How do you feel about wearing a mask at Disney parks?

How do you feel about wearing a mask while at a Disney Park?

• If wearing a mask means the parks can open sooner, I'll wear one. I just want to be able to go!

• Wearing masks would detract from the Disney experience I love so much! I won't go if I have to mask

Results are only viewable after voting.
that's awesome, I'll look in amazon. I got a new surgical one from DS yesterday.
Yeah, early on they were really hard to get and sellers were scalping them at stupid prices, but they seem to be readily available again at a reasonable cost. Mine came yesterday and they're perfectly good masks.

We live in Texas and I recently went to an open area mall. It is similar in style to Disney Spring and has shops and lots of restaurants. It would make sense in my opinion, for people to not wear masks when walking outside, but have to put them on for stores and attractions. All the research suggests that it does not spread very well outdoors. That was the procedure in the open air mall in Texas. I do think there will be issues with compliance and overcrowding in the rest areas. I know don't go if you don't want to wear a mask, but four hours into it the overwhelming desire to take it off is going to hit a lot of people.

We live in Texas and I recently went to an open area mall. It is similar in style to Disney Spring and has shops and lots of restaurants. It would make sense in my opinion, for people to not wear masks when walking outside, but have to put them on for stores and attractions. All the research suggests that it does not spread very well outdoors. That was the procedure in the open air mall in Texas. I do think there will be issues with compliance and overcrowding in the rest areas. I know don't go if you don't want to wear a mask, but four hours into it the overwhelming desire to take it off is going to hit a lot of people.

You can not compare the two. Your local mall is not Disney which is one of the most visited tourist destination.

Also putting aside the idea if we should wear masks or not. If the requirement was to put on a mask indoors but not elsewhere I can already see Disney security's heads spinning with enforcement. They will have people putting masks in backpacks, then a thunderstorm roll up, run in door, and then fumble around for 5 mins trying to find the mask.

Just saying I can only really see a "always" on or a "never" needed.

I'll wait to go. Just wearing a mask in stores, I start feeling like I can't breathe and have to lower the top while outside to take a deep breath. Since my thyroid removal, I'm sensitive to heat. wearing a hot mask and not feeling I can get a good breath sounds like a horrid way to spend my vacation. So yeah, I'll wait.

You can not compare the two. Your local mall is not Disney which is one of the most visited tourist destination.

Also putting aside the idea if we should wear masks or not. If the requirement was to put on a mask indoors but not elsewhere I can already see Disney security's heads spinning with enforcement. They will have people putting masks in backpacks, then a thunderstorm roll up, run in door, and then fumble around for 5 mins trying to find the mask.

Just saying I can only really see a "always" on or a "never" needed.

Regarding thunderstorms and rain. My wife and I were having a breakfast discussion on that this morning. Really wondering how that's going to work. First, masks get wet, second, everyone runs inside, 3rd, social distancing goes out the window. Honestly, I think it easier to NOT have the outdoor mask requirement and make it indoors only. For a number of reasons, but the rain being one of them.

Face coverings in July in FL when sun and heat kill the virus? How many more people are they going to have collapsing from heat exhaustion? Going to wait a little longer to see if anything changes, but probably going to cancel my trip.
We traveled to St Augustine last weekend and outside masks weren't required. Most stores and hotel lobbys required or recommended masks inside. It worked out great and we had a very nice experience. The outdoor mask wearing in Florida, would be misery.

I totally understand that wearing a mask outside will be miserable, but I also understand why making it indoor-only simply won't work. Disney is an indoor-outdoor venue. You are constantly going back and forth, getting in an outdoor queue for an indoor attraction, then coming back outside and then walking into a shop and then back outside and then into another shop and then outside and then into another attraction and then out and then into a restaurant for lunch and out again and on and on. Expecting people to put their masks on and off a few dozen times a day isn't practical. It makes far more sense to just require guests to wear them the whole time.

I understand why they’re doing it, but we go in the summer, and I personally couldn’t handle Orlando heat with a mask on. We don’t have a trip scheduled until June 2021, but we won’t go if masks are still required (though I find that extremely unlikely by then.... I hope!)

We also have a November trip to DLR scheduled. We would wear masks there at that time of year, but we’d probably cut our visit down to just one day.

I understand why they’re doing it, but we go in the summer, and I personally couldn’t handle Orlando heat with a mask on. We don’t have a trip scheduled until June 2021, but we won’t go if masks are still required (though I find that extremely unlikely by then.... I hope!)

We also have a November trip to DLR scheduled. We would wear masks there at that time of year, but we’d probably cut our visit down to just one day.
Agree 100%. I understand exactly why masks are required now. People need to respect the safety of others, wear them as required, or stay home in the heat. But sure hope masks are a very short-term requirement and become something we look back on in the future as "something we had to do back in 2020 - hope we never have to do that again!"

I know the OP is trying to suppress us from expressing our opinion about the merit of wearing a mask at a theme park, but a DIS moderator in a different mask-related thread that was closed directed the conversation to this thread. With that said, here is my stance on this:

As per both CDC and WHO, face covering and face mask usage is primarily recommended for INDOOR use, it is NOT necessary outdoors as the risk of transmission outdoors is extremely low due to the open space and natural air circulation from being outside in the open air. This leads me to believe that Disney FORCING guests to wear masks outdoors for no reason is no more than for publicity and aesthetic reasons (it gives people an illusion to "feel" safer) even though there is no medical need to do so. In fact, forcing guests to wear masks outdoors will lead to medical issues in itself due to heat exhaustion, heat stroke, and breathing issues when walking through 90+ degree summer heat at a Disney park.. There is simply no logical reason for this other than for publicity and aesthetic reasons as I stated above..

face covering and face mask usage is primarily recommended for INDOOR use, it is NOT necessary outdoors as the risk of transmission outdoors is extremely low due to the open space and natural air circulation
That's true ONLY IF you can also maintain social distancing at all times. In a crowded situation where you are likely to be within 6 feet of others, you should still wear a mask.

Disney World is a perfect example of a spot where a mask is needed outdoors. I guarantee you that no matter what they do, they can't keep every guest 6 feet away from every other guest. Whether it's entering the Epcot front gate, walking down Main Street in Magic Kingdom, or walking through Gorilla Falls trail in Animal Kingdom, there are going to be a lot of other people around you. Sure, there will be lines or dots on the ground in a queue area to encourage social distancing but they won't be everywhere (and people won't always observe them anyway).

So I don’t really want to wear a mask, but I also don’t want to get sick (or unknowingly get someone else sick).

At this point, health and safety are more important to me than comfort, so I support the mask mandate. I would not feel comfortable in a crowded place like Disney unless people were all wearing masks. But given the expense of a trip to Disney, I’m weighing the value of less comfortable trip with masks now vs a potentially more comfortable trip without masks later.

I guess what it comes down to for me is that if masks are required, I might not go. If masks are not required, I definitely won’t go.

So the heat up here in PA has been cranked up the past few days. 90-95 and fairly high humidity. My wife and I go out for daily walks, 3-6 miles, and decided to try out our masks yesterday in the heat. I think I lasted 15 minutes before saying no way. Absolutely no way will this be tolerable on a 10-12 hour day in Florida. Now granted, we walk a fast pace non stop on our daily route, but still, it was NOT a pleasant experience.

I'm fairly fit and could see myself having breathing and other issues after a short while. I tried two types of masks, standard hospital type as well as cloth\bandana style. Both were just way to uncomfortable. The sweat build up, air restriction and warmth in them was just too much.

I get places like Disney wanting you to wear them but honestly, the outdoor mandate is just plain ridiculous. I've been holding off on cancelling our August trip in hopes that either a better deal would be offered for re-booking, or better yet that the ability to move our trip to next year would become available. Alas, I don't think that's going to happen, and after our walk yesterday, both of us, and the kids, decided we just cannot deal with the masks at this time.

I am sorry if this has already been addressed. I read the Disney website that states guest have to wear face masks and from the description, it doesn't sound like gaiters are going to be allowed. However, several you tubers have gone to Disney Springs wearing gaiters and posted videos wearing them. Will Disney allow gaiters as face coverings, since Disney Springs is allowing it?

I don't think anyone except Disney knows the answer to that yet. I'm thinking they will but that is no guarantee. Unfortunately we just have to wait for additional information from Disney.

It will be interesting to see what kind of restrictions WDW puts in place for face coverings. Here in Houston, the County Judge recommended wearing bandannas as face coverings. While they don't offer protection from covid, they would definitely allow some fresh air to be breathed in.
Which makes me think that if there are no set restrictions on face masks, then basically to get in to the park I just have to cover my face with some sort of fabric; even if it offers zero protection, what is the point?

Here is what Disney posted.

Face Coverings
All Guests ages 2 and up—along with Cast Members—are required to wear face coverings when visiting Walt Disney World Resort. Please bring your own face coverings and wear them at all times, except when dining or swimming.
All face coverings should:
  • Fully cover an individual’s nose and mouth and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops
  • Be made of breathable material, either disposable or reusable
Costume masks are not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.
The use of face coverings is not a substitute for physical distancing.

Here is what Disney posted.

Face Coverings
All Guests ages 2 and up—along with Cast Members—are required to wear face coverings when visiting Walt Disney World Resort. Please bring your own face coverings and wear them at all times, except when dining or swimming.
All face coverings should:
  • Fully cover an individual’s nose and mouth and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops
  • Be made of breathable material, either disposable or reusable
Costume masks are not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.
The use of face coverings is not a substitute for physical distancing.

thank you! I am working on making ours, I am making them as small / thin as possible for ease of breathing. My husband wanted a gaiter style, but it seems the ties/ear loops might not allow them.

I made a suggestion in another thread...if you have a gaiter and the top hem is large enough ( if it has a hem ), cut a small slit and run a cord to use as a tie. When I rethread a cord or ribbon I use a small safety pin to push it through to the other side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!