• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Do I Get This Out Of My Head?...

Jodi

DIS Veteran
Help you guys - I can't get the $ amount of a point out of my head! This is awful!!
Points wise, we all know you get the most bang for your buck when you stay @ a DVC resort. However, b4 I knew "how much" a point typically rents/sells for, I was content to use my points to book a Disney Cruise. Now I keep comparing how many points DCL uses, then convert it into $10 pp, then realize that they're "charging" me less if I pay cash.

Help me get out of this mind set 'cause it's driving me nuts. I used to say to myself "cool, I'm going on a cruise for 'free'", aside from the dues each year of course. Now I'm punching #s into a calculator & getting angry 'cause everyone's trying to rip me off & get my points from me when monetarily, they're worth more.:rotfl:

I know I could just rent my points & use the $ that way, but I've never done that b4 I don't really want to start turning my DVC membership into a money thing.
Am I nuts or does anyone else feel the same???

Jodi

We have gone on 2 DCL cruises using points in spite of the prevailing wisdom on the boards.

I don't think that the points actually "cost" us/you $10 each, that's just the going rate for selling them. If I were to rent the points out, I would agonize over the "what if" the renter's grandmother dies and they can't go and yes they knew that the transaction was final, but really really, did you actually mean that if you can't get another time within your use year that we would actually lose our money! THAT's one scenerio that I would try to keep getting out of my mind, and that's why we will continue to use and enjoy our points as we want.

There is also the "trashing room scenerio" in which the renters have an animal house party in the villa.

So, these are the scenerios I want to avoid, and I do it by enjoying my points "MY WAY!"

Bobbi:goodvibes

Personally, I would not worry about such things. Would of, could of, should of....... why worry. Just enjoy the points and trips you can take with them. You can't nickel and dime everything. Enjoy the life, don't sweat the small stuff! In 10 years, what you paid for your points will seem like a steal.

We are in a perpetual state of borrowing and I find that the knowing the value of a point on the rental market helps a lot in reducing add-on-itis. Yes, we could buy more points and stay at the DL hotel or go on a Disney cruise, but its easy to say no to more points when you compare the price.

But when you own the points already, then use them in the way that brings YOU the most enjoyment. If, over time, you never stay at a DVC resort (where everyone agrees you will get the most bang for your buck), then it might be time to consider selling the membership. But until then, have a great cruise!

-- Suzanne

Think about the work and stress involved in renting. There is no magic that says you will have any easy time exchaning those points for cash! IMHO, not worth it - let someone else (CRO/MS/WDWTC) be your Travel Agent and handle all that grief.

Don't worry about what they do with those points after you've turned them ove for the cruise - it's like paying someone to change your oil or cut your grass or do your taxes. Sure you could do it yourself for less, but why would you want to, LOL?

Just think about the wonderful vacation you are going to have!

Help you guys - I can't get the $ amount of a point out of my head! This is awful!!
Jodi...you are financially "valuing" a point at some arbitrary figure.

Why not value it for what it brings to you? If it brings you a nice cruise, and you're happy with it, what's the value there?

I know what they'd value it at in a Mastercard commercial! :)

Great thoughts, guys. Thanks a bunch, really. I know I get caught up in putting a $ amount on things too much. We just came back from a 4 night cruise & 3 nights @ a 2BR@ OKW. We paid for the cruise, and know that we won't be able to do this again for a while.

But you guys are right, I need to think about why we purchased DVC in the first place, to enjoy any type of Disney vacation when we otherwise might not have the funds to.

So I will stop sulking about how much a point is worth if I rented it (what a nightmare that'd be for me) & go ahead a start planning.:woohoo:

Thanks for the input, it's so nice to be able to "speak" with other DVC members!!

Have a great weekend!

Jodi

Think of it this way. Renters have to offer more money per point than you can get for your exchanges, or fewer people would put their points out for rent and would use them for cruises and exchanges themselves.

If exchanges require fewer points, more DVC members would exchange. If more DVC members exchange, there are fewer points to rent on the rent boards. If there are fewer points to rent on the rent board, then the price per point goes up. Eventually, the price per point goes above the exchange value and you are back to square one.

So from your perspective, you just need to decide that the renters haven't offered enough yet to woo you away from using your points yourself.

Happy Cruising

We totally plan to bank some pts. from this yr. into next yr. to use toward a cruise. We went on the last West Coast cruise and LOVED it :cloud9: and have been itching to go again - but have also vowed not to spend such a chunk of change again on a single vacation...that was a huge splurge for us by the time we added 3 n at DL with it. We've looked at a lot of scenarios using the pts. VS paying cash & I really think if you use the pts. for a cruise in the right season with the right cat. cabin you can come out just fine using pts. for the cruises (it also depends on the length of the cruise). We bought into the DVC to cut down on our annual out of pocket expenses for our vacations and I would much rather "spend" our pts. for a cruise than dish out an additional $5-7 K out of pocket when we HAVE the pts. sitting there to use (we would probably only travel during a peak / summer or holiday season because of school). Paying cash during those periods adds up FAST regardless of when / where you go. We will feel less pain using pts. You should enjoy your pts. however you wish! They're yours to use and I really wouldn't loose sleep over trying to save a couple of hundred dollars by renting them out!! Just pick the right date to go, the right length & the right cabin category & I think you'll sleep fine. (IMHO) :thumbsup2

If you want to get involved in the work, hassle, and risk of renting points, there is no question that you can come out ahead renting points and paying cash for the cruise.

But not everybody is built that way. There are actually two schools of thought -- the "best value" school, and the "good value" school.

The best value folks say you will have to rent a lot less points to pay cash for the cruise than you will spend for the cruise on points...and they are right.

The good value people say it doesn't matter what the "rate of exchange" is, I bought DVC points for vacations and if I'm happy with the value I receive for my points, that's all that matters. They are also right.

If you look at your points cost and you are happy with the value, use your points to take a cruise. If you look at the rental picture and decide you don't want to be bothered, use your points to take a cruise. You'll come out ahead emotionally.

If you look at the rental picture and are okay with it, rent points, pay cash, and you'll come out ahead financially.

Like many things DVC, there is no "right" answer. The correct answer is the one that fits your particular situation best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter