Homecoming in Disney Springs? Worth it or should we do something else?

nesser1981

DIS Veteran
I got a ADR for Homecoming in Disney Springs, menu looks great, prices aren't bad, how is the food?

My 5 year old is really picky, any suggestions for him?

We're not doing the dining plan.

Or is there somewhere else you'd recommend for a family of 5?

We've done Ragland Road and T-Rex in the past.

We did Homecoming last month. The food isn't anything particularly good. And it's definitely not good southern food. I wouldn't go there again and wish we would've done something different.

The Edison is new and looks good with menu items good for picky eaters and it's family friendly until 10. Also, prices are less or equal to Homecoming.

Last edited:
When we lived near great, southern food, we skipped eating there because we could eat similar foods near home that were less expensive. Now that we aren't living in the south, I was anxious to get a southern food fix and Homecomin' did not disappoint. Everything I tried was fantastic, with the collards being one of the best things I've ever tasted. To be fair, though, we were guests of Art Smith so I don't know if that affected our service or anything.

If you live near great southern food, it may not be worth paying Disney prices for it.

We recently had a great meal at Boathouse, if you haven't tried that yet. We also LOVE Morimoto and our 5 year old niece loved it, too. I'm giving Edison some time to adjust - the food reviews so far are not great.

We had 2 very good meal at Homecomin ( lunch & dinner). We also enjoyed dinner at The Boathouse but it felt rushed. We were 2 adults so I don't know what was on the children's menu.

We did Homecomin' earlier this month, and for us it did not live up to the hype. Nothing was terrible, but we won't be going back for anything except for drinks as those were very good. Boathouse, Morimoto, and Raglan were all very good.

I much prefer Morimoto Asia and Frontera Cocina to Homecomin’. I’ve been to all three places many times. Homecomin’ is always just okay, while the other two places are usually excellent. I’d also recommend Boathouse and Raglan Road over Homecomin’.

Clearly from whats been written so far everyone can have their own experiences with any restaurant, so it really comes down to what you think you'd like best. Speaking from my perspective, we've been to Homecoming twice now and have loved it each time. Southern food isn't something we have a lot of access to some good ole fried chicken, collard greens, and biscuits is something we really enjoy and appreciate.

Not knowing what your 5 year old likes or doesn't like I'd say check out the menu first and see if there is something he would eat. My 6 year old isn't picky so she just ate fried chicken with me, but we did order the version with a donut so she was in heaven having a donut for dinner

You'll always get varying opinions on any restaurant, and so it is with Homecoming. For every person who enjoys it, you'll find another who doesn't. I fall in the latter category. While the food wasn't bad, it's very heavy (and expensive for what you get). Most everything is fried or loaded with fat (looking at you you mashed potatoes). The chicken, while juicy, appears to have some sort of sweet-tinged taste either from the batter or whatever they soak the chicken in before battering it. Wasn't a fan. That might be a variant of classic fried chicken in some places in the south, but none of the places where I grew up and have lived. The aforementioned potatoes were clunky--mostly a buttery fat bomb with bacon in them. . .a totally unnecessary feature if the potatoes are done well. The gravy on the potatoes was glommy and glue-like--didn't taste bad but was obviously laden with fat since it didn't run over the potatoes so much as cling to them. Deviled eggs were okay--of the six in the order, three were very good with a solid punch of piquant mustard and paprika. The other three were bland, and based on the coloring, appeared to come from a separate batch of filling. Donuts were very greasy, albeit tasty enough, and my particular meal also came with syrup. So, I had sweetish chicken, sweet donuts, and then syrup on top of that. Just not my idea of a quality fried chicken dish. Drinks were good, though. Ambiance is rather like an upscale Cracker Barrel.

Other options I'd prefer would be as a couple of others have suggested: Boathouse or Morimoto Asia. I prefer the latter of those two by a hair. Still, if your kid likes fried chicken and mashed potatoes, I suppose Homecoming would work. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. We decided to cancel our reservation and I think we're just going to do CS, that way I can be sure everyone gets what they want. If it were just the hubby and I, we'd do Homecoming for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!