• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hotel room question?

Ex-Imagineer

Designed, built, and watched it go
I have some friends going down to Disney in October. The DH has MS and Parkinson’s; he is confined to his wheel chair. He is a rather tall man... 6'6, 350# and his DW uses a Hoyer (?) lift to get him out of his chair to change his diaper. My question is has anyone traveled with a lift and are the bed in the hotel room (Pop Century) able to handle the 6 - 8" wheel height?

Oops one more question. How does Disney handle a family of three with all the equipment needed for care? Do they make you get another room?

I thought this would be the best place to ask these questions. Thanks for your help.

Ex- Imagineer :wave2:

I can't answer the question about the room itself. However, if you go through "Special Reservations" (407-939-7807) and explain the situation they can give you good information.

Due to the increased bathroom size in the accessible rooms, normally they will only have a King Size bed. In that case Special Reservations will generally guarantee a connecting room which has two doubles, both rooms for the price of one.

I would worry a bit about being able to get a lift close enough to the bed to transfer him, as the beds at Pop Century don't have any space underneath them for the bottom of a lift to slide under. Plus, I'm not sure if the handicapped bathrooms there would be big enough for him to be able to transfer to a lift and from there to the toilet or the flip down shower seat. Just from memory, I think it would be a very tight fit. I agree that calling special services would be a good place to start, but I would also call the resort itself (number should be on their confirmation slip) and ask for specific measurements, as I have found that special services does great with the typical kinds of medical stuff, but doesn't always understand the more complex kind.

Good luck!

I agree that you need to contact Special Services as they can arrange for the bed to be placed on blocks so that there's enough height for a lift to slide under. I recently had this done to my bed on the Disney Magic and it was great, giving me additional height to the bed/space underneath as well vs. just adding another mattress. ---Kathy

Ex-Imagineer,

On our first trip, my sister and I who are both in ECVs went with my mom and our aide and stayed at the all star movies resort. My sister and I stayed in the handicapped room, it only had a king size bed in it and my mom and aide stayed in an ajoining room which was gauranted. However, we did have to pay full price for the second room also. I wasn't to happy about that. :(

Joy

I can answer your question about the hoyle lift , I wouldn't try it in the pop centery rooms , you'll never be able to get it close enough to the bed to lift from there. Truth me on that , if you need me to go into detail I will, but the honest answer is that's going to be impossible task.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter