Honest opinions about onboard shows on DCL Fantasy

I'm not a Disney Fanatic at ALL...and i love all the shows. To the point where i could
see them twice and skip dinner. However i was on youtube recently and someone posted
the Fantasy show updated (believe?) Oh i hated it. I do realize they need to update to
include new movies etc....

I wish they would have a show with just the classics.

Wish was a bit corny but I loved the Pinocchio remix song. Believe was less corny but also less interesting. Genie was hilarious I'm both.

Loved Lynn, the ventriloquist, the most.

The shows on the ships are similar in quality to what you get at the parks, just presented on a much smaller stage. I thought Aladdin on the Fantasy was great, but that show totally depends on how good the Genie is. The other two shows are just conglomerations of Disney songs. Just enjoy the music and try to ignore the lame story and transitions holding them together as a "show". I think the current shows on the classic ships are generally better. I would probably rate Dreams, Golden Mickeys, Frozen, and Tangled all higher than the shows we saw on the Fantasy.

The only show we love is Believe. The rest are good, but not must sees in our opinion. Interesting how everyone has different opinions :) Still fun to go to a show most nights although some times we just love to relax with the live music in one of the lounges. We usually see some older kids there as well relaxing.

Just enjoy the music and try to ignore the lame story and transitions holding them together as a "show".
That's the issue for me. No issues with the singing, but I need a story that is more than flimsy connective tissue between set pieces. It's like they had everything else in place, then remembered that they had to write a script.

I like all of the shows on the Fantasy. My family usually joins me for 1 or 2 of them (Aladdin is their favorite), but often I go alone while they go to the movie. I prefer stage performances and I don't get to see many at home, so I like seeing even the repeats on the ships.

I see here a lot of people don’t like believe. Yes it starts out real boring first 10 minutes or so but it gets good imo. Anytime they talk about the flower part is boring.

My wife and like stage shows in general. I like the songs and find the shows to be good overall, especially since you are on a boat.

Our kids love the shows.

We avoid all the shows like the plague when we are on board. They are not for us! We usually love heading to the Piano Bar and listening to the music over drinks. The piano players are usually really good and it's usually a really fun environment. DS is in the clubs 24-7.

For us they're "one and done". Saw them once, will spend that time doing something else (on the Fantasy on the 3/17 sailing). Probably on the veranda with an adult beverage and an All Hands on Deck from room service :drinking1

I liked Aladdin because of the genie. He was very entertaining. You can’t pay me enough money to ever sit through Wishes or Believe again. We’re doing our third go round in the Fantasy next month.

The first show I saw was Villains and hated it. I saw Toy story and vowed never again to set foot inside the Walt Disney Theater. After 16 cruises I broke my Vow and saw Frozen...loved it. Went back and saw Tangled and the Cinderella one....those were OK. I enjoyed Aladdin. It was probably my favorite. There was also another show with a dad and his daughter and a genie....cant remember which one it was, but it was ok.

On the Iceland Cruise they had a Abba cover band in Walt Disney Theatre that was pretty good.

The first show I saw was Villains and hated it. I saw Toy story and vowed never again to set foot inside the Walt Disney Theater. After 16 cruises I broke my Vow and saw Frozen...loved it. Went back and saw Tangled and the Cinderella one....those were OK. I enjoyed Aladdin. It was probably my favorite. There was also another show with a dad and his daughter and a genie....cant remember which one it was, but it was ok.

On the Iceland Cruise they had a Abba cover band in Walt Disney Theatre that was pretty good.

Believe

Solely my opinions, of course...

First off, the Fantasy is desperately in need of a new show. As for the shows, Wishes/Believe/Dreams are all way too sappy and follow the same exact formula (Believe is probably the most insufferable). Golden Mickey's as well, but not as bad. The shows based off the movies (Aladdin, Tangled, Frozen, etc.) are much better. I thought Villains Tonight was the best of them all - a position I know I'm pretty much alone on. Perhaps I caught a better performance than most as there did seem to be a decent amount of ad-libbing going on with some of the jokes and references.

Last edited:
My theater experiences range from Sesame Street Live to Broadway. So if Elmo is a 1 and Broadway is 10, I rate the DCL shows in the 6-8 range. The story lines are weak. The voices are usually stellar. The dancing is decent. And the stage effects are pretty well done.

The first show I saw was Villains and hated it. I saw Toy story and vowed never again to set foot inside the Walt Disney Theater.

I am probably not the target audience for this thread b/c I've sailed B2B on the Dream and went to Golden Mickeys and Believe on both cruises. However, I only managed one showing of Villains. However, on the Wonder I barely made it through Toy Story. Glad I never have to see that one again!

I'm not a Disney Fanatic at ALL...and i love all the shows. To the point where i could
see them twice and skip dinner. However i was on youtube recently and someone posted
the Fantasy show updated (believe?) Oh i hated it. I do realize they need to update to
include new movies etc....

I wish they would have a show with just the classics.

Now I'm concerned. I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed with the update too!

I thought Aladdin on the Fantasy was great, but that show totally depends on how good the Genie is.

I think what bothered me with the Fantasy shows is that there are two shows with the Genie as a primary character. It was a bit too much for my taste. But I completely agree that those shows totally depend on how good he is.

Last edited:
I guess I'm easy to please with the shows. On our first cruise we were blown away with Toy Story - because the guy playing Woody was so amazing (found out later we know his Dad and after that year on Disney he went to NY and has had a starring role on Broadway for some time now). The next cruise we took was also on the Wonder, but Toy Story was not as great that time. So I think the talent each year changes and that can affect what we all think. Honestly I haven't hated any of them, but then I like Disney music. I agree that some of the storylines are a bit weak.

ETA: You shouldn't have to worry about getting flamed here for expressing your opinion. I'm glad you were willing to share.

Last edited:
We don't do the shows either, just not our thing (and I love a good Broadway show). We do late dining and use the show time to hang out at the pool when it's not crowded.

I always try to keep in mind that the shows on DCL are for my kids to enjoy. If DW and I happen to like it, all the better. Take a look around the theater and probably 1/3 of the people there are under the age of 10. I know my kids are largely interested in seeing their favorite characters on stage and hearing favorite songs they know by heart. They don't necessarily care about the story, or that it show is just scenes from different movies pieced together.

I do think the newer "single movie" shows are better and probably appeal much more to most adults. There is certainly a trend towards more of those type of shows.

Oh, and my least favorite show would have to be Twice Charmed. That one I would probably not sit through again. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter