Hotel help in San Fran and Monterey

trish.

Mouseketeer
We will be in San Francisco for one night next month and then one night in Monterey.

I am looking at the Courtyard Marriott for SFO. Any thoughts on this?

We will have a car - I understand parking is crazy. Do you think we can walk to the Wharf from there? Ghiradelli Square? Any other ideas?

In Monterey, we are going to the Aquarium and will do 17 mile drive, the lone tree, etc. Just staying one night. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

There is the Holiday in on wave st. One block over from cannery row. Very much in walking distance. The aquarium is at the end of cannery row. They do not charge for the parking at the hotel. They also have free breakfast in the morning. Right next door is building that looks like a barn. It is a big antique store. I believe the address is 433 or 443 wave st. It was very clean and spacious. The staff is very friendly.

We will be in San Francisco for one night next month and then one night in Monterey.

I am looking at the Courtyard Marriott for SFO. Any thoughts on this?

We will have a car - I understand parking is crazy. Do you think we can walk to the Wharf from there? Ghiradelli Square? Any other ideas?

In Monterey, we are going to the Aquarium and will do 17 mile drive, the lone tree, etc. Just staying one night. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

If you're talking about the Courtyard off 101 a miles south of Candlestick Park, no, you definitely can't walk to the tourist sights from there. It's mainly an industrial park/office building neighborhood in South San Francisco, I think. I can't help you with hotel ideas since I live here, but I just wanted to give you a heads-up that any hotel that has "SFO" in its name will not be walking distance to anything you're interested in.

If you are looking to be near Fisherman's Wharf, you can't do better than the Columbus Motor Inn. Walking distance to the Wharf, North Beach, China Town, and cable car terminus.

It won't hurt to check out Betterbidding.com and Biddingfortravel.com for reported wins in the various zones in San Francisco.

Thank you! :banana:

I am liking the Holiday Inn on Wave Street - just looked it up and it looks great.

The Courtyard Marriott I was looking at is on Beach Street. Google maps shows it very close to the wharf, but not sure. ;) It's been 15 years since I have visited SFO.

And the Columbus Motor Inn has great prices. Thanks. :)

Sorry - I was a travel agent a zillion years ago and sometimes I still abbreviate a city to it's airport code. I just realized I probably confused people without meaning to. It was just easier to say SFO instead of typing out San Francisco. Sorry for that! :goodvibes

Sorry - I was a travel agent a zillion years ago and sometimes I still abbreviate a city to it's airport code. I just realized I probably confused people without meaning to. It was just easier to say SFO instead of typing out San Francisco. Sorry for that! :goodvibes

You're right, I was confused.:) Around here, SFO only means one thing--the airport!

Driving through 17 mile dr. stop at pebble beach and if you go through the club house you can go out on the 18th hole. Take your camera you can get some great pics. Also if you ask someone hard to explain in writing they have a market with a deli. So if you wanted a sandwich or something you can do that to. Enjoy the shops also. Very pricey but I love to look.I go to monterey alot.

The Courtyard Marriott I was looking at is on Beach Street. Google maps shows it very close to the wharf, but not sure. ;) It's been 15 years since I have visited SFO.

We stayed there 2 years ago, nice place and good location. This puts you at the Ghiradelli end of the wharf area, a couple blocks from the Powell-Mason line terminus for the cable cars. The rooms had been recently redone and were quite nice. There are also a couple cheaper eating options right there - In and Out Burger and Subway. We did the greater SFO area from there without a car using public transport, then picked up a car (Hertz has an office next door) the morning we checked out and went north to Bodega Bay and Sonoma.

In San Francisco have lunch at Scoma's on Fishermans Wharf. Excellent food and not quite as touristy.

In Monterrey on the pier we really enjoy Dominico's. In Santa Cruz the boardwalk is always fun with old fashioned rides etc.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips! :banana:

I've written down Scoma's and Dominico's. :)

I had no idea I had to pay to drive 17 mile drive. I did it a long time ago, but I was in high school and it must have been included in our group tourist stuff. Since I have already been there, done that (although loved it) should we do it with the kids (9 and 6) or do something else more kid friendly? :confused3

Also - I have heard I may need reservations to get into Monterey Aquarium. Any thoughts on this? :)

No you do not need to make reservations for the aquarium. The cost of 17 mile dr is only 9.50. If you are wanting to see Pebble Beach it is worth it.

If you're looking for the best seafood in the City, then you'll go to Tadich Grill in the Financial District.

Have to remember that for next trip! I remember a great Italian hole in the wall downtown but don't recall the name.

Decades ago we used to like Castagnola's on Fishermans Wharf. But it got VERY touristy and the quality went down. I have not been there in years to know if its improved. Instead we started going to Scomas located behind Castagnolas. Theres only a very small sign on the street indicating its location. Thus, tourists aren't nearly as common!

For seafood, my husband recommends Aqua (on California) or Gary Danko, which is a block away from Ghirardelli Square. A warning: both are expensive! I don't eat seafood, so I can't give a first-hand review. Oh, I just remembered, In-N-Out Burger is near the wharf. Now that's eating!

For seafood, my husband recommends Aqua (on California) or Gary Danko, which is a block away from Ghirardelli Square. A warning: both are expensive! I don't eat seafood, so I can't give a first-hand review. Oh, I just remembered, In-N-Out Burger is near the wharf. Now that's eating!

Aqua is no more. The space is filled with Michael Mina's that moved from the Westin St. Francis.

Waterbar if you like seafood ( check the site they have great deals in the afternoon ) - also - the Ferry Building has got a lot going on...

I second Gary Danko - but you need reservations 30 days in advance. Fantastic ( and pricy ) California Cuisine. I've eaten there 4 or 5 times now - always excellent.

Even when we have a car we often use cabs because parking is so tough.
And I often stay at the Columbus or its sister hotels - free parking, large rooms, clean - not fancy, but a bargain in SF.
Don't forget to go to the Walt Disney Family Museum!

(personnally I find Scoma's touristy - most of the restaurants right in Fisherman's Wharf are though)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter