HOLLYWOOD Facts and Helpful hints for Tourists from Locals

Thanks so much FairyCat for starting this thread! And congratulations on getting a Sticky!!!:thumbsup2

Okay, this is SUCH a touristy question that I'm almost afraid to ask...BUT

Where is the famous In and Out Burger that the stars always go to? Which Starbucks is their favorite? and Which one is the location that celebrity gossip reporter 'Perez Hilton' hangs out? :confused: Okay, I did it... but I'm sooooooo embarassed.

Thanks for all of the info. We are going to Hollywood in mid-May and this thread helps a lot.
We are staying in a budget hotel a ways down on Hollywood BLVD. We are traveling in a group of 7. On day 2 we wanted to head over to Universal but have an elderly couple with us whom do not want to go with us. Is there a way to get to Griffith without a car or is there something that would entertain them for the day while we are out? I thought they might like the Autry museum or the Observatory but am not sure if they are close or not since Griffith Park is a large park. Universal does close at 6 the day we are going, but I feel bad for leaving them. (they decided to join us after plans were made)
I thought about having my Uncle drop us off at Universal then they could sight see, but he is in his mid seventies and I am not real sure if he would feel comfortable about driving.

Thanks so much FairyCat for starting this thread! And congratulations on getting a Sticky!!!:thumbsup2

Okay, this is SUCH a touristy question that I'm almost afraid to ask...BUT

Where is the famous In and Out Burger that the stars always go to? Which Starbucks is their favorite? and Which one is the location that celebrity gossip reporter 'Perez Hilton' hangs out? :confused: Okay, I did it... but I'm sooooooo embarassed.

To be honest I have no idea, I am not a big celebrity watcher, but maybe some one else will know. I do know that Corpsebride mention one of the coffee shops that serves the stars.

I also think with the amount of Peets, Starbucks and Coffee Beans in Hollywood and the surrounding areas it might be hard to use them as a base to see stars.

To be honest most of the star sighting I have had were at events, amusement parks, concerts or 3rd Street Promande. I also rarely reconized the people.

Thanks for all of the info. We are going to Hollywood in mid-May and this thread helps a lot.
We are staying in a budget hotel a ways down on Hollywood BLVD. We are traveling in a group of 7. On day 2 we wanted to head over to Universal but have an elderly couple with us whom do not want to go with us. Is there a way to get to Griffith without a car or is there something that would entertain them for the day while we are out? I thought they might like the Autry museum or the Observatory but am not sure if they are close or not since Griffith Park is a large park. Universal does close at 6 the day we are going, but I feel bad for leaving them. (they decided to join us after plans were made)
I thought about having my Uncle drop us off at Universal then they could sight see, but he is in his mid seventies and I am not real sure if he would feel comfortable about driving.

I would look into a livery car or something if they don't want to drive, because though you guys can take the train to US, there is nothing like that to take you to Griffith. A taxi is another option but it will be expensive.

The only plus is that most of the driving from Hollywood to Griffith is that it is almost all city streets so he shouldn't have to deal with the freeways.

I did a little searching and did come up with another plan for them. Maybe they can take the Metro Red Line to Union Station. It is a beautiful old train station, from there they can go see Olvera Street which is across the street and china town is up one block. I see that Olvera offers free Docent tours too. This area of LA is pretty nice and pretty safe though I would not travel much further into LA and would skip some of the districts, which get near to Skid Row. It might be a nice day to see some of the local offerings.

The best part is they can take the Redline back to meet you at US, even if they chose to stay in Hollywood for the day. The redline I have heard is very nice (possibly since not too many locals use it :confused3 ) I have heard it is also very convienent.

I would look into a livery car or something if they don't want to drive, because though you guys can take the train to US, there is nothing like that to take you to Griffith. A taxi is another option but it will be expensive.

The only plus is that most of the driving from Hollywood to Griffith is that it is almost all city streets so he shouldn't have to deal with the freeways.

I did a little searching and did come up with another plan for them. Maybe they can take the Metro Red Line to Union Station. It is a beautiful old train station, from there they can go see Olvera Street which is across the street and china town is up one block. I see that Olvera offers free Docent tours too. This area of LA is pretty nice and pretty safe though I would not travel much further into LA and would skip some of the districts, which get near to Skid Row. It might be a nice day to see some of the local offerings.

The best part is they can take the Redline back to meet you at US, even if they chose to stay in Hollywood for the day. The redline I have heard is very nice (possibly since not too many locals use it :confused3 ) I have heard it is also very convienent.

Thanks for the advice on the red line. I thought about looking up somethings they can get to look that but didn't know where to start. I don't want to sound silly, but could you explain what a livery car is. I am from the midwest and have never heard of that term.

Thanks for all of the other advice!

Thanks for the advice on the red line. I thought about looking up somethings they can get to look that but didn't know where to start. I don't want to sound silly, but could you explain what a livery car is. I am from the midwest and have never heard of that term.

Thanks for all of the other advice!

Livery Car is like a Limo service but with cheaper Town Cars. Basically you get a driver but with out the extra fancy car :)

To be honest I have no idea, I am not a big celebrity watcher, but maybe some one else will know. I do know that Corpsebride mention one of the coffee shops that serves the stars.

I also think with the amount of Peets, Starbucks and Coffee Beans in Hollywood and the surrounding areas it might be hard to use them as a base to see stars.

To be honest most of the star sighting I have had were at events, amusement parks, concerts or 3rd Street Promande. I also rarely reconized the people.

Actually, I didn't really care about 'seeing' the celebrities either :cool2: .
I just thought that my daughters would get a kick out of having a burger and a coffee at the same 'hang outs' as the rich and famous. :cool2:

Actually, I didn't really care about 'seeing' the celebrities either :cool2: .
I just thought that my daughters would get a kick out of having a burger and a coffee at the same 'hang outs' as the rich and famous. :cool2:

I totally get that haha!!

Then try Corpsebrides suggestion
The coffee bean and tea leaf ON SUNSET. You may see some famous faces here too!

More coffee try Peet's on Sunset

The In-n-Out you probably are talking about is also on Sunset
http://www.in-n-out.com/location_details.asp?id=102
I won't lie I thik everyone should try In-n-Out even if you don't like it, you have to apreciate how fresh there stuff is.

Like I mentioned before try Pinkberry!! There is one on Sunset and one on Melroses near Pink's Hot Dogs.

Want to go where the stars go try Pink's Hot Dogs and then go around the corner for Pinkberry yogurt for dessert!

Hope this helps!
Sorry on the Starbucks, there are so many I say pick one on Sunset or Melrose and stars probably visit there. But many of the cool people prefer Peet's or Coffee Bean. But I am biased cause I also love Peet's :rotfl:

ok I can ignore it no more

Melrose Avenue!

A street located off Highland avene it was made famous obviously by Melrose Place but this street has been well known way before Heather lived in her fab flat. It still has a little of its funky counterculture flair but mixed in with trendy clothing shops.

Ok Guys or those who blush easily might want to skip this next section ;)

First this area is known for two famous Lingere Shops the first though not on Melrose (its on La Cinenega right off Melrose) is Trashy Lingerie the other is Retail Sl*t (site includes NSFW language) these two stores are known for their celebrity clientel, have been featured on TV and have interesting offerings. Including costumes. Trashy is not opened to the public without a membership ($5 a year). But worth it since you never know who might also be shopping.

Ok now everyone back?

Melrose besides shopping, which there is lots to do of that! There are also famous food places to eat.

My personal favorite

Johnny Rocket's a burger joint with a 50's style. They have good food and my favorite part is that the Melrose shop has a patio where you can sit right on Melrose and do some great people watching.

As I mentioned before just off Melrose (I mean RIGHT off) on La Brea is Pink's Hot Dogs this place has been featured in Movies, on the Food Network and more. The stars eat here, normal people eat here, and some travel just to eat here. It can have long lines but I hear many say its worth it even if just for the experience. (Note: as a long time veggy I have never eaten here, but I know lots who have).

Around the corner is the second Hollywood location of Pinkberry again I mention this because this is a very Hollywood place, and its something you will only find in LA and NY. It's yummy frozen yogurt and a great dessert to your hot dogs.

Drive down the street and stop and see the sights as you like. The only hint, as Corpsebride and I joked READ THE STREET SIGNS!! Sometimes you will find meter parking on the street, most of the time you will find more parking on side streets. These sides streets have the most signs. Before 6pm you should be fine, after that watch out for permit only, you will get a ticket!

You also can find fun CA architecture on these streets, with all the classic 20's bugaloos, that are famous part of the history of hollywood. Many of these homes have been little changed since they were built all those years ago when it was still "Hollywoodland"

As to Universal Personally if I am staying near H&H I would take the train. Otherwise do not take the freeway at Highland! If you get on the 101 there at Highland you will end up in the far left lane and it will be very tough to cross over in two exits. I would suggest using these directions so you can enter on the right side of the freeway or you might have a hard time.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

It shouldn't take you too long from H&H to get to USH.

Hope that helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Note: I use Googlemaps a lot cause on average it is not as terrible as MapQuest. I have only had Google be wrong on me once, and we will not discuss how many times Mapquest has screwed me.

Thanks for the info, it was very useful. The links though just take me to the main Google maps page. Could you possible just explain how to get to the right hand side entering freeway part?
Thanks so much.

Thanks for the info, it was very useful. The links though just take me to the main Google maps page. Could you possible just explain how to get to the right hand side entering freeway part?
Thanks so much.

Stupid thing! :confused3

Basically as you head up Highland you can turn onto Cahuenga Blvd/Barham, you actually can take this too Universal Studios Blvd, which will take you to the park no freeway. This is actually the best way. (I knew there was a street that did this no freeway :) ) NOTE: if you use googlemaps they will put you on the freeway, you have to adjust the route by pulling the line to the right side road to get these directions.

If you take the freeway getting on at Highland you will end up in the fast line with approx. 6 (8?) lanes to cross in a short time to get off the Universal Exit you need, its not safe and with traffic can be very tough. Its just safer and easier to take the city streets. This is one of the few on-ramps in So Cal that drop you into the fast lane instead on entering on the right into the slow lane, and almost all freeway exits are on the right also.

Thank you so much for all the great information! :thumbsup2 May will be our first trip out to California and I am so excited already! :yay:

fairycat/corpsebride - Can either of you suggest any good tattooists out in Hollywood? :confused3 DH really wants to get some more ink during our visit. :)

Thank you so much for all the great information! :thumbsup2 May will be our first trip out to California and I am so excited already! :yay:

fairycat/corpsebride - Can either of you suggest any good tattooists out in Hollywood? :confused3 DH really wants to get some more ink during our visit. :)

What style? What is he looking to get??

While there are amazing artists in Hollywood, they also like to charge amazing prices for their amazing locations. I have seen ok artists charge 3xs the money simply because their address is in Hollywood. I tend to go outside LA for great work.

One other thing if he gets new ink do it towards the end of the trip, because he will not be able to swim (ocean or pool) or get too much sun. Which cuts out some of the coolest stuff to do in CA!

I have not been tattooed by her yet but I have met with Tiffany from here and if things work out I might be getting work from her when my other projects are done :)
http://www.outerlimitstattoo.com/long.html

My friend recently got work from Konstaine at Velvet Grip in West Hollywood, he seemed really nice and starts at $150 an Hour for custom work.

If you happen to be driving to Las Vegas on your trip I know three shops on the way. (though two use the route to Vegas from LA)

This Guy in Apple Valley who does stuning work I saw one of his back pieces based on a Renaissance Painting and just drooled!
http://www.ignitiontattoo.com/portfolionikko.htm

I go to these guys
http://www.psychocitytattoo.com/
http://www.americanmadetattoo.com/

Make sure you contact the shop before you come into town, so you can make sure the artist is available. Many good artists have months long waiting lists.

What style? What is he looking to get??

While there are amazing artists in Hollywood, they also like to charge amazing prices for their amazing locations. I have seen ok artists charge 3xs the money simply because their address is in Hollywood. I tend to go outside LA for great work.

One other thing if he gets new ink do it towards the end of the trip, because he will not be able to swim (ocean or pool) or get too much sun. Which cuts out some of the coolest stuff to do in CA!

He's hoping to get a portrait of our daughter - ideally he would love to go to High Voltage and get inked by Kat von D! :worship: I've tried contacting them via their website, but keeping getting an error message! :headache:

We won't be going outside of LA - we're only in town for 5 nights (after a cruise) and will be staying at DL. But... we can't travel all this way and not visit Hollywood, now can we? ;)

He's pretty heavily tattooed already so he knows to wait until the end of our trip. I just know DD will want to spend some time chilling out at the hotel pool, and he would be pretty bummed if he had to sit at the side-lines and not get in and splash around with us! :rotfl:

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. TIA. :hippie:

He's hoping to get a portrait of our daughter - ideally he would love to go to High Voltage and get inked by Kat von D! :worship: I've tried contacting them via their website, but keeping getting an error message! :headache:

We won't be going outside of LA - we're only in town for 5 nights (after a cruise) and will be staying at DL. But... we can't travel all this way and not visit Hollywood, now can we? ;)

He's pretty heavily tattooed already so he knows to wait until the end of our trip. I just know DD will want to spend some time chilling out at the hotel pool, and he would be pretty bummed if he had to sit at the side-lines and not get in and splash around with us! :rotfl:

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. TIA. :hippie:

Since you have to pay to get a tattoo at High Voltage if you are filmed for the show or not have you tried this link

http://www.highvoltagetattoo.com/contact.html

Since you want a Portrait she might want to do it, its funny since my friend had Kat do a small piece for her years ago and when she mentioned who I never realised it was the same girl till recently.

My cousin went to the shop when she was down here last, they said it was a little tough to find, but they did find it in the end. While they offer walk ins I would think it very rare for Kat to be there when they aren't filming.

Outer limits is also in Anaheim and Costa Mesa (on the way to the Beach about 20 minutes from DLR) http://www.outerlimitstattoo.com/

Its been a while but I also have friends who got some ok work at Purple Panther on Sunset http://www.purplepanthertattoos.com/artists.html

Stupid thing! :confused3

Basically as you head up Highland you can turn onto Cahuenga Blvd/Barham, you actually can take this too Universal Studios Blvd, which will take you to the park no freeway. This is actually the best way. (I knew there was a street that did this no freeway :) ) NOTE: if you use googlemaps they will put you on the freeway, you have to adjust the route by pulling the line to the right side road to get these directions.

If you take the freeway getting on at Highland you will end up in the fast line with approx. 6 (8?) lanes to cross in a short time to get off the Universal Exit you need, its not safe and with traffic can be very tough. Its just safer and easier to take the city streets. This is one of the few on-ramps in So Cal that drop you into the fast lane instead on entering on the right into the slow lane, and almost all freeway exits are on the right also.

Thank you so much for the info. I looked at the route on live maps and it looks quite easy to do. We will have our sat nav with us so as soon as we do not take the freeway it will recalculate the route anyway!
Thanks again

I am going to skip outside Hollywood a bit today and talk about Pasadena. In my opinion Pasadena is the city that I like to think people see when they think Southern California!

Pasadena is famous of course for their New Year's events the Rose Bowl and Tournament of Roses Parade. If you are in the area for NY's these are great events to see.

Even if you are there a few days after the Year turns if you can go see the floats. Every year they put the floats on display so you can walk up and see all the detail work on these beautiful floats. Typically they are on display for 5-7 days into the new year. They are pretty amazing.

Besides football the Rose Bowl also offers other events, including a huge flea market.

The nice thing about Pasadena is its ability to be a walking city. There is lots of paid parking that is easy to find with lots tucked on every side street. So drop off the car and pull on a comfy pair of shoes.

Colorado is the most famous of the streets and has lots to offer. Shops like Tiffany's (yes that Tiffany's) with its stunning vintage look facade, Crate and Barrell, and small shops.

The food in the area is amazing with Chains like Cheesecake Factory, Melting Pot and others you will also find lots of private owned places that offer every kind of food you could desire. You will also find juice, coffee (Equator just off Colorado in a funky shop lined Alley is the best), Pinkberry, and even Boba. These restaurants are mostly off Colorado but a walk up any of the side streets will offer you even more, I have tried lots of them and have always been pleased.

If you walk farther up Colorado from the 210 side you will also hit a small mall with more shops (Sephora!!), food like PF Chang's and a movie theater (that sometimes offers exclusive pre-premieres).

Besides the great shopping on Colorado and all the food just up the way you will also find the stunning Pasadena Goverment Buildings. These buildings are just amazing in size and style. They are so beautiful.

We spend a lot of time in this city and just adore it!!

Besides the great shopping on Colorado and all the food just up the way you will also find the stunning Pasadena Goverment Buildings. These buildings are just amazing in size and style. They are so beautiful.
Also there are numerous old "Arts and Crafts" style homes on the west side, such as the Gamble House, which you might recognize as Doc Brown's home in Back To The Future.

If you're not averse to public transit you can get to the west end of town via the MTA Gold Line Del Mar station. The Memorial Park station might be better for the other sites mentioned by fairycat.

Hmmm... I notice that the Gamble House site mentions that the Memorial Park station is closer (1.1 miles) than the Del Mar station (1.5 miles).

Also there are numerous old "Arts and Crafts" style homes on the west side, such as the Gamble House, which you might recognize as Doc Brown's home in Back To The Future.

If you're not averse to public transit you can get to the west end of town via the MTA Gold Line Del Mar station. The Memorial Park station might be better for the other sites mentioned by fairycat.

Hmmm... I notice that the Gamble House site mentions that the Memorial Park station is closer (1.1 miles) than the Del Mar station (1.5 miles).

Thanks for bringing that up!!! You are so right. I was writing this quick and skipped that part. Bad me hahaha!! Thanks for the addition!!

Feel free to add more as you think of anything too :)

We've lived in Hollywood for 2 years now, moving from North Carolina, and before that Maine. We love Hollywood and are dismayed by the fear of our neighborhood that is sometimes expressed on the boards! So great to see this thread started up...

The LA County Museum of Art has great free Jazz concerts Friday evenings in their courtyard April-Dec. There is a bar with drinks for purchase and a small full-service cafe if you want to eat. Here's a link: http://www.lacma.org/programs/FridayNightJazz.aspx

But even better than eating at the concert is waiting 'till after and heading down to Sofi to eat greek food on their twinkly little patio. Truthfully the food is merely good, while the setting is LA magic on a warm night. http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/81645/los_angeles_ca/sofi.html

I hesitate to even tell you of the best breakfast in Hollywood, because there's usually a line in the mornings as it is... But here goes: The Griddle Cafe. Don't be naive and just order a stack of pancakes-- you will be defeated without fail. Just get one lil 'ole cake and you'll be fine, I promise. Don't be shy, there's no single cake listed on the menu, but the waitstaff will be happly to comply. Or get your self a Kickin and Screamin Breakfast Taco. Or any of the French Toast options. Dudes, I love this place. http://www.thegriddlecafe.com/

And what about the Hollywood Bowl. Pick youself a nice concert on a warm night and what more could you want? http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/

Heathpack

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!