Hollywood Studios, no planning, one day 😬

jabuller

Earning My Ears
I know planning at Disney is key and even a large part of the fun for many, but I wanted to add a trip report that proves you can still do it all *mostly* with no pre planning required...yes even with Star Wars.

Original plans included relaxing at Bonnet Creek 12/21-28, spending time in the pools, hot tubs, lazy rivers, playing mini golf and shuffleboard, etc while also daytripping to some FL adventures we haven’t experienced yet (we did that too, kayaked Weeki Wachee and snorkeled with manatees), and visiting the various resorts. We did resort hop, where my kids enjoyed pin trading, checking out decorations, snacks, and hidden Mickey hunts, but predictably that turned in to the need to go to Disney, from everyone except my hubby.

knowing one day tickets are crazy expensive, knowing it’s one of the busiest weeks or the year, and knowing my kids wanted to visit one of the crazier parks, I still found myself at Disney Springs buying park tickets at 9pm on 12/23 for a Christmas Eve visit to HS.

I bought the tickets, immediately secured a FP Aerosmith at 845am (park open at 7), Little Mermaid at 10, and Muppets at 1145. We really only cared about the coaster FP. We ubered to the park from BC for less than the parking cost, were dropped off at 610am and park gates opened around 640am. Right at 7am I was able to get our boarding group (13) as we headed to SDD. We rode SDD and TSM and our boarding group was called back around 730am.

We did not go back right away, we went to the other side of the park and did TOT, then used our FP on Aerosmith, and because TOT had a short line (30ish min) we rode it again. We went to GE around 925ish and saw a crazy long line. The cast member told us the ROTR has broken down, so passes would be honored past the 2hr window. They expected it back up soon. We checked out the land for a bit, saw the line moving and hopped in. It took about 30-40 min to get through the line, but was moving the whole time. I have to say, as someone who knows nothing about SW, the ride was awesome.

After this ride all the wait times were all getting pretty long. We took an Uber back to the condo and my kids (8,10) took a much needed nap, as did mom and dad (11amish). Normally we are past the mid day nap phase, but the kids were up late the night before and up at 5am to get to the park around 6. Everyone napped, had a little pool time, had lunch, and I was able to get grab a FP for a 5pm TOT (my daughter is crazy for this ride). We ended up taking an uber from Bonnet Creek to Carribean Beach just to try the sky liners. Like the monorail, my kids looked at this as a ride as well. From an adult perspective it was nice to glide over and take it all in.

upon getting back into to HS we were pleasantly surprised to see many families heading out. We used our FP on TOT, rode single rider line in Aerosmith, did the alien saucers, TSM, and spent some time just enjoying the light shows once it was dark. We also visited with Santa, afterall it was Christmas Eve, stood in a pretty long line (60ish min) for Smugglers Run, and was able to secure another TOT FP. We closed it down watching Jingle Bam (pretty sure the name isn’t right here) and took an uber home.

I know it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea to have a day on the fly like that and that we skipped all the shows and character encounters, but we were following the kids lead with what they wanted to accomplish for the day. Overall we all had a great day and I’m happy I didn’t let all the talk of Christmas crowds, must do pre planning, etc scare us away.

Thank you sooooooo much for sharing!!!!! WE are doing the same type thing this coming week. I am a huge planner but since my oldest son is not coming as previously expected for his birthday I am looking to hit HS exactly same as you describe and then just relax! I am so happy to hear the kiddos enjoyed it!! Was the uber from BC to Carribean easy?

We never plan, we tend to make FPs while on the bus on the way to the park or while standing stand by line for a ride. We don't like having our day planned out more than a hour ahead. We make ADRs day of while walking around the parks. Caveat - we are two adults, have been going since my son was just shy of 3 and he just turned 39 this month. At first we went every other year since it took me two years to save, about 6 or 7 years ago, I started going at least once a year, one year went 3 times, most years went twice. My son has been going once a year now for about 5 years. We aren't ride centric, he has nerve damage in his spine so a lot of rides are out and we don't mind waiting in line if we want to ride something. We are actually going next month for a week the 20th-26th and I still haven't even bought tickets. I did book rooms about 2 weeks ago and did break our own rules and made 3 ADRs - tea at GF (for me) Olgas (cause you have to see it at least once) and the new restaurant at Riviera. The last two are on the same day. We do hope to ride ROR and since we are staying at Dolphin will just walk over there about half hour or so before park open each day if we have to.

Nice work. That's impressive for such short flash to bang. I wish I could let my hand off the wheel that much, but our trips are so sparse we try to make them count. Our trip this summer, I'm trying to make our plans super flexible. Yet here I am cruising random DIS boards 6 months out from our arrival date...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter