• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How can you create your own luggage tags ?

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
I thought I would create my own Disney themed luggage tags.
idea:
use oak-tag (heavy weight) paper.
Place Disney stickers on it

Put on the luggage tag WHAT ? :confused:

to WDW - hotel name ? our name ?
suggestions ???

and new tags on the way home...
our name ? our phone # ?
suggestions ???

I thought clear contact paper would protect the tag.
Punch a hole in it and attach the tag to the luggage with WHAT ? :confused:
String ? key ring holders (maybe I can find them at a craft store) ?
suggestions ???

As you can see we do not fly much. Mostly drive.
Please help. :)

I would put your name and phone number on the tag, don't put your address, I have heard different stories of theifs watching luggage at the airport knowing your leaving for vacation, only to come home and find your house was broken into. You can also put staying at the _____ Orlando,FL and the hotel's phone number if you wish. I have never done this. My luggage was lost only once in all my travel's and you report the missing baggage right at the airport and they will take a phone number then as to where they can contact you. Contact paper or lamenating sheets (a big heavier) would be good to cover it with. Punch a hole in it and use a cable tie to secure it. You can find these at Walmart or just about anywhere. Only way anyone could get the tag off would be to cut the cable tie. Its always a good idea to mark your luggage so it stands out in a crowd. Something colorful around the handle, some of those happy meal toys work well, anything you can clip to a zipper or handle, it will keep someone from picking up your bag my mistake.
Hope you enjoy your trip!!

I've never made my own luggage tags, so i can't help there. We do have our names on the 'OEM' tags on the bag, and make sure we have a couple of business cards (with my work number) in the various compartments when I do fly and check luggage (which is rare...we believe in the carry-on only way of flying).

And while this last one embarasses my wife to no end, when we do check baggage, since it looks like everyone else's black luggage, I take a long strip of white medical tape and place in along both sides...then write in inch tall letters 'THIS IS NOT YOUR BAG' on the tape. So far, no one has tried pulling it off the conveyer belt. :)

Hope this helps,
Joe

Thanks for the business card idea. We will use it.
I also liked the idea of attaching McDonald disney toys to the handles.
I have some tigger and eyeore soft heads with a plastic clip.
I will remove the plastic clip and use some wire to attach the "disney character heads"
to the luggage handle.

I will also try to find a place which does lamination for our own tags.

Have a fun time at WDW whenever you go :D

... just about any Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc., just look in the stationary section.

I do my tags on our computer w/ MSWord, and laminate them with these sleeves. I download the resort logo and add our last name and dates of stay, plus the phone# and address of the resort. I put my business card on the reverse and laminate it all together, then I attach them with giftwrap curling ribbon in a color that is unusual so that I can see it on the carousel. I put one of the tags on our stroller as well.

We throw business cards inside our luggage and laminated ones as tags. I use orange electrial tape on the outside of our bags - I stripe it around the handles and put a stripe on the bottom of each bag - between the wheels. Not too much - just enought to know it's ours. It's effective - and it comes off when you want it to and stays on when you need it. I also use the tape on my umbrella stroller - a few stripes here and there on the bars so I can easily pick it out in a crowd. My DH says electrical tape comes in a variety of colors at Home Depot etc.

The tape is a great idea especially if you have a rather common looking black bag. Last year a man picked up my son's bag by mistake and left the airport. His bag was left behind. We had to wait two days for him to come claim his bag and return ours. He said it wasn't convenient for him to come right away. Let me tell you it wasn't convenient for my son to wear the same clothes for 3 days. Luckily he had a swimsuit in his carry on and I did wash while he was in his suit. This year we will put tape on our bags and cross pack in each other's suitcases.

do not attach toys to your luggage. they can get caught in the belt loader thus causing major problems. and delayed bags.

I know that walmart does have a make your own bag tags. its in their business section with the computer things. you make them on your computer and you can laminate them or get the ones with the plastic covering.

the best place to put your homes address is on the inside of the bag. in a zippered compartment, on the inside as you open it, etc. use a return address label. I cannot tell you how many bags I could not match to the owner due to no id on the bag.

you can also go to your local luggage shop and they can make you a bag tag with whatever you want on it. if you want a disney sticker on it , bring it with you for them to put on.

OK this is the DH who travels on business (far too much).

We are lucky in that I have US Airways frequent flyer bag tags. This is good because it has my name and the airline logo. If my bag gets lost, whoever finds it can go to the US Airways counter or bagage claim and return it. US Airways will in turn contact me. This is good because there is no personal info (address or phone number) on the tag. It adds a bit of security.

I know other companies (e.g. other airlines and American Express) offer similar services.

If you are driving, there is far less chance that your bag will get lost so just about anything will work. I suggest keeping the infomation short enough get your bag back (i.e. last name and phone number and maybe resort).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter