Homeschooling Disney Families

Evilrubberducks6

of House Mouse, first of her name
We are a homeschooling family and we are headed to WDW in November! The last time we visited we were not homeschooling though. These days we are constantly trying to combine every day life with new learning experiences. I was just curious if there were any other homeschooling families on the forum.

Do any of you try to learn something new while you're on vacation? Epcot and Animal Kingdom seem like the more educational parks. Have you ever tried to incorporate parts of your trip in your lessons after coming home?

My son is homeschooled. He is 10 and Christmas was his first trip. After we got back we had a lot of lessons about the physics involved with the rides and experimented a lot with Lego builds. Also World Showcase is a lesson in itself. Lots of culture and world geography.

We also did extra magic hours at Epcot before park hopping to Hollywood. Used that to experience Nemo and the aquarium all to ourselves. Pretty awesome. The dolphins were out playing and my son was able to have complete attention of the keepers. There is so much you can teach while there as well as after.

Keep in my mind, if staying at a resort, it too may be utilized for education. Good luck!

We don't homeschool but there are so many opportunities to bring the learning home after the trip. Add money with decimals using your credit card bill after the trip to see how much the vacation really cost vs your budgeted expense....lol! Then divide how many months it would take to save up for another trip if you saved $X every month.

You could even work on creating a dining budget using the menus online before your trip.

We homeschool & will be going in November. He'll do some work on the way down (taking the train) but we will most likely just learn the day of without adding more stress to me by requiring extra learning after the fact. IF however, he finds something he wants to learn more about, we will definitely run headlong down any rabbit trails. We will be finishing up studying Africa this year so we will definitely be spending some time in the Animal Kingdom, & Morocco at Epcot. Otherwise, we'll simply be on vacation.

Homeschoolers here! :wave: First, as an FYI, there is a lady who puts together a BIG homeschool trip every year, including Disney YES classes as well some other educational experiences. Plus, discounted tickets!!! It is probably too late for you to change plans, but just in case, here is a link to this year’s trip: https://www.travelinghomeschoolers.com/disney-world/

Otherwise, we just let the learning occur naturally. Often I will take the lead in asking questions of the animal handlers in AK and the Epcot CMs in the different countries. And we just do lots of talking and asking questions. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much they learn! Have a GREAT trip!!!

We did several January trips while homeschooling (one more next January, even, although only one kid's still at home). We generally took it as a school vacation week, though. Occasional discussions as we went along, but no teaching goals.

Not a homeschooler, but educational travel has always been something our family has focused on. There are many resources out there. I would start with https://thesparrowshome.com/ultimate-guide-homeschool-disney/ which focuses specifically on Disney. Also, check out: https://www.disneyyouth.com/programs/education/youth-education-series/ and https://morethanahomeschoolmom.com/disney-educational-programs-for-kids/

Have fun--what a fun "curriculum!"

LOVE The Sparrow’s Home resource!!! Thanks for sharing!

ETA: She references the Disney Science videos, and I had forgotten all about those. My kids LOVED them, and they were fantastic to watch before going to the parks. The kids would then bring up some of the principles they learned from the videos on different rides or while doing activities.We found them at our local library.

Has anyone ever done the Exploring Careers in the Zoological Sciences classes at AK? Looking to pick a class for next year and this one says you get to go behind the scenes but I'm wondering exactly what you get to do! Thanks!

We're homeschoolers, and Epcot and AK are my favorite parks. But to be honest we don't bring supplemental material or anything like that when we go to WDW, even though I have on trips abroad and when we went to Alaska earlier this year, in part I guess because at WDW we tend to keep moving and there isn't time or space to stay in one place and fill out a worksheet about manatees or whatever. But I was thinking about getting my son a book about imagineering and the history of the parks since he is interested in game design and is old enough that seeing how the "sausage is made" so to speak would enhance rather than spoil the magic.

We have homeschooled for 6 years now and love going to Disney to learn,,!!!! We utilize the Epcot heavily. Between the countries, aquarium, and have loved innoventions....although the later has closed now I believe. We always find things to learn. We will be there in November as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter