How did Castaway Cay weather the storm? How is it now?

JD&LYD

Mouseketeer
On the Sept. 30 Western. Wondering how CC is and if they cancelled any stops yet. Anyone been there since Irma?

DCL updated the Eastern 9/23 cruise to a Western, and it includes a stop at CC. The 9/15 and 9/16 sailings are said to operate as scheduled, so it sounds like CC will be fine.

We were there on Sunday on the Dream. We couldn't see any damage at all on the island. We had just visited in August on the Fantasy. There was some seaweed in the water on the family beach that had most likely churned up from the storm. Also, our family ended up going back to the ship early due to all of us having issues with Sea Lice. None of us rode the slides so it had to be from the family beach water. When we went in August the only person in our party that had an issue with the sea lice had ridden the slides. I will make sure to bring the lotion next time.

We were there on Sunday on the Dream. We couldn't see any damage at all on the island. We had just visited in August on the Fantasy. There was some seaweed in the water on the family beach that had most likely churned up from the storm. Also, our family ended up going back to the ship early due to all of us having issues with Sea Lice. None of us rode the slides so it had to be from the family beach water. When we went in August the only person in our party that had an issue with the sea lice had ridden the slides. I will make sure to bring the lotion next time.

Thanks for the update, however I am sorry to hear about the sea lice.

Did you see the cat?

Thanks for the update on the sea lice! We'll be there in two weeks, so I'll need to bring the lotion.

UMM What is sea Lice. I've been to CC 6 times and I have no idea what you are talking about!!! What lotion???

From Al.com:
What are sea lice?

Sea lice - also known as beach lice or Sunbather's Eruption - are the larvae of thimble jellyfish. They are generally found in warmer waters, such as those in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean, and are most active between April and August. They are tiny specks, no smaller than a grain of pepper, and are almost invisible.

What happens if you get bit by sea lice?

Generally, sea lice bites occur when the tiny baby jellyfish get caught between a swimmers' skin and their bathing suit, other clothes or even in their hair. If that happens, they will sting, though swimmers usually don't know they've been bitten right away. The itching from the sea lice usually doesn't start for four to six hours after leaving the water when people break out in an acne-like rash in the areas covered by their bathing suits or in crevices such as their armpit. The symptoms generally last two to four days but can last as long as two weeks. The rash can go away on its own or, in some cases, require more intensive medical treatment.

So it sounds you have to apply the lotion under your swimsuit too, not just to exposed skin? Also, is this only necessary at CC, or other Caribbean beaches too? We are on Western itinerary mid-October.

So it sounds you have to apply the lotion under your swimsuit too, not just to exposed skin? Also, is this only necessary at CC, or other Caribbean beaches too? We are on Western itinerary mid-October.

Sea Lice are larval jellyfish and can be found anywhere in the Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico. They are more common when the water is above 76º.

They are not an issue if you are just swimming and touch one. The issue is when they get caught between your skin and clothing - swimsuits, t-shirts, rashguards, etc.

The best way to avoid stings is to swim naked. As that is not a possibility at most beaches, there are several things you can do to help.

Right after leaving the beach take a freshwater shower without your suit on.

Applying calamine or oatmeal to itchy areas can help.

Some recommend the lotion Sea Safe, opinions vary on whether it is effective and whether it contributes to sunscreen pollution of the oceans.

If you do decide to use it, it needs to be applied under swimsuits.

Just off the Dream this morning. We were on CC on Wednesday and it was beautiful. We did have some extra seaweed floating around, but not a big deal. There were 6 of us, and we spent lots of time in the water! No sea lice issues for any of us.

We have been to CC several times. Used lotion only the first time because we heard of "sea lice" on these boards; but we have never had any issues ourselves.

They're seasonal. So people that say they've been to CC many times and never had an issue, prolly go at a different time of year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter