How do we get from Disney World to Universal Orlando without renting a car?

k3chantal

DIS Veteran
Hi:
We are ending our Disney trip with a visit to Universal Orlando. I know that they are 20 minutes apart. Without renting a car, is there a shuttle or bus that runs between the two? How hard would it be to get a taxi and does anyone know how pricey that would be? Any other ideas? (We are using the Magical Express to get to Disney.)

Does Universal Orlando have a shuttle that runs to the airport? (We are planning on staying in one of the three hotels on their property.)

Thanks!

Universal does not have a shuttle. Mears runs shuttles between the two resorts and to the airport.
mearstransportation.com

Another option is renting a town car to Universal and then from Universal to the airport. Round trip should be about $110.

if you do not transfer to the UO hotels during rush hours, your taxi can cost you $35. + tip.

taxi to the airport from UO hotels, about the same money frame.
you are closer to MCO when you are at UO hotels rather than the disney hotels.

you are paying for time in the taxi and mileage.
usually 4 passengers for the taxi.

you can get car service for about $100.
it would be considered a rt booking.

mears has a shuttle that does service UO hotels.
if you have many in your group, it could cost you more than renting a car, hiring private car service or taxis.

or you could take the DME back to MCO when you check out from wdw resorts and do the transportation from mco to UO, then back.

Hi, I asked this question as well over on the WDW boards since we plan to take one day to do Universal, if only to check out Harry Potter which we haven't seen yet. I found that you can get Mears Shuttle for 19.00 per person round trip and they will pick you up at your WDW resort!! :)

My DD and I did this at Thanksgiving. We were staying at Universal's RP and just got the next taxi or car service in line in front of the RP. We had a private company (they were the next in line and very nice byt he way) going to DTD and it cost around 40.00. On the way back from Disney to Universal's RP we did the same thing, but we were at the GF when we decided to leave. Yellow Taxi, same procedure, next one in line in front of the GF. This cost was about $40 or $41 and was more like a regular taxi ride, fast and no chit chat. Just tell the bellman you need a taxi and tell him/her where you want to go, they just signal for the taxi and then you get in and go. It was nice not to have anything preschduled so we could just leave whenever we wanted to do so. I think the price would have been the same for 3 or 4 people too.

Hi, I asked this question as well over on the WDW boards since we plan to take one day to do Universal, if only to check out Harry Potter which we haven't seen yet. I found that you can get Mears Shuttle for 19.00 per person round trip and they will pick you up at your WDW resort!! :)

the mears shuttle is good for the price if you have a small group.

once you have 4 to pay for, would be cheaper/faster in getting a cab.

My DD and I did this at Thanksgiving. We were staying at Universal's RP and just got the next taxi or car service in line in front of the RP. We had a private company (they were the next in line and very nice byt he way) going to DTD and it cost around 40.00. On the way back from Disney to Universal's RP we did the same thing, but we were at the GF when we decided to leave. Yellow Taxi, same procedure, next one in line in front of the GF. This cost was about $40 or $41 and was more like a regular taxi ride, fast and no chit chat. Just tell the bellman you need a taxi and tell him/her where you want to go, they just signal for the taxi and then you get in and go. It was nice not to have anything preschduled so we could just leave whenever we wanted to do so. I think the price would have been the same for 3 or 4 people too.

This is what I would prefer to do (no pre-scheduled stuff so we can just hop in and go when we are ready) but we will have 10 in our group. Are there taxi vans available that will accommodate more than 4? If we let bell services know 15 minutes or so before we leave, would we be able to request a taxi van be available?

I don't know about 10 people but you could ask and see what bell services suggest. Good luck!

We have 10 people in our group. I've been trying to figure out the best way to get to Universal from the Wilderness Lodge. I think I am going to get the ticket deal w/transfer. We did that before with a smaller group just didn't like the ride back since we had a to stop at lots of different hotels. Took well over an hour. If I buy the tickets from Undercover Tourist and pay for 2 taxis it come out about the same. Decisions Decisions!

I have a wife and two children. From what I have heard, the 4 of us won't have a problem getting a Taxi from the WDW Resort (just ask the bellman and he can call the closest one up). But how do I get a Taxi outside of IOA? I have never noticed Taxis before outside of theme parks. So what is the process for getting a Taxi at IOA to travel back to my WDW resort? From what I have been told it will cost between 35-40 dollar each way. So it sounds to me this is comparable to Mears in terms of price and is more convenient. Am I correct?

I have a wife and two children. From what I have heard, the 4 of us won't have a problem getting a Taxi from the WDW Resort (just ask the bellman and he can call the closest one up). But how do I get a Taxi outside of IOA? I have never noticed Taxis before outside of theme parks. So what is the process for getting a Taxi at IOA to travel back to my WDW resort? From what I have been told it will cost between 35-40 dollar each way. So it sounds to me this is comparable to Mears in terms of price and is more convenient. Am I correct?

More like $45 plus tip for a taxi. You can grab a taxi at CityWalk - between the two parks head towards the parking garage - on the way down to the garage you will see the cabs.

So glad to see this topic! We are thinking of hopping over for Harry Potter-this is helpful, Thx!!

You walk through city walk towards the car park go down the escalator on the right hand side and there is a man directing people to the next taxi never get a bus/mears it will take way to long picking up and dropping off the holiday costs thousands the taxi is a few $ also you can leave and arrive at your own time

To anyone that has done the ticket with the transportation deal- do you know if it is possible to be picked up at 1 Disney Resort (CBR) and get dropped off at another (Poly)? I have reservations for Ohana at 7:50 and would be nervous to miss it because of a prolonged return trip. TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter