How do I start with this pin thing?

Beck

Earning My Ears
I came to tis board to try and trade disney cards, and haven't had much luck. However in the past few days I have read tons of posts, and I am very interested in this whole pin thing. I am curious as to how to get started, but I don't know what to do. I was just at WDW all week, but I was in such a hurry to do and see everything, I spent very little time looking at all the pins. There are just so any pins out there, its all confusing to me.

Now that I am back home is there an easy way for me to start my own collection, or did I freally screw up not buying them while I was there. Is there a good place for me to really learn about the process of pin trading, how to start, and whats avaliable out there. Also how to I start getting pins if I don't have any to trade? Do people sell them online for a reasonable price, or is everything major mark up?

Can anyone help me with this?

Sorry to sound so stupid, its just all very overwhelming for me.

Thanks,
Beckah :D

Hi Beckah,

Welcome to such a wonderful hobby!

I'd recommend you to do a search on these posts and locate plentiful advice given to similar inquiries before. They all include shopping wisely, locating affordable sources to obtain your pins and especially minding who you send the money to.

If you have no pins and nothing to trade for them, then the best alternative will be to buy some. Normally you get some for your collection and a few extras to trade. There are several sources available for you to buy the pins from. http://www.dizpins.com can give you a head start on some sites and a solid background on pin trading. Doing a search on the Internet can help you find other sites. Every once in a while you luck out and find a kind soul selling the pins at cost to benefit those living away from the parks.

And remember what is most important: Making friends in the spirit of what Disney means to all of us and having fun!

Wanda

Hi Beckah.
No, you don't sound a bit stupid. Pin trading can be overwhelming when you first begin. This is an excellent place to come for advice on getting started as there are veteran pin traders, Disney Cast Members and new traders like yourself. The members here are very supportive and helpful so feel free to ask any questions. Remember, you're probably not the only curious person who's interested in finding out the "how tos" of pinaticism.

Most of us start by picking a theme (such as a favorite character/movie or Disney resorts or rides, special events such as holidays) and go from there. There are several types of pins available. Rack or common pins which are available in large numbers and limited edition pins which are limited to a set quantity such as 1000, 2500, 5000, etc. pieces.

You may purchase rack pins directly from Walt Disney World and Disneyland phone ordering (retail price plus shipping). You may also purchase rack pins online from several dealers as well as the auction sites (prices vary from small to large markups. Some of the veterans can steer you to the more reasonable secondary dealers if you prefer to buy directly rather than cope with auction sites).

You may also use online dealers and the auction sites to purchase the limited edition pins although you can't order these from Disney directly.

The main thing is to learn your market so that you don't short change yourself by paying too much for a pin that appeals to you. This is a great site for that kind of advice.

Again, welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself. That's the most important thing.

Thanks so much for the help and the friendly advice. I'm going to do a lot of reaserch before I start buying...and I can't wait. Thanks a bunch!!

Once you do get started you will be hooked. Welcome to hobby you can get away with saying, whathca got.
Just remember there is no turning back now.
Kris (pinaddict):rolleyes:

Pin books lots and lots of pin books. I amu up to 7 of the big ones and 4 of the smaller ones, Yes it is a sickness that we all feed. But everybody has a differant way so what ever you can come up with.:smooth:
Kris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter