive and made sure we saw every character. We had to wait a few minutes past our reservation time before we were seated but not terribly so.

We just did dinner at H&V on 12/12... and it was one of our favorite meals... the character interaction was fantastic.. and the food was good. We walked in there expecting the absolute worst with some of the reviews.. but it was great.. we raved about the flank steak.. and the sweet potato casserole was one of my favorites! My 2.5 yo ate up the corn and chicken nuggets.. and some of the desserts were yummy too!! Plus Santa goofy and all of the characters in their holiday finest was just adorable!!!
I didnt go to Chef Mickeys so I cannot compare..
But we did do Minnie's Beach Bash breakfast at Cape May Cafe in Beach Club on 12/14 and that was great as well!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts