House warming gifts ideas?

Kitty 34

Hums in her sleep
I have a young friend ( mid thirties, DH and 2 sons) moving from the city (small rental house) to an old farm house 10 miles out of the city. She's all excited and I would love to give her a "moving in" gift bag or whatever. She's scared to death of mice and won't do cats so mouse traps are definitely on my list. ;)

Any other suggestions are so appreciated........

Maybe a potted plant and/or some kind of "HOME" wall hanging (something in the "industrial farm" style might be nice - think Joanna Gains style) along w/ a Lowe's or Home Depot or other home improvement gift certificate - because they'll need different things once they're moved in (paint, curtain rods, etc.).

Or maybe a small galvanized bucket & include in it some things like a good flashlight, a hammer, the "home" sign, & a gift card.

Or, if you're wanting to do more of a "moving day survival" gift basket, in addition to the hammer & flashlight, you could include things like rolls of paper towels & other cleaning supplies, Advil or similar for sore muscles, a gift card for pizza, & something for breakfast (maybe some donuts & coffee) for the morning after move-in day.

Darn it! I was gonna say "Basket of kittens" because what could be cuter and your name is Kitty. Oh well.

That's so sweet Ron and with my sister just having a cat that gave birth to 5 kittens, how cool would that be but she was adamant just the other day when I suggested it. :)

I'm currently obsessed with Mason Jars so I'm biased but for Christmas I'm knitting blankets for everyone and then including Mason Jars full of mix for something they can enjoy snuggled under their blanket like soup mixes, muffin mixes, popcorn with seasonings, cookie mixes, etc. A cozy throw blanket and something homemade to enjoy snuggled up could be a great gift - especially if thrown in a basket with some of the above suggestions.

Are they going to garden at the new farm house? If so, what about a basket of hand tools and seeds for things you think they might like, such as herbs, vegetables and/or flower seeds?

I'm partial to garden flags . You could get the metal stake and a pretty welcome flag, Halloween flag, Thanksgiving and winter or Christmas one. And a wreath and hanger for the front door.

How long has she been married? After 10 years or so, towels, wash cloths, hand towels, pot holders, sheets, etc. are usually showing major wear. I think linens are always a good bet for a housewarming for someone who has been married awhile.

“Old farmhouse” says “maintenance and repairs” to me. Home repair gift card. A potted plant or maybe a cute door decoration.

Home Depot or Lowe's, Ace Hardware GC... when we moved into our new house... boy did they help.

Laundry basket with paper towels, toilet tissue, paper plates, plastic cutlery, Windex, some type of cleaning wipes.

Breakfast for the morning after the move, danish, muffins, coffee, creamer, juice boxes for the kids, bottled water.

If you are thinking more in the gift area, I would wait until they are unpacked and then get them something, a welcome mat for the front door, a few picture frames,

I agree about the gift cards. So many things you need to buy when you first move. A lot of things pop up that you don't think about, especially when moving to an old house.

I also like the idea of the candle, but I'm a huge candle fan! Someone gave me wind chimes as a housewarming gift, and I love the sound of them. I think of the person every time I hear them! Being a farm house with land (I assume), its the perfect situation to have wind chimes without disturbing anyone.

How about 1 or 2 of those emergency lights that plugs onto any outlet that comes on when power goes out?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter