How about a Christmas DIS charity collection?

wovenwonder

DIS Veteran
I am NOT interested in organizing the event but I know that alot of DISers enjoy this sort of thing.

How about a DIS charity collection for Christmas? Maybe send childrens mittens, gloves, hats or scarves to the designated 'collector' and have them donated from the entire 'DIS Boards' group? Wouldn't it be great to see how many items we could come up with!

An additional suggetion would be for the DIS Board group to 'adopt' a needy family for the holidays -- and agree to provide the fixins for the Holday Meals (Thanksgiving and Christmas) as well as gifts for the family for under the tree -- maybe even a tree? This would take a special DISer to research and recommend a truly needy family in their area to be the benefactor.

Any other ideas --- or volunteers to organize?
:D

I think it is a great idea. One thing we do every year is take hotel and travel size toiletries to the local shelter for domestic abuse victims. They always need that stuff. Last year we added a new stuffed animal drive for the children that find themselves there with their mothers (or rare father).

I think it is a great idea. One thing we do every year is take hotel and travel size toiletries to the local shelter for domestic abuse victims. They always need that stuff. Last year we added a new stuffed animal drive for the children that find themselves there with their mothers (or rare father).

WOW I love that idea with the travel size toiletries. Maybe that could be something that could be collected from all of the DISers vacations over the next year and organized for next year to hand out. Just think of all the items we could come up with!

If it is possible -- the DISers can DO IT!:p

The Mickey soaps would be fun to hand out somehow.. although mine are all gone!

Maybe the webmasters or Pete himself has a charity in mind which can help others.

There is a charity that currently asks for donations of the MICKEY mouse soaps and toiletries... they wrap them up in neat gift packages and give them to cancer patients in a children's hospital. I have donated my extras after every trip since learning about it (well I keep a few of the soaps because I love them so much!)... there is information about that on Deb Wills website and how you can participate if you are interested.

Not that this should replace the suggestion here... just wanted to mention it since the Mickey toiletries were mentioned.

I like that idea, and I already have a ton of Mickey soaps and shampoos I've collected this year and I'm going again at least twice. And it is perfect for DIS members who want to share their love of Disney. I've never been to Deb Wills' website. What is the address?

I know the DIS used to have an official charity program, with Give Kids the World www.gktw.org. Not sure what ever happened to that program though. We had a big fund raiser one time but then never heard much afterwards.

Deb's site is at www.wdwig.com

Thanks Dan! I found it using a search engine on the Disney Awards page.

I read all about it. It sounds like something similar to what the cast members have done in the past for the kids in the hospital across the street from our store. Except we never thought to include the soaps. Duh! Now we're making two big baskets of Disney stuff for two 3-year old boys who will probably never get to WDW.

I vote for sending our Mickey soaps. Yeah DixieDreamer for telling us about it! And hooray wovenwonder for thinking of others and coming up with a great plan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter