How bad is spring break, really?

DWFamilyof6

Mouseketeer
Our spring break is April 14-20 (week before Easter). I'm a very good planner and feel like if a good plan is all you need, then we can survive. Looking for people's experiences who have done spring break (week of Easter) year after year and why they keep doing it?

Last edited:
Haven't done it every year, but have a couple times.

There will be a lot of people there, so be prepared for that. But, yes, it is manageable. Obviously, there are different strategies that work. Of course, make your accommodation and transportation arrangements as soon as possible, make your fastpasses at the 60 or 30 day mark, depending upon where you stay, etc. Park hours will be longer, so don't feel you have to cram everything in the first part of the day. Stay flexible and maybe do some other things (pools, Disney Springs, etc.) the busiest part of the day, etc.

One break you do have with Easter as late as it is next year is that the college spring breaks won't coincide, as they usually have their breaks somewhere in March.

Why we've done it then: especially as the kids got older, taking them out of school for any period of time was more detrimental to school work and activities (sports, etc.), so our Disney trips were restricted to summers and longer breaks during the school year. Easter wasn't my favorite time to go, but it definitely beat not going!

Thank you for the input.
Overall, would you do spring break again?
We’re you able to snag 4th, 5th etc FPs?
Just trying to weigh out the pros and cons.

Thank you for the input.
Overall, would you do spring break again?
We’re you able to snag 4th, 5th etc FPs?
Just trying to weigh out the pros and cons.

We do spring break just about every year (now without school-age kids), but its been a few years since I've done the week leading into or out of Easter. The last time we did an Easter week was back in paper fastpass days, so I can't directly answer your FP question, but we were able to get additional fastpasses (lots of park zigzagging). More recently, some of our spring break weeks have also been the college break weeks that can get quite crowded and had pretty good success getting additional FP's, especially at Magic Kingdom, since so many attractions there have them. It does get difficult to get the headliners as 4th+ or you have to weigh taking one very late in the day vs. taking multiple others (For example: lets say its noon and you've finished your 3. Do you take a Space Mountain at 8:00 at night that leaves you with none all afternoon, or take a Buzz Lightyear at 2:00, then another after that, and so on?)

Would I do Easter week again?...sure, but, I'd prefer to do other weeks during the spring break period.

It will be crowded there is no way around that. However, we have done it and it is doable as you say with a good plan and willing participants with good attitudes. On the plus side the weather is usually beautiful this time of year in Florida.

I would work out a plan for each day of your trip for fast passes and back ups plans for those fast passes before you attempt to book these. This is a trip where, if possible, I would splurge and stay on site so you have access to fast passes at 60 days out. In addition, on site guest are the last to be turned away if parks reach capacity. Be ready to book as soon as your booking window opens up. If at all possible I would arrive the Friday evening before that Saturday because tons will arrive the Saturday or Sunday. That will give you a leg up on your booking window for fast passes by getting in the cue to book a day earlier for a 10 day window.

Also, research park hours way ahead and keep checking as Disney does sometimes change these at the last minute. Typically opening earlier. Plan adrs as soon as 180 day window opens up.

Know that the best strategy is to get to the parks at rope drop and take advantage of that first hour or two being one step ahead of the crowds. We typically did the first hour or so without fast passes and booked our first fast pass a hour after opening as close together as possible. That way we could add another for later in the day if available.

We also found that getting Magic Kingdom in first helped because as we got closer to Easter that park got the busiest. However, with the new Toy Story area and FOP in AK that may not be as big of a deal now. Regardless, we always did Epcot over the Saturday before Easter because it appeared to us to be the least busiest park that day. Also, for us we found more places to escape the crowds at this park. We found that the ability to duck in a show or have a table service meal (plan that adr in advance) helped it feel less crowded and stressful. We always checked out on this Saturday and headed home that night as we live in Florida and wanted to spend Easter with our family. So I have no advice for Easter Sunday day in the parks.

Ironically, the biggest obstacle we faced on our first spring break trip was our teens who didn't want to get up early to hit the parks at rope drop. This was frustrating since they were the reason we had to visit during their school breaks! Basically, before we book another school break trip again we set them down and explained that this was not getting booked unless they agreed to get up and out early without being a pain in the behind. The threat of no vacation at all did the trick for us. Really, that early morning routine helped us accomplish a great deal each day. We also made this work by doing our table service adrs for a late lunch and taking a break afterward then returning in the evenings. We also took one day off from the parks mid trip to rest up and enjoy the resort pool. This worked well as after a few days of park touring like this we all need a break to recharge and do it again. It also helped that our teens each requested certain fast passes and adrs. I intentionally booked those fast passes for the first ones of the day. I knew they were their must dos and knowing how long the lines would be if they had to do them without a fast pass motivated them to get up and out in the morning. Yes, it's manipulation but a Mom has to do what a Mom's has to do!

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

We do spring break just about every year (now without school-age kids), but its been a few years since I've done the week leading into or out of Easter. The last time we did an Easter week was back in paper fastpass days, so I can't directly answer your FP question, but we were able to get additional fastpasses (lots of park zigzagging). More recently, some of our spring break weeks have also been the college break weeks that can get quite crowded and had pretty good success getting additional FP's, especially at Magic Kingdom, since so many attractions there have them. It does get difficult to get the headliners as 4th+ or you have to weigh taking one very late in the day vs. taking multiple others (For example: lets say its noon and you've finished your 3. Do you take a Space Mountain at 8:00 at night that leaves you with none all afternoon, or take a Buzz Lightyear at 2:00, then another after that, and so on?)

Would I do Easter week again?...sure, but, I'd prefer to do other weeks during the spring break period.
It will be crowded there is no way around that. However, we have done it and it is doable as you say with a good plan and willing participants with good attitudes. On the plus side the weather is usually beautiful this time of year in Florida.

I would work out a plan for each day of your trip for fast passes and back ups plans for those fast passes before you attempt to book these. This is a trip where, if possible, I would splurge and stay on site so you have access to fast passes at 60 days out. In addition, on site guest are the last to be turned away if parks reach capacity. Be ready to book as soon as your booking window opens up. If at all possible I would arrive the Friday evening before that Saturday because tons will arrive the Saturday or Sunday. That will give you a leg up on your booking window for fast passes by getting in the cue to book a day earlier for a 10 day window.

Also, research park hours way ahead and keep checking as Disney does sometimes change these at the last minute. Typically opening earlier. Plan adrs as soon as 180 day window opens up.

Know that the best strategy is to get to the parks at rope drop and take advantage of that first hour or two being one step ahead of the crowds. We typically did the first hour or so without fast passes and booked our first fast pass a hour after opening as close together as possible. That way we could add another for later in the day if available.

We also found that getting Magic Kingdom in first helped because as we got closer to Easter that park got the busiest. However, with the new Toy Story area and FOP in AK that may not be as big of a deal now. Regardless, we always did Epcot over the Saturday before Easter because it appeared to us to be the least busiest park that day. Also, for us we found more places to escape the crowds at this park. We found that the ability to duck in a show or have a table service meal (plan that adr in advance) helped it feel less crowded and stressful. We always checked out on this Saturday and headed home that night as we live in Florida and wanted to spend Easter with our family. So I have no advice for Easter Sunday day in the parks.

Ironically, the biggest obstacle we faced on our first spring break trip was our teens who didn't want to get up early to hit the parks at rope drop. This was frustrating since they were the reason we had to visit during their school breaks! Basically, before we book another school break trip again we set them down and explained that this was not getting booked unless they agreed to get up and out early without being a pain in the behind. The threat of no vacation at all did the trick for us. Really, that early morning routine helped us accomplish a great deal each day. We also made this work by doing our table service adrs for a late lunch and taking a break afterward then returning in the evenings. We also took one day off from the parks mid trip to rest up and enjoy the resort pool. This worked well as after a few days of park touring like this we all need a break to recharge and do it again. It also helped that our teens each requested certain fast passes and adrs. I intentionally booked those fast passes for the first ones of the day. I knew they were their must dos and knowing how long the lines would be if they had to do them without a fast pass motivated them to get up and out in the morning. Yes, it's manipulation but a Mom has to do what a Mom's has to do!

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
thank you for the great advice. I'm just really thrown off by Easter coming so late this year as to how to take it as far as crowds. I think the weather and the longer hours at the park are major pluses. I like to do Disney very similarly as you. Rope drop, break after lunch, return in the evening. The longer hours makes this plan work much better.
And, yes, manipulation helps with kids. LOL!

Our spring break is April 14-20 (week before Easter). I'm a very good planner and feel like if a good plan is all you need, then we can survive. Looking for people's experiences who have done spring break (week of Easter) year after year and why they keep doing it?

We go Easter/Spring week for years. Not because it’s our preference but due to school. IMO it gets busier each year. This past one being the worst. Popular rides such as Splash Mountain, 7DMT, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion & even Buzz Lughtyear easily have over a 2 hour wait. It was also the hottest I can recall. Many people talking about it. It’s great to be a planner & to have a plan but I think you need to be flexible & have realistic expectations. Of course make your ADR’s & FP+ when window opens. I had a difficult time with getting FP+ & MDE this last time around. I don’t know if it was due to the fact it’s such a busy time or Disney just having technical issues like they always do but you have no time to sit there & think should I pick this day or this ride because they go SO fast. Especially FOP. MDE kept popping up with Olaf saying Oops, problem occurred & I had to keep logging on & off. We don’t do rope drop but spoke to many that do & they get to Parks about 2 hours before drop. Especially for FOP. We are actually discussing not going Easter next year & do Thanksgiving instead. I know it will be crowded but (hopefully not as hot) & just a change in pace. Our family is pretty easy going. We go with the flow but this past Easter was not all that we hoped for. But, I’d still rather be at Disney than not at all.

We’ve done it and found it very manageable even without doing RD. By Thursday the crowds do pick up considerably. By Friday I’m pretty much over it. Lol.

Just have a plan and be flexible.

We go Easter/Spring week for years. Not because it’s our preference but due to school. IMO it gets busier each year. This past one being the worst. Popular rides such as Splash Mountain, 7DMT, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion & even Buzz Lughtyear easily have over a 2 hour wait. It was also the hottest I can recall. Many people talking about it. It’s great to be a planner & to have a plan but I think you need to be flexible & have realistic expectations. Of course make your ADR’s & FP+ when window opens. I had a difficult time with getting FP+ & MDE this last time around. I don’t know if it was due to the fact it’s such a busy time or Disney just having technical issues like they always do but you have no time to sit there & think should I pick this day or this ride because they go SO fast. Especially FOP. MDE kept popping up with Olaf saying Oops, problem occurred & I had to keep logging on & off. We don’t do rope drop but spoke to many that do & they get to Parks about 2 hours before drop. Especially for FOP. We are actually discussing not going Easter next year & do Thanksgiving instead. I know it will be crowded but (hopefully not as hot) & just a change in pace. Our family is pretty easy going. We go with the flow but this past Easter was not all that we hoped for. But, I’d still rather be at Disney than not at all.
thanks for the honest input. I didn't think about the FP window opening for such a busy week. I bet it wrecks havoc on the site. hmmm. lots to consider.

We’ve done it and found it very manageable even without doing RD. By Thursday the crowds do pick up considerably. By Friday I’m pretty much over it. Lol.

Just have a plan and be flexible.
thanks! I'm considering Sun-Fri week before Easter. Also, considering LegoLand a couple days before Disney. So much up in the air. I'm really bad at just making the decision. DH basically has no input besides "what's it going to cost?".

With Easter later it might change for schools other places. Where we are most schools are still doing spring break the last week in March. It is the end of the 3rd quarter so a good time for a break. Easter is too close to the end of the school year.

That is late for Easter, so hope it's not too bad. My kids' spring break was always the second week of March, and we went nearly every spring break to Disney (unless we did a different trip a few times). It was never terrible, but the year before last, my youngest was still in HS and spring break fell over Easter (the break was pushed back a week). The crowds were pretty bad, and I decided I wouldn't do Easter again.

We were there from Maundy Thursday through Easter Monday in 2017 (another mid-April Easter), and crowds were manageable while we were there, at least at the parks we chose. We didn't do MK on Easter Sunday- we did Epcot that day. It was busy, but not Christmas week crazy & nothing like the dire predictions I'd read prior. We stayed onsite & took full advantage of EMH. The do it yourself Easter egg hunt at Epcot was fun for us, and we attended an Easter morning church service at the Contemporary.

Good morning. We've gone at Easter at least 4 or 5 times. We arrive on holy Thursday and stay usually until the following Thurs or Fri. From holy Thursday through Monday we find the busiest with it tapering off a bit after that. We also generally do not choose to go to MK on Easter. We have found it to be a manageable time but I think generally a lot of times are busier now then they have been in the past so I would say just have a plan and enjoy!

With Easter later it might change for schools other places. Where we are most schools are still doing spring break the last week in March. It is the end of the 3rd quarter so a good time for a break. Easter is too close to the end of the school year.
I'm thinking the same. Spring Break being starting in March for some until late April makes me wonder if Easter will be a little slower than usual.

That is late for Easter, so hope it's not too bad. My kids' spring break was always the second week of March, and we went nearly every spring break to Disney (unless we did a different trip a few times). It was never terrible, but the year before last, my youngest was still in HS and spring break fell over Easter (the break was pushed back a week). The crowds were pretty bad, and I decided I wouldn't do Easter again.
I agree, maybe Easter will be slower this year. But, I really don't want to do a vacation and come back with "I'll never do that again..."

We were there from Maundy Thursday through Easter Monday in 2017 (another mid-April Easter), and crowds were manageable while we were there, at least at the parks we chose. We didn't do MK on Easter Sunday- we did Epcot that day. It was busy, but not Christmas week crazy & nothing like the dire predictions I'd read prior. We stayed onsite & took full advantage of EMH. The do it yourself Easter egg hunt at Epcot was fun for us, and we attended an Easter morning church service at the Contemporary.
thanks for the tips!

Good morning. We've gone at Easter at least 4 or 5 times. We arrive on holy Thursday and stay usually until the following Thurs or Fri. From holy Thursday through Monday we find the busiest with it tapering off a bit after that. We also generally do not choose to go to MK on Easter. We have found it to be a manageable time but I think generally a lot of times are busier now then they have been in the past so I would say just have a plan and enjoy!
thank you and thanks for the tips!

Tentative plan is Sat Apr 13 - Sat Apr 20 (before Easter Sunday). Connecting rooms at Pop 4 day park hopper plus. Rope drop, mid day breaks, return in the evenings, enjoy the water parks, try a round of putt putt, and not let the crowds stress us.
Any tips for QS? I don't think we'll do many TS. Is the mobile ordering as simple as it sounds? Thanks for the input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!