How do I prioritize tickets on MDE? Do I even need to in this situation?

I have a situation also. Maybe someone can chime in. We have complementary hoppers we received when Irma came while we were at Disney last year. We have 9 day hoppers for our upcoming stay and are doing a park on arrival day so we can use the extra ticket. Do we need to prioritize the comp ticket for our first day? or does it really matter.

I have a situation also. Maybe someone can chime in. We have complementary hoppers we received when Irma came while we were at Disney last year. We have 9 day hoppers for our upcoming stay and are doing a park on arrival day so we can use the extra ticket. Do we need to prioritize the comp ticket for our first day? or does it really matter.
As long as the one day ticket is also a hopper it won’t matter... however adding a 10th day to a 9 day ticket costs $13ish/person. I would not use a 1 day ticket worth over $100 for a tenth day.

Marking tickets as inactive does nothing at all in relation to using them inadvertently for park admission.

Yes, as I found out... so why even have that active/inactive designation in MDE?

At least for us this should be the last time we go through this, as this was the last remaining no-expire ticket for anyone in my MDE group.

Last edited:
Yes, as I found out... so why even have that active/inactive designation in MDE?

At least for us this should be the last time we go through this, as this was the last remaining no-expire ticket for anyone in my MDE group.
I have NO idea! But I agree with you, it makes no sense to me either. Plus, I don't understand why they can't give the guest the ability to designate what ticket to use when, if they are going to have a system that can't figure it out based on age, or some other obvious method that is stated so everyone knows before hand what ticket will be used automatically. There should be something on there that clearly shows the guest what ticket is primary. How else do they know?

I got so very annoyed with both them and myself on our last trip. It was my fault for not handling the ticket and moving it myself and avoiding putting myself in the situation where I had to get it fixed but if they didn't have such an idiotic system in the first place I would have never had to deal with it period. In our case, we have AP which expire between 2 trips and I wasn't sure when I planned to renew the AP during trip 1 or when we returned for trip 2, since both were in our renewal window, it depended on how much we spent on trip 1. I had to use some tickets I was using for someone else for future trips and just used those to book FP for the 2nd trip, just until we got our AP renewed. If I moved the tickets out of our names I got an alert from MDE that we needed tickets for trip 2 or it was going to cancel the FP. So I moved the out of our names until I got those messages and then would move them back to our names until we got ready to enter the park that day, until I forgot that one last day, when it did use a ticket entitlement instead of our AP. Which is frankly asinine. As I told the CM when we went to fix it, but in a nicer way. I said that y'all do realize that no guest would ever realize that they should even have to be concerned about what ticket is being used when and that an AP should always be priority over a ticket. Then that CM actually tried to look me in the face and say, with a straight face, that there would be a time when someone with an AP would rather use a ticket instead of their AP when they entered the park!!!!! I was so annoyed that I had to spend over an hour of what should have been our pool time dealing with fixing a problem that shouldn't even exist in the first place.
On top of that, I had to explain several times that just getting a single day ticket back wasn't sufficient, that I needed the entire ticket back because I needed to reassign these tickets to the correct guest, that these tickets were not going to ever actually be used by DH and I, how we only had them in our names until we renewed our AP. She finally got it, and did reissue the original ticket and all is good but wow, was it a mess that should have never been.

In your case doesn't matter unless you think you want to add another day at the end of your trip for any reason. But if you plan to use all those tickets on 1 trip and never add to the 9 day ticket, it will not matter which is used on the first day and which is used on the last day. If there is even a small chance you'd want to turn your 9 day ticket in to a 10 day ticket, then it does matter.

It's intended to control *physical* media, not any tickets associated with them. I don't recall anything in MDE that will activate or deactivate *tickets*, just bands/cards.

Remember, once a "hard ticket" is associated with your MyDex account, the physical card that was purchased has no connection with the entitlements on it that is any different from any other band/card on your account. The physical object is now just a gateway to your account. Once I made that realization, things became much easier to understand.

Agreed.

It's intended to control *physical* media, not any tickets associated with them. I don't recall anything in MDE that will activate or deactivate *tickets*, just bands/cards.

But of course that’s what normal
people are generally trying to do with it. They should understand that.

The physical object is now just a gateway to your account.

That’s not intuitive at all to a normal
person. It’s a bizarre way they’ve done things.

Remember, once a "hard ticket" is associated with your MyDex account, the physical card that was purchased has no connection with the entitlements on it that is any different from any other band/card on your account. The physical object is now just a gateway to your account. Once I made that realization, things became much easier to understand.
Sure, you know that, now. And I do too. Most here do.
Just how would ANYONE know that, automatically though? The avg, off the street guest?
You honestly think when the avg guest sees "deactivate ticket" on their MDE account they don't think it does just that?
Or
When they add a ticket that it then becomes a generic entitlement that can now be accessed via any other ticket card they happen to have also attached to their account? Who would ever, in a million years, guess it worked that way?

I have NO idea! But I agree with you, it makes no sense to me either. Plus, I don't understand why they can't give the guest the ability to designate what ticket to use when, if they are going to have a system that can't figure it out based on age, or some other obvious method that is stated so everyone knows before hand what ticket will be used automatically. There should be something on there that clearly shows the guest what ticket is primary. How else do they know?

I got so very annoyed with both them and myself on our last trip. It was my fault for not handling the ticket and moving it myself and avoiding putting myself in the situation where I had to get it fixed but if they didn't have such an idiotic system in the first place I would have never had to deal with it period. In our case, we have AP which expire between 2 trips and I wasn't sure when I planned to renew the AP during trip 1 or when we returned for trip 2, since both were in our renewal window, it depended on how much we spent on trip 1. I had to use some tickets I was using for someone else for future trips and just used those to book FP for the 2nd trip, just until we got our AP renewed. If I moved the tickets out of our names I got an alert from MDE that we needed tickets for trip 2 or it was going to cancel the FP. So I moved the out of our names until I got those messages and then would move them back to our names until we got ready to enter the park that day, until I forgot that one last day, when it did use a ticket entitlement instead of our AP. Which is frankly asinine. As I told the CM when we went to fix it, but in a nicer way. I said that y'all do realize that no guest would ever realize that they should even have to be concerned about what ticket is being used when and that an AP should always be priority over a ticket. Then that CM actually tried to look me in the face and say, with a straight face, that there would be a time when someone with an AP would rather use a ticket instead of their AP when they entered the park!!!!! I was so annoyed that I had to spend over an hour of what should have been our pool time dealing with fixing a problem that shouldn't even exist in the first place.
On top of that, I had to explain several times that just getting a single day ticket back wasn't sufficient, that I needed the entire ticket back because I needed to reassign these tickets to the correct guest, that these tickets were not going to ever actually be used by DH and I, how we only had them in our names until we renewed our AP. She finally got it, and did reissue the original ticket and all is good but wow, was it a mess that should have never been.

I’m glad you got that fixed. These ticket issue types are a royal pain and complete waste of time. :headache:

I was assured that our AP were priority, that all AP are priority, until the turnstile used one of DD’s 1 day PH hurricane comp tickets. While getting it fixed the next day at GR, we were running late for a photoshoot, so they told us to enter again using another one of our 1 day comp tickets, and that he would fix it later. So 2 comp tickets now used. Fast forward to later - a completely different CM was there. He said he could not add them back to MDE (not true - been there, done that), so wanted to keep it on file in their system with a case number, and that it was a new policy to ensure these issues never happen again. Basically, when I need the tickets in the future, I could now pick them up at GR. Problem was, I could never make advance FPs and didn’t appreciate that they were taking my tickets back from me. All due to a situation that was not my fault. I was not happy and would not leave until he gave me back my tickets somehow/someway. He begrudgingly gave them back on cards, but told me if I lost them, too bad.

We now keep all duplicate tickets in dummy names. Lesson learned.

For our trip next month I had to use one of my extra 9 day PH to book FP for my father until he’s able to renew his AP. Now I just NEED to remember to switch that ticket back out of his name, so I don’t end up in your situation.

In your case doesn't matter unless you think you want to add another day at the end of your trip for any reason. But if you plan to use all those tickets on 1 trip and never add to the 9 day ticket, it will not matter which is used on the first day and which is used on the last day. If there is even a small chance you'd want to turn your 9 day ticket in to a 10 day ticket, then it does matter.
I doubt we will add a day at the end. We did that last year due to Irma and it was just too much. We book out longer than a week vacation so we will be ready to leave lol :) 7 days isn't enough but 10 is on the verge of "Get Me out of Here!" But ..... I will go to guest services at MK on our first day and make sure they use the comp ticket on that day just incase.

OK, I have done this several times; if you are staying at a Disney hotel, the concierge there can prioritize tickets. I've seen someone say not to do that on here, that you have to go to park Guest Relations, but I've done this at least 3 times and every time the hotel concierge has prioritized my ticket for me and it has worked every time (just FYI they also told me not just to deactivate my ticket, but rather have someone go in and prioritize them). I do check it right after entry to make sure the right ticket was used. I don't like messing around with new MDE accounts and such, so I don't. It's personal preference. If I wasn't staying at a Disney Hotel, I'd go to Guest Relations and then check after entry.

Thank you very much! Glad to see I’m not the only Disney veteran who has questions about this!!!

OK I think I *may* be getting a handle on the difference here, and why prioritization can get screwed up so easily. I am going to try a couple tests during my August trip to see if my theory is correct, and of course someone who is well-versed in this may also shed some more light.

When a plastic ticket/card is unlinked to any MDE account, the card and the ticket/entitlement is the same since they are not yet matched up with any account. So a person could use that exclusively and MDE never comes into the equation.

However once that ticket/card number gets loaded into MDE and linked to your account, that changes things and the "ticket" gets added into the bucket of ticket entitlements (if there is more than one ticket number), and for most people they only have one for their account and thus it's the only one that can be used when they tap to enter a park. However if there are more than one, they are equally eligible and the first one available gets used -- maybe the "first one available" is sorted by default as tickets already in use, oldest purchase date, or whatever.

This is why CM help is important beforehand in order to prioritize them properly and avoid them getting used in an order that the guest doesn't want. I didn't do that beforehand since I didn't know better, I merely marked the ticket numbers in the "magic bands and cards" section of MDE as 'active' and 'inactive' and figured that would take care of things. However, since those ticket numbers were already in the entitlements bucket for my account and no longer tied exclusively to the plastic card on which the number is printed. Therefore, the ticket entitlements that was used for entry for my daughter's friend (who is in my MDE group) trip last month were the last two days in the 10-day hopper no-expire ticket that we purchased back in 2014, since that was an "in use" ticket that was partially used. For this particular situation where I made a post earlier in this thread where the last two days of the 10-day no-expire ticket got used inadvertently, I did get an email reply from Disney ticketing a couple days later asking me to call them, and I did and they loaded two complimentary single-day hopper ticket entitlements on our daughter's friend's list and so we are now squared away for her upcoming trip with us in October.

So with this theory, what I wonder is whether a couple of my old plastic ticket cards from several years ago would work for park entry or FP check-ins, even though those ticket entitlements based on the numbers on those cards were long-since used. If I mark them as 'active' then each one would be an active link to my personal MDE account and could access the ticket entitlement just like my MB can. I don't know if it will or not, but will try this out in August and will also have my active MB with me but will try the old cards first (if one works for entry, I'll then try the other for FP check-in) and see what happens, just for the sake of experiment.

You were correct till this
So with this theory, what I wonder is whether a couple of my old plastic ticket cards from several years ago would work for park entry or FP check-ins, even though those ticket entitlements based on the numbers on those cards were long-since used.
No, a ticket that is used, won't be any good. You can't just enter the numbers in make them active in MDE, just because you have the numbers. MDE should see that they have been used, or may not even recognize them, depends on how old they are. There are instructions on how to enter really old tickets

I mean, there's no harm in trying, just don't count on it.

You were correct till this

No, a ticket that is used, won't be any good. You can't just enter the numbers in make them active in MDE, just because you have the numbers. MDE should see that they have been used, or may not even recognize them, depends on how old they are. There are instructions on how to enter really old tickets

I mean, there's no harm in trying, just don't count on it.

Yeah that's what I want to try (like you said, no harm in trying), as you mentioned that once a 'ticket' is used, it's used... what I'm wondering if it will still act as a media card to connect to an available "entry entitlement" (for lack of a better term) on my account in the same way as my magic bands do. They are all still listed in my MDE account under the "magic bands and cards" section, as opposed to the "reservations and tickets" section.

Yeah that's what I want to try (like you said, no harm in trying), as you mentioned that once a 'ticket' is used, it's used... what I'm wondering if it will still act as a media card to connect to an available "entry entitlement" (for lack of a better term) on my account in the same way as my magic bands do. They are all still listed in my MDE account under the "magic bands and cards" section, as opposed to the "reservations and tickets" section.
No, they won't. No more than an old MB will. Neither have any entries left on them. You need active days (entries) on a ticket to allow FP, not just a ticket or MB.

No, they won't. No more than an old MB will. Neither have any entries left on them. You need active days (entries) on a ticket to allow FP, not just a ticket or MB.

Yes I wrote in the above about connecting to an available entry entitlement, which will be on my account. I have 3 bands on my account and any of them work, gonna check to see if the cards behave the same...

Yes I wrote in the above about connecting to an available entry entitlement, which will be on my account. I have 3 bands on my account and any of them work, gonna check to see if the cards behave the same...
Oh, I totally misunderstood what you wanted to do. I thought you were trying to get additional tickets/entries from them.
As to using them instead of a MB, yeah, you can do that, if they are the new RFID type of ticket. If they are the old Magic Your Way style I don't think they work as they don't have the necessary RFID in them. Or something like that.

Are FPs tied to a particular ticket? In my situation, I have a 7 day trip planned for December and have tickets for that trip on MDE. I just booked a short October trip for three nights, so will get 4 day tickets for that. I also have a one day no expiry ticket on DD’s MDE. I understand that I’ll need to get help prioritizing our tickets. My question is whether there is anything I need to do to associate FPs with particular tickets.

Thanks for the help!

Are FPs tied to a particular ticket? In my situation, I have a 7 day trip planned for December and have tickets for that trip on MDE. I just booked a short October trip for three nights, so will get 4 day tickets for that. I also have a one day no expiry ticket on DD’s MDE. I understand that I’ll need to get help prioritizing our tickets. My question is whether there is anything I need to do to associate FPs with particular tickets.

Thanks for the help!
Nope

Having a CM at Guest Services prioritize them is what we do and then we ALWAYS check them in the park after entering (anytime during the day) because 50% of the time they were incorrectly prioritized. The last two times they were incorrectly stacked and the park Guest Services gave each of us a comp day because of the trouble caused.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts