How do you feel about wearing a mask at Disney parks?

How do you feel about wearing a mask while at a Disney Park?

• If wearing a mask means the parks can open sooner, I'll wear one. I just want to be able to go!

• Wearing masks would detract from the Disney experience I love so much! I won't go if I have to mask

Results are only viewable after voting.
When did you place your order for the Disney masks? No notice yet for the order I placed on Apr. 30. Yep, it's hot today.
I had to go back and look at my order. I placed it on 4/30 also for 1 set of Disney princesses and 1 PIXAR set. I checked the tracking number and they left Memphis yesterday. When I placed the order, it said the estimated delivery date was June 15th. I guess they got these particular ones in stock sooner than they thought. Hope you get your shipping notice soon.

Personally, I wouldn’t feel comfortable visiting Disney before a vaccine was available unless everyone was wearing a mask. I have found that there is a wide range in comfort, weight, breathability, etc. and that each of my family members prefers a different style.

I do definitely understand those people who are planning a “once in a lifetime” vacation or who have young children who might struggle with masks postponing. We just have teens, and our trips are planned for October and February—so not the hottest part of the year.

Personally, I wouldn’t feel comfortable visiting Disney before a vaccine was available unless everyone was wearing a mask. I have found that there is a wide range in comfort, weight, breathability, etc. and that each of my family members prefers a different style.

I do definitely understand those people who are planning a “once in a lifetime” vacation or who have young children who might struggle with masks postponing. We just have teens, and our trips are planned for October and February—so not the hottest part of the year.
Oct. and Feb can be just as hot as Aug. We went last week of Oct and it was in the 90s. Be prepared.

Oct. and Feb can be just as hot as Aug. We went last week of Oct and it was in the 90s. Be prepared.

Yup. We’ve been in January and had it be in the upper 80s. No guarantees. If we end up there in hot weather, we’ll probably just use paper masks, as those seem to feel the lightest.

Just bought a haunted mansion themed gaiter. Hoping that will help me breathe a little easier than the masks I have now

I’m glad you mentioned this. I ordered several today for our trip hoping that they will be allowed. They aren’t Disney.. but they’re pretty cool. 8409563A-509C-486B-A602-4D4D332D63D0.jpeg

I posted this on the other thread that closed: Disney can do/require whatever they please. They are a private business. People on this thread are talking as if Disney is setting policy for the entire United States. I think it’s smart given the current climate to require masks/face coverings of all guests. If you can’t comply with that requirement then don’t go. It’s pretty simple.
I just hope they are willing to accept being pleased when their park attendance is considerably lower than they expect due to their face covering requirements. I am in the large crowd who will not make a trip to WDW until their face covering requirementis lifted.

This I believe is the discussion we, in the DIS forum should be having. Disney has said they WILL be required - discussion over, what kind of mask (face covering?) is allowed, and what is the most comfortable for a day in the heat and humidity? I almost pulled the trigger on a gaiter but had a couple of concerns;
  1. Do gaiters stay up on your nose or are you constantly re-adjusting them all day? I thought of a simple modification with a draw string at the top if they don't.
  2. Are gaiters any more comfortable than another kind of mask?
  3. Is there any difference between brands of gaiters? Do some stay up better than others? Do some work better as cooling masks (like the cooling towels)?
  4. Most importantly, are they allowed per Disney regulations? Does "face coverings (gaiters) = face masks?
Waiting to make sure my Aug trip will not get cancelled, looking better with the UA announcement, but if it doesn't, we are going, and we need to be as comfortable as possible.

Gaiters can stay up for a lengthy time, but it depends on the gaiter and how you fit it/adjust it initially. There are some adjustable gaiters available e.g. Eclipse makes an adjustible and non-adjustible sun protective gaiter: https://eclipseglove.com/collections/neck-gaiters-classic-and-adjustable

IME gaiters can be more comfortable than many kinds of masks, but much depends on the fabric it is made out of [or the masks are made out of]. Of course, it also depends on the reason for wear one or the other and whether it will meet your purpose.

Definitely differences between brands. Some are made of fabrics deisgned to be cooling (e.g. the Eclipse ones) and as such use a technical fabric. Others not so much. Some have good sun protective capabilities, others not so much.

Per the Disney website they require "Face coverings required for Guests ages 3 and up" (https://www.disneysprings.com/reopening/) specifically:

Face Coverings: All Guests ages 3 and older are required to wear face coverings when visiting Walt Disney World Resort.

All face coverings should:

• Fully cover an individual’s nose and mouth and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops
  • Be made of breathable material, either disposable or reusable
Costume masks are not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.

Guests are required to wear face coverings at all times, except while dining. The use of face coverings should not be seen as a substitute for physical distancing. Guests must provide their own disposable or reusable face covering.

END QUOTE

A gaiter meets all but "be secured with ties or ear loops".

Hopefully someone can report on whether Disney accepts a gaiter or not.

A gaiter meets all but "be secured with ties or ear loops".
I'm not from Disney, but it looks like the letter of the law states it must be tied (ie. Bandana) or a mask. A gaiter or at least any that I've seen do not meet that criteria. I'm sure someone has come up with the idea and will be making some $$ soon. Same with a scarf or turtleneck or shirt pulled up over your nose and mouth. I'm interested to see if they have let them slide in Disney Springs with those on.

I'm not from Disney, but it looks like the letter of the law states it must be tied (ie. Bandana) or a mask. A gaiter or at least any that I've seen do not meet that criteria. I'm sure someone has come up with the idea and will be making some $$ soon. Same with a scarf or turtleneck or shirt pulled up over your nose and mouth. I'm interested to see if they have let them slide in Disney Springs with those on.

I’ve seen gaiters with ear loops being marketed. I guess the manufacturers were in the loop :)

I won't be going to the parks if they require masks.
I literally can't breathe with masks on because of my asthma and my little brother has autism and can't stand the things, so we're basically both out if masks are required, which sucks. :/

We have a Disney trip planned in November and now o just booked. Beaches resort vacation that same week. Still not sure which one we will go on. Our 12 yr old would rather do beaches if we have to wear masks at Disney. Like she said, we can always go back to Disney and get the full experience in a couple years. Our little one was going to do BBB and CRT on her birthday but if there are no meet and greets or if the princesses are wearing masks, we will cancel.

I just hope they are willing to accept being pleased when their park attendance is considerably lower than they expect due to their face covering requirements. I am in the large crowd who will not make a trip to WDW until their face covering requirementis lifted.
They’ll be pleased just to be open to figure out how best to navigate this new world we have entered into, just like most businesses who have been shutdown for 2 months now.

Wore a mask to the grocery store today. At some point I thought I was going to pass out, so I found an empty aisle, took off my mask, and just leaned heavily in my cart.

I’m very fearful that masks will be required forever. Not just at Disney, but anywhere. don’t know what I’ll do if that’s the case. It’s like I have a psychological barrier that kicks in with a mask when I’m out in public.

It's super unlikely, for thousands of reasons ranging from more to less cynical, that masks would be required everywhere forever. Until a proper treatment for Covid is developed, possibly.

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but just wanted to say...I'd love to go to the parks with a mask on, but the summer temps and humidity would make it miserable for me, so I would wait until temps cool down

I thought I'd check in on this thread and share a few practical thoughts after doing 4-5 hour shifts of volunteer outdoor garden/maintenance work in a mask the past couple of days (small group of 5 people, two of which are family members of mine, the other two are not):

1. Fit is key. I wore homemade fabric masks both days. Yesterday's style has a bit of extra fabric bunching in front of my mouth and was pretty icky by the end of the work session. Today's style is a bit more face-formed and was a lot better even though today was warmer and I spent more time in the sun.
2. Not joking here, mints and mint lip balm are also key. Seriously.
3. If we end up going to WDW in July as planned, I'm going to want at least 2-3 clean masks per day to swap out.
4. It wasn't a big deal to keep hydrated by taking one ear off by the elastic and putting it back on afterward.
5. For lunchtime we just made sure we sanitized and wiped down and stayed 6+ feet away from one another.

We'll be back at it next weekend. I plan to try a disposable mask one of the days and see how that compares.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!