Holy moly

katyringo

DIS Veteran
I didn’t really 100% believe the whole Monday passholder thing until day. The single rider line for RSR was giant... and having been here all weekend I noted to my husband the change in the crowd *type that was now in the park. (Not bad just a different crowd... less touristy). Parks were busy!

I went on a random Monday in July and told my self never again (although I did go Labor Day and that was oddly fine)...but regular Mondays are brutal at DL!

Any tips from the veterans in how to handle a Monday? We will be in the DL-DCA from Sunday-Wednesday. We were originally thinking to take Monday as an "off day," but the 4-day hoppers were only a few dollars more than 3-day hoppers, so we'll do something in the parks on Monday, but no big goals. Our Monday will be a 9 am open for both parks, with 8 am EE for DCA (we are not eligible).

On a Monday, would it be best to start in DCA despite EE? Will the first hour still be decent? Are there things that "regulars" tend to focus on more, vs. the touristy crowd?

Thanks!

EE at DCA doesn't have as much of an impact as it does at Disneyland as it's only available to those staying in a Disney owned hotel. Even without EE for DCA you'll still be able to get into the parks slightly earlier than DL and will be able to start booking maxpass. Most people will head to RSR for rope drop so if you head towards Pixar Pier you should have fairly low crowds. Unless schools are on break while you're there most passholders won't show up until the afternoon/evening so mornings at both parks should be fairly pleasant and crowds will grow from there.

Any tips from the veterans in how to handle a Monday? We will be in the DL-DCA from Sunday-Wednesday. We were originally thinking to take Monday as an "off day," but the 4-day hoppers were only a few dollars more than 3-day hoppers, so we'll do something in the parks on Monday, but no big goals. Our Monday will be a 9 am open for both parks, with 8 am EE for DCA (we are not eligible).

On a Monday, would it be best to start in DCA despite EE? Will the first hour still be decent? Are there things that "regulars" tend to focus on more, vs. the touristy crowd?

Thanks!
I really wouldn’t start in DCA. All the lines are already filled with people by he time you can get in so it almost defeats the purpose of doing rope drop.

We did rope drop on an EMH Monday (we didn't have access to EMH) at DCA in July - the lines of EMH folks were negligible. In fact, for an 8:00 park opening, we were on and off of standby GotG by 8:07.

We should arrive at the Best Western across the street from DL at around 3-4pm on Monday, Dec 3. We wanted to hit one of the parks for a few hours, with no major goals except to walk around and get a few snacks. Maybe ride a couple of rides if Maxpass are available. Which park do you think would be a better bet?

We have 5 day hoppers with Maxpass, and will be there all day Tue - Thu, then a half day Friday. So not a whole lot is riding on Monday. But I’d definitely like to hit the park that will “feel” less crowded.

We should arrive at the Best Western across the street from DL at around 3-4pm on Monday, Dec 3. We wanted to hit one of the parks for a few hours, with no major goals except to walk around and get a few snacks. Maybe ride a couple of rides if Maxpass are available. Which park do you think would be a better bet?

We have 5 day hoppers with Maxpass, and will be there all day Tue - Thu, then a half day Friday. So not a whole lot is riding on Monday. But I’d definitely like to hit the park that will “feel” less crowded.
DL. It’s open later and has more MP options. Crowds will be pretty evenly dispersed by that time.

If “feel” is important to you DCA will almost always feel less crowded because there are bigger walkways and a more open layout to the park.

Do we think the Monday thing is year-round or do we think it's extra bad because it's Holiday season right now? We've gone once on a Saturday during Holiday season and that was the worst I've ever seen Disneyland, crowd-wise. In fact, I'm not sure I would do Holiday season again based on that trip. If I did, I'd try to make the trip during the middle of the week, at least.

Do we think the Monday thing is year-round or do we think it's extra bad because it's Holiday season right now? We've gone once on a Saturday during Holiday season and that was the worst I've ever seen Disneyland, crowd-wise. In fact, I'm not sure I would do Holiday season again based on that trip. If I did, I'd try to make the trip during the middle of the week, at least.
The Monday thing is a year-round thing for sure. I was in the parks on Sunday and it was great! DCA a little busy for food and wine I think but friends said DL was dead on Sunday.

I think best advice is get there early and bang out as much stuff as you can. Stockpile FPs for the later afternoon/evening. Take an afternoon break. Maybe do a TS dinner since locals are more likely to do QS.

We did a Monday in early August and while it was crowded, it was fine for us. We rope-dropped DCA and stayed in the parks til almost 10pm but we got MaxPass for all the big rides we wanted and did standby for quite a few others. While we likely could have done more on a different day, it didn't negatively affect our trip at all. We also walked on RSR single rider twice in the morning with no wait at all.

If you're interested in more specifics, I wrote a trip report about our day! https://www.disboards.com/threads/one-long-monday-of-park-hopping.3697521/

If you just want to stroll and snack DCA has the Holiday Festival going on with a lot of food booths. You should definitely download the My Disney App for Disneyland if you don’t have it. You could check wait times for rides and even check if any MaxPass are still available? Or use the app and check what time the DL Holiday parade is. Maybe you can get there in time for the parade then use the app to mobile order some food. Check on MaxPass for DL rides and then get a bench and wait for the fireworks? But if less crowded is your main goal then probably DCA. Have fun !

I’m arriving at a similar time later this week. My plan is to watch frozen since I’ve never seen it. And get some food.

I’m arriving at a similar time later this week. My plan is to watch frozen since I’ve never seen it. And get some food.
They do a Great job with Frozen, the singers are very good. That theater is a great place to watch a show ! I would also recommend if your there Dec 1st or 2nd to watch The Candlelight Procession. It’s a great time to go they have the overlays for Haunted Mansion, it’s a Small World, a new parade, I don’t remember if Space Mountain has an overlay? DCA has the Holiday Festival going on but both parks have all kinds of holiday inspired food.
I’m in the area for work, and I can’t wait to see the Candlelight Procession !
Have Fun !

They do a Great job with Frozen, the singers are very good. That theater is a great place to watch a show ! I would also recommend if your there Dec 1st or 2nd to watch The Candlelight Procession. It’s a great time to go they have the overlays for Haunted Mansion, it’s a Small World, a new parade, I don’t remember if Space Mountain has an overlay? DCA has the Holiday Festival going on but both parks have all kinds of holiday inspired food.
I’m in the area for work, and I can’t wait to see the Candlelight Procession !
Have Fun !
Isn’t it practically impossible for normal park goers to see CP unless you stake your claim in the morning?
ETA: no space mountain overlay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter