Hotel Recommendations for runDisney Events?

Disney Fit Guide

Instagram: @disneyfitguide
If you’re looking for the best resort for your runDisney vacation, check out yesterday’s featured article on The Dis: http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-...sorts-for-the-perfect-rundisney-race-weekend/
In it, I give recommendations for the best resorts at Walt Disney World based on location, amenities, dining, and other factors.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this article and any ideas you may have for future articles focused on runDisney and fitness/health at the Disney Parks.

-Melissa
Instagram: @disneyfitguide

You asked... :)

I don’t think that staying onsite is necessary. I have, but I’ve also driven in to volunteer (and son and his dad drove in later for their 5k) and it was fine.

2017 princess buses were delayed and caused a delay for the Half, but everyone I knew of who had driven was fine.

AOA is gigantic and was painful to walk back to my LM room after the half when I was in a time crunch. And the kitchenette isn’t a place to make a healthy meal. From Disney food blog...“The kitchenette is cabinet on top of a small tiled area, which includes a dorm sized refrigerator, coffee maker, bar sink, and a microwave oven.”

That’s what I have in a Dvc studio. Since there’s no freezer component to the little fridge you can’t even get a nice Amy’s Mac and cheese or some frozen broccoli to heat up.

Suggesting YC and talking about the Epcot start is a bit iffy. You can’t walk to the start from there. You still have to take transportation. And you can only walk back after the finish of you have a ticket (and if you’re planning on not-Epcot that day the ticket has to be a hopper).

I’ve stayed all over the place for rundisney weekends and have found none to be better or worse than others specifically in terms of the run events, since all onsite resorts have been host hotels for all events for the past few years. (Which is why I don’t write articles, because “stay where you want” isn’t a good headline lol)

I've stayed at an offsite hotel once and drove from home another time and never had a problem with traffic or parking. I will be driving from home again for Dark Side.

I'll be staying at POP for the first time for Wine & Dine and will probably use the buses. Though it actually makes me nervous to think about taking the bus compared to driving!

Great stuff in this thread. I'm running my first RunDisney race for the Wind and Dine and am nervous about how the logistics will work. I will probably take a bus but am considering using Uber as well. I'm sure it will be fine, but I just don't want something stupid to happen and me not be in the corrals in plenty of time. I like all of the opinions on best places to stay. I'm also interested in where people like to eat before race day.

I think a good future article could address the Expo. The Expo is increasingly difficult to navigate and a strategy for managing it is often needed. For first-timers to runDisney, the Expo can end up being a very frustrating experience with long lines and sold-out merchandise.

We've stayed onsite for marathon weekend at Beach Club and Poly. Both were fine as far as that goes and I'd probably agree with @bumbershoot that there's probably not a lot of difference for race participants in easy of managing the races for one resort over another. We've also stayed offsite for races and found that to be perfectly manageable as well, but it is nice when onsite not to worry much about driving over to race start and parking (although, frankly, it's not hard to do).

Great stuff in this thread. I'm running my first RunDisney race for the Wind and Dine and am nervous about how the logistics will work. I will probably take a bus but am considering using Uber as well. I'm sure it will be fine, but I just don't want something stupid to happen and me not be in the corrals in plenty of time. I like all of the opinions on best places to stay. I'm also interested in where people like to eat before race day.

If you haven't looked at it already, this thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-wine-dine-2018.3647762/ is dedicated to folks running Wine & Dine this year. It will give you plenty of information about that specific race weekend and lots of people willing to answer questions as well.

I think a good future article could address the Expo. The Expo is increasingly difficult to navigate and a strategy for managing it is often needed. For first-timers to runDisney, the Expo can end up being a very frustrating experience with long lines and sold-out merchandise.

We've stayed onsite for marathon weekend at Beach Club and Poly. Both were fine as far as that goes and I'd probably agree with @bumbershoot that there's probably not a lot of difference for race participants in easy of managing the races for one resort over another. We've also stayed offsite for races and found that to be perfectly manageable as well, but it is nice when onsite not to worry much about driving over to race start and parking (although, frankly, it's not hard to do).
I think an expo one would be hard because it’s always changing.

We've stayed at POP Century, POFQ, and Saratoga Springs Resort.

2 adults, no kids, sometimes grandma (my mom) with us.

To me transportation to/from the race was the same for all. It may have taken a few minutes longer from one resort, but to me, it was a non-factor.

It depends on your budget and expectations.

POP was perfectly adequate, just not our style.

For us, it was worth the $$ to move to POFQ Garden View. It's a nice small resort and the boat to DS is a plus. You get 2 resorts for the price of one since POR is a short walk/boat ride away. A downside is your non-runners may hear the starting fireworks for every corral.

SSR (renting DVC points) is $$$. It was worth it for us, especially when my mom is a long. Seems like it was about the same per night for a 2 bedroom SSR, as 2 rooms at POFQ. You also save bucks since you have a kitchen and don't need to eat out every meal. Depending where you are, it's a short walk to DS.

One thing you didn't mention about AoA is that the family suites are great if you are doing a run-cation with non-running family because it has the separate room with a bathroom. The suite may also be good for groups of runners because it has 2!!! bathrooms.

I found the inclusion of Wilderness lodge at #1 a bit perplexing - I haven't heard that's really walkable from the finish line, but am I wrong? I would put the other Boardwalk area hotels near the top (at least of my wish list) and possibly hotels on the monorail because of the transportation.

I'm guessing the #1 resorts are because they are physically close to the starts? You still have to get on a bus to get to the start.

Thank you so much for chiming in! :) I expected nothing less than passionate responses, as Disney AND runDisney have some really dedicated fans, myself included.

You're right, it was difficult to rack and stack the resorts, especially since they made the change a few years ago and made all resorts host hotels. I thought it was an important article to write, regardless of the challenge, after fielding the question numerous times on social media. I leaned heavily on my personal experiences and those of my friends in compiling this list, and it was a product of debate and ultimately, consensus.

I still firmly prefer on-property resorts from the standpoint of convenience on race morning. After 5 years and 12 races, I have found the race day experience simpler when using Disney transportation. As for the individual resorts, you are correct in pointing out that Art of Animation is large and its kitchens are relatively simple. They do, however, offer an advantage over most resort room options by having a larger refrigerator and a microwave. I understand that your experience staying in a DVC studio is different than that of the average guest.

As for Yacht Club, I apologize for being ambiguous. When referring to its vicinity to Epcot, I was praising the shorter bus ride to and from the race and the easy access to World Showcase for dining and entertainment. Also, I love its proximity to the Boardwalk, which allows spectators to cheer on their runners (during 5k and 10k races) within walking distance of their resort room. I stayed in Yacht Club for my most recent runDisney race weekend, and I
do firmly believe that it was my best experience yet.

I think you made some great points based on your experiences during these unique weekends. I appreciate your enthusiasm and your willingness to add your perspective to the conversation. I hope, between my article and your comment, that future runDisney newbies will be able to find the perfect resort for their race weekend, regardless of which they choose!

Why are both Yacht Club and Wilderness Lodge No. 1? They aren't even close to each other. Did you mean Yacht and Beach Clubs?

Also, Wilderness Lodge offers no transportation improvement to a half marathon at Disney, and actually it's harder to get to the start area because it's off the major road that is closed for the Half/Full of Marathon Weekend and the Half of Princess. So, you picked this resort over an actual resort ON the Monorail line that will take you to the start line for ALL RunDisney races (Epcot for Marathon/Princess, TTC for Star Wars/Wine & Dine). Heck, even if you stay at the Poly, you can walk across the street to the start area for Wine & Dine and Star Wars. You still have to take a bus from Wilderness Lodge ... I'm really, really confused about this inclusion and how you say it's the most convenient to the start-line for Wine & Dine when Poly is quite literally across the street.

Coronado Springs is under major construction and is almost unavailable unless you're booking via a Charity Organization or a TA.

I gotta be honest ... have you done a RunDisney race or were you just Googling for resort information on resorts that have running trails?

I am really loving all the perspectives and future article suggestions!

I am definitely interested in doing an expo article, but as rteetz pointed out before, they vary greatly from race to race. (I know that each of my expos have differed significantly from one another.) In fact, your experience can vary so much from hour to hour! I read about people waiting in long lines for the merch at this year's Princess, but when I went to the expo on Friday evening, I walked straight up to everything: package pickup, shirt pickup, and yes, the official merch entry and registers. I could attempt a piece on it, and I will document my experiences and reactions to the upcoming SWDS weekend accordingly, but I think that I will shelve it until I can find a solid approach to the subject matter.

And yes, I am both reading and absorbing the critiques as well! I don't have a lot of experience on the disboards side of the house, and wasn't quite expecting the level of scrutiny, but I'm excited about getting to know other people who are as passionate about both Disney and runDisney as I am. By building connections, even through criticism, I know I'll have a strong network of fellow Disney fans to help me improve my articles going forward. So thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter