How do people my age afford to go to Disney so much?!

Agreed. To the degree that my acquaintances talk about the financial aspects of their vacations, it seems like most put them (all or in part) on credit cards and then pay them it over time, presumably paying interest along the way. Few people I know sound like they save the full cost of vacation ahead of time.

We save the full cost ahead of time. $125 from every paycheck plus taking advantage of gift card deals where we can. And anything that does get put on a cc for points is paid off in full almost immediately. I'm allergic to interest on my credit cards so we do everything we can to make sure we don't incur any.

My kids go once to three times per year and they are mid to late twenties. Of course it helps that we pay for lodging (we own DVC) and pay for their food. They buy their plane tickets and DVC Gold APS that we use for a minimum of two trips. Their week long trip costs them around $500-$600 per person.

I think it depends. Yes, credit cards, but some people just have more disposable income than others.
I was a regular poster on this particular board up until about 10 or so years ago, maybe a bit longer. I was even a DVC owner back then, but sold it years ago. This was almost exclusively the only board that I read or posted on because I enjoy personal finance in general. For some reason my original name (dvcgirl) was not available to me any longer (possibly due to inactivity?)....so I just took the name dvcgirl67 because it was the original name with my birth year. I haven't been to Disney World in ten years, but I am struck that the same themes are just as prevalent now as they were then. I came back because we're contemplating a trip in 2021. So many new additions in the World!

But the answers truly don't change to the OP's question. It's as simple as income versus expenditures. Some people probably don't even think about booking extravagant Disney vacations. Others book extravagant Disney vacations that they can't afford. Others are extravagantly wealthy but choose to take more modest vacations at Disney. It truly runs the gamut. The advice that all personal finance experts give now is the same as it was 30 years ago. The greatest piece of advice is to never measure your own financial situation against others. You have no idea how people are taking all of these vacations.

What I do know is that student loan debt is at an all time high. Credit card debt is at an all time high. Wages have increased (slightly) in the last several years, but nowhere near as much as they should. And surely, the stock market is booming (but this helps only some of us, not most of us). And for those of us enjoying opening our 401K statement lately....it is not money that should ever be spent on a vacation while still in the wealth accumulation phase.

This moment in time reminds me very, very much of the other two times in my adult life when there were pie in the sky predictions regarding the economy. I vividly remember 1999, when Yahoo stock hit 400 and while I was young, I remember thinking...(but they haven't made a penny in earnings). Shortly thereafter, the Nasdaq went from 5000 to 2000. Then in the early 2000's....home prices were positively skyrocketing, for no apparent reason. And we all know what happened in 2007/8. So, in my house, we're enjoying life, but getting bit more conservative and looking at big expenditures in the next year or so. I've seen this movie twice before, and I know how it ends.

All of that to say....if you're wondering how all of these people are taking all of those Disney vacations....you're asking the correct questions.

I think it comes down to: You always have time and money for the things that are truly important to you. Some people scrimp on everything else to have nice vacations. Some people go wildly into debt for nice vacations. Some people forego things like home repairs, college savings, or orthodontia to afford nice vacations.

On a similar note, you find time for what matters to you. You can say you want to lose weight until you're blue in the face, but if you don't actually get off the couch and go for a run or hit the gym, it's just words.

Bottom line is, you can't worry about what "others" do or say. You have no way of knowing if they're making great money, had a big inheritance, are in debt up to their eyeballs, are being subsidized by the Bank of Mom and Dad, or if they rob banks in their spare time. If you find that other people's lives are interfering in your enjoyment of your own choices, it might be a good time to step back from Facebook, etc. Really, if your choices make you happy and you're living within your means, you're doing fine. Someone's always going to have more...and someone's always going to have less.

It's "simple" money management. First off, don't be deceived by other people's lifestyles. There are oodles of people who go to WDW, including many who participate within these forums, who have no business being there: people collecting government assistance, people who spend their entire savings on Disney vacations, and of course, people heavy in debt and spending on credit. Surveys show that 55% of Americans, and nearly two-thirds of Millennials, lack sufficient savings to cover a $1000 emergency. And more than half of those aged 55 and over have absolutely no savings set aside for retirement (including 401K). Yet isn't it amazing that every person who spends lavishly at Disney tries to convince you that it's within their means?

I worked for years as a volunteer financial counselor (and yes, I have the qualifications) for a local nonprofit. I know how ignorant people are with their money, and how they convince themselves that they are entitled to every luxury they desire. What I admire most about Disney, is its ability to convince people to part with their money. There's oodles of people within this forum who don't think twice about dropping $25K at Disney every few years, and wouldn't spend less because that one-week vacation just isn't magical. Yet, for some reason, they would never consider driving a Porsche when all they can afford is a Honda... even though for what they're paying for Disney, they could get many years of magic, and not just days, out of that Porsche. But do you know what else is magical? Having sufficient savings to pay for a new furnace when the incumbent one fails, or having sufficient savings to pay for their daughter's braces or having a sufficient savings to help their son out with college. But of course, one week at Disney in a concierge floor at the Polynesian Resort, stuffing themselves silly on the dining plan while riding It's A Small World for the 100th time seems to prevail. Sorry, honey, you'll have to fix those crooked teeth yourself! And son, I'm sorry that you'll be more focused on repaying tens of thousands in student debt when you graduate college than a job, but hey, we didn't have the money!

That said, you can easily enjoy many vacations (that you can afford) at WDW - again, it's all about money management. When we were in high school and college, my (slightly) older brother and I worked the same job. I was the first person to ask if there were any extra shifts I could pick-up. He was the first person to volunteer to give his up. Later, we met up with our then-girlfriends at a popular chain steakhouse My girlfriend and I each ordered the Monday special -- an 8 oz. steak with a salad, side, and brew for $10; we paid about $30 (w/tax and tip) for our meals He and his girlfriend started with onion rings, then each ordered the surf & turf and washed it down with a few beverages. They paid over $100 for their meal, much of it left behind (they HATE the idea of re-heated food). I didn't get a flat screen TV until 2012, when the price on a 40" dropped below $300. We've upgraded our main TV, but we still use that one in one of the bedrooms. My brother bought his first flat screen TV in the early 2000s, chucking out a few grand. He's spent tens of thousands since upgrading his set - he tells me that my 2012 is so bad, he can't stand to watch it (while we don't notice a difference). Last week, my brother told me that his family cut the cord on cable, after years of spending hundreds of dollars per month for the best package. My family has long used "bunny ears" to watch OTA TV and was an early adapter of Netflix -- beyond that, we've never paid for subscription TV.

My niece loves strawberries, and last month my sister-in-law showed me the beautiful strawberries she purchased from Whole Foods for $5.99 (per lb.) My family purchased the exact same strawberries from a traditional supermarket for .99 (per lb.) Later, we met-up at Starbucks. This is an occasional treat for my family -- we prefer to make our own drinks at home, but we do enjoy an occasional treat at Starbucks and on this day they had all drinks BOGO - plus, we purchased a gift card for $10 on Groupon. My sister-in-law reminded me that they go to Starbucks "all the time."

Obviously a boring narrative, but you get the idea. Your goal should be to stretch your dollars, and pick-and-choose your luxuries.
agree completely........

It would've been easy for me to go then. I was double income no kids with no student loans. Now, it is more of a struggle.

On a budget board, the answer is going to overwhelmingly we save, we scrimp elsewhere, and/or we have high paying jobs. The boring answers.

In reality, I think there are a ton of people who go into debt for Disney vacations (or other vacations) and that is how they fund them. Statistics don’t back up the idea that nearly everyone who is vacationing often are financially healthy and just budgeting for it.

I agree with this based on what I’ve seen in the parks.

I work with folks who buy new cars in cash that won’t go to Disney because it’s too expensive now. They’re waiting for the discounts to come back again.

Alot of has to do with spending habits. We go once a year and spend quite a bit of money but like I said, its because we only go once. Now if I had AP and was planning ahead to visit several times, then I wouldn't spend the amount of money that I do now. I wouldn't eat out at high price restaurants, I'd bring in snacks, I wouldn't buy any merchandise at all, I would literally narrow it down to bare minimum. I think that has alot to do with it. It's hard to understand how someone else can afford to go so many times because your basing that off what u spend to go 1 time and u spend based off going 1 time. I could absolutely afford to go multiple times a year but I would have to change my current spending habits while I'm there. Also, u can get extremely cheap flights during off season, I fly from Indianapolis at xmas for $275 round trip but I can take the same flight in off season for $100 round trip. As I do think knowing ur going several times a year makes a big difference in ur spending while ur there, I also side with DGsAtBLT about using credit cards and going in debt.

I agree with a lot of what has been said. If I were to have gone to WDW at your age, it would’ve been on a credit card. Being older, I’ve paid off my school and credit card debt. We are religious about paying off our credit cards so can use those to accumulate points and miles towards trips. We’ve both advanced in our careers, have been relatively frugal, and are on track for retirement and college savings. It’s just a different phase in life for us. As you are asking the right questions, I’m sure with good planning you will be in the same boat soon.

Debbie Downer has entered the room. :)

There are some good points there. Being frugal is good. There is almost nothing about a WDW vacation that can be considered being frugal. I live in New England, and this might be the last year we ever go because the flights are just getting way too expensive. But I have known a mother and her daughter that used to fly down once a month. There is a lot of wealth that is being passed down from the oldest generation to the the next generations. I chose my parents and grandparents poorly so I am missing out on that great wealth transfer.

At the same time never having any fun because you haven't socked enough away to replace your furnace if it dies is not a fun way to live either. I have seen too many folks my age or younger suddenly die of heart attacks and cancer. Don't live every day like you are dying tomorrow, but don't assume you will live forever either and keep postponing your life.

With all due respect, this is an asinine thought process, and the fact that a large number of posters "liked" it is disturbing. Do you have a job? Do/did you go to school? If so, why? You could be dead tomorrow, you should be enjoying life! The idea that people don't twice about spending thousands of dollars for a one-week (!) vacation to Disney World, but have no money saved up for emergencies, their kids' braces or college funds, is troubling. Ultimately, the latter are a larger investment toward a better quality of life than WDW. And no, most people who travel to WDW aren't wealthy (WDW historically has gotten a disproportionately small number of luxury vacationers, which is a market they've targeted heavily in recent years). I cited some numbers in my previous posting, and as I concluded earlier, there are plenty of people vacationing there who have no business being there to begin with (e.g. people collecting entitlement programs), and many oodles of others who shouldn't be there (e.g. people without adequate savings).

And while WDW may be expensive, you can certainly control costs: how you get there, how you get around, where you stay, where you eat, what you spend on incidentals, etc. The numbers that are consistently tossed around within these forums for what an average tourist should spend should be reserved for those who are financially well out, not "average." You don't need to fly Southwest; instead, you can fly a budget airline and pack light -- it's a $70 savings for every bag you didn't bring, and a quick trip to Walmart will recover the items you didn't bring for cheap (toiletries, t-shirts for $1-$5, sandals for less than $10, etc.; a $100 basket at Walmart could save you hundreds more on the airfare). And there's nothing "magical" about a corn dog, Mickey Mouse ice cream and bottle of water for $20 per person - instead, spend less than that preparing lunch for the entire family and enjoy it while taking a nap at your hotel. It'll make that $200 dinner at Ohana taste that much better (and the overall cost of food/beverage manageable). You get the point...

I couldn’t afford it in my 20’s. I am 55 now. I have one child, 13 now. When we started, we had no idea how much we would enjoy it. We kept going back. After an 8 day Beach club trip that cost $8000 I concluded I had to do something to control costs. Our House is paid for so no longer do we have mortgage expenses. So, we bought DVC. Now I can predict my lodging expenses (maintenance fees) so I stay in very nice resorts for a pittance. Some years it’s one trip, sometimes as many as 3. We actually are in a year hiatus because a VGC waitlist didn’t come through (oh well, those are the breaks....). I know it will cost around $1000 to get three of us to either Florida or California (yes, with airline rewards sometimes). Then it comes down to Park tickets & food expenses which we budget for. EVERYTHING changes when you become mortgage free. And, we choose to enjoy this while we can instead of saving everything for retirement when we may or may not enjoy it depending on health.

I was a regular poster on this particular board up until about 10 or so years ago, maybe a bit longer. I was even a DVC owner back then, but sold it years ago. This was almost exclusively the only board that I read or posted on because I enjoy personal finance in general. For some reason my original name (dvcgirl) was not available to me any longer (possibly due to inactivity?)....so I just took the name dvcgirl67 because it was the original name with my birth year. I haven't been to Disney World in ten years, but I am struck that the same themes are just as prevalent now as they were then. I came back because we're contemplating a trip in 2021. So many new additions in the World!
All of that to say....if you're wondering how all of these people are taking all of those Disney vacations....you're asking the correct questions.
Hey @dvcgirl67, i remember you! Or more specifically, the personal finance posts. Welcome back

Im 33 and in my 20s there would be zero chance of funding a disney trip. The only reason my family can fund them now is due to my husbands job. We have alot of student loans and a mortgage but its all planned out and being payed down quiet fast (now that we are more organized with our money) we claim zero on taxes and use that as a forced savings account. We also use the disney visa for all purchases and pay it off in full everymonth. Once we get to about 500+ points we switch to our jetblue card and rack up more points for flights.

We have started to rent DVC now and it is looking like in a few years once the student loans are gone and both cars payed off we might buy in. Even tho we can now afford it we still try and save as much as we can. Everybit helps :D

I think everyone’s situation is different and we don’t know all the facts, being on the outside, no matter how well we think we know them.

In my 20s we could have done Disney much more often - more disposable income, less responsibilities, no kid, and I was way more replaceable at work since I was more junior, so easier to get time off approved. But back then I was a foolish mortal and thought Disney was mainly for kids/families so we didn’t take our first trip until we had a child.

When I start comparing my life to what other people publicly share about theirs - I try to remind myself that comparison is the thief of joy. And that I’m at work so shouldn’t be on FB so much.

I think it also depends on where you live. Once you get to Disney all costs are the same. It's the getting there than differs. I fly out of Boston and BOS-MCO flights are extremely expensive. Actually, since I'm a teacher and bound to school vacation weeks, I am always paying top dollar for flights. I have flown into JAX and TPA before and always check the flights out of Providence and Manchester as well. One time we drove to JFK for a cheaper flight but the return trip traffic from NYC to Boston was horrible--won't do that again!

With all due respect, this is an asinine thought process, and the fact that a large number of posters "liked" it is disturbing. Do you have a job? Do/did you go to school? If so, why? You could be dead tomorrow, you should be enjoying life!

What a stupid response. I have had a job for 28 years as a software engineer. I currently make $140K a year and I barely think I can afford a WDW vacation. You think only someone making as much as I do should be able to enjoy a WDW vacation? I am involved in my community I don't just work with a bunch of 6-figure income people and think that is America. I see the real America. People working 2 jobs in order to get full time week. No benefits. You think they should just concentrate on building up their emergency fund their whole life and never really live? They don't need to go to WDW every year, but hey I won't fault them for dreaming a little and trying to go at least once while their kids are still young.

Sheesh, get lost heartless.

What a stupid response. I have had a job for 28 years as a software engineer. I currently make $140K a year and I barely think I can afford a WDW vacation. You think only someone making as much as I do should be able to enjoy a WDW vacation? I am involved in my community I don't just work with a bunch of 6-figure income people and think that is America. I see the real America. People working 2 jobs in order to get full time week. No benefits. You think they should just concentrate on building up their emergency fund their whole life and never really live? They don't need to go to WDW every year, but hey I won't fault them for dreaming a little and trying to go at least once while their kids are still young.

I agree with you on this but no one should go into financial ruin for a vacation. Always plan and skrimp and save your way.

What's stupid is pretending that trips to WDW are a basic human right. They're a luxury, just like having the latest iPhone, shopping at Whole Foods, buying clothes at Nordstrom and owning a late model BMW. If you're living paycheck to paycheck, these items are not for you; the thousands of dollars that a trip to WDW cost would be better invested elsewhere in your life than that one week of enjoyment.
As I mentioned earlier, I previously worked as a financial counselor (I'm a finance guy, with all the necessary fancy degrees, certificates and licenses) for both the County (and I continue to do contract work from time-to-work) and as well as a (volunteer position) non-profit. It always amuses me how people seeking other people's money to help them cover an expense use the same logic you and others have to justify their poor spending habits. Sadly, many young adults cannot differentiate between a discretionary and non-discretionary item.

If you have young children and you're living paycheck-to-paycheck, try taking them on an activity-filled road trip. Ultimately, they'll enjoy the time they spent with mom & dad, and it will be a more enriching experience for them.

If you have zero debt other than reasonable mortgage/student loan (pay off credit card balance every month), max out 401(k) at work, max out yearly IRA contribution, then I say visit WDW/DL as much as you want.

Your time on Earth is finite and each day you work you are trading your time for money. Therefore, the amount of money you will earn in your lifetime is finite. You can spend and enjoy earlier in life (20-30s), invest the saved money and have much more to spend later in life (40-50s), or somewhere in between.

If I may give an unsolicited advice, if one was 20-30's in age, single, plan to have a family later, and have some money to burn, use your time and energy to do things now, that will be hard to do later with a family. Go climb mountains. Hike the Pacific Crest Trail. Travel the world with friends, eat strange foods, and suffer food poisoning. Work crazy hard, jump from one company to a better position at another. Move from one city to another. WDW/DL will be there when you are older and happy to welcome you when you have kid(s) and/or are no longer in shape (speaking for myself :) ). None of the above things I mentioned are so easy once you are settled down and your vacation schedule are locked into your kid(s) spring, summer, and winter breaks.

If you have zero debt other than reasonable mortgage/student loan (pay off credit card balance every month), max out 401(k) at work, max out yearly IRA contribution, then I say visit WDW/DL as much as you want.

Your time on Earth is finite and each day you work you are trading your time for money. Therefore, the amount of money you will earn in your lifetime is finite. You can spend and enjoy earlier in life (20-30s), invest the saved money and have much more to spend later in life (40-50s), or somewhere in between.

If I may give an unsolicited advice, if one was 20-30's in age, single, plan to have a family later, and have some money to burn, use your time and energy to do things now, that will be hard to do later with a family. Go climb mountains. Hike the Pacific Crest Trail. Travel the world with friends, eat strange foods, and suffer food poisoning. Work crazy hard, jump from one company to a better position at another. Move from one city to another. WDW/DL will be there when you are older and happy to welcome you when you have kid(s) and/or are no longer in shape (speaking for myself :) ). None of the above things I mentioned are so easy once you are settled down and your vacation schedule are locked into your kid(s) spring, summer, and winter breaks.
Or have children early and have them out of the house in your 40s while you still have energy, time and money. LOL. There is no wrong way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter