• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Home from OKW (long)

mrsminniemouse

DIS Veteran
We got home on Saturday from our third DVC stay. As expected, this trip was also fantastic. We had 4 nights AKL savannah view then 16 nights at OKW. At OKW we had a friend join us for 5 nights mid trip so we were in a one bed the whole 16 nights but got the lock off next door during the time she was there. This worked really well and we were thrilled to be told on our first day we would not need to switch rooms when she arrived, just check in again and open the adjoining door.

We were in building 11 which we thought was wonderful. It was near to everything (pool, Olivia's, front desk, store) but it was still secluded and private. Our living room overlooked the 8th hole which was fun especially when DH played and DD 2 and I waved at him from the balcony! The room was very big, I wished I took the baby monitor so I could hear DD in the evenings! She was sooooooooo far away! DH and I bought the Lost DVD and watched that when she was in bed. Here in England we are still getting the first season so we enjoyed watching the rest of it before our friends. We also got to watch the season premieres of Desperate Houewives and series 2 of Lost! Woo hoo. Our friends are so jealous!

We liked everything about OKW. The room was great, the location was very good too. We drove everywhere apart from getting the bus to MK one day which was fine. We enjoyed getting the boat to DTD a couple of times but I must admit I found those bench seats on the boat so uncomfortable. You have to sit bolt upright? Anyone else find this?

When we put up the pack and play for DD, it was a bit grubby. We have always used the dark green ones at other Disney resorts. This was pale blue and very stained. DH called housekeeping, they came and looked and kindly found us a brand new boxed one to use. We were very grateful.

We visited our home resort SSR, a few times. I went to the spa for the Mystical Forest Therapies with DVC discount (heaven!) and we used the pool a couple of times. DD 2 likes the pool here best of all because of the slide, Donald splash pad and zero entry. We also went to Artist Palette a couple of times to grab a quick bite.

The parks were quiet so we did not wait long for anything. Highlights were Princess lunch at CRT, Wishes- my DD loves seeing Tink, Hollywood and Vine dinner buffet with Fantasmic. The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast shows were a massive hit with DD as were Kilimanjaro Safari, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise and Its a Small World. We all enjoyed the kiddie area at Typhoon Lagoon too.

All in all it was a fabulous trip- one of the best ever. It was DD's 5th trip and each time she loves it even more. She talks constantly about WDW and I have to go on the safari bus with her all the time. We sit on the floor and shuffle along on our behinds while she points out rhinos, tigers etc etc. So cute....

Many times DH and I commented on how delighted we were with our DVC. So far we have stayed at SSR. VWL and now OKW. We have loved them all.

HOpe this wasn't too long. Feel free to ask any questions.

Mandy ::MinnieMo

thanks for the trip report.

I love OKW - it is my home resort.

glad you enjoyed your stay.

Thanks. Glad to hear you had a good time. I am going to OKW in less than two weeks. :cool1: I am really looking forward to it! Maybe I'll ask for building 11. It sounds wonderful! I love DVC too. :goodvibes

What a wonderful holiday for you & your family! Thanks for taking the time to write a report!

Thanks for the trip report. You got to do one thing I've always wanted to do at OKW-wave to DH from the balcony while he's playing golf. DH and I tried to coordinate that last trip but it didn't work out. Oh, well-guess he'll just have to play again! Did you have anything good at Gurgling Suitcase?

Simba's Mom said:
Thanks for the trip report. You got to do one thing I've always wanted to do at OKW-wave to DH from the balcony while he's playing golf. DH and I tried to coordinate that last trip but it didn't work out. Oh, well-guess he'll just have to play again! Did you have anything good at Gurgling Suitcase?

DH kept saying he would play golf but did not get round to it until the day before we left. With the 30% AP discount it was less pricey than he expected.

I did not go in the Gurgling Suitcase but while in Olivia's I enjoyed a couple of Sultry Seahorses...mmmmmm. Also we took Olivia's Key Lime Pie back to the villa to eat while DD was in bed and Lost was on TV. A day in the park, a nice dinner, DD in bed, a quiet evening with DH and a key lime pie in front of the TV. What a dream.

Mandy ::MinnieMo

We are hoping to stay at OKW next August. We pool hopped over while staying at SSR last trip and I loved the whole atmosphere there and the way the pool, bar etc were in that lovely setting! We ate at Olivia's and had a few drinks at the Gurgling Staircase (I think I had a Sultry Seahorse too ;) )

Thanks for the report :)

Sounds like a great vacation!

Shhh! Don't tip off your friends about what happens on Lost! LOL!

Excellent recap of a 16 day relaxing vacation.

We love DVC and I'm glad you did, too! :goodvibes

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay at OKW, Mandy.

A day in the park, a nice dinner, DD in bed, a quiet evening with DH and a key lime pie in front of the TV. What a dream.

You're so right - life doesn't get much better!! :cloud9:

We enjoyed getting the boat to DTD a couple of times but I must admit I found those bench seats on the boat so uncomfortable. You have to sit bolt upright? Anyone else find this?

That was comfortable compared to the boat that tilts!!! :rotfl: Lucky it's not too long a trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter