How do you combat your Disney blues?

winnieofpooh

DIS Veteran
We leave for our next trip on August 15th and I feel like I'm dying over here! Our last trip was only 1.5 years ago, but it feels like a lifetime! Other than packing up and flying to Disney right now, what are some tips to get you through the Disney blues? Right now, I've been listening to the park background music at work and bought Mickey Bars for at home.

I stream the Magic Kingdom entrance loop from youtube.... Gives me an hour of getaway... then I hit up one of the other parks (usually EPCOT)

I'm curious as to how wide spread the Disney blues are. Because of how much time I spent at WDW, I will never get it. I'm not sure that's a good thing though. I remember, about 100 years ago, when I couldn't wait to go. The anticipation was amazing.

I have it and it's bad. We were there last month and the blues are increasingly worse. The "dread" of going home starts to creep in about a day before. IDK when we will be able to go back.

Usually park loop music, youtube videos, forums would help. Not so much anymore. :(

We leave for our next trip on August 15th and I feel like I'm dying over here! Our last trip was only 1.5 years ago, but it feels like a lifetime! Other than packing up and flying to Disney right now, what are some tips to get you through the Disney blues? Right now, I've been listening to the park background music at work and bought Mickey Bars for at home.

August 15 sounds like heaven to me - my trip isn't until November 17! Normally I don't even let myself get "into the Disboards" until maximum of 2 months out from my trip, but I can't help it, I'm getting all caught up in the threads again. It DOES help. My last trip was the first week of June last year, so over a year now. THE PAIN!

I also went down some Youtube rabbitholes last night. Dreamfinder, old Journey into Imagination videos (the rainbow tunnel!), etc.

We only go every 3 - 4 years. I'm never sure if we'll "definitely" go back, so I do get the blues when I come home. I try to avoid all things WDW for a while. I start to feel better when I plan other vacations, then I feel great when I actually go on the other vacations. :rotfl:

Our upcoming trip is May 2020 and I won't feel so bad because I know we are going back in 2023. :)

We went two years in a row, and we are taking some other trips, including a non-Disney cruise in January. I know our kids want to include Universal on our next Orlando trip.

Part of the fun of a WDW trip is the planning. I love looking at the Birnbaum guide for the millionth time hoping that there is a secret page that I missed with all new attractions. Part of the planning is also reminiscing. When I ask the kids which restaurants they want to eat at on the upcoming trip, we usually start talking about memories we've had there. Or when we discuss which FP+ to get, we might start talking about the first time we rode something, or how when we first started going, the kids we too short to ride.

Normally we only can afford to go every 2 or 3 years. This year, we managed to go twice in 6 months. I do just about everything suggested in the other posts. In addition to that, I scrapbook with all of the photos. I still haven't finished scrapbooking our first trip this year, let alone our second. All of the photos are waiting for me...

I work on planning the next trip, and I read Theme Park Tourist's histories of attractions that are gone now.

That being said, when I find myself fixating on Disney--when all I want to think about is planning my next trip or obsessing over park histories--that's usually a reaction to my regular life being stressful and my brain seeking an escape. So I try to stop, examine what's going on, and identify sources of stress in my life that I can let go of, as well as positive things in my day-to-day existence in which I can reinvest my energy. When I'm able to live more in the present and enjoy my regular life, the Disney Blues largely go away.

That being said, when I find myself fixating on Disney--when all I want to think about is planning my next trip or obsessing over park histories--that's usually a reaction to my regular life being stressful and my brain seeking an escape. So I try to stop, examine what's going on, and identify sources of stress in my life that I can let go of, as well as positive things in my day-to-day existence in which I can reinvest my energy. When I'm able to live more in the present and enjoy my regular life, the Disney Blues largely go away.

I can relate to this so much! I have had a pretty high stress year-ish and I have noticed when things get pretty hectic I immerse myself in trip planning so I'm getting lost in research and the DIS and all things Disney. Then the other day I made the connection to when I go through my intense Disney obsessive spurts and when it slows down, in comparisons to my day to day life. And lo and behold, there is a peak during high stress times. It really is an escapism for me, so I agree with you on working on reinvesting that energy into my day to day life so then I don't have the Disney blues and am less stressed! Being Disney immersive is still really fun though.

I can relate to this so much! I have had a pretty high stress year-ish and I have noticed when things get pretty hectic I immerse myself in trip planning so I'm getting lost in research and the DIS and all things Disney. Then the other day I made the connection to when I go through my intense Disney obsessive spurts and when it slows down, in comparisons to my day to day life. And lo and behold, there is a peak during high stress times. It really is an escapism for me, so I agree with you on working on reinvesting that energy into my day to day life so then I don't have the Disney blues and am less stressed! Being Disney immersive is still really fun though.

For sure! I don't want to be a downer about it since researching and planning trips is a big part of the fun of going, and a certain amount of that is good both because a well-planned trip will run more smoothly and because it's just plain fun. A little escapism here and there isn't a bad thing, either! I just find that for myself it's a red flag when it's all I'm interested in.

so its not just me. we leave july 31st. right now these boards and a lot of youtube videos. also watching disney movies and i bought a now thats disney cd to play in the car on the way to work but not too much because we are driving this year and dont want to wear the cds out. i got the luggage out of the basement to clean and can put things in i know i dont need like the ponchos.

I had the blues since i got back in November. So much so that i planned an impromptu weekend trip a month out :scared:
not the norm.
I usually listen to park music, my favorite show is Fantasmic so occasionally i will watch the whole thing on youtube to make myself happy.
just planning and crunching numbers for my next trip helps too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter