How can I nicely tell MIL I don't like her gift idea?

Tell her that if she gets the tickets for DH for Christmas, it has to come with the strings attached that he take a friend and not his wife.

LOL- Kiss is one of the best concerts I have been to- my daughter started seeing them in concert when she was about 10 and loves them now. Can't one of your kids just go with your husband- most kids I know like the old bands now! I just went to a sweet 16 and the kid had the DJ playing Aerosmith, Kiss, Queen and AC/DC- one of the best sweet 16's I have been to!
My kids love all of the other bands you mentioned, but not Kiss. I'm afraid they'd turn me in for child abuse.

So back to the original question of how do you nicely tell your MIL that you don't like her gift idea for your DH?

Here's an option to consider:

"That's a very thoughtful gift. But I don't know if he's still interested in seeing that band in concert. I could ask him for you, but that might spoil some of the surprise. On the other hand, if you give him tickets, he'll really want me to go with him. And I'm sorry, but I really REALLY don't want to see them in concert. I had a really negative experience with 1 of those band members a long time ago, so I'd rather do anything else than see them in person. DH could go with a friend. But I don't know if he'd want to. I'd hate to see you spend all of that money on tickets that we might not actually use."
Very nicely said! Thank you!

Oh ............. had my answer all typed out as we've had this situation too but ..........

after I got to post about what the band name was ........ I couldn't relate.

I would go.

Good Luck

:rockband:

Oh ............. had my answer all typed out as we've had this situation too but ..........

after I got to post about what the band name was ........ I couldn't relate.

I would go.

Good Luck

:rockband:
Not going to happen, but your reply made me smile! Too bad you couldn't go in my place.

Not going to happen, but your reply made me smile! Too bad you couldn't go in my place.

If I could I would take the hit for you ... I've never seen them live, DS has and thought one of best shows he's been to ... but I can certainly relate to the situation and don't think anyone should buy something like this without everyone's approval.

If you told me I was getting tickets to a country music concert .......... it would be an all out ... not happening until the ice age hits. Luckily DH does not enjoy concerts so I go to them with DS. Last one Alice Cooper and Motley Crue .. up next is Ozzy Osbourne and Megadeth.

If I could I would take the hit for you ... I've never seen them live, DS has and thought one of best shows he's been to.
I haven't been to a lot of concerts in my life, but nothing compares to KISS live. This will be my 4th and final time seeing them. And, it will be my most expensive time seeing them.

If it might sell out, this might not work, but what about having her just give him a gift certificate to whomever sells the tickets (Ticketmaster, etc)? That way he can use it for whatever band he wants.

And I probably shouldn't admit it, but LOVED seeing KISS live a few years ago, and am looking forward to seeing Chris Stapleton this summer. Guess I'm a little lowbrow ;).

Terri

I understand what you are saying, but if it is going to cause some disagreement and unhappiness between spouses, it might not be worth it. I mean the DH might not really want it either.

What if MIL offered to get DH a puppy knowing he wanted a dog? Wife doesn't want the dog. Would you say that the MIL has to be allowed to get DH the present he wants to bring him enjoyment?
A one night 3 hour concert is a bit of a different commitment than a dog.

Tell her the truth. Tell her DH would expect you to go and you can’t stomach sitting through their concert and DH thinks it’s something a husband and wife should do together, therefore he’d probably not go and her $ would be wasted.

For me it if DH wanted to go then I would just go and make the best of it...

Or make a suggestion on a concert or something else you could ask her for to do together...

In thinking this out a bit more... Not unless the band and their following are known for becoming violent or fights breaking out, if safety was an issue... then I would have to say this one isn't a good fit for us...

My MIL asked about buying concert tickets for my husband (in reality, she'll probably make it to both of us) as a Christmas gift. The problem is I would rather scrape dog doo off my shoe with my bare hand than attend this show. I'd be happy to see hubby go with a friend, but from experience, I know he won't. I'm pretty sure it will cause an argument between hubby and I and since the concert date is 9 months after Christmas, I can probably look forward to multiple arguments. I'd like to find a way to discourage MIL without making her son sound like a jerk (he's not in most situations, but definitely weird about this one)
Didn’t read thru the thread... but I’d simply say.. it’s a great thought mom,but honestly it just isn’t a good idea for Xx. Perhaps I can try and get another idea for his gift this year. And either try to do that, or not.
If she insists on getting her original gift. Graciously accept, and just don’t go. It’s a gift after all and I’m one to say ... you’re not obligated to Enjoy what’s given nor obligated to even use the gift.
It’s the holidays... let it pass.

Curious what would your husband say if he finds out his mom was going to get these tickets and you told her no...maybe he would really love to see them . I think he should be involved in this one, who says it has to be a surprise.

Curious what would your husband say if he finds out his mom was going to get these tickets and you told her no...maybe he would really love to see them . I think he should be involved in this one, who says it has to be a surprise.
I would not tell her "no" for him, only for myself. MIL is the one insisting on the surprise and it's her gift, so I'm respecting that. Husband has not said anything about the show, so I honestly think he doesn't really care about seeing them. Mom is coming over tomorrow, so I'll talk to her then.

I would not tell her "no" for him, only for myself. MIL is the one insisting on the surprise and it's her gift, so I'm respecting that. Husband has not said anything about the show, so I honestly think he doesn't really care about seeing them. Mom is coming over tomorrow, so I'll talk to her then.

Or maybe he hasn't said anything about the show because he knows it would go over like a lead balloon.

Or maybe he hasn't said anything about the show because he knows it would go over like a lead balloon.
Agreed. I'm sure he knows I won't want to go, but he also knows I'd encourage him to go with a friend, so if he hasn't mentioned it, I feel like it's not that important to him. I also think if it was something he really wanted, he might have tried to talk me into it already. I'm going to try to talk MIL into just asking him if he wants it. That gives me the opportunity to say I don't want to go, but he should go and have fun and he can decide if he wants to do that.

Why not just ask husband? No point wasting money if the tickets are unwanted and starts conversation about companions for concert. I understand it is present and surprise but he can act surprised happy excited when opening if wanted at time gift exchange.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter