How do you feel about wearing a mask at Disney parks?

How do you feel about wearing a mask while at a Disney Park?

• If wearing a mask means the parks can open sooner, I'll wear one. I just want to be able to go!

• Wearing masks would detract from the Disney experience I love so much! I won't go if I have to mask

Results are only viewable after voting.
I agree that masks are safer, but my 7 year old daughter hates them, and they are difficult to wear in the heat. We went cherry picking this weekend and it was close to 90 degrees. It was very hard wearing the mask for 1 hour and I honestly wouldn't be able to tolerate it for a long day at Disney, especially not in the summer. Plus I have a 1 year old who definitely won't wear a mask. I know if is not required for under age 3, but then I feel like he is more exposed.

Will masks be required at the water parks? That seems even more problematic to me.

I agree that masks are safer, but my 7 year old daughter hates them, and they are difficult to wear in the heat. We went cherry picking this weekend and it was close to 90 degrees. It was very hard wearing the mask for 1 hour and I honestly wouldn't be able to tolerate it for a long day at Disney, especially not in the summer. Plus I have a 1 year old who definitely won't wear a mask. I know if is not required for under age 3, but then I feel like he is more exposed.

Will masks be required at the water parks? That seems even more problematic to me.
the only guidelines we have for waterparks are from Volcano Bay and you can not wear one on the water rides but they are recommended for walking around

I’m wondering how pictures will be handled. When I hear “masks required,” I think that they are required at all times. But I’ve seem a handful of posed photos of mask-less people at DS or CW. Apparently these are acceptable? I would be miffed if I cancelled a vacation (where photos are a factor) and saw a bunch of photos of people not wearing masks while posed in front of the castle.

We cannot control other people. If they choose not to follow the rules, that's on them and the poor CMs are only going to be able to do so much to enforce the rules. If photos are important for your trip, I would cancel and wait until masks are no longer required to go.

There are plenty of photos from Shanghai with masks off.
I would imagine its relatively safe unless someone is trying to photobomb you.
It would be easy to maintain social distancing requirements for safety.

We cannot control other people. If they choose not to follow the rules, that's on them and the poor CMs are only going to be able to do so much to enforce the rules. If photos are important for your trip, I would cancel and wait until masks are no longer required to go.
I understand this. I’ll still be annoyed though. Especially if the people without masks are the same people who keep saying “if you don’t like it, don’t go.”

I understand the reasons for the masks but personally I don't think I will go to Disney while masks are required. Not because it takes away from the magic but because I find them uncomfortable when wearing for long periods of time. When wearing them in a store, I can't wait to take it off after only 20 minutes or so. I'm not going to enjoy wearing one in the Florida heat for an entire day. Disney is not a cheap place to be and if I'm not going to be comfortable because I'm forced to wear a mask, then I will wait to go back; to me it's not worth spending the money and being uncomfortable all week. Just my two cents.

An additional thought regarding masks and pics... I find they leave lines on my face for hours. We decided if we have to wear masks we're going to go "light" on pix. Honestly, we have so many pics it will be a bit of a break. But I can see how it would impact "once in a lifetime" type trips or those for special occasions where pix are important.

I absolutely do not want to wear a mask. But will it cause me to cancel my September trip? No. DH and I can deal. Now if we were bringing the kids this time, I might be re-thinking.

Last edited:
Please remember the topic is how you feel about wearing masks at the parks not the effectiveness of it against the virus

Well, my 7 year old DS has mastered keeping his mask on indoors, I don’t know how long this would last outdoors. Hopefully it’s just indoors.

I see that the new guide lines are mask are "REQUIRED". I'm going to be honest, if I'm required to wear a mask, I'm not going. Can anybody explain if this is a "phased" plan to re-open with having the mask required? Or do we even know? My trip is schedule in November. I guess a lot can change between now and then.

I see that the new guide lines are mask are "REQUIRED". I'm going to be honest, if I'm required to wear a mask, I'm not going. Can anybody explain if this is a "phased" plan to re-open with having the mask required? Or do we even know? My trip is schedule in November. I guess a lot can change between now and then.

Masks will be required until they otherwise. No idea how long it'd be. Could be a month, could be 6 months, could be a year, who knows.

I believe the "phased" aspect is that DVC resorts are opening in June, other resort hotels and MK and AK are opening July 11, and EP/HS are opening July 15, and water parks are a mystery. I expect masks will continue be required as long as Disney feels the virus is still a threat, but there is no plan at present to phase them out--I don't think we'll know that until this fall or later.

Masks will be required until they otherwise. No idea how long it'd be. Could be a month, could be 6 months, could be a year, who knows.
True... I wonder how things will be handled during hurricane season when those of us on the coast book rooms at WDW if we evacuate.

I am sure, as much feedback as they have been receiving, that as soon as the county and state drop the mask requirements for large gatherings, Disney will drop it too. That is going to be entirely data related, so Disney wouldn’t know how long the requirements would be in place either. It all depends on whether the virus starts spreading rapidly again, or if it remains flat and/or goes down. They may make it optional for a while once they aren’t necessary, so that people can wear one if they feel more comfortable doing so, but I don’t think they will require it any longer than they have to.

I am sure, as much feedback as they have been receiving, that as soon as the county and state drop the mask requirements for large gatherings, Disney will drop it too. That is going to be entirely data related, so Disney wouldn’t know how long the requirements would be in place either. It all depends on whether the virus starts spreading rapidly again, or if it remains flat and/or goes down. They may make it optional for a while once they aren’t necessary, so that people can wear one if they feel more comfortable doing so, but I don’t think they will require it any longer than they have to.
Disney is a publicly traded company. Public companies tend to follow local and federal guidance whichever is more strict. The masks requirement will be in force until the CDC drops the guidance. My two cents.

I believe the "phased" aspect is that DVC resorts are opening in June, other resort hotels and MK and AK are opening July 11, and EP/HS are opening July 15, and water parks are a mystery. I expect masks will continue be required as long as Disney feels the virus is still a threat, but there is no plan at present to phase them out--I don't think we'll know that until this fall or later.

I wouldn't think the face covering requirement would be lifted quickly, like you stated. The requirement itself would be coupled with lower capacities to allow for distancing, and help deter some guests from visiting and keeping the numbers down, perceived safety measure for compliance, lower liability for lawsuits, etc. With the typical high crowds during the holidays... For our trips in Sept and Dec., I was kind of expecting the face coverings, and controlled crowds, would be required during both stays. If no 2nd breakout in the winter, maybe the typical downturn in early Jan would be a target for less restrictions. Although we commonly hear of experts expecting an increase in cases this winter.

Hopefully the wearing of masks will change with the phases. By November I hope required is over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!