Honeymoon trip!

Tygerlilly

DIS Veteran
We're spending 3 nights and 4 days at Disney as the first half of our honeymoon before we head over to Universal. I added the deluxe dining plan so we could eat what we wanted and not have to worry if we were going overboard on the first half of the trip. I know it isn't always the best value, but whatever, it'll be prepaid and I don't have to think about it anymore.

Anyway, I'm thinking we will want to do a good breakfast and a nice dinner each day (one day is *hopefully* devoted to F&W booths, which will be out of pocket). My fiance's one request is Shula's, which I don't think is DDP eligible, so we may make that our F&W dinner place.

So, I need recommendations on favorite breakfast and dinner places! We have 3 credits, so a signature is perfectly fine with us, and gives me an excuse to dress up just a little. Lol.

We did the Deluxe Plan last year and really liked it. We generally did a big breakfast or a super early (11:00) lunch and then a signature dinner. It worked out well. A couple times in the afternoon we got some fries or something to hold us over for dinner.

We really like Crystal Palace breakfast at MK and Garden Grill for breakfast at Epcot.

Our favorite signatures were Narcoossees and Hoop De Doo.

Breakfasts - Boma, Crystal Palace, Tusker House, Cape May, Whispering Canyon Cafe, and Trail’s End.

Dinners - Boma, Tony’s, BOG, Le Cellier, Chefs, and 50’s PTC. We also enjoy
Tutto Italia and Hollywood Brown Derby for lunch but are probably the same for dinner.

Use your snack credits at f&w!

I think you are also making it difficult to use your credits if you dine at Shulas. If that is critical maybe rethink the plan

You really need to create a logistics log of credits and how you plan to use them. Realistically

A ts late bfast or early lunch and signature dinner has you eating 3 courses twice a day. Allow 2.5-3 hours daily for Dining plus travel time. That’s a lot of time eating in such a short trip. Totally doable, but if you have Shikas, you have an extra 2 credits each to use.

Do the math, it might be better to use the almost $700 and pay out of pocket. Which also gives you the freedom to grab a hot dog instead of a 3 course meal.

Use your snack credits at f&w!

I think you are also making it difficult to use your credits if you dine at Shulas. If that is critical maybe rethink the plan

You really need to create a logistics log of credits and how you plan to use them. Realistically

A ts late bfast or early lunch and signature dinner has you eating 3 courses twice a day. Allow 2.5-3 hours daily for Dining plus travel time. That’s a lot of time eating in such a short trip. Totally doable, but if you have Shikas, you have an extra 2 credits each to use.

Do the math, it might be better to use the almost $700 and pay out of pocket. Which also gives you the freedom to grab a hot dog instead of a 3 course meal.

We are hoping for a good sit down dinner, most are going to be 2 credits, which is why I picked the DxDP. I just looked and Shula's isn't DDP eligible anyway, so we may just do that on arrival night. I forgot we could use snack credits on things at the food booths, so that'll be a cool bonus, although I'm guessing all of DF's credits will go to Mickey pretzels. lol.

We aren't exactly on a timeline or have anything we HAVE to do and actually enjoy taking time out of the parks to have a relaxing sit down meal. And I'm not worried about the money value of it, I just want it all prepaid to where we don't need to think about it. We also like trying different things and enjoy appetizers, so I know we will enjoy having the ability to each get an app, entree, and dessert to share bites of.

Also, maybe I misunderstand it, but I thought it was credits per NIGHT, which means we would get 3 credits each for 3 nights, so 18 credits total. Which means we'd be paying OOP at some point anyway. Or is it per day now?

We are hoping for a good sit down dinner, most are going to be 2 credits, which is why I picked the DxDP. I just looked and Shula's isn't DDP eligible anyway, so we may just do that on arrival night. I forgot we could use snack credits on things at the food booths, so that'll be a cool bonus, although I'm guessing all of DF's credits will go to Mickey pretzels. lol.

We aren't exactly on a timeline or have anything we HAVE to do and actually enjoy taking time out of the parks to have a relaxing sit down meal. And I'm not worried about the money value of it, I just want it all prepaid to where we don't need to think about it. We also like trying different things and enjoy appetizers, so I know we will enjoy having the ability to each get an app, entree, and dessert to share bites of.

Also, maybe I misunderstand it, but I thought it was credits per NIGHT, which means we would get 3 credits each for 3 nights, so 18 credits total. Which means we'd be paying OOP at some point anyway. Or is it per day now?

It's per night.

I would still strongly urge you to map out your credit use.

Say you arrive Sunday, here’s a sample breakdown
Dinner at Shula 18 credits remaining, 12 snack credits

Monday
Character meal midday 2 credits used, 16 remaining
Signature dinner 4 credits used, 12 remaining

Tuesday
F&W use 12 snack credits
Signature dinner 4 credits used, 8 remaining

Wednesdsy, checkout day, move to universal
Character bfast 2 credits used, 6 remaining
Signature dinner 4 credits used, 2 remaining

It will be very difficult to use your credits in the time at Disney. If you want prepaid put the money you would have spent on the dxdp on a gift card. Just some things to think about

We honeymooned at Disney in 2016.
For breakfast we liked Crystal Palace and Cape May.
For dinner we like Ohana, Le Cellier, Yak and Yeti and Be Our Guest.
Have Fun

We honeymooned at Disney in 2016.
For breakfast we liked Crystal Palace and Cape May.
For dinner we like Ohana, Le Cellier, Yak and Yeti and Be Our Guest.
Have Fun
I like to eat close to the park I am at for the day, but with a lot of credits I would do CRT, California Grill (the brunch if you can get it on a Sunday), Morimoto dinner, Jiko. I like Le Collier, but a lot of people think it is overrated. Monsieur Paul gets a lot of good reviews, but I have never been there. Tiffins is another place with good reviews where I have never been. At HS I like HBD.

Sorry cant speak to the dinning plan because I've never used it, but I have my honeymoon planned for next July and the first half is at Disney before going to Universal. Here are some of the ones we will be booking...

Breakfast:
Boma (Staying at AKV)
Kona Cafe
Tusker House
California Grill Brunch

Dinner:
Savor the Savanna: Evening Safari Experience
California Grill
Ohana
STK
Boathouse
Sanaa

Have fun and Congrats!

Deluxe Dining is per night of your stay so if I were you, I wouldn't plan to dine anywhere that didn't take the Dining Plan as there's really no way you could use all the table service credits otherwise on a short stay. It's also a lot of snack credits (2 per person per day) so definitely use all those up at F & W before you pay out of pocket for anything.

Lots of great breakfast places: Boma, Tusker, Crystal Palace, O'Hana, 1900 Park Fare, Kona. Some good 2 credit dinner options would be Hoop Dee Doo, Narcoossee's, Cali Grill, Yachtsmen, Jiko, CRT, Disney Springs (take your pick).

Last edited:
Boma brunch is our favorite breakfast spot by far, such a great assortment of delicious food. California Grill brunch was nice but we didn't like it as much as Boma. However, the atmosphere and view are really special.

Favorite dinner spot by far is Jiko, for food and atmosphere. Yachtsman has incredible steak and refined atmosphere. Narcoossee's is great too and can watch the MK fireworks from there. Hollywood Brown Derby, Tiffins, le Cellier all good as well. Haven't had dinner at Cali Grill, just brunch, but has good reviews. Flying Fish is on our list for next time. (as a reference, I am gluten-free, love meat, and don't eat seafood; husband eats seafood and meat)

I am a big fan of the dining plan, and I really like the Dx DDP, however I am not a fan of throwing money away, so before I book any plan I look at our dining choices. If you are paying OOP for anything when you are on the DxDDP, you need to revisit your choices.
I would invest a bit of time to take a hard look at your restaurant choices, your snack choices and the total cost of the meals you will book.

I use a simple excel spread sheet, list our ADR's in one column, the number of credits in another, the approximate cost of the meal in the third. It does not take long to see what plan if any, will suit the trip. When we plan a trip with DxDDP we book two TS a day, and one is a signature dinner. If we are not going to spend at least as much on meals alone, I will not book the DxDDP becuase money is going to be left on the table.

If you are planning to pay for at least one expensive meal OOP on the length of your stay, you are going to leave money on your table, so maybe book a signature lunch before you head to Universal.

I think that if Shula's is non negotiable, you need to make a plan to get your money's worth, and I do not mean you have to max the plan.

The cost isn't the issue. We plan to order what we want, when we want and try things we wouldn't normally allow ourselves to get. I know us, and I know if I were to pay OOP for this or with a gift card, we'd pick the reasonably priced meal instead of what we really want and skip trying the different appetisers that I know we would be interested in. My Fiance's one request is Shula's since he is a huge Miami Dolphins fan, it's non-negotiable.

I'm really just looking for recommendations on good places for breakfast and dinner, like I originally asked, since it seems most of the popular ones aren't getting the best reviews lately.

The cost isn't the issue. We plan to order what we want, when we want and try things we wouldn't normally allow ourselves to get. I know us, and I know if I were to pay OOP for this or with a gift card, we'd pick the reasonably priced meal instead of what we really want and skip trying the different appetisers that I know we would be interested in. My Fiance's one request is Shula's since he is a huge Miami Dolphins fan, it's non-negotiable.

I'm really just looking for recommendations on good places for breakfast and dinner, like I originally asked, since it seems most of the popular ones aren't getting the best reviews lately.

We are not trying to tell you how to spend your money, however since we have seen people come back with buyers remorse over dining plans, we wanted to be sure you understood the ramifications.

I understand the mindset of having my meals paid. I also tend to gloss over teh more pricy items if I pay OOP, I cannot get past the cost.

WIth that said, I will add that I do not look much at reviews. They are very personal, and whe I like may not mirror your choices. I liek Chef Mickey's and if you look at the reviews, they are in the weeds. I will not return to 'Ohana but it is one of the Dis favorites, so I always suggest people go and decide for themselves.

On a honeymoon trip, with the plan you have I would book Flying Fish for one meal. It is on the boardwalk and while kids are welcome, the atmosphere is More "adult." The food is excellent, and after dinner you can stop in Abracadabar, right next door.

I also suggest Tiffins in Animal Kingdom. We actually booked it for lunch, and I am almost, just almost, embarrassed that after one of the most delightful leisurely lunches we wandered into Nomads and spent a few hours there, enjoying delicious refreshing cocktails, ending that respite just in time to experience the Tree of Life come to nightlife.

If you give us a little more information we might have a more helpful dining strategy. For instance, where are you staying, and what parks beside Epcot are you planning to visit. I see you are there for F&W, so I would only book one meal that day, and use snack credits the rest of the day. Are you going to DIsney Springs? There are great choices there for dinner: Boathouse, Morimoto, are just two.

Congratulations and best wishes!

Favorite Breakfasts: California Grill brunch and Tusker House (do the breakfast/lunch combo at 10:30 a.m.)

Favorite Dinners: Yachtsman, Morimoto, California Grill

Would it be crazy to Uber or Lyft back to Shula’s during your Universal stay? It’s about $20 each way. Crazy vacation math, I know, but it might be worth it. Plus you can then fit in another Disney meal.

You mentioned Shula's but didn't say where you're staying. I've not used the dining plan so can't speak to value in that regard, but my favorite signature dinner is at Flying Fish at the Boardwalk. Beautiful ambiance, terrific service, delicious food. Of course the menu has to appeal to you (and it's more than fish) ... but that gets my vote. As for breakfast, if you were in the area, we really enjoy Ale & Compass (not sure I'd make a special trip)

Congratulations! Enjoy your trip!!

Have you considered putting the $700 on a pre-paid VISA - you would have it available and could eat what you wanted and then if left over, you would have it for universal

I would recommend Boma, Cape May, Tusker house, Garden Grill for Breakfasts

For Dinners - Narcossee, Jiko, California Grill, Yachtsman, Flying Fish

Congratulations!!

My favorite breakfast place at Walt Disney World is the Kona Cafe at the Polynesian Village Resort. Besides amazing dishes like Tonga Toast and Pineapple/Macadamia Pancakes, they have THE BEST COFFEE ON PROPERTY.

If you're interested in dinner shows, the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue at Fort Wilderness is a whole lot of fun, and they always recognize people in the audience who are celebrating special events.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!