How do I get over my "Disney Depression"?

John Teopaco

John John
I'm at work folding shirts for 4 straight hours and I start to realize, "I just had an amazing time at Disneyland 2 days ago and all of a sudden I'm back at work folding shirts like I usually do." From riding the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride to having an amazing time at Goofy's Kitchen to staying in the park until 1:00 am because I didn't want to leave, I find myself being depressed and not thinking about anything else except Disneyland. Keep in mind, I'm a huge fan of Disneyland, but because I am a college student with a college budget, I can only afford to go once or twice a year. And I still feel like that is not enough. I find myself thinking about moving to Anaheim, becoming a passholder, and maybe working there, but it's just not in my budget. Sure I can do the college program, but it is TOUGH to get in the college program at Disneyland because obviously the park is smaller than WDW and there aren't that many spots open compared to WDW. I keep looking back at my photos from the trip and watching Youtube vlogs from people who are Disneyland locals which gets me more jealous.
Also, I'm in a situation where no one else around me is as Disney obsessed as I am. They think me wanting to do the college program and working at Disney is idiotic and that I should grow up. HELL NO.
I've been invested in this company for the whole 20 years I've been alive and I'm not stopping now. I just need help on how I can get over this or at least waiting it out until the next time I go to Disneyland.
How do I get over my post Disneyland depression with only going to the parks once or twice a year?

How far away do you live from Disneyland?

It sounds like you're still quite young. I was once a poor college student. But in a few short years, you could be making a salary and able to go much more often!

I hear ya! Disneyland is such a magical place and people just don't "get it" until they've been. I know our family didn't understand until recently when they went for the first time, now they're just as Disneyland obsessed as we are!

Planning the next trip helps, as well as coming here and talking about all things Disney/Disneyland with others who love it just as much. It'll get better once you get back into the routine of everyday. It's so hard trying to come back from such a fun time and get back into reality. :tink:I'll send some pixie dust your way!

Our annual passes expired a month ago, and I now have to get re-accustomed to the idea that we'll only get to go once a year again. I fill in the gaps with way too many cute Disney tops, and with Disney decorative items in the house. And planning my next trip, even though it won't be until March.

The PP tarheelalum gave some good advice -- that's what I usually do when I'm missing DL -- I focus on my next trip.

To give you a bit of hope, I was in college for A LONG TIME (Bachelor's and then immediately to grad school) and was also on a tight budget. During college, it just wasn't in my budget to go to DL, not to mention the time of working AND going to school. Now, 6 years after my completing Master's program, I'm a Deluxe AP and go multiple times a year (we live in NorCal). So just keep your chin up and imagine how awesome it will be when you're out of college and are able to go more often!

Last edited:

I listen to podcasts & music while doing chores or driving to work, and will sometimes look up Disney recipes to make at home. I hear you on not having many Disney people around... even those I know that are a little Disney nutty don't really talk about it in the 'real world'. Its a bit of a bummer...! Planning my next trip perks me up, even when it is far off. :D

Don't dismiss the College Program idea! My sister applied to it, and had a happy semester working at DCA on the Muppets and Bug's Life shows. She had experience in a movie theater, so it made sense to assign her there! Your retail experience might give you a similar leg up. There may be fewer spots available in the DLR program, but there are also fewer people applying for those spots (WDW is the more popular program). You never know if you'll make it until you try.

I think you should try to work for the parks if that is what you want. It's not crazy at all. My best friend worked there for 10 years and some of her friends have been there 20. They all love working for the Disney company. It's hard work and the standards are very high but the people who work there are all extremely nice and as Disney obsessed as you are.

Why not do the WDW college program? I have a young friend who is a janitor in MK there in the CP. She wanted DL, but took WDW when it was offered, and she ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. So much, that she extended her stay, and when it was done, she came home for about 8 months, and goes back next month.

And don't listen to those people who think it is idiotic. They obviously :D know very little!

I go through serious withdrawals in years I don't do Disneyland. We alternate years because with a family of 5, it's too expensive. In our off-years, we visit other theme parks and I buy way more merchandise at the Disney store. I also try to fill my time blogging and listen to podcasts a lot more often.

Living in the willamette valley, as a 60 year old visitor, it more about texture to ease the pain, rather than focusing on the thrill. The music seems to capture most of us when we tear up entering the tunnels......so have a singular track on your CD, that is an anthem of your feelings, not a disney sound track, but something that pumps you up, for me that is Duran Duran Wild boys, full blast on the stereo, that takes away the disney depression.....the texture of NOS is found in a shopping mall in Eugene, oregon, sitting there with a drink, eating a strange pastry, that takes away the depression, Eugene also has a great train station and fun places to eat. In salem they have a stern-wheeler and a great pedestrian bridge to look at the river and all the activity, a true river of america . Also downtown Salem is still Main Street USA, some fun windows to view and architecture. And the freeway clover leafs, push the speed limit and you are on RSR. Farmers markets, art shows in the park, concerts on the river....those give me the crush of people, that crush of people may actually be the cause of my depression when leaving Disneyland, all of us at Disneyland, walking in purpose to have the same harmony, to find magic at every turn.

The PP tarheelalum gave some good advice -- that's what I usually do when I'm missing DL -- I focus on my next trip.

This is exactly what I do. I always feel melancholy when our trip is over so I just think of when our next trip will be and focus on that. Even if I don't have specific dates yet, I know a general timeframe and that makes me feel a lot better.

I think you should try to work for the parks if that is what you want. It's not crazy at all. My best friend worked there for 10 years and some of her friends have been there 20. They all love working for the Disney company. It's hard work and the standards are very high but the people who work there are all extremely nice and as Disney obsessed as you are.

It really depends on the job you're applying for. When I was getting out of the military in 2014, they had an opening for Quality Control at DLR. As a veteran, we're "suppose" to get special hiring preference, so I thought I was a shoe in with all my 10+ years of QC/QA experience. After a month of the job closing, I didn't hear anything from Disney, but saw my status change from Step 1 to Step 2 on the careers dashboard. When I called to check on the status, I was transferred to the hiring manager, and she said they were still reviewing candidates. I kindly asked if my veteran preference made any difference and she said "it'll help you and the other 300 veterans that have applied for the position." Needless to say I didn't get the job.

However, there are other part time and full time jobs in retail in and around DLR and DCA that are always hiring...at least thats what I see in the Disney Careers website.

One thing to keep in mind...mixing business with pleasure doesn't always work out too well.

Thank you all for the great advice. I've given it a couple days since I last posted so that way I could see how I would feel when a little time passes by. I am still really down about not being at Disneyland, but I found out that watching disney movies and vlogs makes me feel a lot better than I did before. I am also considering transferring to a university in SoCal (because I am in community college right now in NorCal) just so I can get closer to Disneyland, while also trying to get a degree in business. I still have things in my house that remind me of my trip (mugs, shirts, hats, figurines, etc.) that get me down a little, but I realize that I just need to do what I need to do in school and work, and eventually I will get back there. I am also considering taking a trip during halloween/ christmas time because I have always gone in the summer which means I will need to save a lot of my paychecks and sell some of my shoes (Jordans) just to get back to the place I love. Also, I just watched the Disney channel movie Lemonade Mouth again and that soundtrack makes me feel so much better than I did before. Fingers crossed I get into the college program. Sorry for the late and long response I am still very new to the Dis boards.

I'm at work folding shirts for 4 straight hours and I start to realize, "I just had an amazing time at Disneyland 2 days ago and all of a sudden I'm back at work folding shirts like I usually do." From riding the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride to having an amazing time at Goofy's Kitchen to staying in the park until 1:00 am because I didn't want to leave, I find myself being depressed and not thinking about anything else except Disneyland. Keep in mind, I'm a huge fan of Disneyland, but because I am a college student with a college budget, I can only afford to go once or twice a year. And I still feel like that is not enough. I find myself thinking about moving to Anaheim, becoming a passholder, and maybe working there, but it's just not in my budget. Sure I can do the college program, but it is TOUGH to get in the college program at Disneyland because obviously the park is smaller than WDW and there aren't that many spots open compared to WDW. I keep looking back at my photos from the trip and watching Youtube vlogs from people who are Disneyland locals which gets me more jealous.
Also, I'm in a situation where no one else around me is as Disney obsessed as I am. They think me wanting to do the college program and working at Disney is idiotic and that I should grow up. HELL NO.
I've been invested in this company for the whole 20 years I've been alive and I'm not stopping now. I just need help on how I can get over this or at least waiting it out until the next time I go to Disneyland.
How do I get over my post Disneyland depression with only going to the parks once or twice a year?
Be grateful that you can go a few times a year, especially at your young age. I'm in my 40's and only became able to afford visits to WDW a few years ago. A lot of people will never be able to afford such a trip.

Also, let your enjoyment of these vacations be a motivator to you to stay focused on your education and future career. As you already know, you'll need to make more money to make more future trips. Focusing on doing what it takes to become successful (rather than on what you can't have) will be more pleasant than pining over Disney, and also more effective at getting you an opportunity to go back.

Listen to Disney related music, watch Disney movies, hang out here on the message boards, and if you have a ton of photos, create an IG account--that's what I do and it really helps!

Many have posted what I do, and that is plan the next trip! May I suggest you plan a couple of trips during the "off season" instead of summer? Perhaps during Dapper Days (spring/fall)? Even if you don't go this year, you will be in the know for next year! Plenty of time to plan and save for a couple of trips! Check out www.dapperdays.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!