How did you surprise your kids?

stace1214

DIS Veteran
For our trip in August we'll be traveling to a hotel near the airport we're traveling from and then surprising our children in the morning just before we leave for the airport. They won't think anything is up going to a hotel, we often travel with my husband for work, they'll think it's just a work trip. How did you surprise your children? They will be 5 and 7 and have been asking to go back to Disney for over a year now. TIA!

We did kind of a mix. We told the kids we were going to visit family in AZ (which we did do, just for the holidays not fall break). The morning of the trip, we had to wake them up early to get ready to head out. I told them that I knew it was early so I had something that would help make their trip a bit more fun and clue #1 as to where that was would be waiting when they finished getting ready (dressed, brushed teeth, shoes on, final carry-on and luggage items handed over, etc.). Man, you never saw 2 kids get ready faster! We had a fun scavenger hunt with clues around the house and the last clue at home was a hangman which they finally figured out meant they had to go to the airport gate. The final clue there admitted we'd lied about the destination and that we were going to WDW and had a guide book for kids and home-made coupon books that were personalized (I got the coupons off the Creative DISigns board -- they are so wonderful!). Of course, what they didn't know is WDW wasn't the first stop. So when we drove up at PBR at USO, they were confused and had no idea where they were. They were peeved at first but finally DS asked the check-in lady where they were and they discovered we were starting our vacation off at USO. We did something similar when ours were 6 and 4 and we went to DLR where we just asked if they knew where they were.

After my dad died, I kind of felt we needed to act on our dreams of getting our family to Disney World. When my in-laws told us they wanted to buy the kids their plane tickets for their first trip via plane, we knew the time had come. We planned the trip for 8 months and kept adding little things to the trip as we could afford. When the day of departure came, we told the kids (daughter was 10 and in 4th grade, my twin boys were 9 and in 3rd grade) their Grandma and Papa were flying to California, and for whatever reason, really wanted us to meet them at the airport to say good-bye. This was a crazy stretch, because it meant getting up at 4AM, just to drive to the neighboring town to go to the airport, but none of our kids questioned the validity of this request. When we got to the airport, we parked the car and went inside to meet my in-laws. When they got there, we announced that Grandma and Papa weren't going anywhere, but we were going to Florida and Disney World. They were shocked and super excited! We had bought each kid their own little backpack and had all kinds of travel goodies in them, so we gave them their bags right after the announcement. My husband and father-in-law had to go back to the car and get our luggage that the kids never even saw in the back. I had talked to all of their teachers and had all their school work packed. I even knew my daughter would freak out a bit about not getting to say good-bye to her friends, so I had written them a note and given it to her teacher to give her friends the day we left. Sure enough, my daughter did freak a little about that, but calmed down once I explained that I had her school work and left a note for her friends. We had the best trip too!

My daughter is now 12 and in 6th grade, and my boys are 11 and in 5th grade. We leave again in four weeks for our second surprise trip. We wanted to wait until the night before, or morning of again, but my daughter is involved in more school sponsored activities and a couple major extra-curricular events will be held while we are gone. After the second permission slip came home for an event she won't be here for, we knew we were going to have to hold the "reveal" sooner than we wanted. So two weeks ago, we wrote out the letters, "We are going to Florida Feb 23!" one letter per card, then played cards with the kids (we love playing games as a family). Each time someone won, we gave them a letter. It didn't take long for them to realize what was going on, so they were trying to get the games to go a little faster. After a couple hours, all the letters were handed out and the kids started trying to figure out the message. We got them on video as they solved it. It was awesome! As much as we loved the "morning of" surprise last time, I'm loving sharing the anticipation with them this time. It's fun to talk about the things we want to do, and to think about how warm it will be down there. Plus, I'm hoping they will get some/most/all of their school work completed before we leave instead of spending hours in Florida getting it done.

My daughter will be 20 months so no surprise needed this trip but when I was in 7th grade, my dad had taken my brother out to Alta Ski Resort in Utah during a business trip, and left me at home. Didn't know at the time that in a few months he was taking me to Disney (and USO) for a couple days. He woke me up for what I thought was school, but had a camera in his hand.
I thought he was just being funny but then he said 'get up, or you'll miss your flight...'. Then he threw the ticket on my bed and I realized where we were going. Funny enough, we had a few mishaps (and if anyone had ever had a Disney slip up, it usually means your trip's gonna get a whole lot more magic) and ended up with the VIP treatment for the few days we were there.

The last time we when DS was 5 and we didn't tell him until AFTER we landed in Orlando. I have the benefit of having a sister that lives in FL, so I just told him we were going to see Auntie...and we did, after 5 days at WDW. We got in late and had to collect our luggage, and then when we didn't go to rent a car he asked how we were getting to Aunties. I told him we were going somewhere on a bus first and he would need a special ticket. I got out his magic band and told him that was his ticket, since they were still in the original box he was able to put 2 and 2 together and freaked out (in a good way) right in front of the Magical Express stand. He keep saying "We're really going to Disney World? We really are?" I don't think he believed me until we got to our hotel! It was awesome!

I did a scavenger hunt of clues for DD9 and DD4. The clues were pictures of the castle, our resort, a calendar with the departure date circled and some pics from past trips. I also numbered them so they knew which order to open them so it made a little more sense. The 9 yr old figured it out right away and the 4 yr old got enough of it to know it was Disney World related. Good luck!

One trip, we had everything packed for the kids, we picked them up at school (ages 6, 12, 12 & 17) told them we were going on a road trip and to get comfy. We live in NC, the oldest had it figured out when we crossed the FL state line, but kept the secret until the others figured it out..lol One time we had a Disney stuffed animal for each of them...had strings tied to them and wove the strings through the entire house and attached that to a card. They had to read their card at breakfast and follow the string to find their stuffed animal that was holding a Disney gift card. Another time we told them we were going on a trip and had our den filled with tons of balloons ( I would guess it was 100+). They had to pop them all to find he piece of paper that had the location of the trip written on it. Disclaimer-VERY LOUD and crazy!

I just booked a weekend trip for my son and I April 7-9. I am telling him we are visiting a friend in Atlanta and then driving to the airport. He said 10 and I've never surprised him before. Just a quick trip but he has no idea. I figured I may never have the funds again. So go for it.

We told them we were planning a trip but not exactly when. Then when the day came, we started driving them to school, but then turned right instead of left and said we decided to go to Disney instead. One burst into tears because she wanted to go to kindergarten to learn to read and if she misses school she won't ever read.

We have already told my girls that we are going on a kind of boring work trip with daddy. At the airport I plan to pull out a book I am making, and have my 6 year old read it to her little sister. The book will reveal the trip!

We did a very simple surprise reveal. Daughters are 4 and 6. We packed for everyone. On Saturday we got up as usual and had a leisurely morning. Then I told girls to go see daddy for a minute. He had the camera running while I put Minnie ears on them and said "you have to wear these today because we are leaving for Disney world now"! They of course screamed like crazy/jumping all over the place They had never even been on a plane before so a basic reveal worked perfectly!

I waited until the morning of. Woke up daughter age 6 and had a trail of disney easter eggs going to the computer. On the computer was a note that said hit play. Once she did, a video I made of our previous trips played on the TV. At the end of the video it said "when do you think we will go again". She still didn't get it so she followed another traIL of eggs which led to a box contains magic bands and a disney shirt that said "this princess is going to Disney 2016". I then asked her what she thought it all meant and she said we're going to Disney but she said it kind of as a question. So I said very excitedly that yes, we are going to Disney. She then asked when and I even more excitedly said TODAY! Well, then she freaked and even said "thank you so much, I never expected this". Now she wants me to surprise her with every trip lol

I surprised my DD9 and DS6 by asking them to open a large box containing a 3-piece Disney luggage set. Inside each luggage held a hint of some sort and they have to either do an activity or answer correctly before getting the combination to unlock the luggage. The final "clue" in the carry-on luggage (smallest) revealed the big news on the trip - and that we were leaving in 2 months!

I decided to give them a bit more notice (rather than day of) so there're more time to "stay" excited - while we count down to the travel day. More importantly, they can help pack and get things ready for the trip! It's also great to get them involved in planning - picking our FP+ and first rides (they love it knowing that they have a say and hopefully will have less complaints on the day...).

I think we will tell the boys, 5 and 2, about the trip as soon as we receive our Magic Bands. The 5yo already knows we are going somewhere and flying there for spring break. He just has no idea where yet. We leave in 29 days and I hope the bands get here soon. I want to give him a little bit of time to be excited.

The first time we did it, the kids thought that we were going to work, as we usually did, and we were dropping them off at their grandparents house while we worked. When we arrived at the exit for the airport, we told them what we were doing. All smiles, except my daughter, who cried happy tears until we taxied out of the gate. The second time, Christmas morning, we put all the park passes in a gift bag that said "We're going to Disney World! Get dressed!" Needless to say, they were packed and ready in record time. Now, with them being older and much busier in their lives, I don't know if I will ever be able to surprise them again.

The first time we took The kids DS was 6 and DD was 2. We NEVER told them. We told DS we were going on a plane ride "for fun" and then DH had him read the "welcome to Walt Disney World" sign. He got this shocked look on his face and asked, "are we going to Disney?" I said, "no, we are are already here!" He was so excited! Best surprise ever! He knows we have a trip planned but not when, I would to wake the kids up at 3 in the morning and tell them we are going that day. They are 14 and 10 now but I usually cave and tell beforehand.

First time DD was 4 and we loaded her up in the car super early to catch our flight. Before we went into the airport we gave her a bag with Disney goodies and asked if she wanted to go to Disney. She was excited but I don't think she really understood what she was in for!

Second time she was 5 and DS was 9 months, I asked her if she wanted to know ahead of time or be surprised again, she picked surprise, so we did something similar but surprised her with a box that had Disney stuff for her and DS and a sign that said we are going to Disney!

This time she will be 7 and DS will be 2. At first she said she wanted to know ahead of time, but then said she wanted to be surprised again. She said she remembers when we put her in the car at 4 and drove to the airport, and she wants us to do that again lol. I'm not sure how to do that without her figuring it out because it's a super early flight, but I will try :)

I wish I could hold the secret in to surprise our daughter. I'm probably more excited and anxious than she is! Maybe I will try surprising her with the actual day by telling her once we get to the airport (we also have a really early flight) to get some of the surprise and excitement back.

My kids (dd7 tomorrow and DS 1.5) have never been and we are going in August. I've been planning this trip since last August and it's been so hard not telling DD. She saw a Disney world commercial on TV a couple of weeks ago so I casually asked her what she thought Disney world was. She said she thought it was a place where you went into a TV and ate with Disney characters!:rolleyes: so I explained a little more about it and she said she really wants to go but it would have to wait until she got out of school for the summer. I told her I would love to take her someday but we would have to save up the money so it wouldn't be anytime soon.

So this coming Friday we are having her birthday party. First, I'm going to bring in a small box from on the porch that "came in the mail." It's going to have a card from Mickey and Minnie wishing her a happy birthday and signed with Mickey's catchphrase of "See ya real soon!" There will also be a small vanilla scented Minnie plush tsum tsum on a birthday cupcake (sold at Disney Store) that says 2017 that will be from Mickey and Minnie. Then I bought her an American Tourister suitcase that has a design that looks like fireworks on it and the brand tag across the front actually says "Official Luggage of Walt Disney World." Inside it are going to be all of her wrapped presents. We got her an old Disney World barbie still in the box that is wearing mouse ears and says Disney World on the box (great find at Salvation Army). We also got her the Deluxe Princess autograph book, the Guide to the Magic for kids book (excellent kids guidebook by the way), a Disney World 2017 photo album, Disney 2017 picture frame, a frozen decorate yourself luggage tag kit, the free Disney planning DVD, a Disney world shirt (also one for her brother), a Disney map I found for free at Disney Store, and a Disney calendar with our dates in August circled. We aren't planning on out right telling her about the trip but are hoping that she will figure it out herself as she is opening the gifts. My mom got her a frozen bathing suit (1 piece which should make DD stop and think about it because I've only ever bought her 2 piece tankinis but told her a while back that you need a 1 piece suit on the waterslides at Disney), frozen sunglasses, and frozen water shoes. She will also be getting a few Disney gift cards from people. I'm curious to see how many gifts she has to open before she figures it out. She can be oblivious at times though, so if after all of that she still hasn't figured it out, I'm going to hand her a box with plane tickets I'm going to design with our dates that show we are going to Florida (she knows Disney is in Florida).

I'm also going to try to keep her from bugging me too much with "is it August yet" questions by doing themed nights where we watch a Disney movie and associate it with a country, and do some fun related things. For example, watch Mulan, make origami, cook Chinese food together, and eat fortune cookies. Watch Pocahontas, pick berries, have a picnic, and explore a state park. Watch Brave, practice with her kids bow and arrow, wear a kilt, and listen to Scottish music. Etc...

I'm also going to surprise her and her brother shortly before the trip with personalized tote bags my TA is creating for them with their name and a Mickey head logo and they will be filled with various Disney themed snacks and coloring books, and activities for on the plane. Then while we are there, the kids will receive a couple of Tinkerbell gifts such as glow sticks, pressed penny book, some mini plush tsum tsums, Disney beach ball, lanyard with a couple of pins, vision glasses, etc.

Having written all of that, it sounds like a lot overall, but it is their first trip and we probably won't be able to go again for several years, by which point I'm sure she will be too old to really "believe the magic." With the Tinkerbell gifts it is all stuff I've picked up for ridiculously cheap. I hope she is as excited as I am (I'm excited for my son too, but he is just too little to understand the planning and anticipation).

Last edited:
We surprised DS a couple of years ago when he was 6. The previous year DH and I went to Jamaica for a friend's wedding so we stuck with that. Our Disney trip was planned right around our 10th anniversary so we told him that Mommy and Daddy were going back to Jamaica for our anniversary and he was staying with my IL's while we were away. He thought we were planning a Disney trip for the following year so he was involved in all of the planning without realizing it.
Unfortunately our plan kind of blew up in our faces. We had to leave around 4am for our flight. The cars were packed, including the gift bag of Disney stuff I had next to his seat. The last thing we had to do was move cars around before we woke him up to leave (We have 3 cars and a 2 car driveway). Just as we finished I looked up at the house and realized his room light was on. DH went into the house and found DS crying on the steps. He looked out his window and thought we were leaving him. He was hysterical, didn't care at all about the gift bag of stuff. When he did open it and I told him that we were going to Disney he cried because he wanted to go to Nana's. In the end he loved everything, it was just a little overwhelming at 330 in the morning. Now we are 6 months from a trip but he wants to surprise his brother this time. The problem is that his brother will be 18 months old, life is a surprise for him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter