How did you surprise your kids?

We are going for the first time November 25-Dec 3 with FD. I know we want to surprise them but no idea how (DS-9, DD-4 and DD-3). I'm loving this forum for ideas!

We are heading out November 26 until
December 2.
Right now the plan is to coordinate with the Disney store (a employee there said they LOVE helping with surprise trip announcements) and surprising them there...due to my son's anxiety - we plan to surprise him about a month before we leave ☺️

I didn't/don't surprise them at all. For us, looking forward to and planning the trip as a family is part of the fun. I save the surprises for the actual trip. Once, I had a limo pick us up at the airport (they loved that), a surprise dinner with Cinderella at the castle, etc..

We have done 3 or 4 surprises. All went fantastic, and they prefer that over knowing ahead of time.

First time I woke them up early, and a letter from Mickey was on the table. ODS read it outloud to YDS. They ran into the living room to find their packed luggage. We were on the road to the airport about 20 minutes later.

Next time, we left later afternoon. I did a scavenger hunt that ended with them finding the packed luggage in the back of the car.

The next time, we left on my birthday, and I had said my only wishes for my day were breakfast at our favorite spot (a diner by the airport) and the Soundtrack to Frozen. At the diner, we gave them the magic bands ;)

Finally, last year, we were in Florida at Cocoa Beach. We told them we had a day planned at Disney Springs. Drove to airport, turned in car, hopped on DME. 2 nights at POR. They LOOOOOVED it.

We will be surprising them in 70 days, too. Not sure how, yet. I like the balloon idea, popping them to get the letters.

We are from Illinois, and last year, we drove to Cincinnati to watch a Cubs-Reds game. This year, we have tickets to do it again. We will pack a few days worth of clothes and tell them that we will stay and do some other stuff other than just going to the game, and we're not sure when we'll be home. After the game, we will get in the van and start driving south, and tell them once we're on the way that we're going to WDW for the next week. We have never surprised them before for a trip, although we've always wanted to, so it's really hard to keep it secret.

In January we told our kids absolutely NOTHING about the trip. They thought they were driving me to the airport for a work trip. Then DH suggested they walk me into the airport ... and then to the gate (they're 3 and 5 and don't understand airline safety protocol). When they called to board the plane I asked if they wanted to go on an airplane for a boring old work trip with me, to which they got excited. Once in florida, we got to Port Canaveral and checked into a hotel without any consequence. The next morning, Minnie and Mickey called to let them know we were going on a cruise and they lose their freakin' minds! It was GLORIOUS.

After the cruise was over, we got onto the bus and told them we were headed to the airport. When we got to POR, they were confused but didn't question it assuming we were just at another hotel until it was time to get on the plane. It wasn't until the next morning when we were on Main Street heading to our ADR at CRT that the magnitude of what was happening sunk in. Seeing the castle resulted in an amazing shriek and she literally jumped ten feet in the air.

The next time we go, we're planning on driving the 18 hours to Orlando (god help us) and don't plan on telling them our final destination. I can't deal with the "are we there yet's" ad nauseam.

It was hard to keep our mouths shut for that long, but totally worth it. But the next few legit work trips I had required me talking them off the ledge and making sure they understood I didn't secretly work at Disney World! LOL!

Love all of these stories! We're taking our kids next year for our son's fifth birthday and he is SO ready. Part of me wishes I could just tell him in advance, but I know he's too young to really understand. We probably won't tell him until the night before. But seriously, this kid is so obsessed with Disney World youtube videos that he re-enacts the castle show with Mickey and everyone. Has us all come into his room and sit down in front of his castle playset while he says, "Ladies and gentlemen! Boys and girls! Welcome to the Magic Kingdom, where dreams come true!" It's so adorable and he is going to be SO excited when we surprise him!

I am thinking of having his grandparents over for cake the night before his birthday and giving him his present then. Something along the lines of Mickey ears and a few other things to help give it away - lots of good suggestions here!

Love all of these stories! We're taking our kids next year for our son's fifth birthday and he is SO ready. Part of me wishes I could just tell him in advance, but I know he's too young to really understand. We probably won't tell him until the night before. But seriously, this kid is so obsessed with Disney World youtube videos that he re-enacts the castle show with Mickey and everyone. Has us all come into his room and sit down in front of his castle playset while he says, "Ladies and gentlemen! Boys and girls! Welcome to the Magic Kingdom, where dreams come true!" It's so adorable and he is going to be SO excited when we surprise him!

I am thinking of having his grandparents over for cake the night before his birthday and giving him his present then. Something along the lines of Mickey ears and a few other things to help give it away - lots of good suggestions here!

Aww, that is SOOO cute! I'm sure he will be super excited when he founds out about the trip!

My kids (dd7 tomorrow and DS 1.5) have never been and we are going in August. I've been planning this trip since last August and it's been so hard not telling DD. She saw a Disney world commercial on TV a couple of weeks ago so I casually asked her what she thought Disney world was. She said she thought it was a place where you went into a TV and ate with Disney characters!:rolleyes: so I explained a little more about it and she said she really wants to go but it would have to wait until she got out of school for the summer. I told her I would love to take her someday but we would have to save up the money so it wouldn't be anytime soon.

So this coming Friday we are having her birthday party. First, I'm going to bring in a small box from on the porch that "came in the mail." It's going to have a card from Mickey and Minnie wishing her a happy birthday and signed with Mickey's catchphrase of "See ya real soon!" There will also be a small vanilla scented Minnie plush tsum tsum on a birthday cupcake (sold at Disney Store) that says 2017 that will be from Mickey and Minnie. Then I bought her an American Tourister suitcase that has a design that looks like fireworks on it and the brand tag across the front actually says "Official Luggage of Walt Disney World." Inside it are going to be all of her wrapped presents. We got her an old Disney World barbie still in the box that is wearing mouse ears and says Disney World on the box (great find at Salvation Army). We also got her the Deluxe Princess autograph book, the Guide to the Magic for kids book (excellent kids guidebook by the way), a Disney World 2017 photo album, Disney 2017 picture frame, a frozen decorate yourself luggage tag kit, the free Disney planning DVD, a Disney world shirt (also one for her brother), a Disney map I found for free at Disney Store, and a Disney calendar with our dates in August circled. We aren't planning on out right telling her about the trip but are hoping that she will figure it out herself as she is opening the gifts. My mom got her a frozen bathing suit (1 piece which should make DD stop and think about it because I've only ever bought her 2 piece tankinis but told her a while back that you need a 1 piece suit on the waterslides at Disney), frozen sunglasses, and frozen water shoes. She will also be getting a few Disney gift cards from people. I'm curious to see how many gifts she has to open before she figures it out. She can be oblivious at times though, so if after all of that she still hasn't figured it out, I'm going to hand her a box with plane tickets I'm going to design with our dates that show we are going to Florida (she knows Disney is in Florida).

I'm also going to try to keep her from bugging me too much with "is it August yet" questions by doing themed nights where we watch a Disney movie and associate it with a country, and do some fun related things. For example, watch Mulan, make origami, cook Chinese food together, and eat fortune cookies. Watch Pocahontas, pick berries, have a picnic, and explore a state park. Watch Brave, practice with her kids bow and arrow, wear a kilt, and listen to Scottish music. Etc...

I'm also going to surprise her and her brother shortly before the trip with personalized tote bags my TA is creating for them with their name and a Mickey head logo and they will be filled with various Disney themed snacks and coloring books, and activities for on the plane. Then while we are there, the kids will receive a couple of Tinkerbell gifts such as glow sticks, pressed penny book, some mini plush tsum tsums, Disney beach ball, lanyard with a couple of pins, vision glasses, etc.

Having written all of that, it sounds like a lot overall, but it is their first trip and we probably won't be able to go again for several years, by which point I'm sure she will be too old to really "believe the magic." With the Tinkerbell gifts it is all stuff I've picked up for ridiculously cheap. I hope she is as excited as I am (I'm excited for my son too, but he is just too little to understand the planning and anticipation).

I just realized that I never did update on how our trip reveal turned out. She opened the Disney gift cards, suitcase, planning DVD, luggage tags, beach stuff, shirt, photo album and frame, guidebook, autograph book, calendar with our date circled, Barbie, and map and was COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS! Then we let her open the card and tsum tsum from Mickey and Minnie and she thought that it was really neat that they sent her a present, but still wasn't putting it all together. There was a lovely lady here on the boards who sent my kids a postcard from WDW from Mickey and the gang that says, "We can't wait to meet you on your first trip to Disney World." We happened to receive that the day of the party, so after opening everything and still not understanding, i gave her the postcard. She read it, looked confused, read it again, then almost whispered, "We're going to Disney World?" Then yelled, "Oh my gosh, we're going to Disney World!" I have the whole thing on video and it was such a memorable reveal.

The last time we when DS was 5 and we didn't tell him until AFTER we landed in Orlando. I have the benefit of having a sister that lives in FL, so I just told him we were going to see Auntie...and we did, after 5 days at WDW. We got in late and had to collect our luggage, and then when we didn't go to rent a car he asked how we were getting to Aunties. I told him we were going somewhere on a bus first and he would need a special ticket. I got out his magic band and told him that was his ticket, since they were still in the original box he was able to put 2 and 2 together and freaked out (in a good way) right in front of the Magical Express stand. He keep saying "We're really going to Disney World? We really are?" I don't think he believed me until we got to our hotel! It was awesome!
YES!! This is going to be us in 6 months!! They think we're going to the beach, my daughters requested a trip to the ocean as the official next trip when we left wdw in 2013. They are now 10 and 6 and I'm hoping they will be just as blown away as your son was when we tell them surprise get on ME for 6 days at the world before 5 at the beach!!

We are going the end of August. Right before school starts. We are also driving..every other time we have gone we've flown. So, I plan to act like we are going to the beach..they will have no clue what so ever. Obviously the ride is gonna be longer...but I'm hoping to wait until we hit the Disney sign...it's literally killing me at this point.

I saved one of the personalized postcards that Disney sends after you book a trip and put it in the mailbox the day we left.Then I sent her to get the mail.

I just realized that I never did update on how our trip reveal turned out. She opened the Disney gift cards, suitcase, planning DVD, luggage tags, beach stuff, shirt, photo album and frame, guidebook, autograph book, calendar with our date circled, Barbie, and map and was COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS! Then we let her open the card and tsum tsum from Mickey and Minnie and she thought that it was really neat that they sent her a present, but still wasn't putting it all together. There was a lovely lady here on the boards who sent my kids a postcard from WDW from Mickey and the gang that says, "We can't wait to meet you on your first trip to Disney World." We happened to receive that the day of the party, so after opening everything and still not understanding, i gave her the postcard. She read it, looked confused, read it again, then almost whispered, "We're going to Disney World?" Then yelled, "Oh my gosh, we're going to Disney World!" I have the whole thing on video and it was such a memorable reveal.

Could you please point me in the direction to find someone who will send a postcard? I did that several years ago, but I don't remember how I set it up & can't seem to locate it here. thank you.

Could you please point me in the direction to find someone who will send a postcard? I did that several years ago, but I don't remember how I set it up & can't seem to locate it here. thank you.

I was about to send the link for the Fairy godmailer thread, but it looks like you just posted over there. That's where I found someone. Hopefully someone reaches out to you there. Good luck!

I absolutely love reading all of these surprise stories. I wish I had it in me to keep a secret. Haha. Every trip we go on my 4 year old, is right there planning it with me. Talking about what fast passes we should get, making autograph books and where we should eat. It really helps us live the magic before the trip. BUT reading all of these makes me really want to surprise her!

I did help a friend surprise her kids (6 and 8) though- we made a 3-D castle invitation inviting the kids to Cinderella's castle at Disney World. It was hand delivered by Elsa and Cinderella (rented from the local party company). The Kids LOVED it.

My kids (dd7 tomorrow and DS 1.5) have never been and we are going in August. I've been planning this trip since last August and it's been so hard not telling DD. She saw a Disney world commercial on TV a couple of weeks ago so I casually asked her what she thought Disney world was. She said she thought it was a place where you went into a TV and ate with Disney characters!:rolleyes: so I explained a little more about it and she said she really wants to go but it would have to wait until she got out of school for the summer. I told her I would love to take her someday but we would have to save up the money so it wouldn't be anytime soon.

So this coming Friday we are having her birthday party. First, I'm going to bring in a small box from on the porch that "came in the mail." It's going to have a card from Mickey and Minnie wishing her a happy birthday and signed with Mickey's catchphrase of "See ya real soon!" There will also be a small vanilla scented Minnie plush tsum tsum on a birthday cupcake (sold at Disney Store) that says 2017 that will be from Mickey and Minnie. Then I bought her an American Tourister suitcase that has a design that looks like fireworks on it and the brand tag across the front actually says "Official Luggage of Walt Disney World." Inside it are going to be all of her wrapped presents. We got her an old Disney World barbie still in the box that is wearing mouse ears and says Disney World on the box (great find at Salvation Army). We also got her the Deluxe Princess autograph book, the Guide to the Magic for kids book (excellent kids guidebook by the way), a Disney World 2017 photo album, Disney 2017 picture frame, a frozen decorate yourself luggage tag kit, the free Disney planning DVD, a Disney world shirt (also one for her brother), a Disney map I found for free at Disney Store, and a Disney calendar with our dates in August circled. We aren't planning on out right telling her about the trip but are hoping that she will figure it out herself as she is opening the gifts. My mom got her a frozen bathing suit (1 piece which should make DD stop and think about it because I've only ever bought her 2 piece tankinis but told her a while back that you need a 1 piece suit on the waterslides at Disney), frozen sunglasses, and frozen water shoes. She will also be getting a few Disney gift cards from people. I'm curious to see how many gifts she has to open before she figures it out. She can be oblivious at times though, so if after all of that she still hasn't figured it out, I'm going to hand her a box with plane tickets I'm going to design with our dates that show we are going to Florida (she knows Disney is in Florida).

I'm also going to try to keep her from bugging me too much with "is it August yet" questions by doing themed nights where we watch a Disney movie and associate it with a country, and do some fun related things. For example, watch Mulan, make origami, cook Chinese food together, and eat fortune cookies. Watch Pocahontas, pick berries, have a picnic, and explore a state park. Watch Brave, practice with her kids bow and arrow, wear a kilt, and listen to Scottish music. Etc...

I'm also going to surprise her and her brother shortly before the trip with personalized tote bags my TA is creating for them with their name and a Mickey head logo and they will be filled with various Disney themed snacks and coloring books, and activities for on the plane. Then while we are there, the kids will receive a couple of Tinkerbell gifts such as glow sticks, pressed penny book, some mini plush tsum tsums, Disney beach ball, lanyard with a couple of pins, vision glasses, etc.

Having written all of that, it sounds like a lot overall, but it is their first trip and we probably won't be able to go again for several years, by which point I'm sure she will be too old to really "believe the magic." With the Tinkerbell gifts it is all stuff I've picked up for ridiculously cheap. I hope she is as excited as I am (I'm excited for my son too, but he is just too little to understand the planning and anticipation).
I LOVE all of this! Especially the themed nights and watching the movies. I may have to do that. I hope your kids love it!

I LOVE all of this! Especially the themed nights and watching the movies. I may have to do that. I hope your kids love it!

Thanks! They both love the theme nights. DS is 2.5 now and we still do theme nights about once a month even though we probably won't make it back until next year. He's finally to the point where he can sit down and watch a movie and enjoy the themed activities and snacks so he gets excited when he sees his "movie ticket" on the table. He loves seeing pics from our trip and apparently remembers it, which shocks me given his age. Last week before bed, he told me he missed Gickey, Puto, and Tigga. I told him I did too and sometime we would have to go back to Disney and see them. He bolted out of the room and I found him at the front door with his boots on, trying to leave. I asked him where he was going and he told me, "We go Di-ney, see Gickey, Puto, Tigga." I had to carry him to bed bawling because he just couldn't understand why we couldn't get in the car and go there RIGHT NOW at 9pm in MI.

I think when I reveal our next trip, I might have to wait a little closer to the actual trip. Maybe I'll surprise DD separately earlier and let her help me plan a surprise for her brother shortly before the trip.

We surprised our kids by telling them we were going to DH's work event. They had no idea until we pulled in and they saw the big Disney World sign. They love that memory to this day and 7 more visits later!!

Well, we haven't done it yet, but this is what we plan to do in a few weeks...

Every month I print off a calendar from a Word document on my computer with symbols for what each day's main activity will be. I started this when DD was about 4 years old to help her know what days she went to day care vs. pre-school and which days she had swim class or dance class. Now that's she's older I also put in birthday parties, holidays (like Christmas and Easter) or any other thing we're doing that I have advance notice of. She really likes knowing what is going on ahead of time, she doesn't roll with things or play things by ear too well. She is 6 now and at the end of the month really looks forward to the new calendar so she knows if there are any days off from school or other special activities planned. You probably know where this is going...

We have a trip (her first trip actually) planned for the last week of April, so probably on March 30 I'll give her April's calendar...with symbols for the trip! The day we fly I have an airplane, then our first park day I have clip art of Cindy's castle, the next day Epcot, and so on. The day we fly home I have another airplane. Not only will she know we're going but she has a built in way to count down for the trip and will know what we'll be doing each day of the trip and how long we'll be there. I want to tell her a few weeks before we go so she can enjoy looking forward to it but not so far in advance that she's asking every 10 minutes when we are going. I mean she'll ask anyway but this way I can just tell her to look at her calendar!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter