Hong Kong and Tokyo and Disney Oh My: a Pre Trip Planning Report

Looking forward to your planning. This report got lost somehow. I must have forgot to watch the thread. Someday we will go to Japan. Hopefully within the next 5 years. I don't know when we would get to Hong Kong, because I could easily spend 3 weeks in Japan and not see all that I want. I have been a big lover of their culture since I was a kid.

Hi! I'm in!!
And having just got back from HK & Japan, can definitely weigh in a bit!
We would have loved to do more time in HK, but our day was full and we managed to get everything we wanted to done, our second city day was going to another island. One day in the park would totally be fine too!
-As for getting magic access, on top of the discounts, you also get priority seating at the shows, and for each ap you can take a total of 4 people (including you) in! So for FOLK & MWB you get seated a teeny bit earlier, and have priority to nicer seats. I met an instagram friend and he was able to do this for us for FOLK and we were as close as you could be front row, also only showed up 30 mins prior to showtime, it was a fantastic benefit and would cut down on your waiting for showtime too!
-Read more into food discounts, because even a quickservice meal there runs you $20 USD....RIDICULOUS. I got a plate of spaghetti & a can of cheap beer from the Hollywood Hotel and it ran me like $30....it's insane.

I'm doing Hong Kong Disney in August 2017

I fly into Hong Kong on a Tuesday night and then I was going to transfer to my hotel in downtown Hong Kong somewhere

I was going to do the harbor tour that night and then the next day on Wednesday do a city tour and then Thursday I was going to do an all day tour to see the Buddha and then Friday end with Disney Hong Kong and fly home Saturday

So basically it's four nights and then my last day of my trip is Hong Kong Disney about Friday but I'll probably just stay at the same hotel all four nights and not stay at a Disney hotel at all.

Thoughts?

Sounds good to me :thumbsup2

My only suggestion... I would consider staying at Disney on Thursday and Friday nights if your tour bus can drop you off there after the Big Buddha. It could even be worth leaving the tour in Tung Chung and taking the train from there (it's only one stop, then transfer to the cute little Disney train). Big Buddha, Disney and the airport are all within about 20 minutes of each other. Since you don't have very long in HK, seems like you'd be wasting a lot of time commuting. Not sure what time your flight is on the Saturday, but if it's early enough that it's not worth going back to the park that day, you could finish off your holiday nicely with a character breakfast and stroll along the waterfront/through the parklands.

I agree with Zanzibar's advice on both posts. Be aware the dolphin cruise rarely sees dolphins i have read but I have no personal experience. I can second seeing the Big Buddha takes up time but is a great trip. queues for the cable car can get huge by late morning so you really need to get there early. For the poster who only has one day for HK city though I'd be seeing that rather than heading out to Lantau. the jade market is near the temple street markets on the Kowloon side but only open during the day whereas the Temple st markets are on at night. lots of info on websites like Discover Hong Kong. i also have a HK TR in my signature links.

I would love to stay at the Hong Kong Disney hotel for that Friday night but $600 for one night seems outrageous.

Wow, yes $600 for the night is pretty expensive. It's not always that expensive, but just for one night on a Friday you might not get any great discounts. I'm guessing the Hollywood Hotel will also be expensive that night. Could be worth trying the Novotel in Tung Chung. That would be pretty convenient to everything on Lantau too.

I'm following!!! Planning to go to Asia next year too but not sure when, thinking Sept2017 too actually. But I'm waiting for my sister to tell me when her vacation is since I'm hoping we can go together! I want to go to Japan, HK and Shanghai but know that would take too much time. Need so much time for Japan itself! Hoping to get some planning ideas from here. I already follow Disneytouristblog so will definitely read up on his stuff on Asia. :D

April is a good time to visit Tokyo Disneyland. Definitely spend your time at Disney Sea; the artists for the Star Wars movie sets and other big production films at the time did the work and oversaw the local craftsman. Perhaps find a local friend who can buy you items in the Disney employee store; bunch of nearly expired food items costing a dollar among other things. The Hotel Miracosta still has some doors that open directly into the park without having to show a ticket. The Haunted Mansion is built over a real life Edo era cemetery. Perhaps the theme at the haunted mansion that spirits travel home with you originated from Japanese grave yards; they have a superstition to not look at the spot where all the untended grave markers are stacked. Of course I always find this the most interesting section.

The 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride has a hidden camera in each pod to monitor behavior like too much touchy feely.

I heard something interesting when doing the Undiscovered Future World tour last week. The CM was from China and had been to Tokyo Disneyland. She said that you had to pay for the monorail there, because it had multiple stops. She said it's Japanese law that it's transportation if it has multiple stops. That's why the train is just a loop with only one stop. Not sure if this is true; it was from a CM after all. However, I thought it was interesting.

The loop monorail at Tokyo Disneyland is privately owned by Tokyo Disney Resorts and the number of stops have nothing to do with the fare; it’s by distance and sometimes one can travel several stations in Japan and pay the minimal amount. What make the resort monorail unique is that it’s the only public transportation in all of Japan to have no driver; it’s controlled from a central location by a computer.

What creeps some longtime locals out is that Tokyo Disneyland is built over a several hundred year old cemetery that was vast. It was a place for the commoners and there weren’t many, if any, markers. Oriental Land Company just covered everything over with landfill. Kind of makes visiting the Haunted Mansion more real, especially at the end when the ghost goes home with you as this is a Japanese traditional belief if you take notice of an untended grave.

Sounds like a fabulous trip!
I'm going to third the "too much in one day" thought for Hong Kong. The Big Buddha trip will take half a day just on its own. Someone mentioned The Peak, its a great way to see the city view at night.
I used to go with my parents as a child but the last time I went was in 2011 so not that recent unfortunately and Disneyland has changed a lot since then.
If you're interested, here is a link to our day at the Big Buddha and our trip to The Peak. We caught the bus up and the tram down.

We were in Japan for 6 weeks last Dec/Jan so feel free to ask if you have any questions.

I am definitely going to read your report! That is too bad that the Big Buddha trip would take that long...the pink dolphin tour is supposed to be 4 hours. So that may be cutting it close...

I might PM you some questions about Japan later. We haven't looked too in depth about which other cities we want to do other than Tokyo.

Looking forward to your planning. This report got lost somehow. I must have forgot to watch the thread. Someday we will go to Japan. Hopefully within the next 5 years. I don't know when we would get to Hong Kong, because I could easily spend 3 weeks in Japan and not see all that I want. I have been a big lover of their culture since I was a kid.

Yeah I don't think we'll have near enough time, but it'll have to do :)

Hi! I'm in!!
And having just got back from HK & Japan, can definitely weigh in a bit!
We would have loved to do more time in HK, but our day was full and we managed to get everything we wanted to done, our second city day was going to another island. One day in the park would totally be fine too!
-As for getting magic access, on top of the discounts, you also get priority seating at the shows, and for each ap you can take a total of 4 people (including you) in! So for FOLK & MWB you get seated a teeny bit earlier, and have priority to nicer seats. I met an instagram friend and he was able to do this for us for FOLK and we were as close as you could be front row, also only showed up 30 mins prior to showtime, it was a fantastic benefit and would cut down on your waiting for showtime too!
-Read more into food discounts, because even a quickservice meal there runs you $20 USD....RIDICULOUS. I got a plate of spaghetti & a can of cheap beer from the Hollywood Hotel and it ran me like $30....it's insane.

I just commented on your trip report, that is so sad about all the pictures and notes :( and your computer, of course.

Yeah, one day in the city and one in the park is all we're likely to have. We just didn't want to sacrifice too many Japan days and we can't spend too long over there. Right now we're thinking 2 weeks.

I think we'll do the annual pass thing for HK depending on discounts for the hotels there. I really have my heart set on the new Explorer's hotel, hopefully it isn't outrageous and just maybe it will have a discount too like the others.

I'm going to have to PM you later about all your character resources for the parks, we're very into meeting the rare ones.

I'm doing Hong Kong Disney in August 2017

I fly into Hong Kong on a Tuesday night and then I was going to transfer to my hotel in downtown Hong Kong somewhere

I was going to do the harbor tour that night and then the next day on Wednesday do a city tour and then Thursday I was going to do an all day tour to see the Buddha and then Friday end with Disney Hong Kong and fly home Saturday

So basically it's four nights and then my last day of my trip is Hong Kong Disney about Friday but I'll probably just stay at the same hotel all four nights and not stay at a Disney hotel at all.

Thoughts?

Hey, we might be there about the same time!

Your plan sounds pretty good to me, one event a day.

I agree with Zanzibar's advice on both posts. Be aware the dolphin cruise rarely sees dolphins i have read but I have no personal experience. I can second seeing the Big Buddha takes up time but is a great trip. queues for the cable car can get huge by late morning so you really need to get there early. For the poster who only has one day for HK city though I'd be seeing that rather than heading out to Lantau. the jade market is near the temple street markets on the Kowloon side but only open during the day whereas the Temple st markets are on at night. lots of info on websites like Discover Hong Kong. i also have a HK TR in my signature links.

That sounds disappointing about the dolphin cruise, I'd hate to take up half the day then not even see any.

I'm following!!! Planning to go to Asia next year too but not sure when, thinking Sept2017 too actually. But I'm waiting for my sister to tell me when her vacation is since I'm hoping we can go together! I want to go to Japan, HK and Shanghai but know that would take too much time. Need so much time for Japan itself! Hoping to get some planning ideas from here. I already follow Disneytouristblog so will definitely read up on his stuff on Asia. :D

I think it makes sense to pick either China or Japan, unless you have unlimited time. Then you can add Hong Kong as a few day layover for either of the others.

April is a good time to visit Tokyo Disneyland. Definitely spend your time at Disney Sea; the artists for the Star Wars movie sets and other big production films at the time did the work and oversaw the local craftsman. Perhaps find a local friend who can buy you items in the Disney employee store; bunch of nearly expired food items costing a dollar among other things. The Hotel Miracosta still has some doors that open directly into the park without having to show a ticket. The Haunted Mansion is built over a real life Edo era cemetery. Perhaps the theme at the haunted mansion that spirits travel home with you originated from Japanese grave yards; they have a superstition to not look at the spot where all the untended grave markers are stacked. Of course I always find this the most interesting section.

That is a good suggestion about the cast member store. Now I just need to find me a cast member! :) Interesting trivia!

The 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride has a hidden camera in each pod to monitor behavior like too much touchy feely.

Hahaha I'll remember that ;)

Zanzibar has written a number of TRs on the HK section of the DisBoards. Might be worth checking out that section if you haven't already done so.

Mine is a little dated...it's from 2012 but it does cover 10 days in Hong Kong. Head to the second post for the quick links and the sections/areas of HK you want to check out.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/ho...he-yees-have-it-tr-finish-1101-07-09.2823458/

I've read all your and their trip reports. I'm sorry, I read them at work and I hate commenting on my phone so I rarely comment :(

I'm following too!

So happy to see this underway! We went to Japan in March/April 2015. We stayed one week in Yokohama and one week at TDR. That was a great trip! We've been to Japan four times prior to this trip and was able to meet my Aunts & Uncles in Kumamoto.

Look forward to reading more!

To the OP, I'm a fellow Buckeye and we will be visiting the parks in Tokyo, Hong Kong and Shanghai in October. We're doing the China ABD with a few days in Tokyo pre-trip. I'm curious if you have booked your airfare yet and which connections you're taking. I'm finding that part of things a bit overwhelming.

Laurie

This is definitely a bucket list thing for me! Can't wait to read more about your planning

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter