How do first responders know who to call?

ckay87

demented and sad...but social
This is something I've been thinking about lately. I live alone. I have 2 grown (sort of) sons who don't live with me. I have a serious boyfriend who also does not live with me. If I were in an accident, for example, how would first responders know who to contact? I would think this would be a concern for anyone who lives alone (thinking about my mother, also, for example).

You used to hear about putting an "ICE" contact in your phone (In Case of Emergency) so people would know. However, I have thought about how many people's cell phones are locked, so that would be a problem.

You used to hear about putting an "ICE" contact in your phone (In Case of Emergency) so people would know. However, I have thought about how many people's cell phones are locked, so that would be a problem.
Iphones have emergency contacts you can access even if the phone is locked. You can also input info about allergies, meds, etc.

You are right, didn't even think of that.

I guess they look at your license and get your home number from there. If nobody is there to get the call I'm not really sure how they would reach someone though.

Gah! I can't get the link to work properly. If you google how do I put emergency info on my iphone, the instructions will come up.

My phone isn't locked, so I would assume they would check my contact list and call my DH and our DS since the last names would be the same.

Or, can't they just look at your driver's license for your name/address and make some calls with that information? Or check your insurance card and get information that way?

I'll have to see if I can figure it out for a Samsung. But I'd venture to guess that most people aren't forward-thinking enough to figure out how to set that up in their phones. I mean, this seems like a common enough situation. I'd love to hear from a first responder/ER nurse/doctor point of view.

Where is that? I'm a new Iphone convert

On the bottom left of the screen where you enter your Passcode, there is the word "Emergency." You can touch that which comes to a screen where at the bottom left corner says "*Medical ID." If they touch that they can access the information you have included there. I have my DOB, my husband's contact information and my blood type.

To enter that information into your phone, click on the Health <3 app on your phone. Then click on Medical ID * at the bottom and enter your information. You can include medical conditions, notes, whether or not you are an organ donor, allergies, medications, etc.

Thank so much for posting that info, I'm sure it is going to be helpful to alot of people!!

This is something I've been thinking about lately. I live alone. I have 2 grown (sort of) sons who don't live with me. I have a serious boyfriend who also does not live with me. If I were in an accident, for example, how would first responders know who to contact? I would think this would be a concern for anyone who lives alone (thinking about my mother, also, for example).

Well I think that if you were taken to the hospital, the hospital probably has emergency contact info in their system if you have ever been to that hospital (or if your doctors office records are linked to the hospital) because that's something that you typically have to fill out on your personal information sheet when you go to the doctor or the hospital.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter