How do I get DW excited about California?!

Well, if you took 1 all the way from Newport Beach through Long Beach, Redondo Beach, etc, all the way north, I can understand that it would take quite a while.

If you mostly want the coastal route north, I would take I-5 to downtown LA, then I-10 over to Santa Monica, and pick up Highway 1 there. Indeed, Google maps says that route, and then 1 up to Cambria, is only 10 minutes longer than I-5 to 46 to Cambria. For scenery, I'd take Highway 1 north from Santa Monica.

HTH,
Bob

Well, if you took 1 all the way from Newport Beach through Long Beach, Redondo Beach, etc, all the way north, I can understand that it would take quite a while.

If you mostly want the coastal route north, I would take I-5 to downtown LA, then I-10 over to Santa Monica, and pick up Highway 1 there. Indeed, Google maps says that route, and then 1 up to Cambria, is only 10 minutes longer than I-5 to 46 to Cambria. For scenery, I'd take Highway 1 north from Santa Monica.

HTH,
Bob

Wow that is so suprising! Hubby hates doing the grapevine in winter, especially if it's foggy! there was a huge pile up on the north side of it this past Jan. just before or after we were there, don't remember which. In Jan. 2009 the fog was so thick you could not see to cross the street outside DL! and there was a big pile up same place again. I realise the fog may be on the coast as well, but at least you are not being forced to drive like a mad man or trying to avoid all the mad people on the I5 who seem to think there is no reason to slow down just because you can not see a darn thing! So what do you think? does the fog on the coastal road get as thick as coming down the grapevine?
edited to add: we did the long trip all the way up the coast through Oregon in July. we encountered a lot of fog early in the am, and again in the late afternoon. Does that happen in winter as well?

There are so many things to do in California! I really recommend taking a food tour while you're at it because you can't get better Mexican anywhere else. La Super Rica in Santa Barbara is amazing, but the wait is kind of long, so you shouldn't go during peak hours.

Also, I think the beaches in Santa Barbara should get anybody excited to go to California!

Sounds great, except we'll be there like March 2nd or so. Won't the water be *SUPER* cold at that time?

So what do you think? does the fog on the coastal road get as thick as coming down the grapevine?
edited to add: we did the long trip all the way up the coast through Oregon in July. we encountered a lot of fog early in the am, and again in the late afternoon. Does that happen in winter as well?

In the summertime, we get coastal fog. That's primarily May-Sept, and can get pretty thick on the coast, though it usually burns off by noon. The central valley is almost always perfectly clear all day long.

The wintertime is just the reverse. The coast is usually clear. But the central valley can get a very thick tule fog. This can get so thick, so bad, that it causes 50 car pile-ups on I-5. The tule fog generally comes only Nov-March.

HTH,
Bob
(sitting in an unusually heavy, unseasonable coastal fog at the moment)

It cracks me up, being 40 year old native of Santa Cruz, that "Lost Boys" really put us on the map.:laughing: I've met many a European tourist that came here because of "Lost Boys" too. When it was being filmed around town I never thought it would become the sensation it is today. Many of my friends including my husband were extras in it, so it's fun to watch every now and then.
Anyway since your wife seems to like the weird end of things, in Hollywood I suggest staying at The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. It's full of "ghosts". We stayed in haunted room 928. Montgomery Clifts ghost is said to haunt it. Hmmm maybe it felt a little haunted. If you can't stay there the lobby is worth a look. It's beautiful. I do believe the whole "Tower of Terror" ride is based on the hotel as well.

It cracks me up, being 40 year old native of Santa Cruz, that "Lost Boys" really put us on the map.:laughing: I've met many a European tourist that came here because of "Lost Boys" too. When it was being filmed around town I never thought it would become the sensation it is today. Many of my friends including my husband were extras in it, so it's fun to watch every now and then.
Anyway since your wife seems to like the weird end of things, in Hollywood I suggest staying at The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. It's full of "ghosts". We stayed in haunted room 928. Montgomery Clifts ghost is said to haunt it. Hmmm maybe it felt a little haunted. If you can't stay there the lobby is worth a look. It's beautiful. I do believe the whole "Tower of Terror" ride is based on the hotel as well.

I can see how that would be funny and weird at the same time :) ... One thing I always hated about "Santa Carla" though.... all the darn vampires.

I did look at that hotel, but we are trying to go the cheap route as we're 8 people on one bill ( my, dw, kids, brother, parents ), so we're probably gonna do the Days Inn on Sunset. But I think we will definitely check out the lobby as suggested!

In the summertime, we get coastal fog. That's primarily May-Sept, and can get pretty thick on the coast, though it usually burns off by noon. The central valley is almost always perfectly clear all day long.

The wintertime is just the reverse. The coast is usually clear. But the central valley can get a very thick tule fog. This can get so thick, so bad, that it causes 50 car pile-ups on I-5. The tule fog generally comes only Nov-March.

HTH,
Bob
(sitting in an unusually heavy, unseasonable coastal fog at the moment)

lol... guess you have to change your time frame for fog to include October! :) now how does the fog situation relate to the 101? we would be travelling that for a ways if we don't take the I5 (which I must say is sounding a better option)

I was in Central Valley from June to September, and not one single drop of rain. And coming from Florida, with rain showers like clockwork over the summer, it totally weirded me out. But it is also where most of your produce comes from, so heading to a local flea market on the weekend was a lot of fun. Tons and tons of fruits and veggies for pennies a pound. I'm sad that going back, most of the fall harvest will be over.

My first trip out there, I was so disappointed that I wasn't near anything I wanted to see when I thought of visiting California. I made this topic
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2456284

Now I'm obsessing over Yosemite, and I just want to go back there every weekend if possible. Here's some of my pictures of Yosemite
http://s559.photobucket.com/albums/ss31/SandrA9810/Yosemite National Park/

I have read about bus tours that go to Yosemite that leave from San Fransisco at like 4am. I don't know if that would be better or worse than driving it yourself.

lol... guess you have to change your time frame for fog to include October! :) now how does the fog situation relate to the 101? we would be travelling that for a ways if we don't take the I5 (which I must say is sounding a better option)

Fog isn't usually and issue in Oct. on either route. Although we just received some heavier than usual rain today, which gave way to some fog. Personally I prefer the 101 route no matter what time of year it is. 101 is so much more scenic and relaxing I feel it outweighs any time you might gain on 5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter