Homeschool Chat Part III

We do a modified year round also which is why we only have (now) less than 3 weeks of vacation left. lol My kids were complaining but I had to remind them we do this so we can go on vacation. We will be in CA in August and Florida for 2 weeks in Sept. lol

:thumbsup2 One of my favorite benefits of homeschooling is being able to schedule breaks and travel when the weather is nice and other kids are back in school.

Another benefit is visiting places when the other kids go back to school and towards the end of their school year. We really enjoy our trips and visiting museums ect. in late August, September, October, May and early June. Counting down to schools opening back up and heading back to Disney World this fall!

My dd18 is starting community college in August (graduated homeschool in NY last year). We just moved from NY to FL 3 months ago. We had a crazy year and are now settling in here in Florida. I'm joining Florida Unschoolers 'private school' for my 16yo sons senior year homeschooling. Then who know what he'll do. He's a computer gamer, so something along those lines.

Computer gaming is probably the worst thing your son could do in school. Do something else with technology/computer scienece.

Computer gaming is probably the worst thing your son could do in school. Do something else with technology/computer scienece.

You sound like you're speaking from experience maybe? I don't really know anything about it. What are your thoughts?

You sound like you're speaking from experience maybe? I don't really know anything about it. What are your thoughts?

Being a good computer programmer would put your son in demand. Specializing in computer gaming still gives the programming knowledge, but can also require significant mathematical knowledge. Computer science + math should give him lots of career options. The programmers I know are doing quite well. However, I will say that lots of companies will hire only candidates with 2-3+ years experience, and your son may have to intern or work for a low salary for a few years to get that experience. After that, however, he should do well because good, experienced programmers are in high demand, at least in my area.

For reference, my husband (who was home schooled) worked a paid internship until he was 19, when he got a full time programming position at a low, but livable salary. He was even able to pay my college tuition so I could avoid loans. We did eat a bit of ramen though. He was with that company about a year before searching for a new job, landing one with about an 85% raise. His salary has continued to climb (not 85% a year, of course) since then, and we are now quite comfortable. He just needed a couple of years experience under his belt, and has absolutely no problem finding a new job (with higher pay) when he is not happy with one. He is also really, really good at what he does, and attends nearby professional conferences for networking, so that he even has standing job offers in case he needs them.

Being a good computer programmer would put your son in demand. Specializing in computer gaming still gives the programming knowledge, but can also require significant mathematical knowledge. Computer science + math should give him lots of career options. The programmers I know are doing quite well. However, I will say that lots of companies will hire only candidates with 2-3+ years experience, and your son may have to intern or work for a low salary for a few years to get that experience. After that, however, he should do well because good, experienced programmers are in high demand, at least in my area.

For reference, my husband (who was home schooled) worked a paid internship until he was 19, when he got a full time programming position at a low, but livable salary. He was even able to pay my college tuition so I could avoid loans. We did eat a bit of ramen though. He was with that company about a year before searching for a new job, landing one with about an 85% raise. His salary has continued to climb (not 85% a year, of course) since then, and we are now quite comfortable. He just needed a couple of years experience under his belt, and has absolutely no problem finding a new job (with higher pay) when he is not happy with one. He is also really, really good at what he does, and attends nearby professional conferences for networking, so that he even has standing job offers in case he needs them.

thank you! :)

We usually go later in May than the schools here so that we can start late in Aug/Sept. One of our favorite things to do is go to our neighborhood pool in August every morning while all the other kids are in school. :goodvibes It's still hot but it's so quiet and there's not all the noise like during the summer. It's awfully convenient to be able to plan our Disney trips for whenever we want instead of doing school breaks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!