Houston is Closed!

Georgia is pretty much closed today. At 174 accidents in our county alone since midnight. Snow and ice. This is just wrong for Georgia to have this happen twice in one winter.

I'm in Baton Rouge and our interstate system is completely shut down. We have so many bridges out here that it's impossible to get around today. Below zero wind chill here is unheard of, but we had it this morning!

I know northerners think it's funny that we completely shut down for this, but I'd like to see y'all handle 100+ degree heat for 4 months straight. :P

I'm in Baton Rouge and our interstate system is completely shut down. We have so many bridges out here that it's impossible to get around today. Below zero wind chill here is unheard of, but we had it this morning!

I know northerners think it's funny that we completely shut down for this, but I'd like to see y'all handle 100+ degree heat for 4 months straight. :P

Probably about the same that you would handle -40.

HAHA so true. It's the same here. Most people here are transplants. And they're the ones out crashing because well they're from ________ and they're invincible because they know how to drive snow. Then they hit the ice and weeeeeeeeeee.

I think that’s the thing Northerners forget. It’s not just their experience, but the fact is it’s just not as slick in extreme cold temps as it is when you get precipitation right at the freezing mark.

I’ve got snow in my driveway and I didn’t spin a tire pulling out onto the road today or yesterday despite not using 4wd. But, it was also below 0F both days. If it were 30 degrees warmer, it would be slicker.

A mother and child slid right off the road into a canal in the New Orleans area this morning. They are in critical condition. This is why they tell us to stay off the roads.

Ice is different than snow to be sure and especially in a place that doesn't prepare the roads with de-icer, salt and sand. I have been messaging my transplanted cousin in Houston, originally from Calgary AB. Her pipes are frozen. No water today. She was asking us how to defrost them(slowly)as not to burst the pipes. When she is able to get out, doing a few simple in-expensive things could prevent future recurrence or worst burst pipes. Here our homes are insulated for colder weather, but proper insulation can keep you home cooler too.

Erie is my hometown - growing up, my grandmother used to always tell us if you don't learn to drive in snow, don't even bother to get a license when living in Erie. :p

I'll echo others, however - different parts of the country are just better equipped to handle the weather than others. Feet of snow is no big deal to Erie - they just plow it and move on. Ice, however, is a different story altogether, because there isn't much you can do about it and all the driving skills in the world aren't going to help you if you hit a patch of ice.
Yeah, my dad made sure we knew how to drive in snow and we passed that on to our kids. Otherwise we wouldn't get out much in winter.

We live in NE PA and while we don't get the lake effect snowfall like Erie, we do get dumped on because we live on a mountain. You know it will be bad when they turn off the traffic lights on the hills around here because people can't stop or they can't get up a hill if they have to stop midway.

We have 6+ inches of snow on top of 2 inches of ice but we're dug out now and everyone is out driving on the snow.

d6059e1f94bc9d6ff96bf9bf7a7ae6e8.jpg

Yeah, my dad made sure we knew how to drive in snow and we passed that on to our kids. Otherwise we wouldn't get out much in winter.

We live in NE PA and while we don't get the lake effect snowfall like Erie, we do get dumped on because we live on a mountain. You know it will be bad when they turn off the traffic lights on the hills around here because people can't stop or they can't get up a hill if they have to stop midway.

We have 6+ inches of snow on top of 2 inches of ice but we're dug out now and everyone is out driving on the snow.

View attachment 296060
That meme gets passed around here too, “Going to Stewart’s. Need anything?” Lol.

View attachment 296060

Being a long time PA native, I hear ya. Here in Georgia, it's downright silly. We got 1/2" of snow...yes, a half inch, and school was closed today. The sun has been out all day and therefore the roads are 100% dry. Yet, they felt the need to cancel school tomorrow too, because it's cold outside (it's about 18 today). Really? Seriously? Listen, I hate the cold, that's why we moved here to GA, but no need to close school.

Being a long time PA native, I hear ya. Here in Georgia, it's downright silly. We got 1/2" of snow...yes, a half inch, and school was closed today. The sun has been out all day and therefore the roads are 100% dry. Yet, they felt the need to cancel school tomorrow too, because it's cold outside (it's about 18 today). Really? Seriously? Listen, I hate the cold, that's why we moved here to GA, but no need to close school.

I suppose the authorities are afraid of a repeat of that fiasco from several years back.

What snark? Someone said something about Northerners not being able to survive with extreme heat/humidity and I agreed saying we would probably deal with it as well as they do with our extreme cold.
Not everything here is snark.
Every area has something that they deal with.

:thumbsup2

Not sure where you are, but I am in the northern suburbs of Atlanta and my driveway and neighborhood road are still completely iced over. I guess main roads are okay-ish, but side streets that didn't get any sun today are treacherous! (Believe me, I have cabin fever and am dying to get out... Would if I could!)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter